As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Poker Night at the Inventory!

18910111214»

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    no the secret is i'm your dad

Also why not Mordin or Joker or Wrex

T4CT on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    okay, we have consensus.

Wrex it is.

Buttcleft on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd say whoever suggested Joker had the better idea.

At any rate, given that the sales probably didn't blow anyone's minds, I'd say the chances of getting characters from big publishers other than Valve are iffy at best. Hell, at this point I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get a sequel/DLC at all.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks to my brother, I finally was able to acquire this game! I haven't had the chance to dabble too much into it, but so far I am liking the pacing and humor. Unfortunatly, I'm fearing that prospects for DLC for this game is rather slim... but I do think that you guys are all forgetting one high potential possibility for awesomeness:

A Vortigaunt.

The Listener on
    edited December 2010
    DLC is bad, stop praying for dlc.

instead pray for another card game in the series.

Buttcleft on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    yeah but it's a gross default apperance

You are the worst kind of person
    1275526625817.jpg

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    DLC is awesome.

Then again I'm an avid Rock Band player.

cloudeagle on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DLC won't happen because it would involve bringing everyone back to record new lines and probably also renegotiating the contracts for all parties involved (unless that was planned out ahead of time).

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What would DLC consist of in a poker game anyways? New card games you can play like Blackjack or, maybe if they really want a swing with the lawyers, Magic: The Gathering? That is both hilarious and highly unlikely.

I don't think a 5 dollar game like this warrants it. It's just a simple, fun little poker game that might (also highly unlikely) have a sequel. But that will be some other kind of gamey game that isn't poker.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited December 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    DLC won't happen because it would involve bringing everyone back to record new lines and probably also renegotiating the contracts for all parties involved (unless that was planned out ahead of time).

Well, Telltale did say they were hoping to have an entire series of "Inventory" games, so it sounds like they're willing to put in the money if the sales are there.

cloudeagle on
    edited December 2010
    Bridge Night at the Inventory includes:

That Senile Fucking Ambassador from Mass Effect (Mass Effect)
    Scrooge McDuck (Duck Tales)
    Gordon Freeman By The Time Episode 3 Is Actually Released (Half Life)
    God (The Bible)

T4CT on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Well, Telltale did say they were hoping to have an entire series of "Inventory" games, so it sounds like they're willing to put in the money if the sales are there.

Yeah, entirely new games, though.

Of course, at $5 a pop, it's cheaper than most DLC anyway.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuck yeah, DoubleFine characters would be sweet. Also, rad.

Jintor on
    edited December 2010
    Deathspank

T4CT on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuckin' Heavy knocked me out with a flush.

Damnable last card

Jintor on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

There's a sound file in Poker for Murder at the Inventory, which I imagine would be a point and clicker.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had been eying this game for a while. I'm a pretty big poker player, but I tend to stay away from poker games that put you against an AI (especially exclusively), even if it did mean some TF2 items. Then the combination of the Steam sale and the treasure hunt objective put me over the edge. So far it's about what I expected: decent poker game, highly entertaining characters, but at the very least worth the sale price for some laughs.

Then I started thinking of my dream poker table for this game. What can I say, I was bored at work today. I tried to think of characters that would be possible based on licensing (Telltale, Valve, etc) instead of having just any character. Here's what I cam up with:

Gabe from PA: Tycho is good in the current one because it's a different funny personality than the other players, but I think you have so many more options with Gabe.

GLaDOS from Portal: This doesn't need much explaining. The dry humor and threats on the player's life would be priceless.

Heavy from TF2: I think they nailed this one. TF2 humor fits right into a game like this, and the heavy is the best character they could get to fit into this kind of game. Scout would be a close second though.

Ellis from LFD2: Nick would fit well too, but I think you'd funnier situations with Ellis.

ShadowofVT on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gabe would indeed be great for a game like this. He is competitive, highly animated, likes to talk shit, is socially awkward, humorous, erratic, egotistical, and has plenty of other qualities that would make him a fine addition.

But I think the absolute perfect character for a game like this would be Div. A surly, vulgar, outdated piece of equipment that is known for drinking and dedicating his time to seeking out other vices. As you play, he could get progressively drunk and outrageous. Break a bottle over the table and threaten someone one minute and then tell everyone one else that he loves them the next. Maybe insist on everyone quitting poker so they could go to a strip club or get a hooker instead. Belittle everyone else at the table constantly and question the manhood of any person who folds. Honestly, I think it would be an outright crime to leave someone like Div out of a game like this indefinitely. Hell, I would have the game already if he were one of the characters.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rehab wrote: »
    Gabe would indeed be great for a game like this. He is competitive, highly animated, likes to talk shit, is socially awkward, humorous, erratic, egotistical, and has plenty of other qualities that would make him a fine addition.

But I think the absolute perfect character for a game like this would be Div. A surly, vulgar, outdated piece of equipment that is known for drinking and dedicating his time to seeking out other vices. As you play, he could get progressively drunk and outrageous. Break a bottle over the table and threaten someone one minute and then tell everyone one else that he loves them the next. Maybe insist on everyone quitting poker so they could go to a strip club or get a hooker instead. Belittle everyone else at the table constantly and question the manhood of any person who folds. Honestly, I think it would be an outright crime to leave someone like Div out of a game like this indefinitely. Hell, I would have the game already if he were one of the characters.

I can get behind this, but only if he is voiced by Jon Lovitz and his secret item is the Fruit Fucker.

chamberlain on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the Vortiguant would make an awesome choice.

Undead Scottsman on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jon Lovitz would be interesting. I want to say Denis Leary or someone with a deep gravely voice myself.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Honestly, he sounds a bit like a more crotchety Bender in my head.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Game won't even start for me. Tried verifying the cache and it came back clean. Just attempting a reinstall now and hopefully that'll fix the problem it doesn't want to tell me about. (Seriously, no dialog boxes with warning or anything. Just nothing)

Nope. Still nothing. I get the dialog box from Steam saying its opening the game and then nothing. Its like I never selected the 'play' option.

Nobody else is having this issue?

I can get it working on my Win7 i5 notebook with Intel HD chipset.

WinXP, dualcore intel 3.0ghz, 8800 nvidia. it will never start.

Joe K on
  • ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Div would indeed be a wonderful PA character to include. Hell, maybe for future editions the table could be expanded to hold a full 10-person game. You could also have a character selection screen to pick the size of the game and who you play against.

ShadowofVT on
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Game won't even start for me. Tried verifying the cache and it came back clean. Just attempting a reinstall now and hopefully that'll fix the problem it doesn't want to tell me about. (Seriously, no dialog boxes with warning or anything. Just nothing)

Nope. Still nothing. I get the dialog box from Steam saying its opening the game and then nothing. Its like I never selected the 'play' option.

Same here. Bought the game when it was on special. Installed it, I get the TTG splash screen then the game crashes back to desktop. reinstalling it didn't fix the issue.

This is the first game on steam I buy that I can't even run...

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

God (The Bible)
    Have you even met God? God doesn't play bridge.
    God plays dice. (craps)

Obvious DLC: Strip Poker Night at the Inventory.
    Same characters of course. Max has to buy in every time. D:

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
    edited December 2010
    Vicktor wrote: »

God (The Bible)
    Have you even met God? God doesn't play bridge.
    God plays dice. (craps)

Obvious DLC: Strip Poker Night at the Inventory.
    Same characters of course. Max has to buy in every time. D:

I dont want to see Heavy Dingus, or any of the other players Dingus for that matter

Buttcleft on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jon Lovitz would be interesting. I want to say Denis Leary or someone with a deep gravely voice myself.

I agree with Leary more than Lovtiz. Lovitz is awesome, but his voice just won't fit Div. But instead of Leary I would prefer Will Arnett. Very grave with sarcastic undertones. Just how I imagine Div.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This is only tangentially related, but it looks like Ryan Davis at Giant Bomb was inspired by Poker Night at the Inventory and decided to do a Quick Look Throwback on Multimedia Celebrity Poker from 1995:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-multimedia-celebrity-poker/17-3586/

It's an amusing watch, complete with running Windows 3.11 and a...moment....with Jonathan Frakes a little after the 27 minute mark.

SteevL on