As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anything productive I can do with old (2001 and 2006) nonworking PC's good parts?

UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi folks. I've got a PC from 2001ish and one from 20006ish, both with a bad mobo/good everything else. Can you give me ideas on what to do with these things?

Any chance I can make some money off them?

If not, are there places that accept them as donations or something? Or anything else I haven't thought of?

Underwhelming on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's this place where anybody can try to sell anything. It's called eBay. They use sort of an auction model. There's this other site that uses a sort of online classified ads model called craigslist.

Old PC parts can be sold, but often not for very much. Still, it may be better than nothing. There are a lot of organizations that often need to keep old PCs running in particular configurations, and will sometimes source parts from eBay. Keep an eye on what similar parts are selling for. You may have to wait a while for a buyer.

Motherboards are as cheap as dirt these days; it's conceivable you could repair the circa-2006-era machine and turn it into a capable media player/home theater PC.

I am not sure who will take non-working electronics as a donation. Probably not too many places - I know of a Goodwill Technology Store near me that takes working electronics but having been in there it's really the dregs. If you just want to get rid of it, most electronics recyclers will take the equipment off your hands for free (it's then sent somewhere to have the valuable bits reclaimed).

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There are places you can donate nonworking electronics either for repair and re-use or just competent disposal. If you google for computer recycling or electronics recycling in your area you'll probably find some, assuming you live in a fairly densely populated area.

The 2001 era machine is probably a loss as far as resale, except maybe for a few bucks to a hobbyist. The 2006 one, if it had decent to good parts for 2006, you might still be able to get a little money out of if you replace the failed/terribly outdated parts.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget