As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Removing ThinkPoint Malware

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
My dad got a whopper of a virus the other day on his dinosaur Windows XP desktop called ThinkPoint. It's a false security program that blocks access to the desktop and everything else.

I tried to follow a couple of removal methods online, but the virus blocks the ability to bring up Task Manager. I managed to boot it up in Safe Mode and tried some other steps, but it's still there.

Anyone know of a sure-fire way to remove this bitch?

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Try UBCD4Win and see if that does the trick.

corky842 on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If that doesn't work, you may have to use another computer (a bad idea but you may not have a choice). Or, nuke it from orbit.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A little late, but just in case:

rkill than malwarebytes works for me. That is, unless you have super new version I havent seen yet.

ThinkPoint is weird in that you can actually close it and access your desktop by first choosing safe startup. While its running it's fake scan go to settings and choose to run unprotected. Save settings. Then after its done with its bullshit scan, click continue unprotected and you can close the window. Run roguekiller, then malwarebytes.

Greenish on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I tried those methods before, but the damn thing just wouldn't go away. I ended up deciding to format his computer, but I'm unable to locate the restore disc with his system (an Insignia 2300a). Is there a way to restore the computer to factory settings without using a disc?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If it has a recovery partition yes, otherwise no.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    How do I check for that sort of thing, and what steps do I need to activate it?

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Every brand has a different hotkey to press during boot to access it, so just watch for the hotkey during POST or just jam all the F keys except F8.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is that virus anything like HDDScan? my wife had a virus or malware on her computer this weekend called HDDScan (no idea where it came from since she has all the common sense in the world and knows how to avoid that sort of thing).

Anyway, it blocked the task manager and a lot of other applications. Basically wanted us to buy a "defragmenter" or something before it could claim it was "fixed" and stop bugging us.

Was able to delete it by starting up in safe mode with networking, downloading the latest version of Spybot S&D and Malware Bytes Anti-mlware (both free)

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Is that virus anything like HDDScan? my wife had a virus or malware on her computer this weekend called HDDScan (no idea where it came from since she has all the common sense in the world and knows how to avoid that sort of thing).

Anyway, it blocked the task manager and a lot of other applications. Basically wanted us to buy a "defragmenter" or something before it could claim it was "fixed" and stop bugging us.

Was able to delete it by starting up in safe mode with networking, downloading the latest version of Spybot S&D and Malware Bytes Anti-mlware (both free)

Yeah, it's pretty similar. ThinkPoint's a little more vicious but it's the same sort of idea.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Some viruses infect the recovery partition, which is why I always insist on using actual install discs.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »

Some viruses infect the recovery partition, which is why I always insist on using actual install discs.

Lots of manufacturers will not provide an install disc when you purchase a laptop.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pretty sure I had this exact bastard a month or so ago. I got around it with safe mode and restoring from a restoration point. If it's the same version of Thinkpoint which got me, then if it has infected the recovery partition of my system I have yet to find out.

It's worth a shot, though, especially if you've got anything imminent you need done with the system or need to pull some files off of it first.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »

Lots of manufacturers will not provide an install disc when you purchase a laptop.

You can often get the discs from them for a nominal fee, or borrow a disc from someone else who has one, as the license is bound to the code on the sticker and not to the disc itself.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it a PC like a Dell or store brand thing?

Look on it for a Microsoft sticker, on there should be your license key for the version of Windows that came with it. If you find it you can use any disc you happen to find and be up and running and activated with no problems.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not sure about the price, but you can order it from MS here.

corky842 on