As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Irisu Syndrome (Eng Patch!) -- Tetris by the country that brought you The Ring.

KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
n71itt.gif

Irisu Syndrome.

Now with English patch.

Irisu Syndrome is a cute game by an amateur team of... one guy. It's a puzzle game in the same vein of Tetris, Collums, etc -- basically, geometric shapes are falling, and you have to click to launch squares to bounce them around. Hitting two shapes together causes them to vanish -- but only if one of them is glowing by being hit with a square before it touches the ground for the first time.

You have a health bar, which goes down as shapes touch the ground without being fixed, and later, as time passes.

You can press space to speed the game up, but I don't suggest this early on.

And it has a cute albino bunnygirl! How can you go wrong with that?

Download here: http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/win95/game/se463417.html
Latest patch is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?vqmy8ptx3c9i7mt (1.4, updated 11/10/10)
(Original thread is on /jp/, a sub-board on the Imageboard that Must Not Be Named. I'll update the link as newer versions come out.)

Do not Google. Do not TVTropes. Just play. Much like Eversion, this is something you just have to... experience.

Spoiler tags, please.

KiTA on

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So uh.

What is it.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    So uh.

What is it.

... Crap, I knew I forgot something.

Well. Irisu Syndrome is a cute puzzle game. Basically shapes fall from the sky, and you have to launch squares of white or grey (right or left click) up to bounce them. Touching them with a white/grey square as they fall charges them up, charged up shapes destroy other similarly colored shapes. Two charged up shapes of the same color go boom for more points.

It's quite fun and addicting as hell. Tetris effect in full effect.

KiTA on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks to a thread on SA I started this game and then I vaguely remembered seeing it on here. So I'm bumping this because seriously, play this game people. This is more than just a puzzle game. Eversion doesn't have shit on this game. I just wish I could break 40k to unlock Metsu mode. I don't want to cheat, but I heard Metsu is easier than the original and I only just finally got 20k.
    I keep glancing to the bottom left corner of my monitor now.

KiTA you should give the thread a better title, because most people will just pass this up with a title like that. I can't really think of anything clever, but I'd steer away from the bunny angle. I still think the bunny look is kind of dumb, but everything else makes up for it.

Gilder on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gilder introduced me to this game...

Don't look because Gilder thinks you'll be spoiled.
    I haven't actually played through it all, but I read about it after playing it for awhile. I'm fucking terrified of that one picture. You know.... that ONE.

blaze_zero on
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Got to level 7 bitches!

KiTA wrote: »

Do not Google. Do not TVTropes. Just play. Much like Eversion, this is something you just have to... experience.

Looks like theres more to this than falling blocks. But is this a good or bad thing.

Edit: FUCK THIS GAME. I retract all negative comments I might have insinuated. please let me sleep tonight.

Lenore03 on
    edited November 2010
    I cheated and entered the Metsu code. 40k was just an impossible goal for me. I reached 30k earlier and died. That was it, I was never going to do better than that. However Metsu? 54k on my first try. It's also much more fun to me.
    The coughing. Won't stop.

Gilder on
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I keep reading the ingame title as Irish Syndrome.

My suggestion for thread title would be. "How far does the rabbit hole go?"

Something about the beach photo in the album:
    Look closely at the top of the rocks in between the two guys.

Lenore03 on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I played this at Gilder's behest, and unlike blaze_zero
    I experienced "the image" in the wild. It almost seems silly that it could be so terrifying, but there it is. Something about the way you've been staring at her face the whole time, I guess.

Good thing I don't plan on sleeping any time soon.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm playing this right, right? Just the mouse buttons?

Ok, most addictive game in a while.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I couldn't get it to run, regrettably.

Looking up what I have, I'm somewhat relieved.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited November 2010
    Hrm...that was...interesting.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Game just closes when I hit Start. :(

Glal on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yep, that's my problem too. Gilder says it's some Nvidia thing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, if you have Nvidia there's some steps you have to take so it can maybe work. First you need to go into your Nvidia control panel and set irisu.exe to antialias override. If that doesn't work then make sure your drivers are updated. If that also doesn't work you're screwed, sorry.

Also Aumni and everybody else just so you know what you're aiming for when playing, here's a little checklist.

20,000 points, 40,000 points, 50,000 points, Level 100, 100,000 points. I don't think that's a spoiler because it's very, very difficult to reach 40k and up so if you didn't know you had to you might think the game stops at 20k.

I love the irisu_04 song in the BGM folder.

Gilder on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I definitely thought that was the end. Ok, time to work up to 10000k, 32 is my best :(

Aumni on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Yeah, if you have Nvidia there's some steps you have to take so it can maybe work. First you need to go into your Nvidia control panel and set irisu.exe to antialias override. If that doesn't work then make sure your drivers are updated. If that also doesn't work you're screwed, sorry.

I had this problem as well but forcing antialiasing and all that to on seemed work.

Though I'm really not sure how to play this game... I lose at like 30 points. :(

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited November 2010
    Here's a tutorial on how it works.
    Let's call the pieces on the ground dead blocks, and the pieces falling down live blocks. There are 3 states those live blocks can have: Falling, activated, and chained.

Dead: Dead blocks are a pain in the ass. On their own they can only do two things. First, if you launch them up to a falling block in any state you'll get rid of it. This is very risky though, because the game can freak out and make you lose points anyway by activating and deactivating the block, and also they can make the wrong colors activate if they touch, and ahhhhh it's not worth it. It's not worth it. The second thing they can do is if a falling block in any state touches it on the ground it'll disappear and you'll get points. Do this instead.

Note: A dead block cannot became live. It will always stay dead.

Falling: If a piece is falling it doesn't interact with anything except the floor and the dead blocks. If it touches either of those then it also becomes a dead block and adds to pile. You will lose health because of this. If a falling block touches the same color of dead block then it will give you points and disappear. If a falling block is over a dead block then let it drop. It's less to worry about.

Activated: An activated block can do a few things. First to activate a block hit it with a weak shot or strong shot. That's left and right click respectively. This block can be hit an infinite amount of times and no longer slowly drifts down. Your goal is to make this block hit a dead block on the ground or, and this is your main objective, it can hit another falling block of the same color in any state and chain it. If an Activated block touches the ground and does not become chained or hit the same color it will become dead and you lose points. Here's the most important thing though: An activated block that has not been chained will activate any other falling blocks that aren't the same color. This is incredibly dangerous because if you get 5 or more different blocks falling you will lose a ton of health.

Chained: So let's say you hit a blue activated block into a falling blue block. Congrats, you've chained them. A chained block will not activate any other color of block. When they touch the ground they will immediately disappear and give you points. You're safe and you cannot lose health off of them. Now if a chain block hits any more of the same color you'll get even more points. So chain as many as you can. This means knocking activated blocks into the chain or knocking a chained block into a falling block. This is the core of the game. However chained blocks get one new roadblock. A chained block can only be hit one more time by a shot before it disappears. If you hit it twice the block will vanish. The other blocks stay chained, but you won't get points for the one you destroyed.

So there you go. I'm sure I missed a few things, but consider that like an 80% tutorial. Also realize that a lot of times the game will just decide you lose. If you get a flood of blocks all different colors next to each other you're screwed. There's no way you can chain them all unless you're a robot.

Gilder on
    edited November 2010
    Jesus even knowing all that its tough to break 2 thousand let alone 20k or 100k...

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited November 2010
    Awwwww crap. I somehow fluked my way to 100k, and now I have just level 100 to do. This won't be easy.

randombattle just try to get 20k and then use the Metsu code. It's what you unlock at 40k and I honestly believe I could never get 40k in the original. Metsu is a lot better and it's still challenging, but you have more scoring opportunities.

Gilder on
    edited November 2010
    60k in normal mode. The event is kinda freaky.

Aumni on
    edited November 2010
    Man, I don't even know how you managed to get that high of a score. The physics for triangles is just too weird for me. Care to say what happens at 40k?
    If you enter the code you just get the cat in the corner to switch modes, and then you see the cutscene that I assume is the Metsu intro when you click it. If there's anything else you don't see it, and I don't know if it would even count to get 40k now.

Gilder on
  • firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What is this cheat and Metsu mode everyone talking about?

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
    edited November 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Man, I don't even know how you managed to get that high of a score. The physics for triangles is just too weird for me. Care to say what happens at 40k?
    If you enter the code you just get the cat in the corner to switch modes, and then you see the cutscene that I assume is the Metsu intro when you click it. If there's anything else you don't see it, and I don't know if it would even count to get 40k now.
    Well I went from 36k to 60k, so I may have skipped the 40k. But basically the bunny girl gets freaky red eyes and just stares at you, eventually the screen starts to flicker and stuff. Then you go back to the titlescreen.

Aumni on
    edited November 2010
    Hahaha holy shit that is awesome. As long as I didn't miss story that's all I care about. I can't believe I care so much about a puzzle game's story.

Firekiun, metsu mode is
    The sequel to the game. It changes the way the actual game is played. The triangles become only squares and orbs start to rise from the bottom. It offers a lot of chaining opportunities but since the orbs can't be lifted you really need to keep up with destroying them. If they fill up half the screen you're done for. You normally unlock Metsu by getting 40k in the original, but myself and a lot of others find the original game far too difficult to get that score on. So if you absolutely can't do it you can enter the following code on the title screen: Up x4, Right x2, Down.

Gilder on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I didn't realize I had unlocked it till you mention the cat face.
    Have you collected some of the notes already?

Aumni on
    edited November 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't realize I had unlocked it till you mention the cat face.
    Have you collected some of the notes already?
    Yeah, I got a note and text file for 50k and another note for 100k. The last one should come from level 100 but I was only level 75 and 106k. So it might take me a day or two to get that.

Gilder on
    edited November 2010
    Well I haven't gotten past 40k but
    Why did Irisu kill Uuji if she had the hots for him and just wanted to kill the one chick?

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited November 2010
    Oh motherfucker! I actually got 44k legitimately in normal mode just now, because I had 10 minutes before a show started. All that metsu practice made me really good apparently. Alright I don't feel bad about cheating now. I did go back and meet the legitimate requirements.

Gilder on
  • AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Does it do... that, every time you break 40k in Normal mode? I got past 20k and did the code. I feel like I should experience it some time, just don't know if I need to move my save data to get it.

Asharaxx on
    edited November 2010
    Some little easter egg stuff if you haven't already figured it out:

Clicking on the game title on the main menu switches between 3 BGMs for each mode [3 for metsu 3 for normal]

Holding space while on the normal menu will result in a secret message in japanese scribbled in the background. Only could read bits and pieces, pretty much about the bunny and cat.

EDIT: Oh! And the photo.png changes a lot. Keep looking at it.

I can't wait to get the 100k event.

Aumni on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wait. There's more than just the 40 or 50k thing and new game? Getting 50k+ was pretty easy, and I saw the new game and "real" ending. How do you activate the other modes?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited November 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Wait. There's more than just the 40 or 50k thing and new game? Getting 50k+ was pretty easy, and I saw the new game and "real" ending. How do you activate the other modes?

Yeah, there is a minor event for 60k, and supposedly something for 100k...not there yet.

Aumni on
    edited November 2010
    I already deleted everything.

But whatever. Wasn't so hard to get 40k in one puzzle segment, and there are 4 of them. Getting 100k can't be that much of a stretch.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reading this thread just makes me want to tvtropes it more.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited November 2010
    Honestly you wouldn't get much out of looking it up online.

What there is to get in the first place ain't exactly world shattering, just interesting.

The true ending kind of defeats any of the tension going on.

Page- on
    stream
    edited November 2010
    Not sure why it triggered, as it was a pretty crappy run, but I finally got some kind of ending in Metsu. I was clicking so angrily over how the game had screwed me in that round that I wonder if I skipped over anything. I don't think I did though. I think clicking doesn't advance or skip anything in the endings. I just got worried when I realized the picture was taking too long to go away and after clicking like twice after it went black I went "Oh crap is this an ending?!" and stopped.
    I got a replacement photo with Irisu in it after some dialogue about how it wasn't according to the plan. I also got the Suicidal Rabbit Diary, and the white scribbles over Age's face in the photo have disappeared.

I guess I still have the level 100 ending to get? Did I get the 100k ending? I don't even know.

Gilder on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't know an English patch came out recently. I guess I"ll go through the game again.

Even when I played the game vanilla, it was pretty gripping though I only got the gist of the plot.

It's going to be tough getting the level 100 ending again in normal. Metsu is so much easier.

Good stuff on the thread KitA, I think it was just you who replied when I talked about the game in the old doujin games thread.

Joule on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What do you mean?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited November 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    What do you mean?
    I'm hoping it wasn't the true ending, but basically the story ends with a HAH! GOTCHA! Ending kinda removing all tension and is actually disappointing

Aumni on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    What do you mean?
    I'm hoping it wasn't the true ending, but basically the story ends with a HAH! GOTCHA! Ending kinda removing all tension and is actually disappointing
    It's not quite the true ending. To get that you need to get a 100k point clear of the game.

----

Normals feels so hard since I haven't touched this in awhile. Only got up to level 45/73k points. This is going to take awhile. Stupid small triangles.

Joule on