As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

King of Fighters. The Movie! Now with less Uwe Boll

ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
From

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=Cannes2007&jump=story&id=1061&articleid=VR1117965243&cs=1
Chan takes on 'King of Fighters'
Pic will shoot next year

CANNES -- Hong Kong action director Gordon Chan ("The Medallion," "Fist of Legend") is to direct an English-language, live-action adaptation of best-selling videogame "King of Fighters." Pic will lense in Asia in first quarter of 2008.

Pic will be jointly financed by Japanese production and rights management group Micott & Basara and Australian-U.S. sales agent Arclight/Easternlight.
Concept is owned by SNK Playmore group and been released as 30 arcade, computer and home console games since franchise was launched 21 years ago. Screenplay is being written by "Fearless" scripter Chris Chow. Production is by Axis Entertainment's Joseph Chou (currently producing upcoming "Appleseed: Ex Machina") and Tim Kwok of L.A.-based Convergence Entertainment ("Wicked City".)

I think that Fatal Fury would have been a better choice for a movie made form an SNK game. It would have less characters to manage and a fairly decent story that could be adapted to movie form. King of fighters has too many characters (I think they broke over 100 characters in the series already. there is no way they will be able to develop anyone outside of Kyo and Iori enough for us to care what happens to them. Also some big "stars" from King of fighters such as Terry and Ryo will be completely over shadowed. And I already see Mai Filing int he T&A roll even more than she does now.

So in conclusion this could either be as "good" as the Mortal Kombat movie or as bad as the Street Fighter movie.

Artoria on

• HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh snap.... I cannot wait.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Badass, so long as they do the KOF 95-97 arc. Best fighting game story of all time.

TheSonicRetard on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007
    Ugh. They made a brief KoF OVA series a year or two ago that was pretty yet totally void of a soul, plot or sense. I think it's time to let KoF die, or finally get around to the 5 year overdue reimagining of the engine.

Aroduc on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is going to suck soo bad.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hrm, hopefully they have the psychic/fire type of attacks. Mai will probably be the T&A, but I'll hold out for hope that Athena and Miu make it in even just as quick cameos.

Also, I don't think the characters will be too much of an issue. Of course they won't flesh out more than 2-5, but that doesn't mean we might not see something like the Quest, where you have your main fighters featured, and then constant challengers coming and going as they win/lose fights in minute long fight scenes.

Edit: So hopefully even if my favourite fighters aren't focused on, I hope I get to see them still.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This could be so awesome, but it'll be pretty crap instead. That's my pessimistic estimate.

'94 and '95 are so story-light (even by usual standards) that you could probably merge them or make them a brief opener: Rugal gets his ass handed to him on a plate by Goenitz (that's how he lost his eye) and it's essentially just KoF '96 with a prologue.

The biggest problem? If the first tournaments were hosted by a soon-to-be-cyborg-demigod who dips the people he beats in molten fucking silver, who'd be mad enough to go to the next one? And let's face it, I want to see Rugal.* So forget all that jumping straight to '96 crap I just spouted.

*This does not mean 5' 4'' and dark haired, goddammit. They better get it right when it comes to casting.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mai Shiranui.

That is all.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They could be awesome and based this on the canonical first King of Fighters tournaments and their associated characters (meaning it would be based on the first two Art of Fighting and first three Fatal Fury games) but this'll definitely be some K'/Kula/Iori/Kyo focused nonsense.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
    edited May 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    They could be awesome and based this on the canonical first King of Fighters tournaments and their associated characters (meaning it would be based on the first two Art of Fighting and first three Fatal Fury games) but this'll definitely be some K'/Kula/Iori/Kyo focused nonsense.

A movie based on the Orochi arc would be amazing. There is an awesome story in there just waiting to be told.

TheSonicRetard on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Badass, so long as they do the KOF 95-97 arc. Best fighting game story of all time.

If they do the NESTS arc then it will make no sense.

BiggNife on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's hoping it's the KOF tournament from Fatal Fury, with Ray Park as Billy Kane and someone decent playing Geese. Maybe they could get the people who directed Street Fighter: The Movie.
    OK, maybe not that last part...

Kreutz on
    edited May 2007

A movie based on the Orochi arc would be amazing. There is an awesome story in there just waiting to be told.

There is but if they do the Orochi arc it will just be about Kyo and Iori's feelings and not Saishu being brainwashed or Leona being awesome or Geese being an arrogant jerk or anything else that makes King of Fighters awesome.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As long as I can see a good, flashy "ARE YOU OKAY!!!???" with a huge over-the-top explosion I will be happy with this.

DuskTwilight on
    edited May 2007

There is but if they do the Orochi arc it will just be about Kyo and Iori's feelings and not Saishu being brainwashed or Leona being awesome or Geese being an arrogant jerk or anything else that makes King of Fighters awesome.

Hrrrm.

Yeah, okay, in an ideal world, you'd hit the Fatal Fury series up first to establish the setting/characters, then move onto the territory covered in the actual KoF titles.

The fact that the Orochi power was craved by goddamn everyone ties things together nicely. Heh. I think Geese would wipe the floor with the planet if he'd ever actually got it.

But NESTS was just... lacklustre. I kinda hoped it would be something to do with Rugal and the cyborg implants he designed that could tap the ambient Orochi power, but... no. It was just some random clone conspiracy with a completely unrelated cartel.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Ugh. They made a brief KoF OVA series a year or two ago that was pretty yet totally void of a soul, plot or sense. I think it's time to let KoF die, or finally get around to the 5 year overdue reimagining of the engine.

No, you die. In a fire.
    kyohandcp9.gif

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007

Well, KOF XII is going to have new sprites, which is good enough for me.

BiggNife on
    edited May 2007

No, you die. In a fire. kyohandcp9.gif

Probably my favorite intro to a fighting game ever. That song is forever burned into my mind.

"It all began in 94.
    Kept on rolling in 95.
    Pieces fell in place in '96.
    It came to an end in '97.
    Now it comes and here we go,
    The K O F is here again.
    Nothing's gonna stop us it's 1998!"

TheSonicRetard on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They must get William Regal to play Geese.

521871_44fc806ec6_m.jpg !!

But, anyway, since it's King of Fighters, you can be pretty much certain that it'll focus on Kyo/Iori, and would logically involve the Orochi saga. Unless they make up their own story, of course.

Really, I find it hard to believe that this will be anything more than a Kyo/Iori fest with several cameos involved. Hell, Leona should have a pretty significant role anyway.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited May 2007
    I like the Megadriver cover of Esaka. That's my favorite KoF song.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007
    KOF 94 also had an awesome remix of "Psycho Soldier" when you fought against Athena.

Man, KOF had some great music. I wanna get a Neo Geo CD just so I can hear the full remixed version.

TheSonicRetard on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, KOF had some great music. I wanna get a Neo Geo CD just so I can hear the full remixed version.

Yeah, it does. It's primarily what got me into game music.

But anyway, they are currently re-releasing all the KoF games for PS2 featuring the arranged music along with the original. As you know, '94 ReBout was released quite a while ago (I think it had arranged music), they recently released the NESTS collection in Japan, and they did the Orochi collection last year - the next project is a remixed version of '98 that includes the '96 boss team among other things.

Though whether or not they ever get out of Japan remains to be seen (probably not though)

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited May 2007
    I played KOF 94 recently, and it seemed to me that the AI was ridiculously cheap. More so than in 98.

BiggNife on
    edited May 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »
    I played KOF 94 recently, and it seemed to me that the AI was ridiculously cheap. More so than in 98.

When I bought my Neo Geo AES, I got KOF 94, Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury 2 Special, and Samurai Shodown 2. KOF94 was easily the toughest game that came with my AES.

I have KOF 98 now and I can confirm that, yes, KOF 94's AI is way cheaper than KOF 98's.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited May 2007
    94's AI was borderline psychic. It cheated like hell, basically.

They'd better introduce Leona and Yamazaki (I guess Iori is a given) at some point: then they can get all LOL MELODRAMA and they realise they're Orochis. They might even be able to treat it like a plot twist.

Not that Yamazaki gives a flying fuck what Gaia's servant requests. He's that badass.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This had better get one huge ensemble cast.

And Rugal.

Eh, I'm not optimistic. I think this could turn out to be more DoA and less Mortal Kombat.

I'm surprised they're using KoF, so maybe that's a good start.
    (A Last Blade adapation'd be beautiful.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »

Yeah, it does. It's primarily what got me into game music.

But anyway, they are currently re-releasing all the KoF games for PS2 featuring the arranged music along with the original. As you know, '94 ReBout was released quite a while ago (I think it had arranged music), they recently released the NESTS collection in Japan, and they did the Orochi collection last year - the next project is a remixed version of '98 that includes the '96 boss team among other things.

Though whether or not they ever get out of Japan remains to be seen (probably not though)

I'm still pissed that Samurai Shodown 5 (which kinda sucked) made it to Xbox in the US, yet the PS2-only SS6 (which I've heard is awesome) never did. Same with KOF XI. SNK Playmore has a weird philosophy when it comes to releasing their games in the US. One time I emailed them asking about KOF XI and they never even responded.

BiggNife on
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Movies based on video games generally do not do well in the film world. I have no idea how many exceptions of these exist but it I'm sure they are too few.

Damn.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
    edited May 2007
    I really don't think you can have King of Fighters without Terry.

Edit: In fact I'm not sure SNK would allow it...

ViolentChemistry on
  • notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

No, because those OVA is like little 5 minute promos for their new games, not actual movies.

notagame on
  • DracknorDracknor Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    I think there is hope for this seeing as its a Hong Kong director and not a an american one. Gordon Chan is a pretty good director I doubt this will be a great movie but it could be pretty good at the very least it should be entertaing to watch.

Dracknor on
    edited May 2007
    notagame wrote: »

No, because those OVA is like little 5 minute promos for their new games, not actual movies.

And for what they were, they were totally worth Free DVD acquisistion. Promo shit is great.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007
    Dracknor wrote: »
    I think there is hope for this seeing as its a Hong Kong director and not a an american one. Gordon Chan is a pretty good director I doubt this will be a great movie but it could be pretty good at the very least it should be entertaing to watch.

Hong Kong is historically pretty good at rivalries. If they just pick a rivalry to focus on and then put a bunch of fights with other characters and some conversation in between it'll be better than Mortal Kombat.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

The fact that the Orochi power was craved by goddamn everyone ties things together nicely. Heh. I think Geese would wipe the floor with the planet if he'd ever actually got it.

Pish tosh. "Looks like the Orochi power wasn't anything worth writing home about after all." ~Geese Howard (King of Fighters '96). Geese is so badass the sum totality of the Orochi is just some silly joke to him. That was actually the story reason for him sending Billy Kane in his place to King of Fighters '97, boredom (he gets invited every year that he's been alive and the tournament has happened). :D

Of course this is all assuming this movie actually happens. A live action King of Fighters movie starring Andy Lau was announced in the early 2000s but nothing came of it.

Man I have so many SNK music cds. They do the best game music ever, I don't care what anyone says.

Neo Rasa on
  • notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

Pish tosh. "Looks like the Orochi power wasn't anything worth writing home about after all." ~Geese Howard (King of Fighters '96). Geese is so badass the sum totality of the Orochi is just some silly joke to him. That was actually the story reason for him sending Billy Kane in his place to King of Fighters '97, boredom (he gets invited every year that he's been alive and the tournament has happened). :D

Of course this is all assuming this movie actually happens. A live action King of Fighters movie starring Andy Lau was announced in the early 2000s but nothing came of it.

Man I have so many SNK music cds. They do the best game music ever, I don't care what anyone says.

That's a pretty weak reason seeing as how Orochi would absolutely whoop his ass.

I think they will do it based on KOF 97, it's one of the best stories ever. I recall reading some awesome Hong Kong comic based on KOF 97,
    right before Orochi was resurrected, there were a bunch of big brawls where the good guys fight the few bosses. If I remember correctly, Orochi Yashiro beat up Daimon one on one, then got gang banged by Billy Kane, Kensou, and Chizuru Kagura. Blue Mary and a few others ganged up on Orochi Shermie and took her down. Kyo was totally trashed by blood riot Iori before, but came back in time and beat up Orochi Chris. Then Orochi was resurrected and set up a final stage to fight against Kyo, Iori, and Chizuru. Kyo had to do it alone at first, then Chizuru joined and finally Iori joined as well (using lame excuses like "I can't let him kill you because I am the one who is going to kill you muahahhahaha.")

The KOF 97 story is the most epic of them all. They can open up with a quick summary of what happened in KOF 96, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Kyo and Iori will obviously be the main characters, their rivalry and then their reluctant alliance in the end will be a good story to play on.

notagame on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Focusing on Kyo and Iori is fine as long as they have like a half-dozen other semi-developed characters. That have to fight them before they'll help them out. Then at the end it's like Pryde of the X-Men, with Terry, Ryo, etc. all peeling off to fight a certain badguy (Yamazaki, Mr. Big) that's in the way of them getting to Rugal/Orochi for the big fight.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    it's hard to be optimistic about this.

but gods, i so want it to be good.

Ketherial on
    edited May 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Focusing on Kyo and Iori is fine as long as they have like a half-dozen other semi-developed characters. That have to fight them before they'll help them out. Then at the end it's like Pryde of the X-Men, with Terry, Ryo, etc. all peeling off to fight a certain badguy (Yamazaki, Mr. Big) that's in the way of them getting to Rugal/Orochi for the big fight.

Yes, that would be the best.

ViolentChemistry on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    IIRC correctly part of the downfall of Street Fighter was that Capcom wanted EVERY character to have some screen time/speaking roles. The original script only focused on a few characters. DOA and MK learned from this (DOA did have every chracter from the games, but they only focused on the main girls).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    notagame wrote: »
    That's a pretty weak reason seeing as how Orochi would absolutely whoop his ass.

Why would Geese lie? If Orochi had any power worth using Geese would be there. I don't mean that to detract from the God-like powers Orochi weilds, people just have to learn to deal with the fact that it's not as powerful as Geese Howard. ;)

Neo Rasa on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    William Regal as Geese = fucking win

Seriously though, I can see some fusion of the KOFs focused around the Orochi storyline. That way you can include Ryo and Terry (ARE YOU OKAY?!) and have them peel off to fight Mr. Big and Geese respectively, have those fights be badass as hell, then blow them out of the water with the Orochi fight.

Seriously, a KoF movie could be SO GOOD. Hell, I loved the Fatal Fury OVAs. Honestly though, the world could do with some more Terry Bogard. He's the almost forgotten hero of the 2D fighting genre. Were there any justice, he'd be just as well known as Ryu.

Also, fuck SNK fans for hating Andy Bogard. Andy was awesome and I'm sad he hasn't been in anything in forever.

LibrarianThorne on