As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The archdemon fight was way stupider than it needed to be. I managed to kill him in one try on Normal, but it was so tedious running all over the goddamn place. That fight should have been about 100x better than it was.

God, I feel like I'm shitting on this game a lot. I actually loved the hell out of DAO. I've invested 100 hours in that game, which I almost never do. It was a great experience for me. But man is it flawed.

It's also quite easy on hard difficulty. Just summon 50 dwarves when you get on top of the tower, assign your heavy hitters on archdemon and run around with a rogue to use and repair ballistas.
    I had much more trouble with Flemeth.

Yeah I'm not saying it was hard by any stretch. Just tedious. I never felt that I was in any real danger. And I played as a rogue, arguably the worst class in the game.

The most difficult fight in the game for me? I dunno, probably the Sacred Ashes dragon. But even that has a horrible cheese tactic that makes it cake.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    I spent quite some time hunting down items and gearing up for the ashes dragon, I finally went in, summoned him and he got stuck on a fence unable to attack...I killed him but with no satisfaction.

Fizban140 on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Jean wrote: »
    So I just completed the game and I wonder if I did screw myself over. I'll spoiler the rest just to be safe.
    I completed the game at LV19 so it seems like I screwed myself out of the ''reach LV 20'' achievement :S Is they're any way to do battles in the epilogue w/o buying any DLC? I can't travel anywhere, this is so stupid! My only 2 saves beside that one are one right before the final battle (seems like you can't quit Denerim at that point?) anddd.. the other one is in the middle of the game :S.

My understanding is that you can get those achievements playing Awakening, so you'll be fine.

No Awakening for me. I bought the game used and the code in my manual doesn't work, I suppose the previous owner already used it :( I bought the game for $25 and the expansion would cost me.. $23. I liked the game but not enough to spend that kind of dough honestly.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »
    So I just completed the game and I wonder if I did screw myself over. I'll spoiler the rest just to be safe.
    I completed the game at LV19 so it seems like I screwed myself out of the ''reach LV 20'' achievement :S Is they're any way to do battles in the epilogue w/o buying any DLC? I can't travel anywhere, this is so stupid! My only 2 saves beside that one are one right before the final battle (seems like you can't quit Denerim at that point?) anddd.. the other one is in the middle of the game :S.

My understanding is that you can get those achievements playing Awakening, so you'll be fine.

No Awakening for me. I bought the game used and the code in my manual doesn't work, I suppose the previous owner already used it :( I bought the game for $25 and the expansion would cost me.. $23. I liked the game but not enough to spend that kind of dough honestly.

What code in the manual?

Tamin on
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Wynne has the best banters in the game

Especially if you're playing a female Warden in a relationship with Alistair.
    Alistair: Why are you smiling like that? You look suspiciously like the cat who swallowed the pigeon.
    Wynne: Canary.
    Alistair: What?
    Wynne: I look like the cat that swallowed the canary.
    Alistair: I once had a very large cat, but that's not my point. My point is why are you smirking?
    Wynne: (Chuckles) You were watching her. With great interest, I might add. In fact, I believe you were...enraptured.
    Alistair: She's our leader. I look to her for guidance.
    Wynne: Oh, I see. So what guidance did you find in those swaying hips hmm?
    Alistair: No no no, I wasn't looking at...you know her...hind-quarters
    Wynne: Certainly.
    Alistair: I gazed...glanced, in that direction, maybe, but I wasn't staring...or really seeing anything even.
    Wynne: Of course.
    Alistair: I hate you. You're a bad person.

Are you sure this only happens if there's a relationship? I don't recall ever starting that path, but the banter sounds familiar.

Tamin on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Good god. Impulse is selling the DAO Ultimate Edition for twenty-five dollars?!

I might as well buy that just so I can play Awakening.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Shit, can I activate that on Steam? I was hoping they would put it on sale this week, but I'd rather pull the trigger on this now and not take the risk.

Torso Boy on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So does taking the Circle of Magi option at Redcliffe castle cost you anything?

There didn't seem to be any on my first playthrough, but I had already completed the circle tower on that guy, while I would need to complete on this one.

Blurbl on
    edited November 2010

You can remove Impulse after the game's installed with no ill effects, right?

edit: just tested it, and yes.

any idea how long that discount is going to be in effect for?

Tamin on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »

There didn't seem to be any on my first playthrough, but I had already completed the circle tower on that guy, while I would need to complete on this one.

No

Cabezone on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »

No

It's the only option where nobody dies/gets pissed at you, despite the warning that it would take a while to go to the circle and back. I half expected if you picked this option that you'd come back and everyone would be dead, but oddly enough there's no consequence at all.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No

It's the only option where nobody dies/gets pissed at you, despite the warning that it would take a while to go to the circle and back. I half expected if you picked this option that you'd come back and everyone would be dead, but oddly enough there's no consequence at all.
    Yeah, the Redcliffe thing finally made me realise that Bioware always has an 'ideal' solution/third option for every problem they throw your way.

WotanAnubis on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No

Yeah, the Redcliffe thing finally made me realise that Bioware always has an 'ideal' solution/third option for every problem they throw your way.

with the catch that either you need to have some stat (coercion, charm, paragon, etc) high enough to use/pass a dialog choice, or you have to have done things in the right order or way. For example you cant use the Circle option at Redcliffe if you sided with the templars, even if you did spare the circle

ronzo on
    edited November 2010
    That was weird, at the landsmeet there was no way I could win. I looked it up online and I did all the proper quests, talked to all the right people and I still couldn't win the landmeet.

Oh well, I quite enjoyed...
    the decapitation infront of his daughter.

Anyways I started Awakening...imported my hero....
    Who raised me from the dead? This better be explained. Otherwise I am making a new hero, because I am not playing a zombie on my first play through.

Fizban140 on
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does the serial for DA U from Impulse works on EADM too?

Maou on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Anyways I started Awakening...imported my hero....
    Who raised me from the dead? This better be explained. Otherwise I am making a new hero, because I am not playing a zombie on my first play through.
    It's not explained. Basically, you never sacrificed yourself if you import a dead warden. You magically lived and your ending was retconned.

-Loki- on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »

Shit, can I activate that on Steam? I was hoping they would put it on sale this week, but I'd rather pull the trigger on this now and not take the risk.

I've finished DAO on the PS3, but never did get through Awakenings and only got the day one DLC.

Is this worth it?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »

I've finished DAO on the PS3, but never did get through Awakenings and only got the day one DLC.

Is this worth it?

if you intend to get da2 and import your save sure is.

Deaderinred on
    edited November 2010
    Does importing a save even really matter for DA2? It really didn't for ME2.

Fizban140 on
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess it'll be pretty insignificant conisdering you likely won't get bonus XP/items etc, as it's a new character.

Then again, if you're really attached to the game world you shaped in DA:O it will probably be worth it.

They've yet to release details of what'll transfer over though.

Jimmy Marku on
    edited November 2010
    In Awakening I actually had more money on the generated hero they give you than the imported one I had...and I had a lot of money and did a ton of quests.

Fizban140 on
  • dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I need to fire up this game again, I got to the Dwarven citadel and sort of stopped playing, I have just been working on BG1&2 ad sort of left this alone.

Along the lines of DA2, its sad, but as long as a game has swords and spells I am fine, I played both Viking and Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom to completion. am easily entertained with the settings, reliving my D&D youth.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In Awakening I actually had more money on the generated hero they give you than the imported one I had...and I had a lot of money and did a ton of quests.

Seriously, the shortage of cash was fucking annoying in dragonage; you had to scrimp and save the whole game in order to afford maybe two of the truly snazzy items. That, and some of the chests were absurdly hard to open so you could get 1.47 silver pieces.

Gaddez on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Especially if you were wearing all DLC gear so you were naked at the start of awakening. Though I heard that was patched, is your companion's gear still not transfered?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gaddez wrote: »

Seriously, the shortage of cash was fucking annoying in dragonage; you had to scrimp and save the whole game in order to afford maybe two of the truly snazzy items. That, and some of the chests were absurdly hard to open so you could get 1.47 silver pieces.

Yes, this was quite annoying, I remember when I got a diamond and was saying, finally, I will get some cash! only to have it worth like, 2 gold or somesuch. If you aren't going to give me gold, at least make the drops occasionally awesome, and stuff locked in chests worth something!

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, guys, didn't you know? If the +7 Magic Sword of Darkspawn Slaying is for sale, and the dragon gives you two elfroots and a scale, that just means it's a low magic setting!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I thought that was one of the best parts of the game. It's a rare RPG where you can't just buy everything you want by the end of the game.

Cabezone on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah but you can't even buy a couple good items from a shop even if you farmed everything in the game.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    I'm really not someone that gripes about DLC content, but it seems like the new trend is to give out all the cool loot in that content.

Which is just about the most pathetic kind of DLC there is.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I thought that was one of the best parts of the game. It's a rare RPG where you can't just buy everything you want by the end of the game.

Yeah, I'm not expecting to. but I'd kinda expect that I can get more then 1 or 2 of the items which are a billion times better then anything else I can find.

I dunno. Maybe the DLC has das uber gear/cash, but I sadly don't have access to live.

Gaddez on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Alistair: Why are you smiling like that? You look suspiciously like the cat who swallowed the pigeon.
    Alistair: I once had a very large cat, but that's not my point. My point is why are you smirking?
    Wynne: (Chuckles) You were watching her. With great interest, I might add. In fact, I believe you were...enraptured.
    Alistair: I gazed...glanced, in that direction, maybe, but I wasn't staring...or really seeing anything even.

I swear the banter in DA is better writing than most everything else Bioware has ever done.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited November 2010

I swear the banter in DA is better writing than most everything else Bioware has ever done.

But the worst merchant banter.

"Enchantment x 10"

Maou on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I rather liked him. He got to the point. No funny business, just . . . Business.

The business of enchantment.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Maou wrote: »

"Enchantment x 10"
    If you don't like Sandal I believe you're not human.

Endgame quote:
    "Enchantment?"
    "You're surrounded by Darkspawn corpses! What happened here!?"
    "ENCHANTMENT!"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited November 2010
    Maou wrote: »

"Enchantment x 10"
    If you don't like Sandal I believe you're not human.

Endgame quote:
    "Enchantment?"
    "You're surrounded by Darkspawn corpses! What happened here!?"
    "ENCHANTMENT!"

We need an option to kill him and then drink his blood and get permanently enchanted.
    :winky:

Maou on
    edited November 2010
    N...no, we don't.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited November 2010
    N...no, we don't.

But but but it will be so awesome.
    If we sacrifice him performing blood magic and get perm boost to stats and new enchantment magic.
    :lol:

Maou on
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    N...no, we don't.

I Google'd for a funny image but I only found naked photos of Sandal :?

kitch on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Well, if you want to pretend it's a factory simulator and crank out the Potent Lyrium Potions and resell them to the tavern vendor in Denerim, you can make a few hundred gold if you have no sense of boredom.

Kakodaimonos on
    edited November 2010
    I played it legit my first time through, but in all my replays, I just use the console to give myself gold.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png