As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PC Gamepad Thread

• Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I love my 360 pad for Windows games (don't have a 360 - but it had set up Ace Combat-style for BF2 :D), but, MAME doesn't recognise it. Am I doing something wrong?

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm pretty sure this thread decided what I'm doing next weekend. I have spare PS1 third party piece o' shit controllers lying around with just the right number of buttons for this task...

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

My Favorite:
    ps2-saturn-controller.jpg

It pisses me off to no end that SEGA doesn't make those USB Saturn controllers anymore. Also, nobody makes a pad with a good dpad for PC any more.

The 360 controller I have is good - I use the XBCD drivers for it since I thought the Microsoft ones sucked.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I prefer the standard MS 360 pad, myself. It just does what I want and works fine.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know if you guys have seen this controller, but it's really a pretty awesome PC gamepad. I present to you, the Sidewinder Dual Strike!

msdualstrike.jpg

The entire right side of the controller pivots, so you can twist it around. It effectively allows you to free-look using the right side of the controller, giving you surprisingly good FPS controls all in one gamepad. It looks like it'd be tough to use, but once you get used to it, it's very nice. It's not perfect, and it obviously isn't as responsive as KB/M (what is?), but as far as gamepads go, you can't get a more accurate controller for FPS games.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quick Question for TSR (or anyone else with the knowledge!) Say I want to be able to play stuff from the Atari, Namco, and Midway Collections on the same stick. I'm assuming I'd want the 8 way stick for stuff like Mortal Kombat. Will the games with native 4 way control like Pacman work well with that stick? Is the 8 way pretty much the standard for being used in a large variety of games?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    Quick Question for TSR (or anyone else with the knowledge!) Say I want to be able to play stuff from the Atari, Namco, and Midway Collections on the same stick. I'm assuming I'd want the 8 way stick for stuff like Mortal Kombat. Will the games with native 4 way control like Pacman work well with that stick? Is the 8 way pretty much the standard for being used in a large variety of games?

The 8-way stick will work. It's actually a misnomer - it's not truly an 8-way stick. The joystick still has only 4 microswitches, like so:

joystickms8wayrv3.jpg

So in all actuallity, it's detecting input from 4 sources. Rather, what makes it an 8-way stick is that white, square attachment in the middle (which is removable). With that square attached, you can hit more than one microswitch at once. So, if you pull down and to the left, then the square will hit two switches instead of none.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tsmvengy wrote: »

My Favorite:

It pisses me off to no end that SEGA doesn't make those USB Saturn controllers anymore. Also, nobody makes a pad with a good dpad for PC any more.

The 360 controller I have is good - I use the XBCD drivers for it since I thought the Microsoft ones sucked.
    How is that possible? They created the API that the drivers use. It boggles the mind.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Herby wrote: »

The 8-way stick will work. It's actually a misnomer - it's not truly an 8-way stick. The joystick still has only 4 microswitches, like so:

joystickms8wayrv3.jpg

So in all actuallity, it's detecting input from 4 sources. Rather, what makes it an 8-way stick is that white, square attachment in the middle (which is removable). With that square attached, you can hit more than one microswitch at once. So, if you pull down and to the left, then the square will hit two switches instead of none.

Thanks. I think I've found a good summer project!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

My Favorite:

How is that possible? They created the API that the drivers use. It boggles the mind.

The XBCD drivers give you more options on how to use the triggers - you can choose two independent axes, one axis shared between the two (with one as + and one -) or use them as digital buttons.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I was thinking of going with thew 360 controller (holy balls is it expensive though)

What I was wondering is if the wireless also worked with bluetooth. So that if I bought the kit, would I be able to use that glovePIE with my Wii remote through the same adapter? Or would I still need to buy a seperate one for that? Because then I could use the CC for 2D games or games that needed the dpad, and that would be shit hot.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

My Favorite:

This is Microsoft we're talking about. The PC department, no less.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just ran across this site, and I demand that someone buy something from here (especially the USB Advantage) and then come back here and tell us if they sell quality products.

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php

If this place is on the up-and-up, they're going to get at least a couple hundred dollars from me.

They also have actual NES and SNES controller adaptors for the VC. No more awkward button layouts.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I made my own thread, but then I saw this one.

XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver for PC...
    I bought this in anticipation of getting an XBOX 360 Wireless Racing Wheel long before I get an XBOX 360 (when the 65nm CPU version gets involved in a holiday deal/rebate). In anticipation of buying it, I also bought two XBOX 360 Wireless controllers for $12 each (traded in as wired controllers).

To my dismay, the back of the package reports "Force Feedback not available when using Wireless Gaming Receiver." They'd better be kidding. Do they mean that FF is not available with the racing wheel unless it is plugged in via USB + AC? I seem to remember hearing about some BS restriction like that when it first launched. Also, I thought the USB Play 'n' Charge thing only works for charging with Windows (only native wired 360 controllers worked before this device). I guess that kinda thing could mean that the Wireless Racing Wheel may have a FF issue with PCs, but there is no asterisk or anything putting that restriction on that accessory specifically.

So, to anyone that has this: Does it support force feedback through controllers? Does it support it with the Racing Wheel? If not, why and WHEN? I'm sure it's perfectly possible with a driver update (at least for controller). Perhaps this is something they were holding for Vista (the documentation is XP-specific)?

The used controllers I got included battery packs, which I can't charge yet, so I have to ask this here before it's too late to do something about my other purchase.

Microsoft has a product page stating "Future drivers available for Windows Vista™ and Force Feedback for the Wireless Racing Wheel." That kinda seems to say that FF is a current problem with the wheel but doesn't say that it's a problem for controllers (or at least not one they are fixing in the future). The Vista drivers are already here of course, but there's nothing in the help and knowledge base about FF support (controller or wheels). Not even a note about it NOT supporting them.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Are you playing a game that supports force feedback? Because I think it says on the box that the game needs to be programmed to support it.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Are you playing a game that supports force feedback? Because I think it says on the box that the game needs to be programmed to support it.

I don't own the wheel yet. I plan to, but lack of FF will certainly impact those plans. That's why I'm asking. I can't use the wireless controllers with it yet because I need a charging cable. :(

CZroe on
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My experience with PC gamepads is that 99% of them are junk, especially the D-pad (something that was transferred to the original Xbox controller). Exceptions would be a few of Gravis' products (GamePad, GamePad Pro, Eliminator, though the latter's analog D-pad didn't work all that well some games). Best bet is a console original controller with an USB adapter, been using the dualshock and it's been working great.

How's the Xbox 360 controller for older games? At its release I heard that they wouldn't work with older DirectX games, for some mysterious reason.

EDIT: After seeing the Exterminator on the next page, I think I meant Eliminator.

Firebrand on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Holy crap TSR made the thread awesome.

In other news I think I know what I'm going to try and do this summer.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You get rumble with the wireless controllers through the wireless reciever.

Rook on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This isn't really a controller, but I'm wondering if they're worth the price they're being asked for. ($30)

wolfking_other.jpg

ze swift class on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What the heck is that.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    What the heck is that.

Weird, that's what.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    What the heck is that.

Weird, that's what.

Think Geek has it.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/886e/

ze swift class on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I use a wired version of the Logitech Rumble 2 controller that was shown on the first page of the thread. It's a quality PS2 style controller that wasn't too expensive; I highly recommend it.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I use a wired version of the Logitech Rumble 2 controller that was shown on the first page of the thread. It's a quality PS2 style controller that wasn't too expensive; I highly recommend it.

I still prefer the Belkin Nostromo products to that monstrosity at ThinkGeek (may as well BE a keyboard). Anyway, remember what I was saying about waiting for the Wireless Racing Wheel to drop in price? Yay!

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    What the heck is that.
    Well its a keyboard but the weird shape seems to maybe have gaming in mind. Notice how the wasd keys are bigger than the rest so those that prefer them for FPS can have a ball with it.

Not so great for typing though if Id have to wager a guess.

And yeah everyone says the 360's dpad sucks but how many games actually use the dpad? I think I played 1 out of 10 or more that Ive owned that needed it (Jade Empire) I think on the PC it would be even less of a big deal.

But nobody answered my question if it used bluetooth or not.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd think about using a USB adapter for the GC controller myself, but I have no idea whether the drivers will work correctly in Vista.

I'm betting on "no", and I don't see that any company would be in a rush to get that working at this point.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    I'd think about using a USB adapter for the GC controller myself, but I have no idea whether the drivers will work correctly in Vista.

I'm betting on "no", and I don't see that any company would be in a rush to get that working at this point.
    Adapters like that usually work as a standard USB Joystick, it shouldn't need drivers, and therefore it should work in Vista. Some adapters come with drivers for extra features or for Windows 98 support, but none I've ever seen or used actually required them.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    20298204.JPG

I don't know how many of you have ever used this, but back in the Win98 days of gaming this joystick was KING. It never left my PC from the day it arrived to the day I sold it after my last PC went XP.

Of course, now they have tutorials out there on how to mod them for USB/XP/Optical use, but they don't work as well as it did originally.

Just to give an idea: I bought it for $50 - then sold it 5 years later on eBay for $45.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm seeing prices like $50 on some of these things. Question: if I only wanted to invest like ten bucks and not grab the first thing off the shelf, what would my best bet be?

(Yes, I am a cheapskate who buys popular games six years after release for obscenely low sums.)

Frem on
  • Options
    Blueknight78cBlueknight78c Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I used to love the Gravis Xterminator:
    bigx2.gif

I have fond memories of playing Resident Evil 2 on the PC with it. this thing had a d-pad, a hat switch, a throttle, an analog stick, 6 standard buttons, a function set toggle button (changes what the buttons do), 2 spring triggers, two click triggers, and a couple of "Clitor-esque" buttons in the center. I'd still have this controller if it was still made.

Blueknight78c on
    &%$#!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I used to love the Gravis Exterminator:
    Image_17.jpg

I have fond memories of playing Resident Evil 2 on the PC with it. this thing had a d-pad, a hat switch, a throttle, an analog stick, 6 standard buttons, a function set toggle button (changes what the buttons do), 2 spring triggers (before the Dreamcast), two click triggers, and a couple of "Clitor-esque" buttons in the center. I'd still have this controller if it was still made.

The Dreamcast wasn't the first console with Analog triggers. The Saturn was, and it predates the Gravis Exterminator.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The Dreamcast wasn't the first console with Analog triggers. The Saturn was, and it predates the Gravis Exterminator.

oh yeah, I forgot about that monstrosity.

Blueknight78c on
    &%$#!
  • Options
    edited May 2007

oh yeah, I forgot about that monstrosity.

Not to get off topic, but what game is that in your sig?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone who thinks the Saitek P220's D-pad is crap is right - I used one for about seven months before the pad came off, and there's only the tiniest nub of plastic to connect the pad and the internal stick. Grip's still pretty nice, though.
    ::Snip::
    Holy crap, that's sitting in my bookcase right now. High-five.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Not to get off topic, but what game is that in your sig?

That's from a 1987 game called Pyros (Wardner in Japan and on the Genesis).
    w1.png
    I used to play it all the time in the arcade when I was much younger and still play it today. It was the only arcade game that I could finish solo on a reasonable amount of credits. I have happy memories of small groups of people who would gather behind me to watch me fight the last boss. Good times.

Edit: Also, The Final Boss:
    w2.png

Blueknight78c on
    &%$#!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Holy crap, that's sitting in my bookcase right now. High-five.

Lucky bastard :lol:

Blueknight78c on
    &%$#!
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a wired Logitech Rumblepad 2. The analog pads have square sockets but the dpads are good. I recommend it over the 360 gamepad for the dpad alone. (And I shouldn't say that, because I never really used a 360 gamepad.)

Logicow on
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tank_side.jpg

You cannot fathom playing video games with this thing unless you grew up in the 80s or you have one yourself. Pure sex doesn't accurately describe this controller, and it is the ultimate controller that is the measure by which all other controllers are judged.* You owe it to yourself to buy this controller, and I guarantee regret will never cross your mind.

This thing can take a pounding, the buttons have that arcade "bounce", the joystick has an amazing responsiveness, and you can literally beat someone to death with it without worrying about breaking the controller. The weight is distributed nicely, and feels good sitting on your lap, straddled between 2 chairs, and on your coffee table. The trackball even works as a mouse when not playing games.

Yeah, it's $200, but on your deathbed, surrounded by loved ones, with your last gasp of breath you'll realize that that $200 was the best investment you've ever made in your life.

*no other controller comes close.

I have one of these and its fucking awesome. Seriously... playing old school arcade games on that thing makes my pants tight. X-men vs Street fighter or Samurai showdown with that controller makes me feel like im 14 again. Whenever I do my next computer upgrade I think I might build an actual arcade cabinet with it. That would kick ass on a massive scale.

EDIT: Just noticed that the controller you posted has a trackball in the center. Man, they must have added that in a recent model because mine doesn't have one. That'd be cool for golden tee and such. Damn nice.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Definately getting a 360 controller when I get my next rig.

Some games just scream for analog control. Besides, I intend for the PC to be my purchase instead of a 360.

HadjiQuest on