As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Artist's Corner
I just can't say no!
http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise

[edit] I've read through the rules maybe a dozen times now, and I'm confident that the "Assets" that may not be used elsewhere are existing Star Trek assets, like if you wanted to use a sovereign for scale. The "Submission Image" must be created originally for the this contest specifically, but the rules say nothing about posting it, or wips elsewhere afterword. Now that the submission period has closed, I can restore my wip images to this thread. I couldn't find them all, but you should still be able to see the design evolve. Thanks again for all your help :)

Original text follows:

The idea is to make her really big, almost starbase sized, and to join the warp nacelles to the saucer.

[edit]
The Enterprise is by definition a vessel used primarily for exploration. This Enterprise would serve the same purpose, but also support a small fleet for long, dangerous expeditions.

[edit] It's been pointed out that I need to be working within the confines of an unfamiliar game universe. I'll do some research, but this idea^ doesn't seem to be logistically implementable, and I'm back to square 1.

The Enterprise D was so much sleeker and more futuristic than it's earlier counter-parts. Why did the design aesthetic seem to get more utilitarian and... ugly after TNG?

Fuzzy Modem on

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So your first thread got locked, and it looks like in an attempt to repost your thread as quickly as possible, you whipped up a WIP so fast that you didn't even end up following the contest guidelines? And this thread has nothing to offer, all over again?

We can't even critique the only image you have, because you've scrapped it. :?

The only advice I can think to give at this point is to try and think out of the box a little more. This ship looks way too similar to the older version.

NightDragon on
  • Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So your first thread got locked, and it looks like in an attempt to repost your thread as quickly as possible, you whipped up a WIP so fast that you didn't even end up following the contest guidelines? And this thread has nothing to offer, all over again?

We can't even critique the only image you have, because you've scrapped it. :?

Hard to argue with any of that. My bad. If the mod wants to lock again I'll wait until I'm well into the process before starting again, but I should have some basic shapes out by this afternoon.

I've been criticized recently for not showing enough of my early wip, so I guess I was starting with that in mind, and over-shot the mark.
    The only advice I can think to give at this point is to try and think out of the box a little more. This ship looks way too similar to the older version.

I was actually thinking the other direction, disconnecting the nacelles from the saucer and reverting to something closer to the original.

It's a hard place to be, because If you move away from the same basic shape, you've failed to create the Enterprise, but you want it to be distinct enough to get noticed. Right now I'm thinking circular saucer, and sleeker than the D, but I think I need to work in a more subtle direction. It should still be instantly identifiable as the Enterprise at first glance.

[edit] As to the contest guidelines, I haven't found any yet. The page say's it won't begin until Dec 9th, did you see something I didn't? If so I'd love to know. Right now I'm really just doodling, specific guidelines would be very helpful.

[edit]
    Currently staring at this picture:
    startrekships1.jpg

[edit]
    While I'm pondering, I've modeled the most recognizable aspects of the enterprise, and I'll now start deciding what characteristics I want to move away from.

cliche_web.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i'm not a 3D guy, but wouldn't it be more logical to start on paper for a good concept and then move to 3D? i understand that's what most pro's do (judging from the "the art of.." books)

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited November 2010
    i'm not a 3D guy, but wouldn't it be more logical to start on paper for a good concept and then move to 3D? i understand that's what most pro's do (judging from the "the art of.." books)

I'm doodling on paper too, but there are advantages to looking at things in 3D, where you can easily move shapes around to see how best to arrange them.

I haven't been able to get my scanner working with Windows 7, but maybe I'll just take some photos.

[edit]
    Paper doodles:
    paper_doodle_web.jpg

I may be moving in a direction now, with the orthos on the bottom.

[edit]
    I'm learning that Star fleet design philosophy has changed in specific ways since TNG.

I admit to having bailed on Trek in favor of Babylon 5. I've probably missed 75% of the material that came after TNG (movies excluded) so it's not surprising that I'm having trouble.

I was a huge trekker as a kid though. TNG was on every day after school during the only time I had to myself before my parents came home. I had toys, books, schematics,scale models and talked about all of them pretty much non-stop, to the irritation of my friends and relatives :P

I won't win this contest. I could visualize it with the other two, but not this one, and that's fine. I'm still jazzed. As long as I've been doing 3D modeling, I've never made an Enterprise.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    Still very early/rough, and I'm very open to suggestions.
    enterprise_001b_web.jpg

Anyone else planning on entering?

[edit]

I think I need to re-imagine the nacelles completely. I want them to overlap the saucer section like they do, as I haven't seen that done before, but I think they need to be longer, extending farther back, and less like tng/tos.

I'm also torn on the current no-neck design. I'm tempted to make it nice and thick like the excelsior, but it seems that would be continued movement toward the past, rather than extrapolating the designs of the future like I ought to be.

I've been looking at this ship:
    stsfc0000MonarchM.jpg
    -and I think it's the closest to the direction I want, but with everything swept forward.

[edit]
    Another paper doodle:
    paper_doodle2_web.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this one :)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    It's very low poly at the moment, but here is the 3D version of the paper sketch above:
    enterprise_002b_web.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bet you could safely change the shape a lot and still have it have the feel and look of an "Enterprise". Briefly looking through the internet it seems that everyone thinks that you can't stray from the original look very much at all. To hell with these standards! I'm going to design one and it'll be the awesomerprise. Thanks for giving me something to do, Fuzzy.

Arden Canelo on
    edited November 2010
    I bet you could safely change the shape a lot and still have it have the feel and look of an "Enterprise". Briefly looking through the internet it seems that everyone thinks that you can't stray from the original look very much at all. To hell with these standards! I'm going to design one and it'll be the awesomerprise. Thanks for giving me something to do, Fuzzy.

You should post you wips here :)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    I personally liked your doodles a lot more than the 3D WIP you whipped up, simply because the design seemed a lot more uniquely-shaped...with the horseshoe crab lookin' front.

I kinda agree with Arden on this - I think you could get away with really pushing the design, here. You could probably get pretty crazy with the bulk of the ship, and maybe keep the nacelles similar, and it would still come across as "Enterprise".

The latest WIP seems to have unnecessarily long nacelles, and again, the design is much too identical.

Maybe make some black and white silhouettes (of just the ship from an aerial perspective) and play with shapes...make shapes that you think are too crazy, too out of the box, too out there. Usually when I'm doing thumbnails, a lot of the first iterations are kinda cliché - they're the first things that pop into my head, and they're not incredibly interesting. The more you do, though, the more you challenge yourself - and I've discovered that even after I've made a silhouette (#5) I think I'm going to go with, later on I end up making something that I find a lot more interesting (could be #15, #30, whathaveyou).

NightDragon on
    edited November 2010
    Another doodle:
    paper_doodle3_web.jpg

And another low poly model revision:
    enterprise_002c_web.jpg

[edit]
    Minor progress:
    enterprise_002d_web.jpg

None of these objects will make it into the first real draft btw. I'm just trying to establish shapes, curves and proportions before I actually get started.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Me, I'm not really about the ships of Star Trek per se, but, a thing you could consider is maybe taking some of the other ships to look for clues about a new Enterprise design. Like, say, the Klingon Bird of Prey or whatever that thing's called. It's unmistakably part of Star Trek, but looks nothing like the Enterprise. So maybe it has some traits that can adopted into an Enterprise redesign to make something really different that still has an authentic Trek feel?

Just my two cents.

Linespider5 on
  • The FoolThe Fool Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Your latest polish has really improved the design. The silhouette looks much more streamlined. Looks cool, looks like it fits into the Star Trek universe, but it's still very generic federation. Too much like the current Enterprise.

I'd recommend doing a ton of different designs (just quick, tiny sketches). Give some multiple saucers, cut the saucers in half and use three of them, connect the nacelles to the ship differently (like your original idea), change the shape of the necelles, give it a flattened body, etc, etc. Any and all ideas you can come up with.

I think this, as opposed to just tweaking one basic design, will flex your creative muscles, and eventually you'll find an idea or two in the mix that will set you apart from the crowd.

And try to make sure it's got a unique silhouette, like the popular Akira class (Here: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Akira_class_ILM_CGI_model.jpg)

Keep it up! I'm watching with interest!

The Fool on
    edited November 2010
    Okay, I think I'm ready to start modeling the first draft. Working on a good looking saucer right now, and I think I've gonna keep it.

I think after I model each hull section I'll stitch them together, then experiment with smooth settings and subdivided surface conversion. My hope is to get something a sleeker than the Enterprise D.

I'm still learning Maya's modeling tools. For a decade I modeled in Rhino, then exported to Maya for texturing and rendering. I left Rhino behind a couple years ago now, and I find there is still a lot of Maya I just haven't scratched the surface of yet.

Fortunately, a buddy sent me a Maya textbook. Thanks man :) You're a lifesaver :)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    Progress on the 1st draft.
    enterprise_003d_web.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    I'm playing with basic shapes again, experimenting with connecting the nacelles to the saucer like in my first wip image, and just trying to come up with something more interesting, attractive or unique.

enterprise_004a_web.jpg

[edit]
    Minor changes:
    enterprise_004b_web.jpg

[edit]
    Gak. Apparently I just re-created this:
    steamrunner.jpg

Coming up with something that hasn't been tried before is proving rather difficult.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    It's interesting what happens when I extrude the secondary hull out of the back of the saucer.
    enterprise_005a_web.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That looks like the Sovereign Class, like the Enterprise E

USS_Enterprise-E_at_warp.jpg

800px-Sovereign_class_master_systems_display.png

NotASenator on
    edited November 2010
    Something I whipped up for pondering purposes:
    enterprise_evolution_web.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    Moments before I fell asleep last night I came up with something that may not have been done before:

entusi_01a_web.jpg

-but does it look like an Enterprise?

[edit]
    I think I'll move forward with this horseshoe shape idea, which I'll refer to as the "Entusi" from now on (Homeworld players will catch the reference :p)

I may abandon it eventually in favor of something more recognizably Enterpris-ish, but in the meantime, what can I do to make it look bigger and more like the traditional Enterprise without loosing too much of it's distinctness?

[edit]
    And no, I don't feel I'm ripping off Homeworld any more than they ripped off the SpaceJockey ship from "Alien." Crescents and horseshoes are fair game.

[edit]
    Made a few minor tweaks and re-uploaded.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Put it this way - if you have a big saucer thing and two long red warp thingies its going to look like star trek. Those are iconic symbols of the franchise. Work around and with those and just get crazy with designs.

EDIT - I have no WIPs to show yet >_>;;

Arden Canelo on
    edited November 2010
    I feel like you we're constantly knocking ya down by doing this...

But your latest ship looks like the Ushaan class already in the game. Here: http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/ushaan

But I'll admit, your ship looks more federation than the Ushaan :P

The Fool on
    edited November 2010
    The Fool wrote: »
    I feel like you we're constantly knocking ya down by doing this...

But your latest ship looks like the Ushaan class already in the game. Here: http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/ushaan

But I'll admit, your ship looks more federation than the Ushaan :P

No, it's a good thing. I need stuff like this brought to my attention so I know which direction NOT to go. I appreciate it.

I think by focusing on the horseshoe shape (which that design lacks) I can still come up with something distinctly unique.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    Had to post this picture for the sake of sheer epic-ness.
    7th_fleet.jpg

[edit]
    Playing with the idea of 4 nacelles.

entusi_02a_web.jpg

It's starting to look a bit like a tOS Romulan bird of prey.

1273394888-18494-0.jpg

I think I need to go longer/slimmer to avoid this similarity.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks like the Sabre class:

jc_sabre_Sabreup-down.jpg&sa=X&ei=IjH0TK6-LISClAe4wdiBCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFiUvxPBLA30uVy6GAoJFYfNOfrIw

Here's an idea: put the engineering hull above the saucer section. Or, get rid of the saucer altogether (GIS A7 aircraft, with the deflector being the air intake).

As much as I love Trek and the Enterprise, the saucer, engineering, two nacelle design is tired. It's too iconic to change in a serious way (seriously, look back at all the bitching done about the NX class ship). Think outside the box. An Antiprise would be more interesting than another ship with the same general Federation shape.

Just my $0.02.

Nightslyr on
    edited November 2010
    Hmmmm... the horseshoe shape is still the only really unique thing I have going. I wonder if I could drop the saucer altogether...

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    Having fun with my wife's calligraphy pen.

caligraphy_01a_web.jpg

Getting pretty far out there...

Does anyone know if saucer separation is supported in-game? I'm guessing not.

I may keep the same basic shapes though.

Are the curved nacelles kosher?

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    Hooooray for the "Prt Scr" key!

fatal_error.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited November 2010
    Couldn't sleep last night and scribbled these while half-awake:
    late_doodles_web.jpg

The first one I drew is the big one on the left. After that I decided to retreat back to the familiar enterprise silhouette, but keep the stacked saucer/horseshoe, as you see on the bottom right.

The doodle on the top right is the only one I really like.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Really? I like the one on the bottom left.

Some real-world goings-on in the design and construction of contemporary naval vessels which may influence your thinking about how Star Fleet might have gone about designing a new vessel: currently the trend around the world is towards smaller hulls designed to operate in littoral environments and away from larger blue-water hulls. Smaller ships are cheaper and easier to build and operate. They're a more cost-effective solution to a lot of the maritime challenges we're facing in the 21st century -- if we remember back to the incident off the Somali coast when pirates boarded MV Maersk Alabama and held her captain hostage in a lifeboat, we had to send an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, U.S.S. Bainbridge, to deal with the situation. It costs the American taxpayers millions of dollars every day to operate Bainbridge, while it costs the average pirate company in Somalia a couple hundred dollars to mount a raid. Additionally, the situation was finally resolved with a .50 caliber rifle, a marksman and a bullet that costs a few dollars. We don't need to tie up a strategic asset like a 9,200 ton warship armed to the teeth with tomahawk cruise missiles every time a handful of mopes in a rickety boat and a couple of AK-47s decide they want to try and run down a cargo ship.

The problem with a smaller ship is, obviously, you can fit less stuff on it, so it has fewer tactical systems built into it; or, if you put a lot of tactical systems into it, you have to go into battle with fewer or smaller warheads because there's not a lot of space for more munitions after your initial salvo. Some navies approach this engineering challenge by purpose-building its ships for a single tactical role -- some boats are designed to provide an umbrella of air-cover with more surface-to-air missiles while missile boats provide surface-warfare punch.

The U.S. Navy tends to prefer hulls that can multi-role because our experience has been that on a long enough timeline, invariably the commander of a warship will be asked to accomplish a mission outside of the design specifications for his vessel. Multi-rolling is difficult with smaller hulls. One of the solutions to this challenge we're looking at is increasing the amount of modularization in our future hulls. Hulls are built with large open bays, and various missions packages can be loaded into those bays as the situation demands. So if an LCS is operating inshore near the border between North and South Korea, for instance, we know from recent events that they have used small submarines to torpedo ROK-flagged patrol ships in that area, so we can anticipate that there might be a need for an anti-submarine warfare package to be loaded into the mission bay. Before sending that same ship to the straights of Hormuz to enforce navigation rights for ships entering and leaving the Persian Gulf, we can remove the ASW package and put in an mine-sweeping package if we believe the Iranians may attempt to mine the straight.

As that might apply to imaginary spaceships? Maybe think of a smaller, faster starship that's deployed for months at a time, not years. Imagine a saucer section that's essentially a framework for plugging in various geometrically-identical mission modules which can be hot-swapped either in starbase or by a support vessel, so the ship is capable of being customized for the mission at hand without having to try to specialize in all possible missions at all times.

SammyF on
    edited November 2010
    enterpriserpent_web.jpg

I'm going for kind-of a flying animal vibe.

[edit] Reading and digesting SammyF, response soon.

[edit] Arleigh Burke was my great uncle :) Still reading...

[edit] Here is a thought, what if the lower horseshoe shaped section of the saucer is removable, and can be replaced with any number of mission specific modules, the default being heavy firepower?

Fuzzy Modem on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    enterpriserpent_web.jpg

I'm going for kind-of a flying animal vibe.

[edit] Reading and digesting SammyF, response soon.

[edit] Arleigh Burke was my great uncle :) Still reading...

[edit] Here is a thought, what if the lower horseshoe shaped section of the saucer is removable, and can be replaced with any number of mission specific modules, the default being heavy firepower?

That's an interesting concept, but impractical as far as storage of the module units or transport by a support vessel would go. For replaceable mission modules, at a bare minimum you want something that's large enough to be independently functional but small enough that it can be shipped in bulk with multiple other mission modules. Ideally, if you were in charge of designing and procuring multiple mission platforms for a single fleet, you would probably look for designs that utilized mission modules which were interchangeable between platform designs -- in other words, in a perfect world you would be able to detach a medical support missions package from an Excalibur-class starship and plug the exact same module into a Scimitar-class starship, preferably in less than 24 hours. Or whatever you want to call your hypothetical starship classes.

You can't do any of that with a removable horse-shoe shaped section because it's too big and too bizarrely shaped. On the other hand, if you have a saucer section that looks kind of like a bicycle wheel with several spokes radiating from a central axis, and you wedge interchangeable pie-shaped modules between those spokes to fill in the gaps to create a saucer, that would give you smaller, more-manageable and more-interchangeable modules that would add an element of authenticity to your design -- it's the sort of thing a room full of engineers designing a new ship by committee might imagine.

SammyF on
    edited November 2010
    SammyF wrote: »
    You can't do any of that with a removable horse-shoe shaped section because it's too big and too bizarrely shaped. On the other hand, if you have a saucer section that looks kind of like a bicycle wheel with several spokes radiating from a central axis, and you wedge interchangeable pie-shaped modules between those spokes to fill in the gaps to create a saucer, that would give you smaller, more-manageable and more-interchangeable modules that would add an element of authenticity to your design -- it's the sort of thing a room full of engineers designing a new ship by committee might imagine.

That's a really good thought. Makes me think of Trivial Pursuit game pieces. I don't think it's the path I'll take though. Maybe someone else wants to work in that direction?

Regardless of whether I make the horseshoe detachable, I am thinking I'll cover it with weapons, and put the impulse engines on the back of it. The upper saucer will be the primary habitat area, and will have lots of windows and maybe an arboretum.

Where should I put the bridge?

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    I agree - the one on the left in post #29 is pretty interesting. You keep going back to the same old tired concepts when you open up Maya....but that sketch, and #27, have something new going on, I think.

NightDragon on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Moments before I fell asleep last night I came up with something that may not have been done before:

entusi_01a_web.jpg

-but does it look like an Enterprise?

[edit]
    I think I'll move forward with this horseshoe shape idea, which I'll refer to as the "Entusi" from now on (Homeworld players will catch the reference :p)

I may abandon it eventually in favor of something more recognizably Enterpris-ish, but in the meantime, what can I do to make it look bigger and more like the traditional Enterprise without loosing too much of it's distinctness?

[edit]
    And no, I don't feel I'm ripping off Homeworld any more than they ripped off the SpaceJockey ship from "Alien." Crescents and horseshoes are fair game.

[edit]
    Made a few minor tweaks and re-uploaded.

I really like this version.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not sure how much this will help you out Fuzzy, but here's a image of all the playable federation ships in Star Trek:Online. It should provide some idea of the design philosophy they've followed for the ships in the game.
    Also, it is fucking huge, so I won't inline it.
    Linky

Also, you asked earlier if saucer seperation was supported. It is, but is only available on the Vice Admiral cruiser retrofits.

Klingon ships if you're interested...

Also, if you're still interested, here's an obscenely long Let's Play thread from the Something Awful forums. The guy does a good job of making the game entertaining by removing about 90% of it from his videos.

see317 on
    edited December 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    Not sure how much this will help you out Fuzzy, but here's a image of all the playable federation ships in Star Trek:Online. It should provide some idea of the design philosophy they've followed for the ships in the game.
    Also, it is fucking huge, so I won't inline it.
    Linky

That's AMAZINGLY helpful! Thanks! :)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    I swung way back the other direction, totally "Enterprise" Enterprise again. It has flavor though, just no originality.

All one object, just extrusion modeling and a smooth.

1701-f_v01.01_web.jpg

[edit]
    1701f_v01_hq_web.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
  • pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kind of looks like a cross between the enterprise and voyager. Also looks kind of like a swan.

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
    edited December 2010
    Would beefing up the ass and legs improve things? I'm still in a good position to be making major tweaks, so all suggestions are appreciated. :)

[edit] Gonna slim the neck a bit too.

[edit]
    Drawing on my screenshot in photoshop:

1701-f_v01.01_rx_web.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    I agree - the one on the left in post #29 is pretty interesting. You keep going back to the same old tired concepts when you open up Maya....but that sketch, and #27, have something new going on, I think.

I can't help but agree with NightDragon. Those two images have been my favorites so far. They're very streamlined, very cool, and don't really remind me of any ships the federation has already.

You've tried other horse shoe saucer sections, but maybe just take one of those two designs and use it as the saucer section? If not, they stand alone nicely too.

As for your latest design, it's side view silhouette looks crazy disjointed and out of proportion. Even though there is no air in space, you want your ship to look aerodynamic to appeal to the eye (gotta win those votes in a contest!) One of the designs you were getting inspiration from even went so far as to include fins lol

The Fool on