As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 11-24: In Your Dreams, Bowtie!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Graphic Violence
Action Comics #895 Jimmy Olsen backup, it gets a D for Delightful:

As we saw last month, the Dalwythians were going to have a big party on earth to celebrate their species, but it would have resulted in the Earth being destroyed. Jimmy creates a plan to make them think Earth is so boring they shouldn't have their party here, with a nice little panel:

ac895a-Copy-1.jpg

And then he has Perry White read chapters of a book he's been writing for 18 years to bore them more.

And then this:

ac895c.jpg

Such a nice moment between the two.

And then Jimmy lets Ma Kent video chat with the aliens and she acts like a bumbling old lady who has to scream at the monitor because she doesn't think people are hearing her.

Jimmy's plan is successful, and then Lois shows up to be Jimmy's wingman to get him a new girlfriend.

And a nice scene from Batman & Robin #17:

br17d.jpg

Dick becoming Adam West Batman would be kind of fun.

Cornell's story is much more like his Knight & Squire mini than his Action Comics one, and McDaniel's art looks great (the story he did recently with Hine in Detective looked like he wasn't allowed to draw Dick like Batman because it was essentially an inventory story, but here you see some of the Nightwing stuff in his facial expressions, and he draws a smug Damien rather well too who looks different from McDaniel's Tim Drake).

edit: Detective Comics #871 was very good and worth a pick up. If you liked Dini's run, I bet you'll like this. Look!

dc871a.jpg

dc871b-1.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Edit: Wrong place for this.

Sorry, moving on. :)

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That is not the right thread for this (though I disagree and thought that was an awesome moment)

Furu on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    That is not the right thread for this
    My bad, you're right. My trajectory is a lil off sometimes when I'm knee deep in fanboy anguish.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Detective Comics has what is pretty much the perfect line for Grayson as Batman. My favorite book of the week, just nudging out that Jimmy Olsen backup

MastaP on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Amazing Spider-Man 649 was quite the shocker for me.
    Phil Urich murders the original Hobgoblin and steals all his gear to become the new Hobgoblin. I've been wanting Phil to get back into the game somehow for a long time, and I didn't expect it to be like this. It's going to be interesting to see how this gets back to Kingpin.

edit:

Ah hell, here's some scans!
    sm01.jpg
    sm02.jpg
    sm03.jpg

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Encyclopedia Brown, by Doc Shaner.
    6zsf3s.jpg

I want this to be a real comic so bad.

Firebreather: Holmgang #1; Duncan receives his inheritance.
    9kc8y8.jpg

Deadpool Team-Up #887; Deadpool plunders the ruins of Asgard, and gets Mjolnir'd for his trouble. Matteo Scalera's quick becoming one of my favorite artists. They need to give him the ongoing Deadpool book for an arc or two.
    ajtdm1.jpg

Deadpool #29; Wade confronts Dr. Bong, after the Secret Avengers have fought their way through an army of Deadpool clones.
    2ir3g2t.jpg
    I really like that standoff between the two.

ok62on.jpg
    Earlier, Deadpool had insisted on stopping off to purchase fireworks, as part of his plan to stop Dr. Bong. Turns out, the dude just really likes to celebrate his victory in style.

Munch on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Amazing Spider-Man 649 was quite the shocker for me.
    Phil Urich murders the original Hobgoblin and steals all his gear to become the new Hobgoblin. I've been wanting Phil to get back into the game somehow for a long time, and I didn't expect it to be like this. It's going to be interesting to see how this gets back to Kingpin.

edit:

Ah hell, here's some scans!
    sm01.jpg
    sm02.jpg
    sm03.jpg

Huh. I think I should be mad about this, but I'm not. It's not like Phil's been used for anything interesting since the end of his series, so I'll just hope this turns out to be a fun ride. If it does, I may actually pick up a Spider book again.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh Munch, I want that to be real as well.

Let's cry together.

Solar on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    i remember that Encyclopedia Brown story

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jimmy Olsen is awesome. The backups are making me want them to revive "Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen".

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    omg I want the Encyclopedia Brown as well

That takes me back to my younger days

desc on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    that Encyclopedia Brown is stupendous

and that's a good scene with Deadpool and Dr. Bong, if I do say so myself

Antimatter on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Barberi gave Black Widow some huge tits in Deadpool this week

Nearly basketball sized, to be precise

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Here are some other fun moments to round out the week. It was actually a really good week for comics.

Avengers vs. Pet Avengers #2, Tony has trouble dealing with being a frog, plus Thing and Lockjaw are the best team-up:

avpa2a.jpg

avpa2b.jpg

Thor: Mighty Avenger #6 is a lovey dovey issue, and Heimdall shows up too (he's black in this series, I guess to sync up with Idris Elba in the movie? That's who he is, right?). And Marvel is really amping up the whole "Thor is a lady's man" they've been putting in comics the past few weeks:

tma6a.jpg

Last page is them kissing and being happy Thor's here (Heimdall totally beats down Thor on the rainbow bridge and threatens to teleport Jane to another dimension if Thor tries to enter Asgard before his quest is done)

And Klaws of the Panther #3, Shuri would make a really nice addition to the New Avengers team, because Spider-Man could actually be a nice mentor to her, as she's only a few years younger than him. Plus, he loves her technology:

kotp3c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Why was Thor: the Mighty Avenger cancelled...

WHYYYYYYYYY...

Solar on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lol, you already answered that question.
    Solar wrote: »
    Because comic fans.

But yeah, this week was awesome. Thor: TMA was all awww. Batman: DC was an incredible issue. USM Issue 150 was huuuge. I'm pretty stoked with the direction Bendis is taking with USM.

Moments OTW still goes to One Piece.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And Klaws of the Panther #3, Shuri would make a really nice addition to the New Avengers team, because Spider-Man could actually be a nice mentor to her, as she's only a few years younger than him. Plus, he loves her technology:

kotp3c.jpg[\IMG]

Wait, so she randomly blows up several cars just to show off her new gadget?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    SporkacusSporkacus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

WHYYYYYYYYY...

WAIT IT WAS CANCELLED!!! HOW MANY ISSUES EXIST D:

Sporkacus on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sporkacus wrote: »

WHYYYYYYYYY...

WAIT IT WAS CANCELLED!!! HOW MANY ISSUES EXIST D:

Two more are supposed to come out but there is a big petition to keep it going. I think the writer said he had the main storyline planned to issue 12 though so maybe Marvel will let it keep going till then, maybe in digital format.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    See, everyone is sad about Thor: TMA getting cancelled. Why do you want to make us sad Marvel? Why do you hate us so?

Solar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

kotp3c.jpg[\IMG]

Wait, so she randomly blows up several cars just to show off her new gadget?

Well, she would have diplomatic immunity.

But they were above an AIM base, the cars were in the way. Geico or Allstate should help them.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My MOTW is "Locke & Key" coming out after two months. Any time a new issue of this comes out, that's gonna be the highlight of that week. Anyone who hasn't checked this out yet, do it! And curse you Keith for recommending something I am now obsessed with.

Tyler Locke hates teddy bears.
    locke.jpg

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Since I haven't had a chance to go by the store this week, and let's face it, X-Men and Iron Man are probably only going to be so good, MOTW is coming across Comically Vintage off a friend's tumblr. This thing is like a 500 page-deep diamond mine.

tumblr_l86g9i9PGG1qzdi59o1_500.png

desc on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Who is that?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Secret Warriors was my moment of the week.
    Badass Nick Fury moment along with an appearance by Ares.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    THUNDERSTRIKE #1 was my MotW (in a non-ironic way). DeFalco/Frenz working with that character brought back a lot of fun comic book memories.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My MotW is finally getting all six trades that my folks ordered for me as a Thanksgiving gift from Instocktrades. Deadpool vol. 4, the second Hickman FF volume, Powers vol. 13, Batman R.I.P., the last Gillen Thor volume, and Captain America: Two Americas.

Speaking of the last one, I wonder if they fixed the "dialogue error" that Brubaker said was the cause of all that controversy.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MOTW was finally getting the last volume of Ex Machina

Not sure what I think of the ending though

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Deadpool #29; Wade confronts Dr. Bong, after the Secret Avengers have fought their way through an army of Deadpool clones.
    2ir3g2t.jpg
    I really like that standoff between the two.

ok62on.jpg
    Earlier, Deadpool had insisted on stopping off to purchase fireworks, as part of his plan to stop Dr. Bong. Turns out, the dude just really likes to celebrate his victory in style.

This was mine as well, there were a lot of laugh-out-loud moments to be had this month from Deadpool. I'm also really liking Secret Avengers, this weeks was a continuation of a good story-line and character development I believe.
    In SA there's a lot of focus on the development of the characters Valkyrie and Eric O'Grady's Ant-Man. Mostly because these are the two newest additions to the Avengers teams, albeit the "off the books" team, so they warrant more attention. We're seeing O'Grady becoming more and more heroic, trying his best to live up to Rogers' example, and Val's quickly becoming a very effective heavy hitter for the team (basically the team's Thor, kinda obvious hough). Also, John Steele seems to be getting put into place to go toe-to-toe with Rogers. I'd like to see that.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.