As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Actually, when I upgraded from an 8800 to a 480, my performance in this game died a horrible death. Fire, brimstone, all that.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are they going to come out with an expansion or a sequel for this game any time soon?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well... I may start a new game on Easy....

no... NO! I need to finish FFXII...

urahonky on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was gonna lets play the game, I was preparing for it and everything. But my computer can barely handle recording. That bloodtox vid I posted was mostly played at 15fps.

I was so bummed out.

Mind you that tells you how automatic most of the combat gets once you figure out the movement. Enemies can't track you when you move at top speed, as evidenced by the sheer number of close misses that occur in that video. That happens all the time, it's completely normal, and the game is designed intentionally for that to occur. It's not an accident.
    There's a help text to this effect stating the same thing even. That enemies can't track you when you move fast enough.
    So none of that avoiding was reflexes and it was all similar to the parkour thing of finding the correct line when you move. I was placing Alex in the right place ahead of time and it all comes together.

Anyone thinking of replaying this I urge you to check out these two little guides. This first one is mostly for post game trash killing, but the last half has a very useful tip about the air tendril devastator that is useful from the moment you get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peYRa4givCM

This one has a wall movement I really recommend everyone learn in the second half (the first thing is a fluff movement mostly for fun, but it's useful for getting certain orbs precisely).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBUWGci4Zx4

It's the wall jump dash straight up you want to learn because you know how you are running up a wall and tanks/helicopters/rockets peg you? Yeah when you do this movement they peg the wall ten storeys below you instead....once again, they can't keep up.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Are they going to come out with an expansion or a sequel for this game any time soon?

Sequel, that's why we started talking about it again.

Dragkonias on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want information about the movement system.

I don't give a damn about anything else.

I hope they code in a bunch of cheats this time too.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alex Mercer's most terrifying form.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got this game on discount awhile back and forgot about it. My GF's kid fired it up, looks fun as hell! Can't wait to get into it

Tommatt on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So it looks as though you actually won't be playing Alex Mercer in Prototype 2, but some mutated army dude who wants revenge on him. A novel concept, I have to say. They didn't show much gameplay, but explosions are confirmed.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqZynPb5nU

Pretty clever way to continue the story. But fighting Mercer? That'll be the boss fight of the fucking millennium.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nice.

I think the only thing I don't like about that trailer is that it's telling me that I'm going to have to wait until 2012 to play this. :(

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    loved the trailer

can't wait 2 years

Sweeney Tom on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ooh, I like.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd really like it if you played as both of them, perspective constantly shifting throughout the story.

Warcry on
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, I like this new guy.

CaptainNemo on
    edited December 2010
    I'm just glad the Alex Mercer I'm fighting wont be played by me.

And because he wont be played by me I'm going to mess him up so bad oh yeah.

Morninglord on
    edited December 2010
    I'll throw a rock at him.

A big rock.

With my muscle arms.

CaptainNemo on
    edited December 2010
    Can you imagine fighting a Mercer that uses his movement abilities properly?

Morninglord on
    edited December 2010
    I want a city wide fight, just Mercer and Heller beating the shit out of each other with whatever they can find, shapeshifiting on the fly, and fighting while running up the side of the ESB.

Then I will finally forgive Bobby Kotick.

CaptainNemo on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am so pumped for this.

Prototype was so fun and I have such fond memories of playing it last winter, having just moved into my new place.

Apothe0sis on
    edited December 2010
    oh god

what if the game looks at your saved files from Prototype

sees how you played

then has Mercer play the way you played him, only this time against you

Sweeney Tom on
    edited December 2010
    I want a city wide fight, just Mercer and Heller beating the shit out of each other with whatever they can find, shapeshifiting on the fly, and fighting while running up the side of the ESB.

i want this

only as the entire game

opening cutscene

leading into this

and this is the entire game

Sweeney Tom on
    edited December 2010
    That will be an easy boss fight since all I did was suck.

And I like the way you think. Suck it Team Ico, our game is just one big boss battle for twelve hours.

CaptainNemo on
    edited December 2010
    That will be an easy boss fight since all I did was suck.

And I like the way you think. Suck it Team Ico, our game is just one big boss battle for twelve hours.

fuck that

it goes on for 12 days

and that's only if you're playing it on Super Easy mode

Sweeney Tom on
    edited December 2010
    And then, just as the fight is about to end, PARIAH steals your kill.

CaptainNemo on
    edited December 2010
    and it starts all over again

repeat ad infinitum

Sweeney Tom on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm pretty excited.

It'll be interesting to be other the other side of Alex Mercer, though it still looks like you're wrecking the Army's shit too.

I'm sure Heller turns into an asshole that doesn't care who he's killing just like Mercer

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is good news. Assuming they take to heart the nitpicks about things like pointless events/side missions, and introduce really fun and unique side stuff, Prototype 2 will be a work of art.

I just reinstalled Prototype because of this announcement. I might new game + this thing, take advantage of having all the goodies unlocked and smash some shit.

Is it possible to change the difficulty when ng+'ing it? Or am I stuck in the middle? No real problem with that, but I kind of just want to wreck shit more than I already do, and set it to the lowest difficulty.

Between Just Cause 2, The Saboteur, and Prototype, my wreck-shit-ometer is flying off the chart. These are good years for sandbox games.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    edited December 2010
    oh god

what if the game looks at your saved files from Prototype

sees how you played

then has Mercer play the way you played him, only this time against you

this would be so sexy.

we would have such an epic fight.

sadly I doubt that's possible. what a nightmare to code.

Morninglord on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like how it looks like the graphics will be better. Cause Prototype didn't look so hot.

Delta Assault on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I forgot about accusing other people of being me, that was fun when I wanted their rocket launcher.

hehehe, I also forgot about the grenade launcher, slicing through the air and raining explosive hell on my enemies.

RoyceSraphim on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lots of people seem to be retroactively shitting on Prototype but I still think it was a fun game with fun powers

Not sure it was quite the equal of it's predecessor, but it was a fine effort

Should the sequel improve certain elements, they may yet surpass it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited December 2010
    The movement system shits all over Hulk.
    It is infinitely better.

You can go from not pressing any buttons on the controller, pick it up, press three buttons and end up a block away. You have so much control over your movement compared to hulk, he just feels so clunky.
    I could write a thesis on the movement system.

I try to go back and play hulk, I basically do the moves Prototype doesn't have, then get bored and go back to prototype.

However if you don't want complication/control in your movement system and just want to hold jump down and crash all over the place and your idea of fine control is tearing a car in half then throwing it at a plane, I can defnitely see why Hulk would be your favoured game.

Morninglord on
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's my favourite game of 2009. (And yes, liked it more than Infamous. Which I hate. Though for very opinional reasons)

Also I really liked the presentation of the narrative. More Games should do this and get creative how to present it.

Can't wait for 2.

C2B on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I'll be damned. I never thought this game would get a sequel. I loved Prototype and I hope that the developers take to heart the complaints regarding the crap sidequests and disjointed story. I also hope that the combat gets a good overhaul.

Silpheed on
    edited December 2010
    The movement system shits all over Hulk.
    It is infinitely better.

You can go from not pressing any buttons on the controller, pick it up, press three buttons and end up a block away. You have so much control over your movement compared to hulk, he just feels so clunky.
    I could write a thesis on the movement system.

I try to go back and play hulk, I basically do the moves Prototype doesn't have, then get bored and go back to prototype.

However if you don't want complication/control in your movement system and just want to hold jump down and crash all over the place and your idea of fine control is tearing a car in half then throwing it at a plane, I can defnitely see why Hulk would be your favoured game.

The movement system is better, I grant you

But when I play Prototype I really miss the improvised weapons

No car gloves, no rocket-skateboard bus, and especially no lamppost baseball bats

Think of all the fucked up things Alex Mercer could do to a human being with a twelve foot long piece of thick metal

Think of all the missed opportunities

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have to say that I'm a bit surprised that Prototype didn't allow you to use a lamppost as an improvised baseballbat. I mean, in games with a superpowered protagonist it's practically a standard.

Silpheed on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    2012? Honestly im shocked it would take another full year to make a sequel when the trailer looked like it could be dlc for the first one. No new environments, a new skin for mercer (which is funny because that's the point if 1!), moves looked exactly the same.

I liked the first one and don't mean to shit all over this, that was just a really, really poor trailer and I was stunned how at away the game is.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, I'm guessing the reason it is going to take a year or so is because they're going to be working on those things.

Heck, personally, I'm surprised that Activision is giving them that long to work on it the way they've been lately.

Dragkonias on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I'm surprised that shit ain't comin' out in a few months, really

But I don't know if Prototype lit the sales charts on fire, either

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg