As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Statutory [Rap]

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did anyone here jam Wale's new mixtape? I heard it was kind of forgettable, but I've heard one song off it and...well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf33FD6SdpE

it's really fucking good

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New Nicki Minaj single. Hot!
    Right Thru Me

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FLvOLL_aQ

Kanye just keeps them coming. those beats, man...

pyromaniac221 on
  • ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thug Motivation 103 will never be released. :(

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's Dizzee Rascal making Shakira's new song listenable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KewfYKJy8YU

1:05 (and a small bit at 2:14)

adytum on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

UMG pulled your link.

TL DR on
    edited October 2010
    pyromaniac221 on
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Here's Dizzee Rascal making Shakira's new song listenable

1:05 (and a small bit at 2:14)

Speaking of Dizzee, this beat amuses me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGktXoAmeHY

From last week's free follow up mixtape: http://grimealbum.blogspot.com/2010/10/griminal-grimsom-2_11.html (DL Links)

desc on
    edited October 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJgqYuobri8

and they just keep coming.

pyromaniac221 on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lupe's latest single off of Lasers is "The Show Goes On"

I admit I'm a huge Lupe fan, though I definitely didn't appreciate the bullshit that went on with the release of Lasers. I may have came halfway through my first listen, March 8th, 2011 can't get here quick enough.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
    edited November 2010
    desc on
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Julius on
    edited November 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkIoJZdKIAE

Most of you have probably seen this, but it bears posting.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    De La Soul - Oooh

This remains one of my favourite anything ever. It is a shame though that De La Soul's stuff is generally impossible to find on the internet, including the itunes store and youtube. And until recently Spotify.

This song in particular I haven't found anywhere I've looked.

Whatever publisher they have must really hate intelligent distribution.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    I've been listening to 2001 again. And again and again.

What's the difference between me and you?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Kanye is getting my money on Nov. 22nd, god damn

lordswing on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    love Conceited

yo, you a muff diver
    your bitch give me dome
    and you sit at home
    like an umpire

Organichu on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    So should we talk about Girl Talk in here or what

new thread for Mr Gillis maybe?

Fartacus on
  • taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    So should we talk about Girl Talk in here or what

new thread for Mr Gillis maybe?

Girl Talk counts, right? I think so probably.

I think this album isn't quite as good as the previous two but damn if it isn't fun to listen to.

And my opinion might change the fifth or sixth time I listen to it through. "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" over "Creep" is inspired imo.

taoist drunk on
    edited November 2010
    Personally I love the Miley Cyrus and M.O.P. mashup.

But yeah, it's very different from Feed The Animals. I think in a thematic way it's more similar to Night Ripper -- Feed the Animals was unique in that Gillis took the format of the mashup and used it to create something that you experienced as an entirely new, original song. He made it completely his own art. It obscured the process, the technique of mashing up behind the more cohesive and stand-alone appeal of the tracks he built on that album. Whereas Night Ripper is an album that more transparently states "I am sampling" although because it was rougher, glitchier, and generally displayed more of the tics and techniques of a DJ.

Whereas on the other hand, All Day is understated, polished, and smooth, but ultimately the same thing happens. Because he lingers so much longer on his mashups, and perhaps actually because of their simplicity and polished grace (I think many, if not most of the mashups on All Day are skillful beyond what anyone else out there has demonstrated an ability to do), again the transparency of "I am doing mashups" is more prominently on display. Instead of a cohesive album that manages to feel like something completely different from its constituent parts, All Day seems more like a series of exceptional but unrelated mashups, that happen to be thrown together on an album.

Where Feed The Animals had Greg Gillis songs, which just happened to be performed using samples, All Day seems more like Greg Gillis mashups -- someone else's music, skillfully recontextualized, but not wholly formed into a new entity. I've never seen his live shows, but it reminds me more of what you would hear a DJ do in a live setting than what can be afforded when creating an album from whole cloth.

I'm not sure there's anything necessarily worse or better about this, but that's my take on it. And I will say the individual mashups are some of the most exceptional I've ever heard. The pairings he does, while more along the standard white-song/black-song backing/vocals format, are really pretty phenomenal. I guess All Day feels to me like I left Hype Machine on shuffle for 70 minutes, except each track is slightly shorter and produced with a much higher degree of skill.

Fartacus on
  • taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Personally I love the Miley Cyrus and M.O.P. mashup.

But yeah, it's very different from Feed The Animals. I think in a thematic way it's more similar to Night Ripper -- Feed the Animals was unique in that Gillis took the format of the mashup and used it to create something that you experienced as an entirely new, original song. He made it completely his own art. It obscured the process, the technique of mashing up behind the more cohesive and stand-alone appeal of the tracks he built on that album. Whereas Night Ripper is an album that more transparently states "I am sampling" although because it was rougher, glitchier, and generally displayed more of the tics and techniques of a DJ.

Whereas on the other hand, All Day is understated, polished, and smooth, but ultimately the same thing happens. Because he lingers so much longer on his mashups, and perhaps actually because of their simplicity and polished grace (I think many, if not most of the mashups on All Day are skillful beyond what anyone else out there has demonstrated an ability to do), again the transparency of "I am doing mashups" is more prominently on display. Instead of a cohesive album that manages to feel like something completely different from its constituent parts, All Day seems more like a series of exceptional but unrelated mashups, that happen to be thrown together on an album.

Where Feed The Animals had Greg Gillis songs, which just happened to be performed using samples, All Day seems more like Greg Gillis mashups -- someone else's music, skillfully recontextualized, but not wholly formed into a new entity. I've never seen his live shows, but it reminds me more of what you would hear a DJ do in a live setting than what can be afforded when creating an album from whole cloth.

I'm not sure there's anything necessarily worse or better about this, but that's my take on it. And I will say the individual mashups are some of the most exceptional I've ever heard. The pairings he does, while more along the standard white-song/black-song backing/vocals format, are really pretty phenomenal. I guess All Day feels to me like I left Hype Machine on shuffle for 70 minutes, except each track is slightly shorter and produced with a much higher degree of skill.

I feel like Feed The Animals had a higher level of virtuosity but that All Day is more understated, like you said, but the word that came to my mind is "intuitive," which I think go together when talking about mashups. I've never been to one of his live shows either, so I can't speak to your last point. I do think that the Hood Internet gives Girl Talk serious competition, but All Day feels both more fun, more intuitive, and more polished than Trillwave to me.

taoist drunk on
    edited November 2010
    So Pink Friday is really disappointing. I think the Pitchfork review sums it up pretty well actually, which is rare because their reviews are usually indecipherably referential.

I thought the guy actually had a good point -- a lot of the top 40 female artists out there right now have these interesting, outsize personas that are super fun, and then on record they revert back to really safe pop or R&B.

It's shame, because I really think she's got a tremendous amount of talent -- I mean if you hear her verse on "Monster," I don't think you can come to any other conclusion. And then she spends a lot of the time on this album singing run-of-the-mill R&B. And even when she raps, very little of it approaches the sort of ferocity, vulgarity, or fun of her best stuff. Oh well.

Fartacus on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You just summed up my thoughts on the matter very succinctly.

adytum on
    edited November 2010
    Still gotta listen to Rhi Rhi's new LP, despite the fact that the cover immortalizes that awful fucking red hair thing she's doing right now.

At least she got those edges under control in time for the AMAs. That shit was ridiculous.

Fartacus on
    edited November 2010
    New Kanye is incredible.

Also catching up on a bunch of old Clipse. Really happy Pusha T is on G.O.O.D. Music. Kanye's building up one hell of a label

pyromaniac221 on
    edited November 2010
    New Kanye is incredible.

Also catching up on a bunch of old Clipse. Really happy Pusha T is on G.O.O.D. Music. Kanye's building up one hell of a label

yeah he really is

and MBTDF truly does deserve all the praise it's getting

Fartacus on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have gone through the new Yeezy a couple of times today, shit is hot.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So Pink Friday is really disappointing. I think the Pitchfork review sums it up pretty well actually, which is rare because their reviews are usually indecipherably referential.

I thought the guy actually had a good point -- a lot of the top 40 female artists out there right now have these interesting, outsize personas that are super fun, and then on record they revert back to really safe pop or R&B.

It's shame, because I really think she's got a tremendous amount of talent -- I mean if you hear her verse on "Monster," I don't think you can come to any other conclusion. And then she spends a lot of the time on this album singing run-of-the-mill R&B. And even when she raps, very little of it approaches the sort of ferocity, vulgarity, or fun of her best stuff. Oh well.

Definitely agree with you/p4k here. When she's on someone else's track (like Monster, holy shit) she tends to upstage everyone.

pots+pans on
    edited November 2010

Stolen from an SA poster, but apparently Kanye spent 2 days writing Nicki's verse, but no source given.

And I am a filthy liar, as I did not pick up MBDTF at Target, because I saw it lacked a hard CD case. I'm hoping the deluxe edition comes with a hard case damn it, I don't like my shit getting bent or torn

/OCD

lordswing on
    edited November 2010
    You guys weren't kidding about the new Kanye.

Also, how 'bout Raekwon's verse on "Gorgeous" same release week as Lloyd Banks' album which closes with a Banks / Raekwon duet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuO4h_N9Lu8

desc on
    edited November 2010
    Raekwon's verse with the beat switch is just ridiculous.

pyromaniac221 on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Have gone through the new Yeezy a couple hundred of times this week, shit is hot.

projectmayhem on
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    Listening to Kanye's new album right now, its pretty enjoyable so far.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Apolloh wrote: »
    Listening to Kanye's new album right now, its pretty enjoyable so far.

it got me to go back and listen to kanye's old shit. I'm still of the opinion that dude is merely a decent rapper, but goddamn is he a great music maker. some of his shit is just jaw dropping.

nikki is good on roman's revenge and monster. I can take her or leave her on other shit. if she actually writes her own bars, she's got some talent :^: and could actually be entertaining

man lord lord lord from the good friday releases gets better and better as I listen to it. mos def's verse to start it off is crazy nice

valiance on
    edited December 2010
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    GZA - Pencil

This isn't a new song, but I just found it a couple weeks ago. It's pretty nice me thinks.

For civilized people: http://open.spotify.com/track/1f7BxIpAQGU2X4bBj8p2cY

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • PocketmofoPocketmofo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have to echo the sentiments about the new Kanye album. He is a decent rapper but man can he put a mean track together.

Also, I haven't seen the following rappers mentioned in the list (I haven't gone back through the 80+ pages though so I could have just missed them):

Midaz the Beast (The El Midaz Affair, Grizzly Adams, etc. some of which is free or basically free on his site)

Shad (I have been enjoying TSOL since I picked it up)

Rah Digga (after nearly 10 years of no album I must admit Classic is pretty solid)

Pocketmofo on
    edited December 2010
    RAH FUCKIN DIGGA

Pocketmofo you are a man who knows about life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwEwjY6Bg4

desc on