As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Pro and Photoshop brush questions

AxleMooreAxleMoore Registered User regular
So at some point in the near future I plan on upgrading to a Mac Pro. I'm currently using a gateway laptop. It was pretty expensive at the time, top of the line. Now it's aging and burning out and just really can't hold up to what I'm using it for.

I've been looking at the Mac Pros and it's between this and this. Basically all I use it for is photo shop and video playback. Sometimes at the same time. Don't use them for gaming at all. Basically is there any reason for me to pick more expensive one? or is the Basic Mac Pro way more than I'll ever use? Money really isn't an issue here so exclude that from the equation.

And secondly, this question might be better asked in the Artist's Corner, but what is the standard brush or pencil people use in Photoshop? I've been using a Intuos4 for a while now but my strokes are one width based on the brush size. Where as I've seen other peoples lines get bigger or smaller based on how they're pushing down on the tablet.

AxleMoore on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you're only using Photoshop, you should consider if a maxed out MacBook Pro is a better choice.

re: brushes. Use whatever you feel comfortable with.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have you considered a 27" iMac for it instead?

I know you said money isn't an issue but you get a LOT more bang for buck from an iMac than a Mac Pro.

Instead of the second option I'd rank this as a better choice at about the same price.

For comparison, the Mac Pro:
    $3,499.00
    Specifications
    Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (8 cores)
    6GB (6X1GB)
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    One 18x SuperDrive
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide

The iMac:
    $3,349.00
    2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
    2TB Serial ATA Drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    Magic Mouse

From what I understand the i7 behaves much like an 8core processor, while I'm sure its not quite as good as two quad core processors, I'm sure it's plenty good enough. The video card in the Mac Pro is better, but I'm not sure how much better. But you get an extra 10GB of RAM in the iMac, twice the storage, and a beautiful 27" screen. And you save $150. I actually wouldn't buy the 16GB ram upgrade from Apple, and would get 2X 8GB kits from DataMemorySystems ($288 rather than $1000 through Apple, bringing the price down to $2637 ($2349+$288), and a massive $863 savings from the Mac Pro.)

Honestly, just for photoshop, the iMac is waaaaay more than enough, even if it isn't as good as the Mac Pro.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    AxleMooreAxleMoore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Honestly, just for photoshop, the iMac is waaaaay more than enough, even if it isn't as good as the Mac Pro.

Perfect. iMac it is. Thanks for the help guys.

AxleMoore on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    AxleMoore wrote: »
    Wezoin wrote: »

Perfect. iMac it is. Thanks for the help guys.

Sweet, you won't regret it.

I've had mine about a month now and am still amazed by it everytime I turn it on.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Noice.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just out of curiosity, what specs did you go for?

Wezoin on