As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me pick a PSU

ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
Improvolone on

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Which case did you get? What are your other components? I'm very wary about any PSU in the 200-300W range unless the components are appropriately low-consumption.

Simply choosing from your list, SeaSonic is a reputable manufacturer.

Edit: ok wow! The 12V rails on that SeaSonic are excellent for such a small PSU!

Mugsley on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hrrrmmmm. I'm having trouble figuring out if Shuttle PSUs are in the ITX form factor since I've never actually tried swapping shuttle and standard mini-itx PSUs (they sure look like the same form factor, to me.)

But anyhow, if they're the same (or close enough that you can jimmy it,) I would absolutely recommend a shuttle PSU. They're well made and have really good rail balance for mainboard+CPU/GPU/components that actually lets them do pretty well with decent gear.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Which case did you get? What are your other components? I'm very wary about any PSU in the 200-300W range unless the components are appropriately low-consumption.

Simply choosing from your list, SeaSonic is a reputable manufacturer.

Edit: ok wow! The 12V rails on that SeaSonic are excellent for such a small PSU!
    Its an In Win case. Side note, never buy anything from In Win (which is unfortunate because this is a fairly clever case), their customer service has not responded at all to e-mails or phone calls from me or New Egg for a week now. So much for a manufacturer's warranty... but I digress.

Its a fairly low power build.
    AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

GIGABYTE GA-785GMT-USB3 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    A hard drive, optical drive, and some USB devices. No wifi, no bluetooth, all on-board audio and video, etc.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If no vidcard, then you're golden.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You just had to pick the one without free shipping
    gosh
    (thanks)

Improvolone on