As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows XP Mup.sys hang on startup

rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
Uuggh, my brothers computer is giving me a hard time. When it boots it hangs on Mup.sys. I tried replacing the file, restoring the registry, and renewing a previously working state but none of those worked. I tried several Windows XP disks but they all hang after the "Press F* to install custom RAID drivers" so I can't run chkdsk. I tried going into Ubuntu and running ntfsfix but that did nothing.

I don't know what to do now. The Windows XP disks don't work and I can't get into Windows, I don't know where to go from here.

Edit: SOLVED

rayofash on

• Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What exactly do you mean by hang? As soon as mup.sys is loaded, all hard drive activity stops, or does it keep accessing yet not go into Windows?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's actually hanging after mup.sys (once it shows a name, that means it's loaded). It's hanging at ACPI init. Try this:

Change your ACPI settings in BIOS. Reboot, then change them back. Unplug all USB devices except keyboard and mouse, and try booting again

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hard drive stops at Mup.sys. I'll check the ACPI. It doesn't have any USB devices in, I tried unplugging the CD-ROM drive but that didn't help.

Edit: Disabled ACPI, didn't work.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fixed it, the memory slot had died. Putting the memory in another slot fixed it.

rayofash on