As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tomb Raider: Trailer up on IGN. Looks like Uncharted: With A Woman

mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Games and Technology
UPDATE: After ignoring this thread for over a year, I thought I'd make a quick update.

New trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkBZ6kKeoTI&feature=youtu.be

That is all.

ORIGINAL OP:

This month's GameInformer has an exclusive 10-page reveal of the next Tomb Raider, currently in development by Crystal Dynamics.

Cover image behind the spoiler
jan2011_cover_b_front.jpg

Official Tomb Raider site, currently pretty empty

GameInformer's Tomb Raider Hub, will be updated throughout December

Chance wrote a blog post about the GI reveal, check it out here

Features, shamelessly stolen from tombraiderchronicles.com, who stole them from neogaf:
- Lara Croft will be 21 in Tomb Raider
- Tomb Raider will be rated M for Mature
- There will be no real life Lara Croft model
- Tomb Raider is a reboot of the brand, not only the series
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- Weapons to include a shotgun, bow and pistols
- The lock on targeting system has been replaced with a free aim system
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
-There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

"There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide." says experienced director Noah Hughes.

"It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor.

"As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking."

I've got to say, this sounds pretty sweet, but Crystal Dynamics have made grand promises before. Still, I will remain cautiously optimistic until there's more to go on.

So, now, I guess this thread is to discuss all things Tomb Raider for the time being, I'll update the OP when more info comes in

mr-razzcocks on

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmmm

Tomb Raiders Legend and Underworld rekindled my love of the series, and this does sound cool. I too, shall remain cautiously optimistic for this.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Hmmm

Tomb Raiders Legend and Underworld rekindled my love of the series, and this does sound cool. I too, shall remain cautiously optimistic for this.

I feel similarly, and I do hope many elements from Underworld--particularly the rock scaling and swimming--make it in here. I'm not really excited with the notion of another reboot this fast (what is this, Prince of Persia?), so I guess we'll see.

Synthesis on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Crystal Dynamics have done greater things with the license than Core ever did, so I'm all for it. It sounds great, and I trust they can at least make a capable game out of it.

Edit: I like the fact that they say there will be no real life Lara Croft model, but there's one right there on the cover. Unless it's just a heavily photoshopped mannequin; I can't tell anymore.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sounds good. Underworld has some amazing aspects, and if they make good on those this should be an excellent game.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Hmmm

I feel similarly, and I do hope many elements from Underworld--particularly the rock scaling and swimming--make it in here. I'm not really excited with the notion of another reboot this fast (what is this, Prince of Persia?), so I guess we'll see.

I've never been too fussed about reboots. As long as they keep making decent games, I'll keep playing them.

I didn't actually like Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider for the longest time, but in the run-up to Guardian Of Light, I went through the series again and really enjoyed Legend and Underworld this time round. I actually got around to getting the DLC for Underworld, and really enjoyed that too, but I could have done with it being longer.

mr-razzcocks on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also yes free aiming at fuxking last

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited December 2010
    Hmmm

I've never been too fussed about reboots. As long as they keep making decent games, I'll keep playing them.

I didn't actually like Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider for the longest time, but in the run-up to Guardian Of Light, I went through the series again and really enjoyed Legend and Underworld this time round. I actually got around to getting the DLC for Underworld, and really enjoyed that too, but I could have done with it being longer.

Ah, I guess I'm just overly cautious--obviously, we're all hoping for a good game (though I'll admit, the Lara's Shadow DLC does mean I'll miss repeatedly beating on giant monsters with her fists whilst giving people creepy stares).

It seems that Crystal Dynamics figured out a few of the things they did wrong with Legend (like shoot-em-up sections where thirty identical morons charged you), so as long as they remember to take elements from the really good Core games (like they did from Tomb Raider III) this could be really good.

Synthesis on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So some areas are locked out because of physical limitations and this is using Metroid exploration? So do you acquire "the sexy strong legs" on a pedastal while a choir sings?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Perhaps the reason why, while others see the words "Metroid-like" and squeal with glee, I'm a little worried about it myself.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2010
    Perhaps the reason why, while others see the words "Metroid-like" and squeal with glee, I'm a little worried about it myself.

What's to worry about?

Lara could easily find boots with grippier soles or something.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited December 2010
    It depends on the quality of implementation. That's what there is to worry about.

Boots that magically allow you to walk somewhere you couldn't earlier would make me roll my eyes--I'd rather see something to the effect of a map in a place that was otherwise an unnavigable maze at the entrance, thus allowing you to enter the next "area".

Synthesis on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I loved, loved, loved, Legend. With a passion. One of my favorite games of all time. Anniversary was awesome as well. And then Underworld came out, and was just crushing disappointment. I don't know, it just didn't have the magic, and felt like they were taking the tired old "grimdark serious" route with it. I just wanna explore tombs and find magic artifacts and crack wise with my colleagues over my headset, dammit.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited December 2010
    Definitely a valid opinion--Legend was good, very good, but honestly, I was seriously disappointed by some of the shortcuts taken (especially in the Japan level--"Hey, you know what would make this level longer--a totally unnecessary gunfight."--though this happens at least once in all the zones). On occasion, it worked (like in Kazakhstan), but more often it just really broke up the pacing of the game and the atmosphere.

Of course, I'm in the mindset that I don't play Tomb Raider for crappy gunfights (of which Legend had way too many), I play it for exploration and atmosphere--which I think Underworld did far, far better. I did not like the fixation on Norse Mythology (Christ, what is it with all the love the Vikings get? It's a little tiring at this point.) but that wasn't an impediment on the exploration. It's the same reason I didn't like Tomb Raider II as much as the first or third game--I didn't come here to engage in long, crappy gunfights.

Anniversary was all right. Some points were stronger than others. I played it at the same time as my first Underworld playthrough--which basically had far better implementation of mechanics and allowed Lara to do many, many more things, as well as being much prettier--so it's no surprise I basically gave up at Egypt out of boredom. I really should have finished it earlier.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the gunfights were annoying, but simple enough that I just kinda had to hold down the triggers and jump around so I could get back to the fun part of exploring and finding collectibles that unlocked an INSANE amount of bonus items.

Then Underworld came out and you get a choice of like two outfits, and the rest are paid DLC, and I couldn't help but feel like I'd been fucked somehow.

Underworld spoilers:
    Also I really liked Alistair, and I felt like the only reason they killed him was because they needed to kill someone so you could see how dark and serious the story was, and because they didn't feel he was important or cool enough.

l337CrappyJack on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I loved, loved, loved, Legend. With a passion. One of my favorite games of all time. Anniversary was awesome as well. And then Underworld came out, and was just crushing disappointment. I don't know, it just didn't have the magic, and felt like they were taking the tired old "grimdark serious" route with it. I just wanna explore tombs and find magic artifacts and crack wise with my colleagues over my headset, dammit.

This post is me

Word for word

I am so excited about this reboot

I think it may have jumped ahead of Arkham City for my most anticipated in 2011.

UnbreakableVow on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This post is me

Word for word

I think it may have jumped ahead of Arkham City for my most anticipated in 2011.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not go nuts.

Ceno on
    edited December 2010
    I could definitely see Alistair's death as the typical, "Hey, someone's gotta die!" approach that Mass Effect 1 and other games took.

At the same time, I'm much more forgiving of it than I would otherwise be--normally, I hate that sort of implementation--for two reasons: first, it introduces the new Doppleganger effectively--it would be a disappointment if she didn't try and murder everyone.

Second, the character of Lara Croft is, after all, a misanthrope--until recently, pretty much every other human being she meets she ends up killing (Surrealitycheck pointed this out quite well in his LPs). It was a chance to show that, even with the death of a friend, she was still an unpleasant misanthrope.

I'd much rather not have a boring, simplistic gunfight than have to go through it, especially after the fourth or fifth one--at that point, I'd really rather just walk through a room without that annoyance. In the area of DLC, I can understand where you're coming from--I mean, I prefer a stronger actual game than unlockable costumes, but that's not true for everyone--but you do know that they released additional free DLC costumes a few months after the game came out? They were the costumes that won CD's fan contest. Something like a half-dozen, including some wetsuits.

Personally, Lara's Shadow was one of the best post-game DLC I'd ever gotten up to that point, so I was very pleased. As long as they avoid making this game too much like Legend, I'm looking forward to it.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2010
    Ceno wrote: »

This post is me

Word for word

You say this, and yet you limed it

You are conflicted

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

UnbreakableVow on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ceno wrote: »

This post is me

Word for word

You say this, and yet you limed it

You are conflicted

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

I am interested to see how this game turns out.

I am raving-lunatic-chuck-grampa-under-the-bus lusting for Arkham City.

Ceno on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been waiting for underworld to drop on steam foreve. Hopefully this christmas salewell be a good one.

Big Classy on
    edited December 2010
    I enjoyed Underworld more than Legend. Sure it was more serious business, but they improved on everything over Legend. Except the camera... this new game better have a good camera.

Also, gunfights in Legend were rediculously easy. Slo-mo kick offa guy and kill him and another guy before hitting the ground. Rinse and repeat. Maybe a little repetitive, but I don't see what the big complaint is.

Skull2185 on
    edited December 2010
    Anniversary and Underworld both had a jerky camera compared to Legend

I couldn't figure out why

Legend's camera was fantastic, just stick with that

UnbreakableVow on
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I always thought TR was fun when it was more exploration and less action. One good thing about the early TR games is the feeling of isolation they conveyed. Hopefully this new one will have more of that.

xraydog on
    edited December 2010
    The more I think about it, the more I feel as if I'm on board with you UV. My most anticipated game for 2011 is still Brink, but I feel more excitement towards this than Batman...

Skull2185 on
    edited December 2010
    I didn't notice the camera being particularly good in Legend...it still felt jerky...but it's a long time since. The improved climbing mechanics and animations in Underworld stick out in my mind, but I'll admit, I'm a glutton for details like that.
    xraydog wrote: »
    I always thought TR was fun when it was more exploration and less action. One good thing about the early TR games is the feeling of isolation they conveyed. Hopefully this new one will have more of that.

Why have long 30-man gunfights when they're totally needless (it's not as though we're chasing experience, all you get from them are health packs and ammo...for the next needless 30-man gunfight) at the cost of runining the atmosphere?

If the gunfights weren't as oversimplified and boring, it'd be a different story--Underworld made some steps in that direction, though not enough (at least they had to good sense to trim it down from 20-30 to 3-6).

Barring making the mechanic better, skip it. Sometimes, less is more--especially when it means you don't waste our time shooting a group of 20 guys coming out of a doorway.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2010
    But if there's not tons of shooting, how do you sell it to the Gears of Duty fans?

l337CrappyJack on
    edited December 2010
    Even with the shooting, you aren't able to kill Russians or other faux-communists, so you're not going to sell it to them anyway.

Synthesis on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What are all the tomb raider games for PS3?

Could we rank them from most like Uncharted to not being at all like Uncharted?

I am interested in picking up one.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited December 2010
    Well if anything, Uncharted took cues from Tomb Raider Legend, not the other way around

Underworld and Anniversary are nothing like it

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    To my knowledge, the PS3 releases of Underworld did not get the very fun DLC, for some reason.

I guess Legend is the most like Uncharted in that you spend a lot of time shooting idiots with horrible AI (just without the better gunplay in Uncharted 2).

EDIT: Beaten by UV. And yes, Underworld, with its swimming and exploration sections, is very different.

Synthesis on
  • Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It sounds just a bit like:
    Lost_in_Blue.jpg

which I thought was actually really fun as far as exploring and upgrading your tools and whatnot. I'm cautiously optimistic and slightly constipated.

Raif Severance on
  • gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The only issue I had with Legend or Anniversary's camera is that I couldn't adjust its sensitivity. I was trying to play it on PC with a gamepad.

It's possible I wasn't able to figure out how, though.

gnodab on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I just popped in Underworld, since I never got around to playing it. I really liked Legend and Anniversary, but is it just me, or did they get something completely wrong in Underworld?

Lara is squirrely as fuck and there's no heft to her movement at all. I've only played it for like an hour, but it already feels glitchy at hell and the physics seem to be messed up. The animation also looks weird as hell and very inconsistent in general; Lara stumbles across small gaps in the floor and looks like she's falling off a ledge. The camera is also terrible.

It just seems really sloppy overall. Am I wrong here?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited December 2010
    Nope

That's exactly what I got from it as well

And I actually believe it started in Anniversary from Legend, it just got considerably worse in Underworld

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    You guys must've gotten poopy copies of the game, cause I experienced only the shitty camera.

Skull2185 on
    edited December 2010
    Nope

Tried it on both PS3 and, later, on 360

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2010
    I have to agree with Skull...movement, especially horizontally, felt far better in Underworld, and it's pretty obvious that they put a lot more work into animations--versus just reusing the same small pool of animations over and over again like they did in Legend. Coincidentally, almost every ledge being the same height and distance from every other ledge in Legend makes it a lot more obvious. Underworld is apparently set in a world where ledges don't comply by the International Metric of Climbing Stuff, so some animations overshoot, but I'd prefer it to climbing up a grid.

It's still twitchy on foot, but it was also twitchy in Legends (with the exception that you had a lot more open spaces without obstructions in Legend--for example, all the giant rooftops in Japan)--you could still walk yourself into a wall or get caught on something in the earlier game. And I also appreciate the fact that Lara moves slightly differently on different kinds of terrain--versus being a weather/terrain-proof android in earlier animations. It could use more refinement, but it's a good step. That may not be for everyone though.

I've played both on PC and on Xbox 360. Never on the PS3.

Synthesis on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, this is interesting. Tomb Raider games have never actually appealed to me, but I'll play any game that's good. The thing is, I don't think the Tomb Raider games have ever been good. Like, ever. They've never looked like the sort of quality game that I could embrace and point to as something appealing. Which is funny, because Naughty Dog basically took the Tomb Raider theme, made a gender change, and put out 2 really great games. That's kinda sad when you think about, that it had to take some pretenders to the throne to actually make good games.

Lara's a sex symbol in gaming, that's quite obvious. But that fact alone has never ever been able to get me to care about the games. Like, I'm as much of a red-blooded heterosexual male as the next gamer, but uh... if I want porn, I can find porn. It's all over the internet. Very easy to find. Even some super kinky stuff. I don't need it in my video games. And that whole idea of trying to sell the games based on Lara's massive boobs, that always turned me off, ironically. It just seemed very shallow and insulting and kinda desperate.

Now, I've actually only played one Tomb Raider game, and it was the last one, Underworld. Is it fair to judge an entire franchise on one game? If you think about it, the latest game in a series is supposed to have all the improvements and refinements and perfected elements of each previous game, right? So if Underworld wasn't gonna do it, I doubt my opinion would have improved by playing the older ones.

And uh, I hated Underworld. It really stunk to high heaven. I am really really glad I didn't play any TR games in the days of yore, judging by what I got in Underworld. First of all, the platforming is not that great. It felt pretty damn stiff and clunky. On its face, it's probably the strongest element of Underworld, but compared to contemporaries like Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed, and it really fails. It's just not good enough anymore. Of course, there are people out there who actually dislike the sort of platforming in PoP/AC, so it's all personal preference. But I myself couldn't get onboard with it.

Now, the combat. That's a really strong factor for me in games. The combat in Underworld is complete shit, and far far worse qualitatively then the platforming. First off, manual aim seems almost nonexistent. The level of fidelity isn't there, you absolutely aren't capable of aiming at longer distances at anyone. Either it's too inaccurate or your bullets just seem to phase out of existence past 15 feet. 15 feet! How the hell can a developer only provide gunplay within 15 feet?

So manual aiming is terrible. I guess they want you to use their lock-on aiming. But again, this only seems to lock-on within 15 feet. You can't fire at enemies at medium ranges. I have no idea why. And the whole idea of lock-on aiming is repugnant to me. I don't need to have the game aim for me. I didn't need it in Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Rainbow Six, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Crysis, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Uncharted, etc... I basically haven't needed or wanted it in about 17 years. Yet that seems to be how they want you to aim in Underworld. I hated that, it felt lazy and out of touch with reality.

And the dual pistols contain infinite ammo. Why would pistols have infinite ammo? How does that make any sense? Where would Lara fit infinite ammo into her clothes? I hated it when Ubisoft gave infinite pistol ammo in Rainbow Six Vegas and SC Conviction and apparently they learned it from the Tomb Raider games. Also, the levels had a lot of peculiarities that really felt unpolished. Near the beginning of the game, Lara is onboard her fancy expensive yacht and is about to go diving for some treasure. Well, you can't actually explore this yacht, because there are invisible walls everywhere. There's some stairs leading up to the controls of the yacht, but you run into an invisible wall right at the stairs. Why would you do that? What the hell is the point of having all these boundaries on this boat? I dunno, but it was lame.

So yea, all in all, Underworld seemed like a terrible game. I did not finish it. The combat felt awful and the platforming was merely clumsy. Not a good experience, or even a mediocre experience. When you think about it, it's almost laughable to consider TRU and Uncharted to be competitors, the gulf between them is so fucking huge these days. To their credit, this TR reboot that's been announced does not seem to resemble Uncharted in many ways. It's an open world survival game, that's something new. I'll be happy to play it if it ends up being actually good. Maybe Crystal Dynamics learned that what they did during the last couple entries was fucking garbage and wasn't selling. I hope so, I always hope that a game is going to be good. There's never any reason to wish that something is going to turn out bad.

Now, the only real issue I have with this new reboot is Lara herself. For all of Underworld's faults, I actually really liked Lara's visual appearance. They managed to inject some realism into her design while retaining the classical Lara Croft look. This new redesign is somewhat of a departure from that approach and I'm not a fan of it. I do know she's supposed to be 21 in this new game and maybe that's why they changed it up. And yea, all that blood and gore matted to her face isn't very appealing. But of the two designs, I'm in the Underworld camp.
    1652232-lara_super.jpg

Delta Assault on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So this is that takes-place-near-Japan survival-horror-with-weird-shadow-monsters game that got leaked way back, huh? Sounds more Resident Evily than I expected, but I guess that's to be expected. Not by me, obviously.

Woo M rating! It seemed like the series up till now has been a little limited by trying to keep it T, so it'll be nice to see what Crystal Dynamics can do with less content restriction. Also woo free aiming! Not that I expect we'll ever see a Tomb Raider game with decent combat. Or a decent camera. But if somehow we did, that'd be rad.

Monger on
    edited December 2010
    Honestly, I'd rather this not become Uncharted as heretical as that sounds (and I don't think the comparisons are exactly accurate either)...if I wanted to, I'd play a third person shooter. Better combat is a nice idea, but I'd rather have exploration--mostly since I don't think TR could do it well enough to avoid the repetition of "Oh, hey, it's the same guys running in a straight line followed by an armored guy I will shoot 20 times from cover." broken up by parts of a sniper section.

But, of course, that requires they keep the environments interesting (Underworld did a good job of that...even Mexico, the most boring section, was still more interesting than the the large majority of Uncharted 2's environments of trees with small buildings interspersed, and then lots of small buildings packed together). And that, in turn, relies heavily on the setting. I especially don't want Uncharted 2's half-hearted platforming--run up the stairs, run down the stairs, jump, and do this again--since that's forgivable amidst shooting literally dozens of guys, but kind of sucks in exploration (and coincidentally, Uncharted 2 basically happens between shooting large groups of people.)

The survival horror idea seems to confirm that. This isn't going to be a case of "Lara ducks into cover, shoots eight Russians, include one with armor that you have to shoot seven times in the chest, runs up stairs, ducks into cover and does that again," I suspect. That isn't a bad game by any means at all--a good third person shooter--but I don't think that's what they're going for--a horror exploration game. Not that there aren't some things I wouldn't mind seeing borrowed from third person shooters, including Uncharted 2...some of the melee options from there would be pretty great, if implemented properly.

Plus, if the point is to be scary, shooting from cover (among other things) tend to makes things a lot less scary and involve a lot less exploration.

EDIT: Also, Russian attack helicopters? Not scary in video games.

[/opinions]

Synthesis on