As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
MBlogo.png

Welcome to the Mount & Blade thread. Please choose your soundtrack.

New steam group!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/MagicSwordKings
New Warband Server!
Arcadian_Battle

War.

op1new.jpg

War never changes.

op2new.jpg

Welcome to Calradia.

You are an adventurer, forging your own path in the world.

The Nords
Nord.jpg

Residing along the northern coast of Calradia, these hardy warriors are unmatched on foot. Their fierce Huscarls fight with axe and javelin, striking fear into the hearts of their opponents. This faction is entirely infantry-based, with weak archer support but arguably the strongest infantry in the game.

The Vaegirs
Vaegir.jpg

The Vaegirs call the eastern mountain ranges of Calradia home. They have a mix of fairly strong cavalry and infantry, but their marksmen are second to none. Many a foe has fallen at the walls of a Vaegir stronghold due to their prowess.

The Swadians
Swadian.jpg

The Swadians are a proud and haughty nation, having once controlled most of Calradia. Now that battle lines have been drawn once again, the Swadian throne has called his vassals to war. Swadians feature the heaviest cavalry available in the game, the Swadian Knight. These mounted warriors can dominate most infantry on open ground. This kingdom also has a decent mix of crossbowmen and infantry.

The Khergits
Khergit.jpg

After centuries of oppression by the Swadians and Vaegirs, the Khergit Khanate has called his hordes together. Born and bred on the vast steppes of southern Calradia, the Khergits are masters of the horse and bow. Khergit children learn to shoot and ride before they learn to read and write. This kingdom is entirely cavalry based, and focuses on horse archery.

The Rhodoks
Rhodoks.jpg

Generally a peaceful nation of farmers, the Rhodoks have seen the writing on the wall and a call to arms has been sounded. Farmers have taken up the spear and shield in defense of their nation. The Rhodoks are another cavalry-less kingdom, but have the best crossbowman available, as well as featuring strong defensive spearmen with large shields.

Sarranid Sultanate
sarranid.jpg
An Arabic medieval civilization that lives in the harsh deserts of Calradia. Their tactics tends to be based around their fast firing and mobile infantry archers and their exceptional heavy cavalry charges. Their Marmaluke knights nearly rival Swadian's offensively, but carry a shield and one handed weapon, making them even MORE durable. Sarranid units tend to be cheaper to upgrade, but more expensive to maintain.
From the players stand point, their armor is also very good for a mobility character, offering a good amount of protection at little weight.

Who will you choose?

Why should I play this game?
Let me show you. (spoilered for h-scrollage)

The Rhodok army ran.

Driven like so many cattle before the forces of the mighty Nord King Ragnar, they hoped to reach the safety of the castle walls at Jelkala.
r1.jpg

However, they had a problem. A big one.

A problem in the form of Lord Hoglor Turacheg and his one hundred Reavers, brave huscarls all.
r2.jpg

As the terrified Rhodok rabble swarmed directly into his trap, Lord Turacheg knew that blood would be spilled on this day.

And spilled it was.
r3.jpg

In Mount & Blade, you can join a nation as a mercenary and eventually become a vassal. You can command large armies on the field of battle, or you can travel from town to town looking for the best trade deals. You can gain fame on the tournament circuit, or travel from town to town and help them with their problems.

Features

-Command armies with a tactical interface

-Siege towns and castles

-Become a lord by joining a faction

-Start rebellions and help a claimant take their rightful throne

-Plunder, rape, pillage, etc.

-Hire companions that you can outfit and level up

-Robust RPG levelling system

-Hundreds of weapons and armors

-Responsive horse and combat controls

Basically, this game is the shit.

Really Big Ass List of M&B gameplay tweaks

Recommended Mods
(Note: this list can be subject to change and addition)
Prophesy Of Pendor
The current mod of mods, start your own kingdom, find magical weapons, dominate your enemies!
PoP Wiki

Expanded Gameplay III
Arguably the second best mod currently out. Adds a lot of features like classes, formations, amongst others. Creator is a huge dick but it is quality work.

Custom Settlements
Allows you to create your own village, and work it up from a small crappy town, to a bustling metropolis.

Chronicles of Talera
A mod with multiple quest lines, magic, and a custom map.

Native Expansion
Tons of new units, items, etc. Start your own kingdom! Also, troop formations.

Native Improved
Gives kingdoms a more unique feel and improves gameplay through tweaks and stat changes to gear and units, keeping the original feel of the game.

Graphical Enhancement Mod 2.5
Makes the game look shiny and way better.

PunkT Hi-Res Textures
Overhauls the world map textures without adding any new land features to screw up the game! Looks like google earth.

Battle Map Textures
Makes the battle map look nicer.

Ocean and Blood Fix
Improves ocean and blood animations/textures.

Battle Size Changer
A must-have in my opinion. Lets you up the battle size to 1000! Test what your computer can handle. The more, the merrier.

Hundred Years War
Completely overhauls the game to put the player in Europe during the Hundred Years War between England and France. All new units and gear.

Calradia At War
Expands upon the original game, adding tons of new companions, troops, items, quests, and locations.

Star Wars Mod
Self explanatory.

More Metal Sounds
Adds lots of nice battle sounds to combat, makes it sound more realistic.

Eagle and Radiant Cross Mod
New kingdoms with unique troop trees. Introduces firearms (not cheesy but pretty cool) and really nice new armor/weapon models. Worth a look.

Onin No Ran
Japanese based mod from the .903 era, for the time it was amazingly fun mod, gave you quest lines, and specific classes to be used. Still being ported over to 1.10

Last Days
The mod of mods from the pre 1.0 days, based off of the Lord of the Rings, this was the mod every other aspired to be.

FAQs
1. Why am I getting curb stomped alot?
As someone put it in the thread, Calradia is a dangerous place. At low levels, try to avoid bandit groups, except for looters. Looters are the easiest enemies in the game, barring farmers. Even deserters can be dangerous. Try practicing and getting xp at a training field or in the arena first. Then when you have some cash, go around and recruit as many dudes as you can. Using the in-game commands is your key to success.

2. How can I control my troops during battle?
F1-F12 are assorted commands. For example, F1 is "Hold This Position". F2 is "Follow Me" F3 is "Charge", and so on. You can look these up in the control options. Also, 1-4 lets you switch between unit types for ordering purposes (all, infantry, archers, cavalry). Alternately you can press backspace to open the tactical menu. This provides a map of the battle, unit losses for both sides, and a more in depth ordering menu.

3. What is this "couched" damage I keep hearing about?
Couched damage is when you strike someone with a polearm that has been lowered into a striking position, or "couched". In order to do this, you must have a polearm class weapon equipped, and then gain enough speed on your horse. Once you are going fast enough, your guy will automatically lower the spear or lance into the couched position. When this happens simply run the tip of the spear into an enemy. You do not need to click to attack. If you get a solid hit, the result is usually massive damage. I have personally hit for over 500 damage with a high polearm skill. Considering that most enemies don't have over 50 or 60 hitpoints, you can imagine how effective this is at any level.

4. What are companions and where can I find them?
Companions are unique followers who can be hired to join your army. You can find them randomly hanging out in taverns. They will have a story to tell you, and then if you have room you can hire them. They are great because they level up the same way you do, and you get to assign their skill points and so on. Also, you get to completely equip them. You can do both these things by selecting to "talk" to them through the party menu. A word of warning: Some companions do not get along with others, and will eventually leave (taking your shit with them). They also have likes and dislikes of actions on the part of the player. I would use this companion guide to figure out who you want in your party.

5. How come it takes forever for new troops to level up?
Two points. First, the skill called "trainer" will help immensely. Once a day, the game takes all of your points in Trainer and half the points of all your companions' Trainer skills and give experience to every unit lower level than you. The lower level they are, the bigger the difference. Maxing trainer on all your companions is a good way to get those new recruits toughened up. Secondly, units will get experience for killing enemies, just like you. The game puts your troops in battle starting at the top of the list in the party menu and working its way down. So, if you have your new guys at the bottom all the time, they wont see much action and will thus only get shared exp from the battle. However, you must balance the risk of extra casualties against your desire to level dudes up.

6. How do I get a village/castle/town?
You have to be offered a fief by your king. The way the king decides is based on your renown, the number of fiefs you already have, and how much the king likes you. Also, if you captured the town/castle yourself you have a higher chance of getting it. Basically, the more famous you are, the better chance you have of getting a new territory. If other lords have fewer lands than you, it'll be a while until you get offered a new one.

7. What is honor and what does it do?
Honor is a rating of how nice of a guy you are. Refusing ransom offers lowers your honor, as do some quests. Releasing captured lords and defending ladies' reputation earns you honor. All it does is makes people with similar honor like you more and people with different honor like you less. If youre a dick, then nice guys will get pissed at you easier.

8. What is renown and what does it do?
Renown is your fame across the lands of Calradia. You gain it for defeating enemies and winning tournaments. It increases your chance of being offered new fiefs and increases the number of troops that you can have in your army. The more impressive your victory in battle, the more renown you will get. Smashing 10 peasants with 500 knights will not get you any renown, but staving off 400 enemies with 30 dudes in a castle defense will earn you quite a large boost.

9. What do I do with all these enemy lords/soldiers I've captured?
There are a few options. First, you will occasionally receive ransom offers for captured lords. These offers will range from 2000 denars for crappy ones to up to 20,000 for kings. Keep in mind that if you ransom them you will face them on the field of battle again. If you want to hold onto lords to deprive your enemy of armies, you can do a couple things. First, if you own a castle or town, you can place them in the dungeon through the garrison interface (click on the lord -> "give"). You can build prison towers to reduce their chance of escape. If you don't have a garrisonable location, you can visit friendly lords in their castles and they will sometimes offer some cash to take the lord off of your hands.

When it comes to regular soldiers and/or bandits, most taverns will have a "Ransom Broker" in them. This guy will buy any units off of you for 50 denar apiece. Basically, you can become a slaver if you like. Keep in mind that you will have to train at least one point of Prisoner Management to capture anyone.

Thats all I can think of rights now. Im sure theres more to come.

How can I get this game?
Mount & Blade can be acquired in stores, on Steam, or through the developers' website. Also at the dev's site, you can download the full client with a trial mode that lets you play till level 7 at http://www.taleworlds.com.

Mount & Blade Screenshots

Awesome M&B Wiki

Trading Guide for Adventuresome Merchant Types
I noticed a distinct lack of a traders guide, so I decided to do a little research and write my own. This is meant as a general guide. Prices vary widely over time, but the areas that are predisposed to certain commodity prices seems to remain constant. All towns are listed left to right in order of best to worst price. Prices listed are with 10 trading, so assume a bit higher/lower if you have less trade. Also all cities are 0 relation, better relations will improve your margins.

The ordering of towns is from an average view of the 5 different save games over the course of several days each, and the top price will not always be at the listed town - it's just the town that averaged a higher price. Prices listed are in ranges, some quite broad. These are the general ranges of prices that I recorded in my testing of the towns listed.
Note that villages offer cheaper merchandise than the towns, sometimes less than 1/2 the price of towns. From my experience, the villages usually stock the same cheap good as the town they are near. For instance: Price of Oil in Suno is currently 208 in one game. The nearby village Nomar has several units of oil at a price of 111. All city's don't always have the good that they sell, either - in some cases I had to wait for several days before they got them in stock.

Nord Lands
Fish
Buy at: Wercheg, Tihr.
Sell at: Narra, Veluca, Halmar, Tulga
Buy/Sell prices: 5-30/55-70
Linen
Buy at: Sargoth
Sell at: Narra, Tulga, Halmar, Veluca,
Buy/Sell prices: 85-95/230-240

Vaegir Lands
Meat
Buy at: Rivacheg, Reyvadin
Sell at: Tihr, Halmar, Veluca, Narra
Buy/Sell prices: 15-40/75-90
Wool
Buy at: Reyvadin
Sell at: Narra, Yalen, Veluca, Tihr
Buy/Sell prices: 20-50/140-160
Iron
Buy at: Curaw
Sell at: Tihr, Yalen, Veluca, Narra
Buy/Sell prices: 60-90/280-320
Furs
Buy at: Khudan
Sell at: Yalen, Veluca, Narra, Tihr
Buy/Sell prices: 75-150+/435-475

Swadian Lands
Ale
Buy at: Praven
Sell at: Tihr, Rivacheg, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 22-52/80-105
Wheat
Buy at: Uxkhal
Sell at: Tihr, Wercheg, Rivacheg
Buy/Sell prices: 12-40/80-100
Flour
Buy at: Uxkhal
Sell at: Tihr, Wercheg, Rivacheg
Buy/Sell prices: 26-50/95-110
Tools
Buy at: Dhirim
Sell at: Veluca, Narra, Tihr
Buy/Sell prices: 115-200/430-470
Oil
Buy at: Suno, Narra
Sell at: Wercheg, Curaw , Rivacheg, Khudan
Buy/Sell prices: 195-300/480-520

Rhodok Lands
Cheese
Buy at: Yalen, Jelkala
Sell at: Tulga, Rivacheg, Ichamur, Khudan, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 35-60/100-110
Wine
Buy at: Veluca
Sell at: Rivacheg, Tihr, Wercheg, Khudan
Buy/Sell prices: 30-80/145-165
Velvet
Buy at: Jelkala
Sell at: Tihr, Rivacheg, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 615-780/995-1025

Khergit Lands
Pottery
Buy at: Halmar
Sell at: Tihr, Yalen, Rivacheg, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 15-30/130-150
Salt
Buy at: Ichamur
Sell at: Yalen, Suno, Rivacheg, Tihr
Buy/Sell prices: 65-90/270-280
Spice
Buy at: Tulga
Sell at: Yalen, Tihr, Wercheg

Buy/Sell prices: 200-470/915-1003

Also note that most goods are valuable at the most distant areas, with a few exceptions. One oddity was the price of oil - I found it for about 300 at Veluca and Narra as well as the lower prices in Suno, and in one game Suno was at 300 for oil too. The result is the distant southern lands pay very little for oil, so the best prices are northeast.

Since I only used 5 games with a few days in each as my sample, expect different results - but the general prices should be at least similar.

Warband details:
Guide on some of the new features, and multiplayer combat.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,87133.0.html?PHPSESSID=50e743ce945c7634d520c1c6c2bf704d

Warband is an expansion that is going to add a slew of improevments to single player, and after all these years, add in a multiplayer feature.

Some of the new features:
  • The ability to pick up thrown weapons/arrows that missed their target.
  • 32 player multiplayer (Death match, CTF, Conquest, Sieges, Bots)
  • More graphical options for prettier eye candy.
  • HDR/Bloom/Dynamic Contrast
  • New horse models/bump mapping.
For people who play in high resolutions and are tired of huge walls of text during battles but still want messages on.

Edit the file E:\Mount&Blade\Data\font_data.xml

Find the line <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="100" line_spacing="100">

and change it to <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="75" line_spacing="100">

it'll make all text in the game smaller and less eye raping during battles.

Tweaks:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,101731.0.html

A program to automate some of the 82 tweaks found here, very handy:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46290.0.html

omg mods

recommended so far

ProphesyOfPendor

Blood and Steel

The Eagle and the Radiant Cross

AD 1257

Now, ride forth and conquer!

Flavor Screens
happyfuntimeladderclimb.jpg

mb3x.jpg

SkutSkut on

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I will stab all of you to death in multiplayer.

Lemming on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You might want to go through that list of mods and divide them into Vanilla and Warband mods. For example, Native Improved (my old favorite) is still listed even though its for Vanilla.

Also, that list of banners I made is also for Vanilla, here is one for Warband, though I've only placed dots on ones used by NPCs lords, as opposed to listing which is whose.

bannersbig.th.jpg

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You might want to go through that list of mods and divide them into Vanilla and Warband mods. For example, Native Improved (my old favorite) is still listed even though its for Vanilla.

Also, that list of banners I made is also for Vanilla, here is one for Warband, though I've only placed dots on ones used by NPCs lords, as opposed to listing which is whose.

bannersbig.th.jpg

Will do, and is the server still up? I can never find it in the list.

edit-

I may actually need someone to sort the mod list for me, as I'm not entirely sure which is for what.

SkutSkut on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What server?

Also, here is at least something for a Sarranid portrait.

sarranid.jpg

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    New thread smell.

Stabbing mans is fun.

No matter how many times I start a new game planning on focusing archery or sword+shield, I always end up with a 2h weapon and in the front lines.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Where does it put our screenies?

fadingathedges on
    edited December 2010
    Documents>Mount and Blade>Screenshots

SkutSkut on
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ugh. I bought this for the sale and cannot wait to play with you guys, but finals have knocked me out of commission for the next several weeks.

Grrr.

rndmhero on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Ugh. I bought this for the sale and cannot wait to play with you guys, but finals have knocked me out of commission for the next several weeks.

Grrr.

We shall stab ourselves together! I still need to start this too. Although my reasons differ. Freaking Alpha Protocol and its jankyness is keeping me hooked.

Big Classy on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sorry, the server is down till finals are over. I need the computer that's able to host it to render some shit for my finals.

Once finals are over I'll be able to throw it back up.

Anon the Felon on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sorry, the server is down till finals are over. I need the computer that's able to host it to render some shit for my finals.

Once finals are over I'll be able to throw it back up.

How dare you put your life in front of people you've never met but are your 'friends' on the internet!

In other news, good luck!

Big Classy on
    edited December 2010
    Funnily enough, finals don't stop me from playing games (obviously if you look at my sig), but as I process an entire semesters work through a single core processor....it means I can't host shit and I have nothing to do but play games and wait for the server box to throw back error's, take 10 minutes to fix them, and start rendering again.

In other news: Is there a way to get more then one mod going at once? Some of these mods are really cool, but like...I'd like to have a couple of them going in one game (the smaller mods, not the game changing mods).

I also picked up: Calradia at War, and Gathering Storm (WoT mod), I'll let you know how these work out. Early reviews make them look much better then the buggy mess of EaTRC, and the imbalanced PoP.

I read WoT 3 times through when I was younger. I really hope this mod is good.

Anon the Felon on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you're talking mods like different graphics or sounds I imagine it'd just be a matter of using them to overwrite the files in each main mod.

Scooter on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    bah bloody warband, can't take a castle solo when I'm outnumbered 2:1 any more. Sensible, but annoying. Is there any way to get other lords to help you while still taking the credit?

L|ama on
    edited December 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    bah bloody warband, can't take a castle solo when I'm outnumbered 2:1 any more. Sensible, but annoying. Is there any way to get other lords to help you while still taking the credit?

Nope, you need to either use another lord to soften up the castle, or get in tight with the vassalage and get them to ok you getting the castle (by talking to them).

Kind of a pain in the ass.

Anon the Felon on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok..just picked this up...played it a long time ago before warband. How the heck do I view quests I've taken? For example I have to rescue some dude's friend or family member from some bandit lair.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2010
    If someone could get me a list of the warband mods, as this is primarily a warband thread now, I would appreciate it.

SkutSkut on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'm gonna try an Anno Domini game and focus a whole lot on non combat skills. Trade, Persuasion, Engineering, the works. Then have crazy awesome towns and everybody loving me. At least, until it crashes.

Docshifty on
  • WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    If someone could get me a list of the warband mods, as this is primarily a warband thread now, I would appreciate it.

Or at least the most popular/well-liked mods, that'd be very useful.

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Warband Mod List

I recommend Blood and Steel, if you want the basic Calradia game but with much larger armies and more rapid army-building

Or Prophesy of Pendor if you're not a girly man who runs screaming at the sight of a thousand-soldier demon army from time to time

Scooter on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=108569.0

e:
    Oh and the place to watch for new ones;
    http://www.mbrepository.com/category.php?id=1

Morkath on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heir wrote: »
    Ok..just picked this up...played it a long time ago before warband. How the heck do I view quests I've taken? For example I have to rescue some dude's friend or family member from some bandit lair.

click notes on the bottom of the screen, or press N I think

L|ama on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wootage for the new thread.

Y'know, the more I play Warband, the more I realize that my companions are from some kinda fairy princess land where heroes fight bad guys and help the oppressed while passing out flowers and have sparkles trailing after them everywhere they go.

Sometimes, peasants need to be trampled and their villages burned, caravans need to be plundered, and occasionally, just maybe, I gotta run away from a battle when it's unwinnable.

This is war you motherfuckers, get with the program!

Toxic Pickle on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm running lezalit, deshavit, bashetur, rolf, a thief chick and nizar, and they pretty much have no complaints about anything I do unless I lose or retreated from battle or something.

In fact we're having a ball.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wootage for the new thread.

Y'know, the more I play Warband, the more I realize that my companions are from some kinda fairy princess land where heroes fight bad guys and help the oppressed while passing out flowers and have sparkles trailing after them everywhere they go.

Sometimes, peasants need to be trampled and their villages burned, caravans need to be plundered, and occasionally, just maybe, I gotta run away from a battle when it's unwinnable.

This is war you motherfuckers, get with the program!

You must have recruited the comically good guys, then.

Whenever I plan on taking the "viking" route to victory (Arguably the easier route, too. So long as you don't mind other factions hating your guts.), I recruit guys, like the sergeant who got kicked out of the equally comically evil desert faction for whipping a soldier to death. Or the snooty noble companion who hates common-born folk if i'm looking for someone a bit more toward's the neutral evil end of the alignment scale.

Those folks don't have any problem with me pillaging entire cities. Hell, if anything, they seem to enjoy it.

Archonex on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's a bad idea in general to loot villages. When you eventually take them over, you won't get as many recruits from there, plus they'll give you less money in taxes.

Gotta play the long game.

Lemming on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think choosing pole arms was a mistake. On horse I can't hit anything. On foot I can maybe hit the air.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I started up a Blood and Steel game with a more 'army manager' philosophy and less 'wrecking ball on horseback' and I'm enjoying this mod a lot more. It is frustrating as hell to get one or two shotted by basic forest bandits.

One thing I don't understand: after reading about the design philosophy the dev was going for a more realistic feel for the combat, i.e. more lethal ranged weapons, high damage to light armored targets, less accurate archery at long range. So then why include the steel bikini wearing female mercs that can throw axes farther than I can shoot a crossbow? He does include an option to turn them off, but still its a little weird. Of course that doesn't stop me from recruiting 50 of them and stomping all over the dirty peasants.

bamjo on
    edited December 2010
    I think choosing pole arms was a mistake. On horse I can't hit anything. On foot I can maybe hit the air.

Lances are great when you're fighting on flat and slightly hilly plains.

Sword for every other place.

Antihippy on
    edited December 2010
    The WoT mod sucks. The magic is pretty terrible, and the world map...while a spitting image of the book maps and properly show's who owns what...Yikes. The White Tower faction (which you can play as), has 2 cities, and like 3 fifes, maybe a castle. That's it. I know it's mostly just for immersion, but it's heavy stuff if you want to actually play. Still, gotta give it to the creators, it's well done.

I was looking into trying PoP again, but with another faction...I might try the D'har...

Anon the Felon on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Lances are great when you're fighting on flat and slightly hilly plains.

Sword for every other place.

psh, swords kill your opponent, its all about using a blunt weapon so you can take them prisoner for profit!

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited December 2010
    Trading blood for money is a disrespect of a warrior's soul.

Of a warrior's soul.

Antihippy on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I swear to god Red Kingdom, if you wait until my town is done being looted to magically show up with 150-300 men and loot it again for the third time I will fucking end you.

I want to build up my goddamn town, damnit, and I can't do shit when it's continually looted.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there anyway to have some of your soldiers wait for you somewhere if you don't own a castle/town? I need to sneak into a town to find the spy but I can't sneak up on the town because my army size is 150 (playing blood and steel).

My troops are all either Elite or Expert so I don't really want to have to disband them and start bringing them up again with fresh troops.

Cobalt60 on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to have some of your soldiers wait for you somewhere if you don't own a castle/town? I need to sneak into a town to find the spy but I can't sneak up on the town because my army size is 150 (playing blood and steel).

My troops are all either Elite or Expert so I don't really want to have to disband them and start bringing them up again with fresh troops.

? There should be the option to disguise yourself and attempt to sneak past the gates, and if that doesn't work, beat the hell out of all the guards that spawn and you'll be able to wander around the town normally.

Docshifty on
    edited December 2010
    So PoP update! The D'har faction has some really amazing melee weapons available to it, which is way cool. One critical problem with them as a faction, which has been commented on on the forums for the mod.

D'har has like zero good cav and archers. They have the most amazing infantry in the game, and will shred anything they touch. The problem lies in their ability to get there. Most other factions have archers that are worth a damn, and at least some cav guys. D'har cav dies instantly and the archers can't hit anything, even en mass.

What does this mean? While I (the player) can build an army exploiting their infantry superiority and using companions and myself as cav to kill hostile cav, and deal with their archers through sheer superiority of stats...Every other lord in the faction has terrible army composition. Here's a great example:

I had just started, small 30 man recruit army with a few guys trained up. I joined a friendly lord who was engaged with his 120 man army, against a 30 man enemy army. I figured "Hey, easy rep points here, maybe some loot I can sell to get going!" It did not go down like that. My army got slaughtered (I kind of figured this might happen), and my friendly lord lost 75% of his army...to a 30 man army.

It was way bad. D'har have such an imbalance in units, no wonder they where getting worked when I was playing Ravensten. I just had no idea the dev's didn't find a way to make the NPC's build slightly kind of effective armies.

Anon the Felon on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I made an account just to talk about Warband.

That's right.

EatRC is my favorite mod right now. Worried that guns may imbalance things later on since I've not gotten very far on it but I'm sure it'll all work out okay in the end. Haven't had any crashes with it or anything.

What's everyone's experience with the mod so far?

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
    edited December 2010
    Buggy. Messages stop coming in (very important when your "Press tab to finish your win!" thing doesn't show up and you're credited with a retreat instead of a victory even though it was a victory.), companions that get ransomed back don't rejoin your party, but that's about it.

Once those two things are fixed, I'll love that mod to hell and back. Will most likely play it all the way through.

Anon the Felon on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've only gotten into Mount and Blade since Warband but have been thoroughly into it. Did you play EatRC in the original version? If so, was the balance pretty good?

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    D'Shar

Reading the PoP forums, it looks like the D'Shar focus has shifted in 3.0 from being more of a Khergit/Mongol analogue to being more Persian, with incredible infantry and lots of cheap archers you just throw at the enemy and not really care about, with the Dervish cavalry acting as more light skirmishers and harassers.
    Frei wrote: »
    I've only gotten into Mount and Blade since Warband but have been thoroughly into it. Did you play EatRC in the original version? If so, was the balance pretty good?
    I played a lot of TEATRC for the original M&B. I don't think it got updated much between 2009 and Warband's release earlier this year, so it's for a long outdated version of the original that it may not be compatible with. At any rate, it has some balance issues, since most factions do not have firearm-wielding troops, which means the Imperial State troops (especially the ones with the repeating rifles, which could be trained from peasant recruits in a matter of a few days compared to having to be recruited in limited quantities from cities and then trained in the Warband version) will usually decimate any opposition aside from maybe some Lion Throne heavy cavalry charges followed by heavy infantry rushes. Even an army consisting of nothing but Dragoons turns into a highly mobile rape-squad, and is what I usually used for my standard "get out and fight some enemy lords" force.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)