As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Les [Chat]s des Maldoror

• Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    do you spend a lot of time on youtube or hulu? 'cause that'll do it

No. I typically stream about 30 minutes off Netflix, though. On a busy day I might stream about 2 hours, but that's the exception.

Netflix can go up to 2G per hour.

Between the g/f using netflix, me torrenting, and both of us gaming I'm amazed Comcast hasn't DCed me.

Yeahhhhh we (my entire house) watches like all the netflix, constantly youtube things, and the fiancee and I game all the time

its no wonder sometimes the internet at my house just doesnt work

but also fuck you comcast i am paying you like 70 dollars a month for internet i can use as much as i want

Until they ding you for using "excessive bandwith"

Comcast does have a soft cap of 250GB but they only enforce it if a lot of people in an area go over it. I've been using 500-600GB per month for months now and they still haven't called me about it.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so if you are a diabetic muslim, and you have an excess of insulin during the day and need to eat something sugary, I assume that is permitted

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Also, my neighbor's Internet is spotty, and he thinks it is the fault of "the wikileaks"

People are amazingly ignorant of how tech works.

Yeah but I reckon most people don't give a shit. In the grand scheme of their life they don't really need to know, like everyone doesn't need to know how a car works.

Yeah but when my brake pads start to warp I don't blame Obama. In this day and age I probably could...

No, but you could probably get away with blaming it on the salt on the roads during winter time.

You really can't choose an obscenely unrelated thing. Wikileaks = internet. Salt = cars.

Daxon on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The nice thing is, if I get my own place, I won't go with the ISP that caps. GCI is the company my landlord is using, because they also provide cable, but I could just go with ACS and they don't impose a limit.

Everyone caps in Canada.

:(

LaOs on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so if you are a diabetic muslim, and you have an excess of insulin during the day and need to eat something sugary, I assume that is permitted
    nope. straight to hell

Bama on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

No. I typically stream about 30 minutes off Netflix, though. On a busy day I might stream about 2 hours, but that's the exception.

Between the g/f using netflix, me torrenting, and both of us gaming I'm amazed Comcast hasn't DCed me.

Yeahhhhh we (my entire house) watches like all the netflix, constantly youtube things, and the fiancee and I game all the time

its no wonder sometimes the internet at my house just doesnt work

but also fuck you comcast i am paying you like 70 dollars a month for internet i can use as much as i want

Until they ding you for using "excessive bandwith"

Comcast does have a soft cap of 250GB but they only enforce it if a lot of people in an area go over it. I've been using 500-600GB per month for months now and they still haven't called me about it.

my point is that is stupid and fuck you comcast

didnt you use to work for them?

Arch on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wow. Comcast is officially more reasonable than my local ISP.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Rent, you're a fan of Shane?

Have you read the comics?

yeah, up to trade 5

Is... is that the same as volume 5..?

I don't know comics lingo.

trades are collected sets of usually a year's worth of that comic's issue

the reason I don't use the word "volume" is is that they've issued volume sets of TWD already

ed: but yes, it should be volume 5, if you're talking about the thin paperbacks sets of 12 issues

Yes, those. I've never seen them called trades before. So you're not completely caught up yet. I've just finished 11.

I've got the Compendium too, which is I think issues 1-48 or something like that.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010

I know that the Baha'i (which are heavily based on Muslim tradition) do not require small children, the very elderly, or the medically unsound to participate in the fasts.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    either way shane is awesome as fuck in the show in comparison to the book

Rent on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    LaOs wrote: »
    The nice thing is, if I get my own place, I won't go with the ISP that caps. GCI is the company my landlord is using, because they also provide cable, but I could just go with ACS and they don't impose a limit.

Everyone caps in Canada.

Shaw doesn't really enforce in a lot of places

but they will be now that they can charge on overages

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The problem with usage caps, unless I'm missing something, is that traffic doesn't generally cause a problem but traffic spikes do. If I download 20GB of shit between 2am and 3am I'm probably not degrading another customer's service.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    my point is that is stupid and fuck you comcast

didnt you use to work for them?

Yep. Its not that bad since they don't enforce it. Its mainly only if you're affecting other people in the area that they'll ding you.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    My cable provider is actually sensible about bandwidth. Between 12PM and 12AM you get 2.5 gigs. If you go over that during that time, they bump you down to 2.5 megs until midnight, where you can use bandwidth all you want until 12PM again, where everything resets to zero and you have the limit again.

Sheep on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

How can/do you find that out?

Run a bandwidth monitor on the computer you're using for streaming or on your router.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

If fasting would put your life in danger or add undo stress when you're already ill (pregnant women can't fast, nor menstruating ones, nor children, nor if you're sick with a bad cold or something like that) then you're not allowed to fast at all and you make up for it in other ways.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    comcast is such horrible bullshit

i will never give them my money ever again after they tried to screw me out of $600

U-Verse all the way

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My cable provider is actually sensible about bandwidth. Between 12PM and 12AM you get 2.5 gigs. If you go over that during that time, they bump you down to 2.5 megs until midnight, where you can use bandwidth all you want until 12PM again, where everything resets to zero and you have the limit again.
    see, this is what I'm talking about. That's pretty sweet.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

If fasting would put your life in danger or add undo stress when you're already ill (pregnant women can't fast, nor menstruating ones, nor children, nor if you're sick with a bad cold or something like that) then you're not allowed to fast at all and you make up for it in other ways.

makes sense

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh man that reminds me i think there is a different ISP here now on the peninsula

research tiiiiiiime

Arch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    The problem with usage caps, unless I'm missing something, is that traffic doesn't generally cause a problem but traffic spikes do. If I download 20GB of shit between 2am and 3am I'm probably not degrading another customer's service.

Which is why comcast doesn't enforce it.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    man i wanna go home and play my dwarf shaman

wheres jake/thom/elldren/cass, i need to know if we are still on for tonight or not

arch

i just started playing DA:O

and instead of making my normal human rogue type character I made an elf warrior with the pointiest ears

and i am using his burning hatred of the humans who have oppressed his people to help me make decisions in the game

rp fag

you're gonna end up doing blowjobs with that russian elf you know

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Everyone caps in Canada.

Do you know if there's a way to tell what portion of your cap you've used in a given month (even if it's just for prior months rather than current)?

I also don't think I'm going to come close to the cap, even with my newfound Netflix. Really just more curious.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think my apartment is probably a black hole in comcasts network.

We consume all bandwidth in a massive area. Not even the light of a fiber optic line can escape our maw.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    U-Verse?

AT&T can diaf

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    man i wanna go home and play my dwarf shaman

wheres jake/thom/elldren/cass, i need to know if we are still on for tonight or not

arch

i just started playing DA:O

and instead of making my normal human rogue type character I made an elf warrior with the pointiest ears

and i am using his burning hatred of the humans who have oppressed his people to help me make decisions in the game

rp fag

you're gonna end up doing blowjobs with that russian elf you know

i really want to bone morrigan

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    either way shane is awesome as fuck in the show in comparison to the book

I liked the first couple episodes of the TV series, but the whole... thing they've been doing lately. Ech. They're taking out everything that makes the comics distinct from other zombie stories. I can see why they're shitcanning all the writers and getting new ones.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    so what happened with rust/rent anyway?

rust decided he couldn't stop himself from being breathless and incendiary about whatever the topic of the day happened to be and earned himself a little vacation. rent is still unjailed as far as i know.

or maybe the other way around. i can't keep them straight.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    comcast is such horrible bullshit

i will never give them my money ever again after they tried to screw me out of $600

U-Verse all the way

Now that's a story I'm curious about. I did see accounting try to screw a couple out of $2000+ once. And elderly couple that just paid their bill without ever looking at it was charged for internet for years even though they never had it, and accounting only wanted to refund 6 months since that's what the ToS says.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    U-Verse?

AT&T can diaf

uverse is the shit

cable is for jerks

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    Passer-

Are American Muslims "in general" as Anti-Baha'i as the ones in the middle east are? Cause Iranian Muslims have a hate-on for them that is pretty majestic.

I suspect the younger ones don't care as much as the older ones... or is it even a thing here at all?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited December 2010

makes sense

This counts if you have medications you have to take - like heart medications, that sort of thing.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Misfits does "new additions" to the team perfectly.

New guy enters, I groan that it's gonna be a "new guy" storyline until he's accepted into the group. Five minutes later new guy gets shot in head.

Success!

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    YOU BANNED AN INNOCENT MAN! His posts are on your hands!

Bama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Everyone caps in Canada.

Do you know if there's a way to tell what portion of your cap you've used in a given month (even if it's just for prior months rather than current)?

I also don't think I'm going to come close to the cap, even with my newfound Netflix. Really just more curious.

In some places you can check in their online customer care thing, but it's not universal

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    see, this is what I'm talking about. That's pretty sweet.

Yeah, this actually reflects the real-life problems of supplying a utility in limited supply. The same thing works when electricity and water utilities do it (but obviously they can't limit you so they just charge a lot more to lower usage at those times).

It's funny how this problem has been solved forever in other areas, yet most ISPs claim that it's impossible to manage and they need to selectively prioritize the internet (in exchange for dollars from content providers, of course).

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    so what happened with rust/rent anyway?

rust decided he couldn't stop himself from being breathless and incendiary about whatever the topic of the day happened to be and earned himself a little vacation. rent is still unjailed as far as i know.

if i knew who i was i'd be offended by this

but i'm...still not sure...

Rent on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    my cap is 125 a month

if I've ever hit half that I'd be shocked

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I rolled up a worgen hunter last night and played through their opening area. It was pretty awesome.

Plus you get a tophat.

I have a werewolf that is currently wearing a tophat

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Passer I keep reading fasting as farting

Captain Carrot on
This discussion has been closed.