As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shotgun as gift

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to get my girlfriend a shotgun for turkey hunting as a gift for Christmas. I'm pretty sure I can find out which model she's had her eye on. Sales of firearms in Virginia require a standard background check, etc. Is there anything else I need to do to give a shotgun to someone as a gift?

(Yes, I will probably also buy safety lessons.)

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You should give her a gun rack before the gun to see if she uses the Wayne's World quote on you. That would be the best outcome.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_va.htm

That says you don't need to have a permit, license or registration so it sounds like you just need to do the background check.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    Vera12Vera12 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A cleaning kit and some extra shells would probably be appreciated.

Vera12 on
    Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gun bag or case, preferably lockable, for transporting it.

Also a space in your cabinet/gunlocker to securely store it.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Im like, 99.999% sure that for private firearms transactions, you dont need to do any sort of BG check. Now buying a gun as a gift can be a shady area.

If you buy a weapon on behalf of someone who legally cant, and they give you the money for it, its a straw purchase, and you go to jail if caught.

If you buy a weapon as a gift for someone who you later find out cant buy one, you probably wont get to jail cause it'd be pretty hard to get caught but you dun goofed.

If you're sure your girlfriend has never comitted a felony/domestic assault, you should be pretty good.

ATF publication, Page 165, section 15.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    im pretty sure he knows whether his friend is a convicted felon. otherwise shotguns dont require registration, Background check or transfer paper work.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wouldn't get her the gun, but rather the rack, trigger lock, and cleaning kit. The gun itself is something she should pick out, after spending a lot of time with different models to find the one she finds most comfortable.

Obviously she should spend some range-time with every gun, ideally, before purchasing.

Robman on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    im pretty sure he knows whether his friend is a convicted felon. otherwise shotguns dont require registration, Background check or transfer paper work.

You'd be surprised, at least judging by my past experiences... :?

Robman has a good point in that unless you're going to buy a firearm at Walmart, it'll probably be an expensive-enough purchase that involving her in the selection is probably a good idea. You don't want to accidentally pick something that's balanced weirdly or has a stock that's either too-long or too-short for her stance. I don't think that means you can't buy it for her, just take her someplace she can handle a couple different firearms so you're confident that you're getting her something she'll feel comfortable firing.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SammyF wrote: »
    Robman has a good point in that unless you're going to buy a firearm at Walmart, it'll probably be an expensive-enough purchase that involving her in the selection is probably a good idea. You don't want to accidentally pick something that's balanced weirdly or has a stock that's either too-long or too-short for her stance. I don't think that means you can't buy it for her, just take her someplace she can handle a couple different firearms so you're confident that you're getting her something she'll feel comfortable firing.

This so much. Stock fit makes a difference for shotgun clay games.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Im like, 99.999% sure that for private firearms transactions, you dont need to do any sort of BG check. Now buying a gun as a gift can be a shady area.

If you buy a weapon on behalf of someone who legally cant, and they give you the money for it, its a straw purchase, and you go to jail if caught.

If you buy a weapon as a gift for someone who you later find out cant buy one, you probably wont get to jail cause it'd be pretty hard to get caught but you dun goofed.

If you're sure your girlfriend has never comitted a felony/domestic assault, you should be pretty good.

ATF publication, Page 165, section 15.

Thanks for the clarification regarding straw purchases. My previous post was based on my own experience, nice to know that once again the gun store guys don't know the laws.

Backstop on