As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best Korea and Dear Leader's Howitzers

1789101113»

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fil wrote: »

My question is: If China pushes for reunification under the control of the South, and Seoul agrees, what does Pyongyang do?

My gut feeling is self-immolation. Nuke everyone they can.
    That would be bad for their health. I think the ruling class of North Korea's best option, if reunification is inevitable, is to get the best deal they can for themselves personally. A nice retirement package.

Hoz on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »
    This is when wiki leaks does the world some good.
    Wikileaks isn't responsible for China's stance on Korean reunification.

Rather, Wikileaks just disclosed sensitive Chinese foreign policy and, being a pessimist, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chinese backtracking or at least significantly less enthusiasm for its previously unspoken desire to see a single, Seoul-led, Korea.
    China wants Korean reunification, officials confirm

Chinese officials speak after Guardian US embassy cables reveal Beijing is leaning towards acceptance of reunification under Seoul's control

DarkCrawler on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone in Pyongyang is panicking right now, I imagine.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think what probably warmed them over, if any of the cables had an influence, was the one where the South Koreans were talking about giving the Chinese economic concessions and guarantee that the US military won't be on their border. If they're talking in private about being that generous, it kind of takes the fear out of the situation for China.

Hoz on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ronya wrote: »

You know, I think the professional military men are absolutely terrified of any chance of war. I don't see a military coup toppling the Jong-Il being too far out of the range of possibility if it seems China will actually be on the side of South Korea.

DarkCrawler on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

You know, I think the professional military men are absolutely terrified of any chance of war. I don't see a military coup toppling the Jong-Il being too far out of the range of possibility if it seems China will actually be on the side of South Korea.

FWIW (not much), that's how NK ends in the Tom Clancy novels.

enc0re on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

And right around the time of a figurehead change in NK as well. Not to mention the whole shelling the island thing.

This might be big, or it might lead to nowhere. I hope it leads to somewhere good.

Again, not surprising. Bad for Pyongyang (well, the leadership there), yes, but not surprising. China's behavior for the last few years has been indicative of this.
    enc0re wrote: »

FWIW (not much), that's how NK ends in the Tom Clancy novels.

Fuck, that rules out the coup option. Once again, Clancy makes the world just a little bit worse whilst selling popular books.

Synthesis on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How this plays out will have huge implications for our relationship with China for a long time.

It might also wind up being the defining event of the first Obama term, for good or bad.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

From what I've been reading, the big wigs of the NK military is pretty pissed off with the possibility of KJU inheriting leadership of NK. They probably also hate the fact that KJU was recently made a 4 star general with absolutely no military experience.
    According to Al-Jazeera articles I've been reading, Kim & son apparently visited the artillery battery in question a few hours before it fired at the South Korean island. A lot of experts speculate this was an attempt to promote KJU as a worthy successor capable of fending off the "treacherous" South Koreans, by making a scenario where KJU orders an artillery attack on South korean soil.

Dram on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dram wrote: »

From what I've been reading, the big wigs of the NK military is pretty pissed off with the possibility of KJU inheriting leadership of NK. They probably also hate the fact that KJU was recently made a 4 star general with absolutely no military experience.
    According to Al-Jazeera articles I've been reading, Kim & son apparently visited the artillery battery in question a few hours before it fired at the South Korean island. A lot of experts speculate this was an attempt to promote KJU as a worthy successor capable of fending off the "treacherous" South Koreans, by making a scenario where KJU orders an artillery attack on South korean soil.

Pyongyang is burning and Kim Jong's are shooting artillery.

mrt144 on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dram wrote: »

Sounds like a perfectly logical way to convince the command structure Jong-un deserves that promotion.

Octoparrot on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    How this plays out will have huge implications for our relationship with China for a long time.

It might also wind up being the defining event of the first Obama term, for good or bad.

The only sensible option is for obama to pre-emptively nuke Alaska, just to keep them off kilter

override367 on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Outcrazy NK? I suppose we haven't tried that yet.

enc0re on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    Outcrazy NK? I suppose we haven't tried that yet.

Nobody can out crazy Dear Leader! Not even his own son...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim-jongun-privately-doubting-hes-crazy-enough-to,18374/

Dram on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I think what probably warmed them over, if any of the cables had an influence, was the one where the South Koreans were talking about giving the Chinese economic concessions and guarantee that the US military won't be on their border. If they're talking in private about being that generous, it kind of takes the fear out of the situation for China.

Considering the only reason we are in South Korea is because of North Korea, if NK went away, I can't see there being any reason at all for us to have a base there anymore.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The US has forces all over Europe and Japan still. Why wouldn't it station in a unified Korea? China and Russia's still right there.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The US has forces all over Europe and Japan still. Why wouldn't it station in a unified Korea? China and Russia's still right there.

The forces in Korea are there just to make sure the US gets involved in any action. You also have forces in Australia and Japan - no one's going to be launching a land invasion from Korea, and in a practical sense, any war with China won't need one anyway.

electricitylikesme on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

The forces in Korea are there just to make sure the US gets involved in any action. You also have forces in Australia and Japan - no one's going to be launching a land invasion from Korea, and in a practical sense, any war with China won't need one anyway.

Isn't that the same with pretty much all our international military bases? It's not like one military base will be enough to fight a war- they just they're to show our intent, and maybe launch some airstrikes from there if necessary. Also it's probably much easier to incrase an existing base than start a new one, if push comes to shove.

Pi-r8 on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

Isn't that the same with pretty much all our international military bases? It's not like one military base will be enough to fight a war- they just they're to show our intent, and maybe launch some airstrikes from there if necessary. Also it's probably much easier to incrase an existing base than start a new one, if push comes to shove.

That's always been my interpretation. The major point is basically "no US forces on the Chinese border" would be easy. If action against China was ever needed it's much more likely the bombers would fly from Japan. Or you know, just be missiles launched from Utah.

electricitylikesme on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it would give an opportunity to buy favour with china, since the US still has bases in japan

could be all 'hey look we're leaving isn't that nice of us' but not really

L|ama on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Somehow I doubt the hermit kingdom would be keen on allowing us to remain.

Speaker on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

Truely the real tragedy of the whole situation.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png