As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

International Travellers Guide to PAX 2010

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in PAX Archive
International Travellers Guide to PAX 2010

This thread is guide to those that are travelling to PAX 2010 that live outside the borders of the United States of America.

It must be understood that I'm writing this guide with a heavy UK bias, so forgive me for this for that is where I'm from. I will try to encompass as many other nations as is possible and would appreciate any corrections and additions.

So without further ado, here is the tips for those travelling to PAX 2010 from beyond the shores of the USA:

1) Check your Passport and visa requirement.

We are strangers in a strange land and as such must have a valid pass port that has at least 6 months left before needing a renewl in order to gain entry into the US. This however only applies to residents of nations other than the UK. If you are from the UK, a 6 month extension is added to your passport, even if it's close to expiry date. For more information on this, please follow this link.

Note that there is a Visa Waiver system for people from the certain countries. Read on to find out more:

VISA WAIVER PROGRAMME

It is a requirement that an application for a waiver to a visa entry to the US is carried out online. This is compulsory prior to travelling to the US. It is preferred that this is done at least 72 hours before travelling. The information you need to complete the form is as follows:

1) Passport No.
2) Passport issue date and expirary date.
3) Flight carrier.
4) Flight No.
5) City from which you are flying from.
6) Name and full address of hotel you are staying at whilst in the US.

For access the online form click on this link.

Those who live countries that do not recognise the visa-waiver scheme must obtain a U.S. tourist visa from an American Embassy or Consulate. This also applies to those who do not qualify for a Visa waiver. This also applies to members of the media if they are covering PAX 2010.

2) Travel Insurance

Now granted your stay in the US will be relatively short, but you can never be too cautious. The US does not have a National Health system so any medical treatment you receive will be charged to you if you have no insurance, so do please take some out before leaving. Also make sure you read the fine print of your insurance docs and a copy of them so that you can access them easily!

3) Money

There are some things to note when handling US currency. First, get a Cash Passport Card which can be charged up with money prior to leaving. It can be used like a credit card and will allow you to withdraw funds from cash machines. You can also use your credit card to withdraw cash from holes-in-the-wall. I can personally vouch for this, as I had one throughout PAX '08, E3'09, PAX'09 & PAX East 2010 and it worked on every cash machine I encountered.

For more information on Cash Passport Cards follow this link.

Remember to buy your currency as late as possible to take advantage of exchange rates. If you have never been to the US before, you will notice that the bills are all the same size regardless of value. Annoying I know, but true. So be mindful of this. Click on this link to see what each bill looks like just to help you: US Bills

Also, if you do plan on using a credit/debit card while at PAX 2010 you must inform your issuing bank/company that you will be doing so. Banks have an automated fraud detection device that will block your card from working fully if you don't inform them that you plan to use your credit/debit card abroad. The best course of action is to call the number that is located on the back of the card.

Finally, on types of cards note the following: The above mentioned Cash Passport Card make has a Visa symbol so you'll be fine using it for withdrawing any money from a hole-in-the-wall that supports Visa. With regard to Maestro cards, while common in Europe they are hit or miss in the US. Some places can run them, others don't.

4) Mobile AKA 'Cell' Phones

Provided your phone is a Tri-Band one it will work fine. Your carrier (02, Orange, Vodaphone, 3 & T-Mobile) will have global services but they generally cost a huge amount of money. You get charged for receiving calls and people calling you on it get charged international rates, as the phone is not a local one. To get over this, buy an AT&T SIM card in the US that has a pay-as-you go deal attached to it. That way your phone becomes a local one and everyone is happy. I know I did this and it worked a treat on my own UK phone. This method will only work if your mobile is unlocked! Alternatively you can buy a $15 (£7) pay as you go phone to tide you over however this may not be an option to those that cannot bear to be seperated from their own phone.

Once you leave the US the number associated to this SIM card will revert back to AT&T after a period of time, depending on how much money you have slapped onto it. If you place $25 you get 60 days of ownership whilst if you stick $100 on it, that number is yours for 12 months. That's even if it is not used whilst you are outside the US.

One final point, if you are using an iPhone or other smart phone all 3G online functionality will be shut down from it. No access to the internet will be allowed across a 3G network without paying a massive premium. Sending basic SMS messages is fine but is charged at 20 cents a shot, both sending and receiving. Please bear this in mind whilst you are at PAX. If you must gain access to Twitter and/or Facebook, find a WiFi network and use that. Do not try to use 3G!

Information for Canadian Rogers iPhone users.

You can buy US Data/Text/Voice Travel Packs for your phone before crossing the border. They are probably cheaper than paying whatever ad-hoc fees you would otherwise incur.

More details here:
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...enfr-_-roaming

5) Travel

Some are braving the West Coast Train Trip by flying to LAX and then taking the train from Los Angeles to Seattle. Others (me) are flying to Seattle from London. Taking 14 hours (including layover) this is a long haul flight, more so than many other PAX attendees which means we have a lot of sitting around to do. The DS/DSi will last longer than your PSP but bring both (assuming you have both) as you'll need to break the trip up. Also charge them before you head off to the airport. You may want to bring on the reading material described below as well as the in-flight magazine doesn't have much in the way of video game related stuff in it, sadly. If you have a PSP get a spare battery for the flight, you'll need it!

6) Reading material

Whilst a variant of English is spoken in the US and indeed their magazines are written in it (despite the odd spelling issues), you'd be advised to take along the latest copies of The Edge, Retro Gamer and Games TM. None of these fine publications are readily available in the US outside Barnes and Noble and reading them whilst on the plane and in queues at PAX will make things a little more bearable. They can also be used as trading items/bribes as they are much sought after in the US.

7) Power

If you want to be able to continue to charge your DS and/or PSP you need to bring an adaptor. The giant UK plugs don't fit too well in US sockets so do buy a power plug adaptor before you head off. Also note that whilst your PSP and Laptop will work fine off of the 110v US power supply it won't work at all for any consoles, should you be even considering bringing one. Don't, it just won't work without some kind of step up transformer to bring it up to 240v. Then there's the PAL output which makes things even more complicated...

Note: UK DS & DSi Chargers will need a step up transformer to function. Follow this link to order yourself one: Stepup Transformer and Maplin sell on for £25 here.
Step_up_Transformer.jpg

Alternatively, you can just buy a cheap 3rd party charger in Seattle. By doing so you do carry the risk of voiding your warranty with Nintendo, as it's a third party charger! You have been warned!

8) Drinking and ID

The drinking age is 21 in the US, not 18 as in the rest of the world. This can confuse many and result in some crest fallen British folk when they try to buy some alchohol. Those of you that are 21 and over will be asked for their ID prior to buying any alchohol.

I personally had no problems with getting a drink using my European drivers license during PAX '08, PAX'09 or PAX East 2010. Carrying around your passport is the only safe option but it does risk you losing it. Yes it's a pain as the risk of losing such an important document is great, as are the consequences.

Also note that no matter how old you actually look, you will get checked. Yes I know it's ridiculous, but three is a policy of 'don't think, just do', so you have to prove you are over 21, even though you clearly look it! Remember this if you try to appeal to the bar staff if you forget to bring your passport with you!

In summary: if you intend to drink when you go out, TAKE YOUR PASSPORT.

9) Tickets/Badges

Tickets purchased from outside of the US will be posted to you. You have to pick up your lanyard from the 'Will Call' or Ticket Collection area at the Sheraton Hotel.

10) Telephone numbers

To dial for emergency services use 911, not 999. For directory enquiries use 411 or, if that doesn't work use 555-1212 or 1-555-1212.

11) Weather

PAX Prime takes place in the late summer and whilst overcast most of the time the weather will be very pleasant. Usually hovering around 22-25 degrees C and no rain. Nevertheless there is a risk of rain so do be prepared for it. Never rained when I was at PAX '08 mind you, but it did during PAX '09. By all means check the BBC website weather section a week before you go.

12) Tipping

Not something British people are used to, but it is somewhat endemic in the US. The list below will give you an idea of what tips you are expected to give:

*Food server: 15-20%, make sure to see if gratuity is included for larger groups. If you pay with a credit card, try and leave the tip in cash

*Bartender: $1 per drink is standard, but a few dollars more shows you appreciate a finely crafted cocktail or some bartenderly advice.

*Taxi: 10% of total fare, maybe a little extra if driver helps with baggage etc.

*Doorman: $1 for hailing a cab or helping with your baggage

*Bell staff: $1-2 per bag, esp if they are heavy

*Housekeeper: $2/night. think about it, these people make your bed

*If your party is more than 8, the restaurant is will usually include a tip. Some will include it for 6 or more automatically.

Additional note on tipping: For tipping in restaurants, don't worry about putting tips on the credit card. However, if you are going to be splitting cheques (especially with multiple credit cards), make sure to let your server know right from the beginning and then tip them a little extra for the hassle =)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• Options
    stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    *If your party is more than 8, the restaurant is legally required to include tip. Some will include it for 6 or more automatically.

The legally required part is not true. The rest is and the auto-grat is a lot more likely if you are foreign.

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    @stabn_ Thanks for the advice on this. Tipping is an alien concept to us Europeans so any advice on it is welcome. I've amended the OP to reflect your comments.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Cash passport link added to OP, it was incorrectly omitted :(

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks, this was very useful! I'm planning to go this year from Spain and I need all the help and advice I can get.
    Now I have to find out if spanish DSleet (lite, sorry) need a step-up transformer...

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great guide, thanks for this.

EscoBlades on
    tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Always a fun read from you guys on the other side of the pond. :lol:

Tipping... yes, there is an endemic need to tip here in the states. I dont understand it myself and I live here...

Leaving the tip in Cash is 'nice' to do, but tips are tips, dont fret if you don't have cash. I've never found anyone turn down a tip from a credit card. For hotels, you don't really need to tip unless your in a Four or Five Star place.

If you feel you've been served wonderfully, go ahead and tip. If it feels... expected... dont feel like your obligated to tip.

Taxis are the only time I tip no matter what. 10% no more, no less.

That's what I have for tipping wisdom. I hope you all have a great time here in Seattle.
    Bring a raincoat. :mrgreen:

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    PascualPascual Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for this great guide. First time going to PAX and this helped a lot :D

Pascual on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Please remember to fill out the via waiver form online before flying out to the US. Link is here:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    PascualPascual Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Quick note about the tickets. I added the optional $15 fedex shipping to my order. So I don't think everyone will get their badges shipped to them but I may be wrong.

Pascual on
  • Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some notes on power.
    Often for consoles and such, you can just bum an American power supply off someone.
    I lived in Europe for a while then moved back to the US, so I have an EU Xbox360 in the US. If I want to play my EU region games, I just plug my EU Xbox360 into my US 360 power brick and away I go. Double check the output of both power supplies before you try it, but most of them only care about what kind of power you're feeding into them, the amount they supply to the device is generally standardized.
    For things like your handheld DS/DSi or PSP, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of people at PAX with chargers who could let you use theirs to recharge. Same thing as the consoles applies to the handhelds. If you're super scared of the US chargers, you can always use a USB charger, since USB has a universal power standard which does not change from country to country.

Also, on tipping at bars.
    Check to see how long the bartender will be on shift. If they're going to be there a while, you can give a big tip on the first round so he/she remembers you. This can help a lot getting drinks in a timely fashion for the rest of the evening if it's busy. Bartenders, like waitresses, make most of their money on tips. It doesn't guarantee anything and should be done in a discrete manner, but it can pay off well. Happy bartenders sometimes pour a drink wrong and give it to you, or forget to add a drink or two to the tab. All I'm saying is, how you tip a bartender can directly affect your night. Again, a caution: FIND OUT HOW LONG THE BARTENDER IS WORKING. If the bartender goes off shift in 5 minutes, you're going to be closed out, transferred to a new bartender, and will start your tipping from scratch.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    SilverravenSilverraven Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for this. Forgot to check my DS lite charger and now need to sort something out ASAP or else I will only have my phone to game on O_O
    Scary thought that.

Silverraven on
  • Options
    Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I cannot stress point 2 enough..
    I managed to get in a very nasty accident (through no fault of my own) within 16 hours of arriving for PAX East this year.. and yeah, was so very glad I had travel insurance..

when ER fees alone totaled $1,200 BEFORE anything else was added (like $500 worth of x-rays), paying the £30 is a bargain..
    And, well you're also covered in case the luggage gremlins decide to attack at the airport etc, so seriously don't leave home without it!

But if I may ask a question, I've never transferred flights in America, but am flying to Seattle via Houston- now will I have to clear immigration at Houston, or at Seattle?
    Oh and re visa waivers- they remain valid for a 2 year period right? So the waiver i got for the trip in march should still be valid right?:?
    Not been able to find an answer on the ETSA site's FAQ, so thought I'd ask fellow travellers!

Baka Al on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Baka Al wrote: »
    But if I may ask a question, I've never transferred flights in America, but am flying to Seattle via Houston- now will I have to clear immigration at Houston, or at Seattle?

You will need to clear US Customs and Immigrations in Houston. You will most likely arrive in an international arrival area where you will visit US Immigrations first and do the passport thing, move on to a special international baggage claim and claim your luggage and proceed to US Customs and Agricultural inspection. You probably don't have anything to declare and definitely don't bring fruit/veggies/meat/fresh food products with you! (All the little old ladies from Europe with their picnic baskets are always getting their bags searched.) Once you've moved on, there will be a conveyor to put your luggage back onto for your connecting flight to Seattle. You will then move to the domestic terminal of the airport pass through TSA security (woo American style!) and proceed to your gate for the Seattle flight.

This is pretty much standard procedure at all US airports for International arrivals. I've arrived in SEA, PDX, and ORD internationally. The only difference is as a non-US citizen/resident you have to go in the longer passport line and get fingerprinted. (Sorry! Even my poor Grandma had to do it!) Sometimes there may be a train/bus ride involved between terminals too.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BTW, I just wrote up a bit on my blog about US Data Roaming on Virgin Mobile Canada

So I mean, if anyone else is in the same situation, I just saved you a phone call, yo.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    lasnerjameslasnerjames Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    Quick note about the tickets. I added the optional $15 fedex shipping to my order. So I don't think everyone will get their badges shipped to them but I may be wrong.

lasnerjames on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Correct! Badges are mailed to US residents only, unless of course you add the FedEx option.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    For further guidance on travelling to PAX East 2011 from foreign climes please go to this thread. By request to the forum admins, please close this thread from any further postings. Thank you :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

This discussion has been closed.