As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GRAN TURISMO

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Toyota Yaris RS Turbo

look for it in the used car section, it's like $13 000

The Black Hunter on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    This fucking Toyota Yaris race is costing me a fortune. I'm driving like a maniac but every time I get to the home straight I get passed by Every. Single. Other. Car.

FFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Wait...the single car races in GT5 don't require stock cars?

The hell?

They do but you realize there are 5-6 "stock" Yaris/Vitz... if you bring the wrong one you'll get smoked - at least on the straights. It's a Beginner level race so at least the AI drivers suck at braking & turning and you can pass them there.. but they don't have a problem flooring it on the straights. The one you want is the turbo RS.

Any idea what the update yesterday did? I was hoping it would fix things like custom transmissions but I guess not.. I jumped in my Mustang 350GT for the mussssacar race and it did fine until I ran out of gear on a verrrrrry long straight.. had to bounce the limiter for like 2 minutes solid at 130mph watching little fuckin Supras and shit pass me (yea right). So I had to spend $20,000 on a "fully customizable" transmission but uhh... you can only change the final drive.

jwalk on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I heard tell of some online play fixes coming soon.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got a basic Yaris for free and after I'd spent a little money on it, I reached a point where buying another Yaris as well was not an option I could live with.

It was literally suicide or upgrade the car more.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited December 2010
    So many crapcans, so little cash.

Finally found a '70 Supra 1600 to use in that Jap-70s race, did okay with a few minor boosts. Except for one race where I kept getting put against something called a "DOME ZERO", little fucking rocket-wedge car... what the FFFUCK is that thing? Had to just keep restarting until it didn't throw one of those in there... wtf.

Also while I was looking thru the used lot I saw the GT40 race car for sale... fucking baby blue and orange "GULF" colors and everything, I completely wet my pants... totally soaked.... too bad it was... 19 MILLION CREDITS Aahrhfghghff.

jwalk on
    edited December 2010
    Dome Zero

Domezero.jpg
    The Dome Zero (童夢-零 dohmu zero?) was a prototype sportscar from DOME Co. Ltd that was exhibited at the 48th Geneva Auto Show. The 'Dome Project', started by Minoru Hayashi in 1975, had the goal of producing small volume sports cars using knowledge gained from his racing exploits. The Dome Zero was the first of such low volume sportscars, and after failed attempts at getting Japanese domestic homologation their efforts were concentrated on overseas homologation. The project would never be completed.

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited December 2010
    So I just bought this.

Really hoping I can see past the flaws, I probably will.

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    so my first "fuck you" gran turismo 5

getting DQ'd in a Top Gear event for getting hit from behind

Staleghoti on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you will get dq'd in top gear events many, many times

edit: as best as i can tell they exist sheerly as a personal troll from jeremy clarkson

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I have no idea how you're supposed to win any of those.

In the Elise one I managed to get to 7th place right before the last 2 turns (gambon?) then got bumped and slid a bit and passed into 9th place...

The VW microbus one is just... wwwwwwhat???

jwalk on
    edited December 2010
    I've got silver in the bus one, that's a little more forgiving than the elise one.

I had a Bronze locked down in the elise one and got DQ'd on the last corner.

Jwalk- the last 2 are Bacharac bend and Gambon

Staleghoti on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Slipstreaming, dirty driving in the places you can drive dirty and fifty thousand hare paws helps with the top gear event.

Burning Organ on
    edited December 2010
    Holy Shit

Tuscan Night Race in the Grand Tour Event

that is just spectacular, I keep doing terrible in it because everything is so distractingly beautiful

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    anybody know how to rewind in a replay?

I keep having to pause at that EXACT moment if I wanna take a good photo

Staleghoti on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    don't think you can.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited December 2010
    So I wanted to compete in the Professional Series Supercar Challenge

the one on the top right

So I ended up picking up a Murcielago SV, for a bit I thought it might be major overkill... until I made it to the final race

What's that in the distance ahead of me?

oh... McLaren F1

I'll take "I regret nothing" for 500, Alex

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    holy shit Advanced Level Karting.

the line between first and last is as thin as my hair

Staleghoti on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    holy shit Advanced Level Karting.

the line between first and last is as thin as my hair

Just like real life! I've seen European kart races where 1st to 3rd placings are separated by 7 thousandths of a second...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited December 2010
    I won a Karting race by two thousandths once, and I wanted to take a picture of the moment in a replay. BUT NOOOOO, You're not allowed to see the last couple seconds on your race in this game! It always fades out before you're finished

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    Oh hey I won a Veyron! Neat!

Standard Car? WTF?

Staleghoti on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    they're changing it to premium, for easy money, expert turbo challenge on high speed circuit, for obvious reasons

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2010
    The karting does my head in. You're bombing along with one lap to go, then some butthead breathes on your back wheels and you spin out and FUCKING BASTARDS.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited December 2010
    yeah that sounds about right.

Whatever you do, don't brake!

Staleghoti on
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hello 50,000 credits of upgrades to a car to win one event in B-spec that I could have done 50,000 credits ago by myself

natek on
    edited December 2010
    I hear if the guy spins out in B-Spec he waits for EVERYONE to pass him

Staleghoti on
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    sometimes a car hits him and he straightens out accidentally!

natek on
    edited December 2010
    I tried B-Spec once, then realised it was retarded.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited December 2010
    Ehh, it's a way to make money while you are doing something else.

Burning Organ on
    edited December 2010
    Seems like one of those things where, I would have rather had more Premium cars

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    I don't think the people who programmed B-spec could have helped much with making more interior models of cars though...

Burning Organ on
    edited December 2010
    Anyone know what this patch 1.05 is doing?

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    nevermind, I found out.

Here's the new changes

・Seasonal Events
    [Seasonal Events] have been added to the upper left side of the [GT Mode] - [GT Life] screen. From here you can participate in official online events from the Polyphony Digital team.
    In these events, all participants race under the same regulations, and if you complete the event you will win rewards and experience. In Time Trials and Drift Trials, compete on the leader boards with players around the world.

・Online Dealership
    An [Online Dealership] has been added to the left center of the [GT Mode]-[GT Life] screen. In here you will find popular and rare used cars.
    You might just come across that one car you’ve always been looking for, that you haven’t been able to find in the [Used Car Dealer]

・Online Race Rewards and Experience
    When you complete a race in the [Open Lobby] or [My Lounge], you will now gain rewards and experience points.
    Therefore if you are focused more on playing online, you’ll still be able to gain rewards and levels that you need to progress in [GT Life].

・Driving Distance and Number of Wins in Online Races
    The driving distance and the number of wins you achieve when you complete a race in [Open Lobby] or [My Lounge] will now affect your stats in [Profile] and the [Garage].
    Here again the results from your online play will cumulate within [GT Life].

・Improved Rewards
    The rewards for winning races in both A-Spec and B-Spec in [GT Mode]-[GT Life] have been increased for a limited time only. (This applies until the end of January 2011)
    This is a great chance for those who were previously having difficulties getting ahead in the game, due to a lack of funds for tuning and purchasing required cars.

・Race Information Display
    [Race Information Display] is now available in [Start]-[Quick Options]. (You can also see this in [Race Display] in [Options]).

・Save Data Backup
    You can now copy and restore your save data. For details, please refer to the in-game [Manual].

・Personal BGM (Menu)
    From [Options]-[Hardware]-[Audio], it is now possible to set the [Personal BGM] (Menu)]. (This can also be accessed from the [Music Library] within [GT Mode]).

・Car Name Change
    The official name of "Red Bull X1" has been changed to "Red Bull X2010".

・Integration with the Website
    The main features within [GT Mode]-[Community] can now also be accessed through the "gran-turismo.com" official website.

[Important Note:]
    * We have made improvements to the [Log] within [GT Mode]- [Community] section, in order to make its operation more stable. Please note that the information that was here before the update has been reset.

* Some contents of the update will not be applied unless you sign in to the PlayStation®Network when you play the game.

[To Check Your Current Version]
    To check the version of your software, press the "Manual" button at the bottom of the main menu screen. The version number will be located on the upper left of the index page in this manual.

Online Dealership sounds nifty, now if only they could make it easy to race online

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    Okay I'm ready to meet the fuckin mongoloid who said "We should enable traction control during dirt/snow rally stages, and it should limit your performance in such at way that only turning it to 0 can help you."

WHYYYY

I'm in a fucking GROUP B Lancia! Did traction control even EXIST then?

I set it to 1 thinking if I didn't I 'd just rack up barrier impact penalties... nope, turning it to 1 means that sliding in 2nd or 1st gear is still impossible.

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    I'm so bad at rally.. so terrible.
    But yeah the first time I tried one of the rally special events I had TC and ASC on... rolf the car just didn't GO.. anywhere.

Yeah it's funny, 1960s/1970/etc cars with TC and ABS... :lol:

jwalk on
    edited December 2010
    Well, My DELTA S4 is from'85, but still it should all be turned off at least, or I mean... WHY DOES THAT EXIST.

I finished Advanced Rally special Event with Golds, but I'm a pussy and turned the TC back on for the Tarmac one.

And now I'm at the great part of all GT games where I gotta save up like 5mill for a racecar, so I can compete in the "Classic Racecar" race which boasts those 20million dollar monsters, luckily there's used stuff that compete for 5.

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    Yup, I have come to the conclusion that when you become eligible for things like Gran Turismo Allstars, or anything unrestricted in Exrteme, you're TSOL without a racecar, it's like they should have put "Congratulations on reaching level 20! Please save up 5 million credits!"

Like heaven forbid a McLaren F1 with all the maximum options from the tuning shop be able to compete. I even spent time tuning the tranny for max speed without losing power

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    if you stretch the max speed you lose acceleration, it's physics

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2010
    oops that meant to say without

Staleghoti on
    edited December 2010
    If you stretch the gears, you lose acceleration, not necessarily power.

Try shortening them and seeing if you get a positive response, on most tracks a top speed of 320 would be plenty, or more than plenty

The Black Hunter on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Basically you want the top speed attainable by your car to match the circuit you're driving on. You should just be running into the rev limiter in top gear right before you slam on the brakes at the end of the fastest straight.

And exiting the slowest corner on the track should be right smack at the start of the meaty part of the torque curve in second gear.

Spread the rest of the gears out nice and even, with a tweak here and there to suit corner exits - if there are multiple corners you exit at about 100-110 km/h, then arrange it so that third gear is set so that at that speed you are just getting into the torque curve of your engine.

This way you always have maximum acceleration available, all the time. Last thing you want to do is be going around corners at or near max rpm, because then you waste time changing gears right after the corner, when really you should be trying to push the accelerator pedal through the firewall...

Donovan Puppyfucker on