As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WARMACHINE and HORDES (a.k.a. Warmahordes)

1575859606163»

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I did have a look at the battle college stuff for everblight and skorne, and I think they're my favorite choices right now. Everblight is fast, and I like their beasts, and their eyeless sight thing, but Skorne also appeals to me because while they are slow, they also seem really tough, with good melee ability.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    [tiny]Circle. Ciircleeeee[/tiny]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Legion hits hard and fast, but can't always take the punch back. Casters to look at might include the Thagroshes, Saeryn, Absylonia, and possibly Bethayne; warbeasts could include the Scythean, Carnivean, and Angelius (and perhaps Raeks and Nephalim Soldiers); units could probably include Warmongers/Warspears, Swordsmen/Legionaires, Hex Hunters, and Striders.

Circle doesn't hit quite as hard always, but can certainly get the job done, plus it has decent mobility. Legion tends to ignore a lot of Circle's tricks with flight and eyeless sight though. Casters to look at might be Kromac, eKaya, and Baldur; warbeasts include Feral Warpwolves and Warpwolf stalkers, the heavy wolds, the Gorax; units could include Bloodtrackers, Tharn, Skinwalkers, and probably druids for some balance.

If you like tough and durable, have you considered Trolls? That's kind of their thing, plus they do buffs far better than Skorne.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll be on vassal in 45 minutes from now looking for a game. I'd like to play a 35 point game, but 15 points is great too. I've got a new higlander list to try out.

kaorti on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Which one of the twins has the sword? If I did Legion, I'd have to do either her or one of the Thagrosh's.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That would be Rhyas. I'd recommend the Thagroshes, then, because Rhyas is very underwhelming. She's an assassination caster without the tools to really get the job done.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't really plan on doing Legion anytime soon, I just liked what I saw when flipping through their book at work. Though she honestly didn't strike me as being an assassination caster.

SJ on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jackisreal wrote: »
    It was General Nemo

Also
    AngrySwan.jpg

NEW THREAD TIME!

So is everyone happy for me to recycle the OP that was sucked into the otherworldly abyss created by the forum down-time? I have it saved on my desktop, so I'll put it back up as soon as I get home (I've been away for the weekend)

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dooo iiitttt

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, let's get the new thread back up.

Also, I'm still in vassal if anyone is up for a game.

kaorti on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Legion hits hard and fast, but can't always take the punch back. Casters to look at might include the Thagroshes, Saeryn, Absylonia, and possibly Bethayne; warbeasts could include the Scythean, Carnivean, and Angelius (and perhaps Raeks and Nephalim Soldiers); units could probably include Warmongers/Warspears, Swordsmen/Legionaires, Hex Hunters, and Striders.

Circle doesn't hit quite as hard always, but can certainly get the job done, plus it has decent mobility. Legion tends to ignore a lot of Circle's tricks with flight and eyeless sight though. Casters to look at might be Kromac, eKaya, and Baldur; warbeasts include Feral Warpwolves and Warpwolf stalkers, the heavy wolds, the Gorax; units could include Bloodtrackers, Tharn, Skinwalkers, and probably druids for some balance.

If you like tough and durable, have you considered Trolls? That's kind of their thing, plus they do buffs far better than Skorne.

I had considered Trolls, and they do like nice, but I like the look of the Skorne and Legion better, and I think I prefer the Skorne's beasts from what I can tell rules wise.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    JonahtkeJonahtke Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I had considered Trolls, and they do like nice, but I like the look of the Skorne and Legion better, and I think I prefer the Skorne's beasts from what I can tell rules wise.

One last thing to consider is your own ability at painting. I don't know how experienced you are but it's something I wish I had kept in mind before I picked cygnar as my first list and had to paint all those tiny faces...I've gotten down pretty well now but my gun mage officer still looks like he has down syndrome.

Jonahtke on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Jonahtke wrote: »

One last thing to consider is your own ability at painting. I don't know how experienced you are but it's something I wish I had kept in mind before I picked cygnar as my first list and had to paint all those tiny faces...I've gotten down pretty well now but my gun mage officer still looks like he has down syndrome.

I'm not great, but I'm not terrible either. I've painted some 40k models, and some BFG models, and they aren't spectacular, but the one's I have painted don't look TOO awful. Mostly BFG Chaos ships, Tyranids, and some of my Chaos guys.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    I don't really plan on doing Legion anytime soon, I just liked what I saw when flipping through their book at work. Though she honestly didn't strike me as being an assassination caster.

Exactly.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Exactly... what? :P I mean granted I haven't looked through Legion's stuff too much. But if she isn't an assassination caster there isn't much point in being disappointed in her ability to assassinate :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The point is, she's supposed to be an assassination caster, but she doesn't have the tools to do it. But because she was designed as an assassination caster, her spell selection and feat makes her not really good at anything in particular. At least, this is the general consensus of the Legion players I know.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well that sounds like a challenge to me

SJ on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The recent comic about Warmachine drove me to investigate the franchise and I think it seems way more appealing than Warhammer and 40k. How expensive is it to get into this?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The recent comic about Warmachine drove me to investigate the franchise and I think it seems way more appealing than Warhammer and 40k. How expensive is it to get into this?

To start? Not overly much. Starter sets are $50 + glue costs. The next step up from there depends on your faction, but normally shouldn't cost you more than $25 or less. It's recommended you start out with the starter stuff and get the rules down, and once that's done, expand in the usual fashion. A good-sized army (35 points) varies in price, though you shouldn't have to spend more than a couple hundred, in many cases less cash than a comparable 40K/WFHB army.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are the starter sets plastic figures? I hate plastic figures. On the other hand I've never painted miniatures before and I'll probably botch it, so better to ruin cheap ass plastic figures than good ones. On the third, most important hand, I have $0 dollars to spend right now so I guess I'll think about it if I have money again sometime.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Are the starter sets plastic figures? I hate plastic figures. On the other hand I've never painted miniatures before and I'll probably botch it, so better to ruin cheap ass plastic figures than good ones. On the third, most important hand, I have $0 dollars to spend right now so I guess I'll think about it if I have money again sometime.

The newer starter sets are plastic. There are still a good number of the older pewter ones floating around though. Personally, I like the plastic sculpts better than my pewter ones.

If you want to give the game a try, track down a pressganger in your area. One of their primary functions is to own a variety of models so that they can run introductory games for people. Early this summer, when I was thinking about getting into miniature wargames, I just went down to my friendly local game store and asked around. They told me what days the local pressganger was around, and I played my first game later that week.

kaorti on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can buy the older box sets pretty readily if you prefer metal, but the newer plastics are a little more intricate.

As for spending cash, you could probably coax one of these guys that is not me to teach you how to play over Vassal Online.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As a side note: I just finished the last of 86 Cygnar models. I am now officially 100% fully painted in two factions! Now for the other 42% of 221 Khador models...

General Nemo on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    New thread is live (again). I'll fix up any minor gribbles tomorrow.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Doesn't PP use a different type of plastic than most other plastic models?

Tomanta on
This discussion has been closed.