As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]sgiving is over; onward to [CHAT]smas!

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FLkdgh;asdghasdkjghalskjghew

I've been trying to help one of my best friends overcome his alcoholism by being supportive and trying to be around a lot so he doesn't feel he has to go out and drink from boredom or something. And everyone knows he's trying to quit drinking, but then this one guy comes around... who says he's a "friend", etc. And takes him out to drink. Like, what the fuck?! Seriously! How can you call yourself a friend and then encourage your "friend" to drink when you know he has a fucking problem?

Sorry to vent, but this is the only place I go to where none of my friends are to see it.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    FLkdgh;asdghasdkjghalskjghew

I've been trying to help one of my best friends overcome his alcoholism by being supportive and trying to be around a lot so he doesn't feel he has to go out and drink from boredom or something. And everyone knows he's trying to quit drinking, but then this one guy comes around... who says he's a "friend", etc. And takes him out to drink. Like, what the fuck?! Seriously! How can you call yourself a friend and then encourage your "friend" to drink when you know he has a fucking problem?

Sorry to vent, but this is the only place I go to where none of my friends are to see it.

it happens constantly. they are enablers and they simply don't seem to understand the harm in it

I know somebody who has been an alcoholic for...gosh, probably more than 30 years

she's surrounded by people like that

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm so ridiculously angry right now, I can't believe it.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know what you exactly what you mean, PN. I bought this game and the very next day it goes on sale on Steam.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    JDcapoJDcapo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I feel you. Just started snowing here today too.

JDcapo on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Got back last night from 10 days in paris with the wife.

God it was amazing. The food. The pastries. The bread. The chocolate.

The museums. Musee D'Orsay is the best museum I've ever been to. Good lord!

And the city in general.... ugh. It hurts coming back to ShittyAmericanUsedToBeIndustrialTown after walking around that city. Paris is gorgeous.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

And the city in general.... ugh. It hurts coming back to ShittyAmericanUsedToBeIndustrialTown after walking around that city. Paris is gorgeous.

Europe is gorgeous ;)

m3nace on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want to pitch a little tent in Musee D'orsay...

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    I wanna go to europe pretty badly. Wasser you should have brought paris back with you.

Iruka on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

soooooo jealous

Tam on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tam wrote: »

soooooo jealous

One of these days I will be a fancy enough gentleman to visit Paris.

PROX on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Despite what you may think, you don't have to be that classy to visit Paris.

Last time I was there, the first night I witnessed a drunken French lout chase after a hatchback, kick out its back windshield, and get into a huge road rage argument with the driver and occupants of said hatchback. This is not something you see in a lot of the guide books.

Also, it always feels good to return to my apartment after spending time at my mom's house, if only for the fact that when I'm by myself, I can relax and take a nice, leisurely poop.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Last time I was there, the first night I witnessed a drunken French lout chase after a hatchback, kick out its back windshield, and get into a huge road rage argument with the driver and occupants of said hatchback. This is not something you see in a lot of the guide books.

Yeah there were a lot of lousy tourists there.

We went to the catacombs and you wouldn't believe the lack of respect and just crassness of some people. Taking flash pictures despite signs everywhere in multiple languages that its not allowed. Picking up skulls and taking pictures with them. Even trying to steal skulls and bones! They had a guy checking people bags as they left!

Or Notre Dame. Jees people. Im not at all religious, but I can manage to be respectful of the service currently going on. Running? Talking loudly on the cellphone? Entering the 'mass only' section to take pictures of the people praying.

Also. All the Italian tourists were as rude as all get out. I'm sure there were plenty of quiet Italian tourists, but the obnoxious Italian tourists were so goddamn obnoxious. On multiple occasions we were literally pushed out of the way while trying to take a picture so they could take one. Or them just trying to walk up to the front of the ticket line trying to butt in front. Lord I feel a bit racist :|

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

"How do I feel about injecting small animals who- though they may be innocent- aren't sapient with potentially dangerous substances in an effort to better understand and cure human diseases and otherwise improve human lives? Slightly conflicted, but ultimately overwhelmingly justified. Develop a model that's just as reliable and easy to grow though, and I'll gladly switch to that in the spirit of minimizing harm."

See, this is a good point, but the thing is we don't inject them with anything! It's a reproductive biology lab!

lyrium on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah there were a lot of lousy tourists there.

We went to the catacombs and you wouldn't believe the lack of respect and just crassness of some people. Taking flash pictures despite signs everywhere in multiple languages that its not allowed. Picking up skulls and taking pictures with them. Even trying to steal skulls and bones! They had a guy checking people bags as they left!

Or Notre Dame. Jees people. Im not at all religious, but I can manage to be respectful of the service currently going on. Running? Talking loudly on the cellphone? Entering the 'mass only' section to take pictures of the people praying.

Also. All the Italian tourists were as rude as all get out. I'm sure there were plenty of quiet Italian tourists, but the obnoxious Italian tourists were so goddamn obnoxious. On multiple occasions we were literally pushed out of the way while trying to take a picture so they could take one. Or them just trying to walk up to the front of the ticket line trying to butt in front. Lord I feel a bit racist :|

Holy bones is the best stewin' bones.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    lyrium wrote: »

"How do I feel about injecting small animals who- though they may be innocent- aren't sapient with potentially dangerous substances in an effort to better understand and cure human diseases and otherwise improve human lives? Slightly conflicted, but ultimately overwhelmingly justified. Develop a model that's just as reliable and easy to grow though, and I'll gladly switch to that in the spirit of minimizing harm."

See, this is a good point, but the thing is we don't inject them with anything! It's a reproductive biology lab!

I know. I'm just saying, even if you did. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    mousez.jpg

This mouse loves science!

lyrium on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know what makes Sundays the best days... mimosas with your girlfriend.

Maybe followed by some League of Legends, Torchlight or L4D2. Who knows!? The possibilities are endless! Ooooh, or AC2: Brotherhood... oooooooooo I like where I'm going with this.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    It's true: I often enjoy my Sunday mimosas with your girlfriend, Prosp.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Dammit Elliot, don't go behind my back. Just let me know maaaaan.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, I'm always down to invite you, but the Milk Man, the guy from the bowling alley and your brother always through a fit when I suggest it. Sorry :(

• Options
    edited November 2010
    seriously, Mars? through?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Whatevs. I'm talking about group banging Prop's girlfriend, not writing a term paper. My fullest attention, it does not have...

• Options
    edited November 2010
    I feel great that I questioned the language error and not the suggestion of group sexing a dude's girlfriend behind his back

Though really, Prosp could have been talking about someone else's girlfriend

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Indeed, I was actually talking about Elliot's girlfriend. "My Girlfriend" is code for your girlfriend lovin' all on me.... too ridiculous?'

Yikes, that's quite the totp... everyone drink mimosas!
    large-mimosa.jpg

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If you were referring to my ex-girlfriend it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit!

But enough about that, let's talk about Love at the End of the World (not the Sam Roberts album, though equally worthy of discussion)!

A friend of mine put together a post-apocalypse fiction group, and I'm going to guest lecture from time to time. I'm thinking of making my first topic be about love, sex, and romance, post catalyst.

Does anyone have any good stories that spring to mind?

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    If you were referring to my ex-girlfriend it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit!

But enough about that, let's talk about Love at the End of the World (not the Sam Roberts album, though equally worthy of discussion)!

A friend of mine put together a post-apocalypse fiction group, and I'm going to guest lecture from time to time. I'm thinking of making my first topic be about love, sex, and romance, post catalyst.

Does anyone have any good stories that spring to mind?

"The world ended, then we banged."

Admittedly this is slightly less poignant than Hemingway's take on making a 6 word long story.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm not after campfire stories! I meant more along the lines of ones already written. Unless Hemmingway wrote a story I don't know about? It could be Hills like White Elephants, who fucking knows, that story could be about anything!

• Options
    edited November 2010
    It's not exactly post-apocalyptic, but some of the Martian Chronicles stories might be appropriate. Massive recolonization has a similar feel, maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_Chronicles

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks Lyrium

EDIT:

Here's something I plan on showing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aykaOKDRtgY&feature=related

A cheesy show I used to watch as a kid. Some episodes were great, some not so great, but I do remember this one in particular was pretty good. And it's a good lead-in to my lecture!

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The facial animations in this are crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfZq_OdU80&feature=player_embedded

Rockstar's starting to jump past uncanny valley.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The fancy facial mocap is impressive.

Unfortunately rockstar is still janky as shit with body animations, and so it kind of undermines the entire effort.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    also the clothes look like they are made of plastic

i hate to sound nitpicky, but it actually looks bad

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Everything in the Unreal3 engine looks like a wet sack of oranges, but nobody seems to complain (except me, natch).

• Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like things in my video games made out of shiny hard plastic. I don't know what your problem is.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Everything in the Unreal3 engine looks like a wet sack of oranges, but nobody seems to complain (except me, natch).

isn't that a failure of art direction rather than the game engine? batman looked good but commissioner gordon looked like he washed out of the gears academy

i mean, mass effect 2 is on unreal engine 3, even

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    D-Robe wrote: »
    I like things in my video games made out of shiny hard plastic. I don't know what your problem is.

you seem to be the game's direct market.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    People, videogames will break the uncanny valley and reach real-life quality within our lifetime. But it sure as hell won't happen on this or probably the next set of consoles, so developers need to work on the games atm

Saint on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They should always work on the game. If the game is fun the people will buy.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Good face mocap also really highlights dead unmoving eyes.

Iruka on
This discussion has been closed.