As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet Solutions?

JackRellikJackRellik Registered User regular
Hi all, first post. I'm currently trying to set up a midrange gaming rig for my cousin, and I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how I'm going to get the thing connected to the internet.

Here's my issue: My cousin has a router connected to the family PC in the living room. The new computer is going to be in his bedroom, which is on the second floor and on the other side of the house. Now, apparently, the router that they have offers WiFi, but according to my other cousin, whenever they enable it, it messes with the wired connection to their main desktop. I'm going to be heading over to their house to try and see what the issue is, but even assuming I can get the WiFi working without it killing the wired connection, what are my options for connecting the new computer? I've considered installing a wireless NIC, but I don't have any experience with them, and I'm not sure if they'd provide sufficient speeds to suit his gaming needs.

Some background info on myself: I'm currently finishing 9 month IT course at a technical school and aiming to get my A+ certification. Unfortunately, the school I'm attending honestly has a horrible IT program, filled with professors that, while knowledgeable in their fields, have absolutely no business teaching. I'm leaving the school with a high B average, and while I certainly know more about computers now then I did when I started my course, there are still many things that I don't know that I probably should, hence my current predicament.

Senshi wrote: »
Subtlety
I'll be honest, I have no fucking clue how Sublety rogues work. I guess they like shadows and shit, and you sort of have to be a douche to play one if you look at the talents. I mean, they're all troll talents. Shadowstep? More like LOLITROLLU, amirite? So yeah, Subtlety rogues: sneaky douchebags with ridiculous talents and rage-inducing abilities.
Sounds like the perfect PvP tree.

<3
JackRellik on

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ethernet over power. if that 'router' isn't a cable modem/dsl with built-in wifi and it's doing that i'd be gobsmacked. if it is just the modem you might consider giving them a real router.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    WiFi speeds are sufficient for gaming. The home's internet connection is going to be significantly slower than the WiFi connection at any rate, unless you're running 50Mbps FiOS or something crazy like that.

Daedalus on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »
    WiFi speeds are sufficient for gaming. The home's internet connection is going to be significantly slower than the WiFi connection at any rate, unless you're running 50Mbps FiOS or something crazy like that.

Bearing in mind though that wi-fi can be unreliable for gaming. Microwave ovens etc.

electricitylikesme on