As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS games with long term playability

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in need of one or two DS games. Preferably something either with a lot of replayability or exceptionally long. I have Pokemon Heart Gold now and it's easily my favorite so far. I've also enjoyed Phoenix Wright and some Megaman games though once I've beaten those I had no real desire to go back and continue.

So hey, suggest away!

Quid on

• Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Professor Layton games immediately come to mind. 130+ puzzles per game, and they are coming down in price.

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dragon Quest 9? I hear you can play that game basically forever.

zilo on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Dragon Quest 9? I hear you can play that game basically forever.

Seconded.

Looking over my backlog, I would also recommend Dragon Quest IV and V, Etrian Odyssey 1, 2, and 3, Infinite Space, Mega Man Zero collection (if you haven't played it), Disgaea DS, and perhaps Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer for long-ass games.

As far as very re-playable games, I would recommend Contra 4 (balls this is a hard game), Chrono Trigger, and Metroid Prime Pinball.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GutockGutock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd also recommend the Final Fantasy Tactics DS games. Solid titles with long play times.

Gutock on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Advance Wars? Dunno if there are DS specific titles, I think so. Great strategy games.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The World Ends With You is pretty great for that. Great campaign that's of a respectable length, and then a very very long and entertaining postgame that keeps you challenged. I'd say it's a good 60 hours min of gameplay.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Disgaea. Easily 300+ hours of play if you want to.

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Assuming you count 'just fucking around and having fun' as replayability, rather than games with specific, long term goals, Chinatown Wars is pretty great. I still pull it out during breaks in the day or on long trips and cause some indiscriminate mayhem.

Another genre to consider is puzzle. Though there's no traditional goals, Planet Puzzle League has devoured months of my time idly challenging the computer or working out various challenges.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I spent over 50 hours in Dragon Quest IX and I just barely scratched the surface. A real enthusiast could probably play it forever.

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shiren the Wanderer fits the bill.
    I think there's a whole PA thread about the game:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=52525

Like the op says, best RPG on the DS period.
    Shiren 4 is better.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I recommend Infinite Space, as someone else did above. It really didn't get enough exposure when it came out. It's basically an 80 hour space saga. Fights get repetitive, but it just has a lot of neat stuff in it, including buying up ship plans, building a fleet from those plans, and tricking out your fleet of ships with different room modules (rec rooms, sick bays, etc.).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Final Fantasy 4 got me about 60+ hours.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Disgaea has been mentioned, but I'm mentioning it again.

I'm also tossing a vote for Chrono Trigger on the DS. It may not have the time sink capability of Disgaea, but it's a damned fun game that you should be able to pick up fairly cheaply.

see317 on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Civilization for the DS.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Advance Wars Dual Strike will easily set you back 100 hours with campaign, war room and the various modes.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mario kart has awesome replayability and is really easy to pick up and get straight into

Beasteh on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PUZZLE QUEST

PUZZLE

QUEEEEST

also puzzle quest 2

Fletcher on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I had no idea Tactics and Disgaea were on the DS and I'm going with those. I absolutely adore Tactics and have wanted to play the other for some time. Thanks again to everyone's suggestions.

Quid on