As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Want to buy a good graphics tablet for artist boyfriend

SciFientistSciFientist Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
But, I have no idea where to start. Any advice will be most appreciated. Budget is around $400, but I'm willing to go higher if it means getting a way better product.

Thanks!

SciFientist on

• wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I work in commercials and animated feature films and the industry standard is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823100052&cm_re=wacom_intuos_4-_-23-100-052-_-Product

wallabeeX on
  • wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I should add that while you can get them bigger most individuals opt for this smaller size as it's easier to fit on the desk. So, truly the standard.

wallabeeX on
  • SciFientistSciFientist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Awesome, that's actually the one I was considering. Glad to know I'm not completely technology illiterate!

SciFientist on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I recommend that as well. I have the 12inch one, and it is a bit too big.

streever on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    thirding

you can't go wrong with a mid-size wacom

Tam on
  • HIGH NOONHIGH NOON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fourthing

brother (aspiring comic artist) swears by this tablet. It's the perfect size to work with, and there's some incredible technology behind wacom. your boyfriends a lucky guy to get a present like this!

HIGH NOON on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wacom is the benevolent dictatorship of the tablet world. There really is none better.

Wassermelone on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Agree'd with everything...

I have the smallest size Intuos, but I tend to draw small, and don't use my arm to draw a whole lot, so it seemed the most natural-feeling size to work with. Unless he typically draws very small or very large, I think that'd be a great size to get.

NightDragon on
  • AxleMooreAxleMoore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Get the Intuos4. But get him this one.

You can get an "academic" version of the large Intuos4 for around $396. The academic version is completely identical to the "regular" The only deference is that it says academic on Amazon's website.

It's a little more expensive, but I feel it's justified. Or if a large would be way to big for him there's the medium size academic version as well.

AxleMoore on
  • SciFientistSciFientist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the help, guys. Additional question: are there any particular programs for drawing/design that I should buy to go with it? I can do a little computer-snooping to see what he already has, but not being an artist myself I don't know which programs are best for that sort of thing.

SciFientist on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter are the big 2 that come to my mind.

Most people probably have a non-legit Photoshop, or an out of date version. The current version is CS5, so if he has a legit earlier version you can buy the upgrade for $200. Honestly though, if he has Photoshop or Painter he probably doesn't need the the upgrade unless he's askin' for it.

Although I think you get a free lite version of one of the programs with an Intuos..been a while.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jumping in real quick, does anyone have some simple instruction on how to get a bamboo pen and touch to work with gimp, I can't get the eraser and to work or the lines to be smooth.

RoyceSraphim on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    use the pen and tablet to open up gimp

that works for me

Raneados on
    edited December 2010
    It works that way but everything is all jagged and none of the other clicks work.

RoyceSraphim on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    have you configured your tablet with the driver?

Raneados on
    edited December 2010
    Downloaded the drivers and trying it out now.

RoyceSraphim on