As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New monitor questions.

RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
I currently have a 19in LCD (1280x1024 resolution), with Christmas coming up Parents are wondering If I would want say a nicer wide screen.

I'm running
Windows Vista 32
Intel E8400 3.0ghz dual core
4gigs of ram (not all of this is used being 32bit OS and all)
Saphire Ati HD4870 1gig model.
320gb harddrive

Going up in resolution is obviously going to make games perform differently than they currently do, but Is the jump from my current resolution for a game to say 720-1080p if the monitor supported it going to require a lot more resources?

steam_sig.png
PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
Rubycat on

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well the jump from 1280x1024 to 1920x1080 is about an extra 750,000 pixels for your video card to wrangle. Around a 50% increase. So if your folks do spring for a nice new monitor like this, you'd experience a framerate slowdown at the same detail level if you didn't also upgrade your video card to something like this at the same time.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • ToastlyToastly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Or with, with 4870 prices where they are now - go buy another and go crossfire - might be tough to find one, but I've seen what little stock of them left going for about 120. Compared to what chishallett suggested, you'll probably get a bigger bang for your buck - if of course your MB and PSU can support it.

Toastly on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess I'll take this opportunity to ask my own question: I'm looking into a recommended widescreen monitor myself, something that does 1920x1080, decent specs yet affordable. I'm wondering if there are any standouts for this year's BF sale, or perhaps Cyber Monday.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For the OP, you shouldn't have any problems playing games on a widescreen monitor with the current graphics card you have. I just purchased a 27" monitor, using 1920x1080 resolution, and I have a 8800GT (I believe is worse than your HD4870), and games run fine. Also, before I made the purchase, I did research on your exact concern, and everything I read all said no problem.

As for the monitor recommendation, I'm just going to copy and paste my suggestions from another thread.

I just bought this this morning at Office Depot for $299.

24" seems to be the most popular size right now, Office Depot has a 23" version of the above monitor for $199. It was part of their black friday sale though, so it might be too late.

However, since you don't really use it to watch movies, and I assume you're not hooking up cable or a xbox/ps3 to it. You can't go wrong with any of these Asus monitors, VH242H, VH236H, VW246H.

If you're wanting to spend closer to $400, then I would consider 27", and really, after hours of research, the only thing better than the one I got is the Dell U2711, which is $1000. You have more options here, but again, for me, the Samsung came out on top, and it was the cheapest.

defreak on
    edited November 2010
    My price range for desktop monitors is definitely under $200. That Samsung looks real nice, but I think I'll wait for Cyber Monday.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My price range for desktop monitors is definitely under $200. That Samsung looks real nice, but I think I'll wait for Cyber Monday.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001439

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited November 2010
    Huuuuuuuuurgh that's tempting. But I should still wait for CM. Maybe.

Is it free shipping?

edited November 2010
    Yes, except "Additional fees may apply to shipments to AK, HI and PR." Do you live in Arkansas, Hawaii or whatever that third one is? Puerto Rico I think?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited November 2010
    Huuuuuuuuurgh that's tempting. But I should still wait for CM. Maybe.

Is it free shipping?

Listing says $100, special holiday savings. Valid to 11/28...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »
    I currently have a 19in LCD (1280x1024 resolution), with Christmas coming up Parents are wondering If I would want say a nicer wide screen.

I'm running
    Windows Vista 32
    Intel E8400 3.0ghz dual core
    4gigs of ram (not all of this is used being 32bit OS and all)
    Saphire Ati HD4870 1gig model.
    320gb harddrive

Going up in resolution is obviously going to make games perform differently than they currently do, but Is the jump from my current resolution for a game to say 720-1080p if the monitor supported it going to require a lot more resources?

I have the same processor and graphics card, and I'm running nearly all my games at native resolution on my 24" monitor (1920*1080) at the highest settings, so don't worry about performance. The only game I'm not running at full detail is GTA IV and that's because it was ported over from consoles that had many more cores than our E8400... still plays and looks beautiful, though.

I can also recommend my monitor, the Samsung P2450H as a good 24", and my friend's LG is also very nice, so don't discount them.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited November 2010

$149
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

It's not going to get any better than that, for a high quality monitor anyway.

If you're just looking for the cheapest option that's still decent.

$119
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824114004

$139
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254044

I never heard of either brand, both have good reviews and plenty of buyers though.

defreak on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes, except "Additional fees may apply to shipments to AK, HI and PR." Do you live in Arkansas, Hawaii or whatever that third one is? Puerto Rico I think?

Alaska, not Arkansas. I know Arkansas seems crazy ass backwards, but shipping electronics there is not any more expensive than the other continental states.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited November 2010
    In other monitor news, I got his e-mail for a Samsung refurbished monitor at buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-23-widescreen-lcd-monitor-b2330-w-exclusive-magicsuite-2010/q/loc/101/listingid/94068291/215195638.html

This looks like the best deal yet, provided you avoid the refurbished part.

Also, is it necessary for a PC monitor to list whether it does 1080p or not, or is that already a given if it goes up to 1920x1080?

edited November 2010

Alaska, not Arkansas. I know Arkansas seems crazy ass backwards, but shipping electronics there is not any more expensive than the other continental states.

Ah, sorry. I got the state codes mixed up. Damn foreigners!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited November 2010
    In other monitor news, I got his e-mail for a Samsung refurbished monitor at buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-23-widescreen-lcd-monitor-b2330-w-exclusive-magicsuite-2010/q/loc/101/listingid/94068291/215195638.html

This looks like the best deal yet, provided you avoid the refurbished part.

Also, is it necessary for a PC monitor to list whether it does 1080p or not, or is that already a given if it goes up to 1920x1080?

Yes, they mean the same thing.

defreak on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I always thought that HD nomenclature, the "P" in particular, in regards to monitors to be kinda silly, given that PC monitors have been progressive scan since freaking forever. But w/e.

Zxerol on
    edited November 2010
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Some things to consider:

Contrast ratios are hogwash. There's no standard, so companies seem to just make shit up. Ignore this.

There are actually three main types LCD panel:
    1) The standard TN or Twisted Nematic panel, which is what 98% of monitors are. High refresh rates, but shitty viewing angles and color inversion. Also doesn't have quite the color reproduction of other panel types.
    2) PVA, which I forget what it stands for--has really good black levels but kind of meh refresh rates. Good for movies, not really games. You will see ghosting.
    3) IPS, or Internal Plane Switching (what I have at home). Usually more expensive, but you can view it from any angle without color inversion. Cheaper ones might have problems with black levels, though. Apple monitors frequently use this panel type, which is why they look so damn sexy and have good colors (red in particular). Used for Graphic Design and Print work, since colors appear on monitor as they do when they print, something you can't get with a TN. Newer ones have comparable refresh rates compared with TN panels.

So it's pretty much about seeing what you'd be using your monitor for. TN's are fine for gaming and boast the highest refresh rates/cheapest cost, so that's why they're so popular. But if you're a freak about color gamut and viewing angles, get an IPS. Yes, you'll pay more, but it's worth it.

Also, panel type is something that most websites don't mention--you'll need to find a website that specifically brings this up. Beware conflicting info and verify your sources--I remember when I was hunting for a monitor about a year and a half ago I found a few instances where certain monitors were listed as an IPS when they were really a PVA or TN. Caveat emptor.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Well, I ended up getting this one (before the price expired):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001439

Seemed like the best deal overall. Can't go wrong with Samsung, and I can't wait until it arrives so I can have all my games permanently set to 1920x1080.

Not sure what to do yet about the HDMI connectivity: my PC has one port, which I use to hook it to my big TV. It seems this monitor has two HDMI ports, so I suppose I just move the TV's HDMI cable and hook it to the monitor? Would that work?

• PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does your video card have other ports, like DVI? If so, you can always get a DVI <-> HDMI adapter.

Pirusu on
    edited November 2010
    Pirusu wrote: »
    Does your video card have other ports, like DVI? If so, you can always get a DVI <-> HDMI adapter.

Yeah, it does, but I sold my DVI cable a bit back after getting an HDMI one. I ordered an HDMI cable with the monitor, and I think I have an extra DVI>HDMI adapter I can use.

edited November 2010
    Pirusu wrote: »

Yeah, it does, but I sold my DVI cable a bit back after getting an HDMI one. I ordered an HDMI cable with the monitor, and I think I have an extra DVI>HDMI adapter I can use.

Then you should be fine. Leave your TV connected to your computer like you have it, then connect your monitor to the DVI port with the new HDMI cable and the adapter.

Pirusu on
    edited December 2010
    There's no degrading in quality from using a DVI adapter versus straight-up connecting HDMI to the HDMI port?

Also, are there any additional adjustments I should make through my graphics card's control panel? I want to keep the settings the same between both displays, so I only have to just select between my TV and monitor while keeping the same resolutions and such.

edited December 2010
    Nah, there shouldn't be any quality degradation.

Assuming your television outputs at "1080p" (1920x1080) you should just set both television and monitor to that. The only other option you'll have to worry about is you are essentially running two displays. If you just want the same picture to be displayed on both (Instead of having an "extended" desktop), you'll have to make sure that "mirror my desktop on my second display" is selected instead of "Extend my desktop to my secondary display".

Pirusu on
    edited December 2010
    Originally I just kept my TV as a secondary display, due to resolution differences. But since they're equal, maybe I can try the mirror method, just so I the most I would ever have to do is switch to my TV's HDMI slot for the PC.

In any event, my monitor arrived today. Looks very slick. As an LED, it might end up looking better than my TV (also a Samsung 1080p). Gonna set it up later, can't wait. :D