As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: New Thread

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SotG preshow is amazing.

Everyone should be listening.

3cl1ps3 on
  • DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My last tourney games:

drag v kedinik
    repimg-33-171735.jpg

repimg-33-171736.jpg
    nogame3

drag v meeks
    repimg-33-171737.jpg

repimg-33-171738.jpg
    no game 3 DRAG IS THE CHAMPION DRAG.137

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So what are the options to stop mass void rays again? It's pretty scary when I see it on 4 vs 4. Vikings and marines are good options for Terran... but what can a Zerg to vs mass VR? Hydras doesn't have the same mobility, and Corruptors can't beat them anymore... and you can't fungal growth them anymore either.

What about Protoss's options? After you hit a critical mass blink stalkers just doesn't do the job anymore. Storm won't do it either when people who mass VR got armor upgrade. Phoenix does crap and Carriers won't work...
    Against 40+ void rays you will not win with any combination of zerg units post-patch. For now you can obliterate them with fungal and possibly some hydras, of course.

Protoss are almost as badly hosed--the archon toilet bowl will work, and if he's very sloppy you might get some mileage out of psi storm, but generally you're doomed vs. that many void rays.

Terran has a few more options--Thors will work, and without VR speed (which was removed in the patch) microed vikings will probably do as well. You need a lot of Thors, though--you'll get one volley before they're vaporized. HSM might be worth a shot, and if you're truly desperate (or inControl) you can try to get lucky with a nuke.

CycloneRanger on
  • SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Blink stalkers counter mass VRs perfectly well, I've done it many times. The only way you can lose is if they're way ahead on upgrades or if they're all clumped up and you're marching in and getting destroyed line by line; really gotta blink under them.

Sensational on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If the Protoss has 40 Void Rays you should be just throw waves of Mutalisks at them until they break, especially now that flux vanes is being removed.

3cl1ps3 on
  • LordaenLordaen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought that Mutas worked fairly well against Voids. Is that not the case?

Lordaen on
    edited December 2010
    Also we should incorporate O Fortuna into the next Rumble somehow. Because that song is made of epic and win.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    I would say combinations of units. Hydras and corruptors together for zerg, and phoenixes with stalkers for protoss. If the guy is bringing out mass numbers of void rays, you should be able to get out a mixed army to deal with them.

And static defenses. Spore crawlers and photon cannons at your mineral lines.

corruptors are a bad choice. Voids get bonus damage, corruptors don't. Better off with mutas

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Also we should incorporate O Fortuna into the next Rumble somehow. Because that song is made of epic and win.

I like using more obscure songs.

If I gave you the full versions of the music I used for the videos,you'd cream yourself :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Blink stalkers counter mass VRs perfectly well, I've done it many times. The only way you can lose is if they're way ahead on upgrades or if they're all clumped up and you're marching in and getting destroyed line by line; really gotta blink under them.
    Even with a perfect blink, you'll still lose against mass VRs. One VR is close to even with two stalkers (and with larger numbers the stalkers start to overkill, favoring VRs). With 40-50 VRs you can kill 80-100 stalkers in a straight-up fight, which represents an unrealistic food total in stalkers, anyway. Moreover, VRs gain more from upgrades than stalkers do.

I've seen it a couple times in FFAs (esp. during that Funday Monday challenge when I couldn't make any sort of attack against the guy amassing VRs until I hunted down the other fool's last hidden hatchery). True mass VRs (not 1v1 mass VRs, which is maybe 8 or so) is one of the most powerful (and expensive) army compositions in the game.

It's also completely retarded.

CycloneRanger on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Corruptors are basically dead even versus Void Rays if you dump similar resources into your fleets, they're better for VR hunting than mutas.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited December 2010
    JP just did the most abrupt music switch ever.

O Fortuna into Y'all Ready for This?

3cl1ps3 on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    where are you guys listening in to SotG live?

Guek on
    edited December 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    Corruptors are basically dead even versus Void Rays if you dump similar resources into your fleets, they're better for VR hunting than mutas.
    Not with larger numbers.

The thing about VRs is that they never overkill--the beam is instant. The most damage that can possibly be wasted is between 9 and 12 depending on upgrades and armor (and it's lower vs. non-armored targets).

Meanwhile each volley of corruptor spores probably has a huge chunk of those shots landing on the 1-3 voids that happen to be just slightly ahead of the pack, wasting most of the damage.

Again, none of this matters in 1v1 (because you'll never see numbers like that) or even in most team games/ffas, but when it does happen you need either multiple waves of units or some kind of AoE weapon.

CycloneRanger on
    edited December 2010
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    where are you guys listening in to SotG live?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/state-of-the-game

Anzekay on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guek on
    edited December 2010
    iNcontroL mentioning Rumble in the Bronze ftw.

3cl1ps3 on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Boxer apologised to Idra about the Grack thing?

Anzekay on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

what? you mean rumble in the bronx?

for children.. children... oh what the fuck is it

Feels Good Man on
    edited December 2010

what? you mean rumble in the bronx?

for children.. children... oh what the fuck is it

Haha

Incontrol cares about nothing cause he has HUGE ARMS.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Holy crap iNcontroL's dubai story.

Jesus christ.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2010
    Not with larger numbers.

The thing about VRs is that they never overkill--the beam is instant. The most damage that can possibly be wasted is between 9 and 12 depending on upgrades and armor (and it's lower vs. non-armored targets).

Meanwhile each volley of corruptor spores probably has a huge chunk of those shots landing on the 1-3 voids that happen to be just slightly ahead of the pack, wasting most of the damage.

Again, none of this matters in 1v1 (because you'll never see numbers like that) or even in most team games/ffas, but when it does happen you need either multiple waves of units or some kind of AoE weapon.

I'm certain that someone on this board tested 20+ void rays versus their value in corruptors and that corruptors have a slight edge as the numbers climb. I believe it was Stiggy.

I think this test may have even occurred before the VR nerf in patch 1.2. Though he may have tested in response to the patch.

e: By the way, what did iNcontrol say about the Battle in the Bronze?

kedinik on
    edited December 2010
    He said he casted it and that it was fun.

That was it :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited December 2010
    whoo!

kedinik on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Even with a perfect blink, you'll still lose against mass VRs. One VR is close to even with two stalkers (and with larger numbers the stalkers start to overkill, favoring VRs). With 40-50 VRs you can kill 80-100 stalkers in a straight-up fight, which represents an unrealistic food total in stalkers, anyway. Moreover, VRs gain more from upgrades than stalkers do.

I've seen it a couple times in FFAs (esp. during that Funday Monday challenge when I couldn't make any sort of attack against the guy amassing VRs until I hunted down the other fool's last hidden hatchery). True mass VRs (not 1v1 mass VRs, which is maybe 8 or so) is one of the most powerful (and expensive) army compositions in the game.

It's also completely retarded.

Ironically, mass carriers is one of the few things that can beat mass void rays, depending on who has the upgrade advantage.

zerg rush on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    the cheese is the best

Is that the one where he shows up w/ zergling when the other guy has colossus?

That one's pretty sweet too =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlCzWZIIAfk"]The RUSH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKlrdxnZEjQ"]The CHEESE

Thanks for linking this =) I hadn't actually seen that "The Cheese" video. So awesome, I want to by Kylka when I grow up =)

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • LordaenLordaen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh god the flip flops again.

Lordaen on
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    iNcontroL. Simply masterful.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    edited December 2010
    Not with larger numbers.

I'm certain that someone on this board tested 20+ void rays versus their value in corruptors and that corruptors have a slight edge as the numbers climb. I believe it was Stiggy.

I think this test may have even occurred before the VR nerf in patch 1.2. Though he may have tested in response to the patch.

Stiggy and I did those tests, and I believe it was carriers vs. corruptors in which the corruptors won. I think corruptors did better than mutas, though, against VRs. It's possible I'm remembering this wrong.

Also, we only tested up to 100 food, I think. Might be worth doing again as the units have changed since then. Looking at the numbers:

Corruptors vs VRs:

Corruptors: 200 hp, 2 armor, 7.36 dps
    VR: 250 hp, 0 armor, 13.33 dps

They're very even in small numbers (a VR is just slightly less expensive than 1.5 corruptors), but with larger numbers the VRs' lack of overkill becomes a dominating advantage. Also, I've ignored the VRs charge here--in small groups the VRs will get charged up and claim an advantage over the corruptors. In huge masses they're unlikely to ever charge, but again, that lack of overkill makes up for it.

CycloneRanger on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Uncharged Void Rays do 180% as much damage as they did pre-1.2. VR vs Corruptors in huge numbers used to be good for VRs because they'd never get charged. But now, VRs will beat corruptors even when uncharged. And VRs just better against corruptors as you add more numbers to each side.

VRs will always beat equal food Corruptors. And the cost difference between them is so minor as to be negligible. VRs also benefit more from upgrades more than corruptors do.

zerg rush on
    edited December 2010
    This SotG is amazing.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited December 2010
    zerg rush wrote: »

Uncharged Void Rays do 180% as much damage as they did pre-1.2. VR vs Corruptors in huge numbers used to be good for VRs because they'd never get charged. But now, VRs will beat corruptors even when uncharged. And VRs just better against corruptors as you add more numbers to each side.

VRs will always beat equal food Corruptors. And the cost difference between them is so minor as to be negligible. VRs also benefit more from upgrades more than corruptors do.
    Minor nitpick--with VRs vs. Corruptors equal upgrades won't change the outcome. The VR gains more DPS from attack upgrades than the Corruptor, but it also loses more DPS from the Corruptor's armor upgrades. 3/3 VRs vs 3/3 Corruptors is identical to 0/0 VRs vs. 0/0 Corruptors (unless the VRs charge, in which case the upgrades *do* heavily favor them).

Someone massing VRs is likely to have an upgrade or two on someone reacting to them with Corruptors, though.

CycloneRanger on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    holy shit artosis is on

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    holy shit artosis is on

yeah it's day9, jp, incontrol, artosis, and idra

good group

tyler is a fucking jerk and is absent

Feels Good Man on
    edited December 2010
    I was curious so I played around with Void Rays vs Corruptors and/or Mutas, and yeah you're right DMR.

Equalized for gas 30 corruptors leave ~5 void rays alive out of 20. Equalized for gas mutalisks get thrashed, not even close.

Didn't try equalizing for minerals, since gas is much more commonly the limiting factor. Though if zerg has an extra base mining gas they could handle the VRs with mineral-equalized corruptor numbers.

Though now I'm thinking that with realistic numbers in a 1v1, corruptors might be able to use clumping and burst damage to kite void rays thanks to the loss of flux vanes. It's really a huge VR nerf, situational damage boost notwithstanding.

kedinik on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    holy shit artosis is on

yeah it's day9, jp, incontrol, artosis, and idra

good group

tyler is a fucking jerk and is absent

it's almost perfect, then

tyler is the best

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Unfortunately I won't be signing up for my signature first round loss this time around.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    edited December 2010
    I think Geoff just lost his cool on the stream.

Not hahah sarcastic rudeness, just shouting and swearing.

kedinik on
    edited December 2010
    Because IdrA and Artosis are just arguing by saying "No you're wrong you haven't done it you can't possibly be right your arguments suck." And then saying that his arguments are invalid because he's not in Korea.

Basically IdrA is arguing like a douche and Artosis is backing him up.

It's frustrating to argue against that.

3cl1ps3 on