As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stephen Scott's [chat]ada

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ShuttlePC has a coupon code, good for 100 uses, for a free X350 (normally $400). It goes active on the 26th. Guess who's website is already down from heavy traffic. I've been refreshing the thing for an hour, at first I could just get the TLD, now it's coming back as "cannot find server".

say what now?
    If you're one of the first 100 people to add it to your cart on the 26th and apply the coupon code, you get an X350 ShuttlePC for zero dollars.

oh my god i am doing this.

how do i do this?
    Here's the engadget BFD post - http://www.engadget.com/black-friday/2010/

Here's the link to the X350 - http://us.shuttle.com/ConfigurePackage.aspx?package=SYX350-BASIC

Here's the coupon code - UKNOWUWANT1

If you're not one of the first 100 it just gives you $100 off.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    that doesn't make them not evil, daxon

they just don't think they are evil

oh dear.

I suppose humanity is the god-race that is obviously omniscient enough to judge true good and evil?

Evil is an invented concept, so....

On one hand, we're discussing whether or not Bioware are going to twist their own creations into not being evil. Which will matter, because the Reapers are a human invention as well. So human inventions and opinions on "evil" are applicable.

On the other hand, we're discussing whether a race of sentient machines which destroys all life is "evil."

And we're drifting from the One hand to the Other.

Just want to make sure we all are aware.

JamesKeenan on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Seriously, You guys, Hitman is pretty awesome. Especially Hitman 4 and 3. Never played 1, and for some reason those were the only three made, they skipped one. There's a new one on the way and it's going to be great, maybe.

You should ask Tube about it. I hear he loves talking about what happened between Hitman 1 and 3.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Desc I wish I had a micro giraffe.

Sheep on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Witchdr wrote: »
    Also ATTENTION PEOPLE, WATCH OUT THEY DONT NEED PLANES ANYMORE

Incredibly old news: http://flyingsnake.org/

Fine then, how about this HEAT DEATH RAY:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-pistol-shrimp.htm

Incenjucar on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were some top tier voice actors in Fable 3. John Cleese, Simon Peg, Stephen Fry. And they actually used them. I'm always reminded of Fallout 3. Let's cast Liam Neeson and then give him like 2 dozen lines and have him vanish for the first half of the game.

I haven't met the character played by Stephen Fry in Fable III yet, but
    I loved him in Fable II.

They make really good use of his character in the second part of the game, especially if you go good.

Really? The biggest disappointment about meeting him the first time was how soon everything was over afterward.

That's awesome to hear.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

oh dear.

I suppose humanity is the god-race that is obviously omniscient enough to judge true good and evil?

On one hand, we're discussing whether or not Bioware are going to twist their own creations into not being evil. Which will matter, because the Reapers are a human invention as well. So human inventions and opinions on "evil" are applicable.

On the other hand, we're discussing whether a race of sentient machines which destroys all life is "evil."

Thing about your second point.
    The Reapers don't destroy all life though. They destroy sentient life they deem unworthy of living. The worthy sentient life they give a kind of spiritual race-vessel spaceship thing so it can join their community of other spiritual race-vessels.

Daxon on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Seriously, You guys, Hitman is pretty awesome. Especially Hitman 4 and 3. Never played 1, and for some reason those were the only three made, they skipped one. There's a new one on the way and it's going to be great, maybe.

You should ask Tube about it. I hear he loves talking about what happened between Hitman 1 and 3.

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, nothing happened they just skipped a number. I should know, some of my acquaintances once worked for IO, so it's basically like I'm the CEO now, and the final authority on all things Hitman.

jakobagger on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey [chat]. One day till Thanksgiving. I need to get home from work to start cooking. What's up with you?

stevemarks44 on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Something being an invented construct doesn't make it useless, or an inaccurate description of the world. Think of maths.

Leitner on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ShuttlePC has a coupon code, good for 100 uses, for a free X350 (normally $400). It goes active on the 26th. Guess who's website is already down from heavy traffic. I've been refreshing the thing for an hour, at first I could just get the TLD, now it's coming back as "cannot find server".

say what now?
    If you're one of the first 100 people to add it to your cart on the 26th and apply the coupon code, you get an X350 ShuttlePC for zero dollars.

oh my god i am doing this.

how do i do this?
    Here's the engadget BFD post - http://www.engadget.com/black-friday/2010/

Here's the link to the X350 - http://us.shuttle.com/ConfigurePackage.aspx?package=SYX350-BASIC

Here's the coupon code - UKNOWUWANT1

If you're not one of the first 100 it just gives you $100 off.

Camping out for black friday sales in my bedroom

niiice

8-)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There were some top tier voice actors in Fable 3. John Cleese, Simon Peg, Stephen Fry. And they actually used them. I'm always reminded of Fallout 3. Let's cast Liam Neeson and then give him like 2 dozen lines and have him vanish for the first half of the game.

I loved him in Fable II.

They make really good use of his character in the second part of the game, especially if you go good.

Really? The biggest disappointment about meeting him the first time was how soon everything was over afterward.

That's awesome to hear.

Yeah, he has a big part later on. Don't worry.

I also love the quests they always throw in where some NPC is like "I bet those monsters are just misunderstood, and if I show them some compassion we can learn to live together." Nope, they are horrible little murder machines and are now wearing your face as a hat.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Not really cool so much as odd but:
    weird-sea-creatures.jpg

Blobfish!

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

oh dear.

The Reapers don't destroy all life though. They destroy sentient life they deem unworthy of living. The worthy sentient life they give a kind of spiritual race-vessel spaceship thing so it can join their community of other spiritual race-vessels.

So wait, destroying sentient life isn't evil now?

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr. Saturnfish

Nerdgasmic on
    edited November 2010
    Mr. Saturnfish

I forgot to mention this earlier when talking about game writing.

Earthbound really set the bar pretty high when I was young.

Mother 3 pretty much raised it.

Never teared up in a game until Mother 3. Chapter... six maybe?

Sheep on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

weird-sea-creatures.jpg

Blobfish!

http://www.keithwhite.us/wwa.html

(aside from the obnoxious conservative punchline)

Incenjucar on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

oh dear.

not if it's ethnic cleansing, god

Elendil on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Mr. Saturnfish

it was the opening of chapter 4 for me

Fassad. :x

Nerdgasmic on
    edited November 2010

oh dear.

Too few things are known from our perspective to be able to deem what is good or evil.

If you have some "perfect" goal in mind then everything contributing to that goal would be good whereas everything having a detrimental effect on achieving that goal would be evil.

The concepts of good and evil can't exist in a vacuum. Things are not innately good or evil.

Daxon on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hello

i am sick

Pony on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ME spoilers
    The reapers only purge us because they love us.

Cinders on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I loved him in Fable II.

That's awesome to hear.

I read this as a slight on Stephen Fry's sexual prowess.

I was very :x

Winky on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    hello

i am sick

i usually get awfully sick around late to mid November

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Mr. Saturnfish

it was the opening of chapter 4 for me

Fassad. :x

Wonderful game.

Nintendo's treatment of it pretty much made me despise them.

Sheep on
    edited November 2010
    hello

i am sick

my department is dropping like flies

figure it's a flu or something

there's been at least 4 people who have been sick this week

Pony on
    edited November 2010
    hello

i am sick

Feel better!

stevemarks44 on
    edited November 2010

oh dear.

Too few things are known from our perspective to be able to deem what is good or evil.

If you have some "perfect" goal in mind then everything contributing to that goal would be good whereas everything having a detrimental effect on achieving that goal would be evil.

The concepts of good and evil can't exist in a vacuum. Things are not innately good or evil.

Ah, cool point bro.

I think there was some other dude who was in power around 70 years ago with a similar idea.

I mean, pretty sure most people disagreed with that guy for said idea being pretty much one of the most evil things ever, though his name escapes me right now.
    /godwin

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, have to do a Chinese presentation on a piece of Chinese media.

I was thinking Journey to the West or Art of War.

It feels like I can get away with it because I am white and how could I possibly know better?

Winky on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    weird-sea-creatures.jpg

Blobfish!

That thing has always reminded me of the japanese robot mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD_NdnYrDzY

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited November 2010
    hello

i am sick

I survived the office plague and all I got was a bunch of extra work.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Something being an invented construct doesn't make it useless, or an inaccurate description of the world. Think of maths.

We'd argue that in the future I'm sure.

Is it useful to call them evil for our own classifications and purposes? Our peace of mind? Sure?

Are they evil as a state of objective, universal and absolute Being?

JamesKeenan on
    edited November 2010
    choco that was a bad post

Pony on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DK I am doing a C tutorial so nyah :P

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So my wife is coming down sick, and my mother in law tells her "Take some pills we'll see you tomorrow." SO FUCKING COMPASSIONATE! Her fucking mother is a PA you'd think she'd be a bit more concerned.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    choco that was a bad post

yeah

his name was hitler, not godwin

Elendil on
    edited November 2010
    DK, did you restart the Minecraft server to get today's updates?

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited November 2010
    people who believe in objective, cosmic evil make me nervous

Pony on
    edited November 2010
    hello

i am sick

I survived the office plague and all I got was a bunch of extra work.

The last time our show was on hiatus everyone was starting to get sick and so my boss was just sending them home since its rare that you can take a day off here. I didn't get sick and I just kept feeling like I was getting cheated because I was the only one that didn't get a day off.

stevemarks44 on
    edited November 2010

Ah, cool point bro.

I think there was some other dude who was in power around 70 years ago with a similar idea.

I mean, pretty sure most people disagreed with that guy for said idea being pretty much one of the most evil things ever, though his name escapes me right now.
    /godwin

Nicely done. His behaviour wasn't based on my argument though. It was based on him being a batshit crazy racist dickhead.

My argument is basically

"If you have perfect information of the consequences of your actions and the actions of others, and a specific goal in mind - like say a God might have - then things working towards that goal are good and things that don't are at best lazy, but otherwise evil."

So really only a God-figure could determine what is truly good or evil, which is why these are religious concepts in essence.

As it is us mortal, limited humans just bumble about as best we can.

Daxon on
This discussion has been closed.