As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Multiplayer (Cooperative?) Console Games for a Couple

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend and I are pretty avid gamers, but quite often we play our own, separate single player games. I was hoping to find some places we could come together in our tastes and enjoyment besides MMO style games, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

We're both avid computer gamers, so we have that aspect covered, but we have some neglected consoles that I'd love to have some fun game time with, I'm just not sure what's good for 2 player shenanigans.

We have a Wii, a Gamecube, a PS2, a Dreamcast and a pair of DSs. Rarity isn't really an issue, because I'm pretty good at hunting down games, and I'm willing to go the extra mile if it's good. I'm mainly looking for cooperative multiplayer games that can be enjoyed with only 2 people.

In the past, we've enjoyed a lot of beat em up classics, and dungeon crawlers like the gauntlet series, so anything like that would be great. We've also played the Diablo games and similar on the PC.

Currently we have:

Newest Mario Party games for Wii/Gamecube
Mario Kart for Wii/Gamecube
Super Smash Bros for Wii/Gamecube

Anything else is fare game. Suggest away!

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmmm... I would have several 360 suggestions, but since you don't have one I won't bother.

You might look into the Dynasty Warriors games for PS2. My husband and I did quite a bit of co-op hack'n'slash on those, and I remember them being fun. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was spiffy fun, much like Gauntlet.

For Wii you could try Trauma Team; that does have multiplayer but I can't admit to having tried it because we got that game post-baby so I mostly sat and offered "helpful" advice (those stitches suck. You suck too) while my husband played, but you could look into it.

illirica on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games on PS2 sound right up your alley.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The X-Men Legends s games are nice dungeon crawler games, specially if you like the X-Men; I have the first one, and it was really fun to play with 3 cousins (On Gamecube) I haven't played the second one, but I don't really think it would be any different.

You could also get the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games, which according to the wiki pages, they have Wii versions.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tales of Symphonia is a fun romp. Just make sure the ranged player is player 1.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I got drunk the other night and ended up buying that Lara Croft and the Guardian of the Light game on Steam. It said it had co-op, and my buddy on ventrilo figured it would be a good idea.

Hilarity ensued.

We wanted co-op, and it delivered. I just didn't have the mental capacity to be useful in the game. I usually dove off cliffs and threw spears at random things while he laughed at my shortcomings. Good times.

Edit: Saw the thread title. I believe that game is on Console. Apparently it got crazy awesome reviews.

StrifeRaZoR on
    StrifeRaZoR.png
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I suppose I'm open to PC suggestions as well, but there aren't many games these days that have LAN Co-op.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    house of the dead: overkill is a rad light-gun game that's really fun with two players

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    New Super Mario Bros.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also the new Donkey Kong for the Wii.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I second the nomination for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. The co-op needed in that game is surprisingly in depth.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have you checked out some of the older stuff on Virtual Console?

Granted, nothing there will be long term, but it'll be fun for awhile.

Trauma Center: New Blood also has a co-op mode and both doctors have different abilities.

If you can find Phantasy Star Online for Cube, it has splitscreen. However the story is gutted and you're reduced to just grinding the levels and doing challenges (NOT Hunter missions, but the time trials).

Dragon Quest 9 on DS is supposedly good.

There is a downside to X-Men Legends 1, there are some sections that are single player only (where you play Magma at the mansion. Nothing combat relation though, I don't think). However they fixed this in the sequels (Legends 2 and Ultimate Alliance).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tales of the Abyss, if you can find it, for the PS2, is an excellent 4-player RPG that does a few things better than Symphonia. I highly recommend it.

Ages on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    legend of zelda - four swords is fantastic co-op
    or Crystal Chronicles "can" be fun
    the baldur's gate series i will double second as really good multiplay co-op
    super mario galaxy 1 and 2 have a "type" of co-op that can be good if you have someone that wants to be a helper.

Pailryder on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    All the Lego games, pick and choose your favorite franchise (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman)

edit - and Harry Potter.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The newest Kirby game also has co-op.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do NOT get Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for the Wii. It's the worst port of that game that you can get, mainly because of the terrible controls. The port was made when everyone was obsessed with every Wii game having some sort of waggle instead of just using the wiimote like a controller. Every time you want to punch someone or use a power, you have to use waggle somehow; it also mistakes what you're doing for another type of motion pretty consistently. Don't buy this game, it's one of the few game purchases of this generation that I really regret. If you're going to buy Ultimate Alliance, do yourself a favor and buy it for another system.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do NOT get Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for the Wii. It's the worst port of that game that you can get, mainly because of the terrible controls. The port was made when everyone was obsessed with every Wii game having some sort of waggle instead of just using the wiimote like a controller. Every time you want to punch someone or use a power, you have to use waggle somehow; it also mistakes what you're doing for another type of motion pretty consistently. Don't buy this game, it's one of the few game purchases of this generation that I really regret. If you're going to buy Ultimate Alliance, do yourself a favor and buy it for another system.

While this is true to an extent, you can also avoid having to do that by just setting whatever you want to use as your active power and just pressing A (I think it's A at least). You don't need to use the motion controls in anything except the annoying quick time event scenes. My wife and I played through the game on Wii and almost never actually used the motions for our powers.

In my opinion, it's certainly not enough of an issue to pass up the game on Wii (since the OP doesn't have a PS3 or 360 to get it on) as it is a pretty fun coop game.

Daenris on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Ultimate Alliance games came out on the PS2, also.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MUA for the Wii still stands one of my favorite purchases. I never live down throwing Cap's Shield with a flick.

Call of Duty: Reflex has Coop where someone is the player and the other is a secondary shooter/cursor on the console. Played arcade mode with a friend, got a bit of getting used to but he enjoyed himself.

If you guys are into arcade shooters
    House of the Dead Returns 2+3
    Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles are great for a bit of story and Darkside was designed with coop in mind.*
    Dead Space: Extraction is a worth a rental. And some puzzles were designed for coop.
    Ghost Squad. Coop on the higher levels is pretty much mandatory. This game is designed for high multiple play throughs.
    Metal Slug Collection
    Sin and Punishment 2 (second player is an added cursor)
    Spiderman Friend of Foe (a bit on the kid's side though)
    ANY of the lego games (starwars, harry potter, indiana jones, batman ...lots to choose from)*

oooo...If you can find alien syndrome. It's like 3 bucks used if you can find it. me and my friends played this for like 7 hours and didnt get bored. I saw that you mentioned gauntlet. This should be up that alley. Beware it was one of the early releases for the wii, graphics don't hold up well but gameplay does. They based the steam game alien swarm after this.

Wiiware / Virtual Console
    Contra Rebirth
    Contra 3
    Let's Catch
    Bomberman Blast
    Defend your Castle*
    Streets of Rage 2
    World of Goo*
    Gunstar Heroes*

delphinus on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For the Wii, I suggest Ghostbusters. It's not as good as the 360/PS2/PC version of the game, but it does have something the others don't: offline coop. My fiancee and I enjoyed it a lot, though there was a bit of handholding on my part since she's not as avid as I am.
    "Come back this way."
    "Which way?"
    "Turn there.... No right. That's still left. Ok right now."
    "My right or my guy's right?"
    "They're the same right."

Since you say you're both fairly avid, that won't be a problem for you. Other than that, it has some interesting features - you have to work together to catch ghosts. You have to move them in three dimensions with the capture stream, and in coop it makes you take turns slamming them around to stun them, you can't just catch them in one motion like you can in single player.

I've seen it crazy cheap used, too, under $10 at some local places, I think Gamestop still wants $14.

Hevach on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm throwing in another vote for the Lara Croft co-op game. I played it with mongoose and had a blast.

skettios on
  • Options
    KotenkKotenk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's a shame none of those systems support Borderlands - it really is the best co-op game out there right now.

Kotenk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They've got a couple of PCs...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My girlfriend and I enjoy the shit out of New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart Wii. We played some Kirby's Epic Yarn and had fun. I panicked and and sneezed in her face while we were playing. That may have been unrelated to Kirby, though. Still fun. : )

Uh...anyway. I have to second the Dark Alliance games (The first one, at least, though it might be a bit dated now) and the Marvel games.

Underwhelming on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dragon Quest 9 is fun as co-op and has the added bonus of being able to play the same character out of co-op. I think the ability to have "guests" in game is about an hour or so in. If you don't go crazy on alchemy and exploring and treasure map hunting I'd guess you could beat story mode in ... 15 hours or so. I think I beat it at 40. Then it actually has an extensive "post game." Basically the game turns into Diablo after the story ends and you just going for more loot 'n dungeons.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I probably should have mentioned we have M:UA for PS2 >_> It has served us well for some time now.

We also have new super mario bros (or as I like to call it, try not to push eachother into pits: the game) and the mario galaxy games, I just didn't think about them because I find them more engaging single player experiences.

I adore Borderlands but the missus doesn't really play FPSs. Then again, maybe I could convince her to convert if there was a steam sale and I show her the vast and wild amounts of loot ala Diablo.... Food for thought.

All the suggestions so far are really great! I totally forgot about Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles. Two games I wanted to play but didn't have friends who would back in the day, I'll definitely check them out (although I heard they suffered with fewer than 4 players).

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    JeilanJeilan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    All the Lego games, pick and choose your favorite franchise (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman)

edit - and Harry Potter.

This.

My brother and I picked up Lego Batman and had so much fun with it that we had to try all the others. Some of the cutscenes are pretty ridiculous/hilarious too.

Jeilan on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If your wife is interest in collecting loot, then show her the Boarderlands thread in G&T.
    There's a picture in the OP that I used to convince my friend to get the game.
    Casually mention that each one of the glowie points is an individual gun.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're going to play Four Swords or Crystal Chronicles multi, I'm pretty sure you need a gba for at least one player. Could be wrong though.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA