As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bill to Repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Blocked by Senate

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    seriously, if you like movies bad lieutenant is one you can't miss

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    well at least we've managed to close Guantanamo

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    wait fuck

screw this shit, let's fucking riot

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A republican senator and Lieberman are going to introduce a standalone bill to repeal DADT

If it turns out that this was all a scheme to let the Republicans take credit for repealing it (which like 70% of the American public wants)...I just don't know

But its chances are pretty slim, in any case

Honestly, logrolling is one of the things that really pisses me off about Congress. If something needs to pass, don't attach it to a bunch of other shit.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »

shoot him again

his soul's still dancing

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am confused. Why is a majority vote not sufficient?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    A republican senator and Lieberman are going to introduce a standalone bill to repeal DADT

If it turns out that this was all a scheme to let the Republicans take credit for repealing it (which like 70% of the American public wants)...I just don't know

Honestly, logrolling is one of the things that really pisses me off about Congress. If something needs to pass, don't attach it to a bunch of other shit.

I agree with that. Supposedly, a standalone bill might have enough votes to pass, as there are a few Republicans who have said they'd vote for just such a bill.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    today was shaping up to be such a nice day

Squall on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A supermajority of 60 is required to close all discussion and force a straight up-or-down vote, which requires only a simple majority. With the failure of the motion, a filibuster of the bill would likely take place and a vote would never happen.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »

Because the Senate (and the Congress as a whole) is governed by a set of rules that can be described as hat-on-ass stupid.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    wait, what

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/nyregion/10health.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss
    Republican senators blocked Democratic legislation on Thursday that sought to provide medical care to rescue workers and residents of New York City who became ill as a result of breathing in toxic fumes, dust and smoke from ground zero.

there must be something else to this story...

the "something else" is that republicans are refusing to allow any legislation until the democrats give the ultra rich their tax cuts

12/09/10: Nevar Forgit.

LTM on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Because the Senate (and the Congress as a whole) is governed by a set of rules that can be described as hat-on-ass stupid.

the 2/3rds vote were set in place for very good reasons

the problem is that most of the fathers didn't really think that members of congress would make a job out of it, and figured they would instead actually represent their constituency

it was an oversight

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    A supermajority of 60 is required to close all discussion and force a straight up-or-down vote, which requires only a simple majority. With the failure of the motion, a filibuster of the bill would likely take place and a vote would never happen.

So why don't the Dems call them on it and make them filibuster it for the next 3 months, then?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

the problem is that most of the fathers didn't really think that members of congress would make a job out of it, and figured they would instead actually represent their constituency

it was an oversight

Fair enough.

Though I guess it is kind of sad that not expecting the guys running the country to make complete assholes of themselves can ever be considered an oversight.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

So why don't the Dems call them on it and make them filibuster it for the next 3 months, then?

because they're pussies

Shock G on
  • Options
    ieyeasuieyeasu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Because if you're left of center (or, arguably, just...centrist) in America, your options suck.

The Democrats are an ineffectual and feckless lot. It's too bad that my other option is...like...reactionary conservatism.

ieyeasu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it was an oversight

Fair enough.

Though I guess it is kind of sad that not expecting the guys running the country to make complete assholes of themselves can ever be considered an oversight.

that's why they made terms relatively short

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it's not too late to become a part of the commonwealth guys

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Because new Senators and Congressmen will be appointed by then and most of them won't be Democrats. That's why it would never happen.

That's what a lame duck session is.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So the government is still ruled by no rational thought at all, I see. Some things never change.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really glad my only option in this country is between bigoted asshole fuckbags and a gaggle of spineless sopping pussies.

What happened to Senators beating each other with canes on the floor in the middle of a session

I am running for the Senate. My campaign will consist solely of the promise that, if elected, I will beat the shit out of a Republican with a cane at least once a week.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really confused by all the libertarian hate.
    It doesn't mean "No taxes, no benefits, no business oversight, or even lowering these policies"
    It just a movement to increase the state's power and lower the national's power.
    You can be a liberal state libertarian.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It doesn't mean "No taxes, no benefits, no business oversight, or even lowering these policies"
    It just a movement to increase the state's power and lower the national's power.

What you're describing is, at best, a niche subdivision of libertarianism.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It means exactly that to a lot of libertarians

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

So 50 little dictatorships would be better than a single moderate government?

I don't think that's really a libertarian position.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-december-8-2010/ct-phone-home

starting at 4:15 actually gives me some hope

that will be crushed eventually

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »

I agree with that. Supposedly, a standalone bill might have enough votes to pass, as there are a few Republicans who have said they'd vote for just such a bill.

yeah, sure

you can talk about it so that it sounds really distasteful

but the fact of the matter is

1) that is how shit has gotten done in Congress since forever, and it is necessary to the process; if I have a pet project I'm working on I can tack it on to another bill that I have moderate misgivings about. If they want me to do them a favor as a legislator, they can do me a favor.

2) an amendment to regulate military policy towards servicemen and women is 100% appropriate for a military appropriations bill, even if you think coupling non-essential amendments to omnibus legislation is a bad idea.

the people saying they would only support a repeal of DADT if it was its own legislative item rather than a totally appropriate amendment to a spending bill are playing obstructionist. They want to defeat the item introduced by Democrats in order to make Obama look like he is shoving legislation down their throats, then they can vote for it stand-alone and take the moral high ground in the procedure argument

it's 100% cynical and they have no interest in doing what's right

but then again I'm talking about Congressional representatives so that last sentence is a little superfluous

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Feminism can mean "demonize dudes"
    and Christianity can mean "treat gays like shit"
    to lots of people in those groups
    but it doesn't reflect the important principles of either.
    The libertarians I've spoken to are not wealthy neoconservative economists
    Just dudes who would like to not rely on other states for their income and general policies.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shock G wrote: »

because they're pussies

I read psycko's post and thought "because they're pussies"

and then I read your post and thought "this guy is not an idiot"

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

So 50 little dictatorships would be better than a single moderate government?

I don't think that's really a libertarian position.

yes dictatorships
    that is exactly what I was trying to detail.

how did you know?

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Just dudes who would like to not rely on other states for their income and general policies.

I had a serious libertarian boner for a while.

Then I finished school and entered the real world.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »

shoot him again

his soul's still dancing

you don't have a lucky crack pipe?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    this was by and large the most accessible character nic cage has ever played and that confuses the shit out of me

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Shock G wrote: »

because they're pussies

I read psycko's post and thought "because they're pussies"

and then I read your post and thought "this guy is not an idiot"

oh look there's 3 of us

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Four of us

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    wait, what

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/nyregion/10health.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss
    Republican senators blocked Democratic legislation on Thursday that sought to provide medical care to rescue workers and residents of New York City who became ill as a result of breathing in toxic fumes, dust and smoke from ground zero.

there must be something else to this story...

This actually happened a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AG0ddWf9TQ

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

"Increasing states' power" is absolutely not a principle of libertarianism.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wait, 57-40? Where are the other 3 votes? Who are the 3 jackasses that couldn't be arsed to show up for this?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can't I just embrace the homosexuals with one hand and yet with another strike the homeless?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg