As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: Troy and Abed in Stopmotion!

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It was surprisingly dark, if you consider the real-life ramifications of the episode. Abed essentially had a nervous breakdown. I am not sure, if the character and the show can easily recover from something as grim as that.

Yes, TV and movies is how Abed processes the world, but this episode moved that side to him from amusing quirk to serious psychological issue. I'm a little worried if Abed's asides will still be funny now, or just remind me of how messed up and broken he just might be.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    It was surprisingly dark, if you consider the real-life ramifications of the episode. Abed essentially had a nervous breakdown. I am not sure, if the character and the show can easily recover from something as grim as that.

Yes, TV and movies is how Abed processes the world, but this episode moved that side to him from amusing quirk to serious psychological issue. I'm a little worried if Abed's asides will still be funny now, or just remind me of how messed up and broken he just might be.

tumblr_l9m445CRJ41qzxu0ko1_r1_500.png

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I find it highly amusing that people are commenting on how dark this last episode is because Abed is clearly delusional and can't separate reality from fantasy while treating Abed as if he was a real person and not as a character on a comedy show given certain traits in order to elicit laughs.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I noticed that at the end, when the TV turns off after they finish watching Rudolph (I assume that's what they were watching), you can see the reflection of the cast as real people and not stop animation anymore.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It is a serious psychological issue. It's played for laughs because Abed is surrounded by people that care about him but he's still got those problems and ignoring them isn't healthy

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    he kind of realizes its a delusion though

hes just playing along to see where it goes

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I find it highly amusing that people are commenting on how dark this last episode is because Abed is clearly delusional and can't separate reality from fantasy while treating Abed as if he was a real person and not as a character on a comedy show given certain traits in order to elicit laughs.

Yes.

Clearly it is only possible to think of a fictional character as either a caricature that anything and everything can happen to or to think that Abed is real.

Clearly.

No middle ground there whatsoever.

No way.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Considering the whole episode was a psychological character study of Abed (and notably light on the comedy), it's kind of hard to not look at it from that perspective since that was the point.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can we all agree on what a silly goose his mom is? That card was just cold blooded.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Can we all agree on what a silly goose his mom is? That card was just cold blooded.

Yeah it was. God damn, woman. "I have a new family now, so I don't love you anymore. -Mom" That's pretty much what it said.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i don't know, I thought it was pretty well established that abed has serious psychological issues. I didn't see this as any significant departure from or even really development of his character. I did think it was significant that the group acknowledged his problem (eventually) and helped him, rather than being all "that's our wacky abed!" I also wish the animation had better captured the characters' gestures, abed in particular has a unique style of talking with his hands that was totally lost.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wait, that isn't the kind of thing you write in christmas cards? Crap, I need to go stop the mailman.

Khildith on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah if I consider it as reality he's disturbed

just a show though. troy believing we can live as cartoons doesn't make him an actual retard so I guess we let some things go, or don't respond to them as though it's real life.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Variable wrote: »

just a show though.

This, pretty much. It's just that it was acknowledged as seriously disturbed behaviour within the show, that pretty much demands that the audience should do so, too.

I think nothing so far has suggested that Abed is that troubled. Quirky, nerdy and a little "weird"? Sure. But psychologically scarred to the point of retreating into a fantasy stop-motion world to deal with his emotions? That's clearly different from what the show seemed to portray him as so far.

Now, I'm not complaining or critisising the show here. I've enjoyed the show and this episode immensely. I am just worried what will become of Abed as a character. It's one thing to think of him as somebody thinking within a very narrow and specific cultural framework. That's funny to me. I can laugh with and sometime at such a character. It's another entirely to think of him as a character who has a strenuous grip on reality. I find it hard to find that kind of behaviour funny. But maybe that's just me.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I kinda figured that this episode was a one time thing - Abed's connection with his mom and Christmas was a big deal to him, and to lose that suddenly you would have to have an really adverse reaction to that and exaggerate it for TV purposes. Sure, he'll still be meta, but I don't think he'll keep imagining something like this unless it's as painful as this.

I really hope they reshoot this, but from the real life perspective of the group as they sit in the study room and do the hypno/visual therapy session with Duncan.
    It would be pretty D: to see Danny Pudi break down at the point when Stop Motion Abed Freezes over.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So all of you are shocked that Abed is legitimately disturbed in his head, but the idea that Greendale was suffering from an actual zombie invasion that would have killed everyone if Troy hadn't saved everyone at the last minute is just lulz.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So all of you are shocked that Abed is legitimately disturbed in his head, but the idea that Greendale was suffering from an actual zombie invasion that would have killed everyone if Troy hadn't saved everyone at the last minute is just lulz.

Nah, there was a back and forth argument when that episode aired too.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm in the middle of this episode and it's really making me sad.
    Also, did Abed say his mom was Polish?

ALSO (NSFW-ish)
    Did anyone else keep seeing the portal Professor Duncan used as a ..vagina?

Mim on
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I liked this episode, but I was disappointed with the title of the episode. This is the first episode I can recall that didn't have the name of a (real or fake) class as a title.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abed openly and instantly recognized that what was going on wasn't real. He then went through a process of self-examination that was viewed through the prism that defines how he interacts with the world; pop culture. He then resolved the internal issue to some degree of satisfaction, and returned to the "real" world by accepting the things that had caused him to drop into this state.

That was exactly the kind of thing you try to get people who are having an emotional breakdown to do. That it happened in stop motion and not live action was a conceit to Abed's internal strangeness and the fact that this is a television show.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure I like the selective use of "oh it's just a show". Yeah, it literally is, but that sort of attitude then just makes it more difficult to actually justify relating to the show when it does get real. Unless you're just using that sort of dismissal whenever convenient.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the title was a bit off-putting.

Anyone have theories as to why Abed chose the specific forms for each character? Brittabot and Ballerannie were explained a little, but what about the others? Troy Soldier because Troy's a loyal friend to Abed, and, as he said, was willing to be with him 'til the very end. Jeff-in-the-box because Jeff's entire world is himself? Teddy Pierce and Baby Doll Shirley? No clue...

Ages on
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ages wrote: »

Anyone have theories as to why Abed chose the specific forms for each character? Brittabot and Ballerannie were explained a little, but what about the others? Troy Soldier because Troy's a loyal friend to Abed, and, as he said, was willing to be with him 'til the very end. Jeff-in-the-box because Jeff's entire world is himself? Teddy Pierce and Baby Doll Shirley? No clue...

Baby Doll Shirley could allude to her devout Christianity and therefore a reference to Baby Jesus.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

teddy pierce...because he actually stayed with abed till the end? showing he's really harmless and soft on the inside instead of the image normally associated with bears (mean...man squeezing death machines?)?)

Mim on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Baby Doll Shirley could allude to her devout Christianity and therefore a reference to Baby Jesus.

Or maybe it's the whole
    Shirley's potentially pregnant
    angle they introduced a few weeks back.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

Nah, there was a back and forth argument when that episode aired too.

I know. I just found the implications of the Halloween episode to be a lot more disturbing.

I mean, the Doctor basically says, "Anyone infected will be dead in 6 hours." This is confirmed to be true when the military shows up in the end. Annie theorizes that everyone can be saved if they cut the heat. We have a literal life or death situation here, not just for one person, but for the entire school.

Then Britta and Annie get bitten. Jeff's response is, "Screw them, I'm not going to save them because I'm more worried about my jacket."

By comparison, the fact that Abed sees the world in claymation seems a lot more in-character. Did anyone complain about muppet vision on 30 Rock?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mim wrote: »

teddy pierce...because he actually stayed with abed till the end? showing he's really harmless and soft on the inside instead of the image normally associated with bears (mean...man squeezing death machines?)?)

Teddy Pierce because his initials are TP. Like, toilet paper.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I know. I just found the implications of the Halloween episode to be a lot more disturbing.

I don't quite see why you would. The Halloween episode was entirely played for laughs. They retconned the entire episode out of continuity in all but name.

Compare it to the emotional core of this episode, and I really find quite sensible for people to distinguish between the two.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jeff also didnt seemed concerned about he himself being bit. I got the impression he just assumed everything would be ok in the end, because seriously...zombies?

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    By comparison, the fact that Abed sees the world in claymation seems a lot more in-character. Did anyone complain about muppet vision on 30 Rock?

Muppet vision was a one-off joke that was part of the larger one-off joke of "here are multiple humorous non-realistic ways that the characters on this show view the world", as opposed to "we're going to do an entire episode about Abed using stop-motion-vision as a means of avoiding confronting his real issues, and the entire group tries to help him and his delusions with therapy".

I enjoyed the episode, and don't really give a fuck about any of this, but I can at least see the argument.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    OK, see now THAT was how Community goes for the heartstrings. I loved that episode. Use genre to both bring emotional narratives to the front and simultaneously make them seem cliche and trivial, and then have an undercurrent of honest and authentic feeling and catharsis delivered in a metanarrative.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Jeff also didnt seemed concerned about he himself being bit. I got the impression he just assumed everything would be ok in the end, because seriously...zombies?

he was more worried about the cat

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Variable wrote: »

just a show though.

This, pretty much. It's just that it was acknowledged as seriously disturbed behaviour within the show, that pretty much demands that the audience should do so, too.

I think nothing so far has suggested that Abed is that troubled. Quirky, nerdy and a little "weird"? Sure. But psychologically scarred to the point of retreating into a fantasy stop-motion world to deal with his emotions? That's clearly different from what the show seemed to portray him as so far.

Now, I'm not complaining or critisising the show here. I've enjoyed the show and this episode immensely. I am just worried what will become of Abed as a character. It's one thing to think of him as somebody thinking within a very narrow and specific cultural framework. That's funny to me. I can laugh with and sometime at such a character. It's another entirely to think of him as a character who has a strenuous grip on reality. I find it hard to find that kind of behaviour funny. But maybe that's just me.

I don't feel the way you do but I totally get where you're coming from.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure I like the selective use of "oh it's just a show". Yeah, it literally is, but that sort of attitude then just makes it more difficult to actually justify relating to the show when it does get real. Unless you're just using that sort of dismissal whenever convenient.

I was using it to mean just because some of the details make a character seem a little too crazy doesn't necessarily mean he is. they wanted to fit in stop motion but still be dealing with the characters we know and love (where as I expected the whole thing to be fantasy) and this is how they made it work.

so it's 'just a show' in that not every single thing that happens will necessary have bearing on how things play out from here on.

I guess I should have said 'let's see where they go with it' or something like that because I agree 'it's just a show' is a bad argument.

Variable on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mim wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of this episode and it's really making me sad.
    Also, did Abed say his mom was Polish?

ALSO (NSFW-ish)
    Did anyone else keep seeing the portal Professor Duncan used as a ..vagina?

...I think perhaps YOU should see a therapist about that...

Also I loved it. I was thrilled with the fact that they pulled this claymation stunt...and then made it all the more poignant and real for the characters. Abed's issues with his parents have been introduced since the beginning of the first season so it didn't seem like a dangerous situation for the Abed character going forward like people here seem to think.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And yes Abed said his mom was Polish because Danny Pudi's mom is Polish.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I also think they've established in the canon that Abed the character is half-Polish, half-Palestinian (from the episode with Abed and White Abed and Vampire Abed and Don Draper Abed...forget the title atm) - I think Pierce's line is something like "I can't imagine anything worse than a 40 year-old, half-Polish, half-Arab virgin. Either way that ends in an explosion!" :lol:

a5ehren on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »

I also think they've established in the canon that Abed the character is half-Polish, half-Palestinian (from the episode with Abed and White Abed and Vampire Abed and Don Draper Abed...forget the title atm) - I think Pierce's line is something like "I can't imagine anything worse than a 40 year-old, half-Polish, half-Arab virgin. Either way that ends in an explosion!" :lol:
    That episode contains (in my opinion) the best, most understated Pierce joke in the show so far.

"If this is going to get ugly I can't be here. I'm a two striker."

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    I forgot Danny Pudi went to Marquette at the same time I did

Which means that YOU went to Marquette the same time I did. I wonder if we know each other?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    I forgot Danny Pudi went to Marquette at the same time I did

Which means that YOU went to Marquette the same time I did. I wonder if we know each other?

Oh weird, though probably not, I didn't get around much

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg