As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hot chicks, samurai, dragons and zombies? SUCKER PUNCH

1235»

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Ah Tony Jaa.

One of my favourite fight scenes ever is the one which is one single camera take over about six minutes with Tony Jaa just walking up and around this big multiple level inside balcony thing and wrecking about fifty guys shit pretty much effortlessly.

Also the one where he fights about thirty guys straight after seeing the skeleton of his elephant and takes them out with joint breakers. At the end of his fight it's just him standing there surrounded by men lying on the floor, clutching their broken limbs and screaming in pain.

I thought that second scene was pretty dumb because it was just unbelievable that they'd continually run into what is basically a human grinder five at a time and no on the entire yakuza or whatever would think to shoot him.

Oh sure, It was dumb as all hell, but then big fights in martial arts films are usually like that so I tend to think of it as "let's see the myriad ways that Tony Jaa can deliver injuries from which you will never recover should he wish to do so," rather than "Tony Jaa could beat up fifty Yakuzas no problem." I mean, it's the same with the Capoeira fight (which isn't exactly what you'd call the most efficient martial art). It's not a realistic fight, but visually it's pretty impressive.

Anyway, as for Sucker Punch I don't know what to think. On the one hand it looks aesthetically stylish etc. On the other putting Nazis, Samurai and Robots together in a film does not make it amazing, even if you are fourteen years old. Sometimes an actually good story/cohesive feel is better than just going "All these things are awesome so lets do them all fuck yeah."

On the other other hand this could turn out to be a trippy, psychological Pan's Labyrinth type of thing which ties all the craziness together effectively and actually makes for a really interesting film. This is less likely but still possible I guess. So, yeah. Seems like it might be interesting, but the whole "ninjas/pirates/robots/dinosaurs are awesome!" is getting a little old now.

Solar on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's true that fights are like that.

I think that the reason I wanted one of them to pull a gun at least once was I was really feeling sorry for them about ten guys in. Those bone breaks were...brutal as fuck.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love that Tony Jaa is a monk now. It is so awesome.

A lot of Thai men become monks for a few years. I think it lets them get out of army service.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's true that fights are like that.

I think that the reason I wanted one of them to pull a gun at least once was I was really feeling sorry for them about ten guys in. Those bone breaks were...brutal as fuck.

Yeah he really goes to town on those dudes. Tony Jaa is a scary guy.

But they killed his Elephant so they had it coming.

Solar on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote:
    On the other other hand this could turn out to be a trippy, psychological Pan's Labyrinth type of thing which ties all the craziness together effectively and actually makes for a really interesting film. This is less likely but still possible I guess. So, yeah. Seems like it might be interesting, but the whole "ninjas/pirates/robots/dinosaurs are awesome!" is getting a little old now.

It's been talked about a whole bunch, but you don't usually see that combo making its way into mainstream. In fact, I can't think of a single time we've seen a "ninja/pirate/robot/dinosaur" medley be delivered in comprehensive movie form.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    truly it is an idea whose time had come

Quoth on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Protector is like one of the old school kung fu movies or even... like, a Mortal Kombat game, because it's just Tony Jaa fighting an escalating series of increasingly powerful opponents and groups of enemies

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Funny you should mention that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk0kufx74Io

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    i don't know man, i am pretty sure tony jaa would have wrecked him

I heavily doubt it.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There are very few things that I say with certainty, because I know relatively little on any given topic

But I will never back down from my position that in hand-to-hand combat Bruce Lee would wreck any actual human being who you can name to me

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There are very few things that I say with certainty, because I know relatively little on any given topic

But I will never back down from my position that in hand-to-hand combat Bruce Lee would wreck any actual human being who you can name to me

what about

bruce lee

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Brandon Lee?

:(

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

what about

bruce lee

Shit

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Brandon Lee?

:(

a fake bullet killed him

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm very much of the same attitude with the exception of the masters of martial arts who nobody ever hears about. You read stories about 70 year-old dudes who perform near supernatural acts.

Bruce Lee is really good but against a modern Pai Mei, I don't know.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bruce lee this, bruce lee that

Jackie Chan does not get enough respect

Antimatter on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

Especially for his amazing singing ability.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I love Jackie Chan! With a deep and abiding affection that most people will never understand

Don't you talk to me about Jackie Chan

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah, Bruce Lee can fight and kick

but he lacks eye of the tiger
    180px-107Hitmonchan.png

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Yeah he does it is just that he's more of that funny kid on the football team who makes the team & audience laugh. He's good but when the chips are down you need the quarterback.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah, Bruce Lee can fight and kick

but he lacks eye of the tiger
    180px-107Hitmonchan.png

of course he lacks eye of the tiger

he has two eyes of bruce lee

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    alls I gotta say is

Zach Snyder doing Superman means Superman might actually punch something

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hey guys I heard we were talking about Tony Jaa in here

just in case you didn't know he kicks a guy in the face while he's on fire at some point

1245228381_legs_on_fire.gif.gif

yeah

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    holy crap, that's so cool

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    alls I gotta say is

Zach Snyder doing Superman means Superman might actually punch something

which would be nice.

Superman never gets to just wreck shit in his movies. He picks up heavy stuff sure but he never gets to punch the hell out of a bad guy.

Solar on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The fire in that gif is entirely superfluous.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hot chicks and dragons?

I'm sold.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb