As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Cata Profession information and discussion.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Hi all.

Lets try and make this useful and not ONLY complain about how crappy inscription is now.
If you find a pattern, let us know as best you can what dropped it. If you happen to find a pattern on a vendor, limited supply or such, please mention that. Any hints on skilling up, your welcome to add.

Drops of patterns found:

Origami Slime - Found in Vashir from a male naga during the very first quests underwater. 480 skill required to learn/make its green from 480 to 490 skill.

Origami Rock - Didnt find myself but Guildie says she had it drop in Deepholm 490 skill required, green from 490-500 skill.

Origami Beatle - Unknown

Tailoring:
Patterns that use Dreamcloth are available in Twilight Highlands, Dragonmaw Orc vendor.

Enchanting:

Blacksmithing:

Engineering:

Leatherworking:

I'm an Inscriptionist/ Tailor so will comment on my results so far.

Tailoring: So far I've only fully done the Vashir zone, and the cloth drops were rather rare here, usually only from naga or other humanoid creatures. It has been said that the cloth drops in early zones is very low and thats more likely due to the mostly non humanoid creatures you fight in these zones compared to others. The drop rate picks up greatly from uldum on I have heard. I've gotten less then a dozen bolts made and I havent tried to skill this up seriously until i get more of a stockpile.

Inscription: I decided to play with this last night. I bought about 200 herbs from the auctionhouse, Heartblossom seems to be the lowest priced ones and after a little research it doesnt look like you need to bother buying the more expensive or rarer ones as there is only one new type of common pigment and one rarer pigment, all obtainable from every new herb. The higher end ones may yield better results of rare pigments but considering the state of inscription and the obvious lack of work put into it for this expansion so far, its unlikely.

I started out by making scrolls of X, got about 5 points from each as they were learnable (orange skillups). It went pretty quickly. Then i got to the Adventures Journal. This relatively cheap item is going to be probably a very nice perk to have so i made as many of these as i could before it went yellow skill, and by this time i was at about 475 skill and i continued to make these until i hit 480 as i knew i would have use for them being only level 82 so far and the xp bonus they can supply would help me anyway. At 480 i had the origami slime pattern drop for me early on and after looking at the options im glad i did, 480-490 went by and i think i got lucky only having to make about 35 origami slimes to skill up this range even if they were green the whole time. Right now the only items that grant skill are relics or expensive offhands, so im going to wait and hope i get the origami rock drop to cover 490-500. At that point the engravings are available along with lots of other receipes so will write more then.

FYI: The Adventure journal is a 4 hour cooldown one use item that grants you an hour long buff thats random. The results possibilities are:
15% increase to xp earned
15% damage to beasts
chance to proc with spells or weapons a heal
(and I think 2 more that i cant remember).
Adventurers Journal CANNOT be used at 85.

Thanks to Shryke for this:
Primer on Archeology
Ok, quick primer on Archeology:

You start off with just 4 sites in Kalimdor and 4 sites in Eastern Kingdoms. These will not appear in Uldum.
They will be only Night Elf, Troll, Dwarf and Fossil.

Any spillover fragments, even those from keystones, will go to your next project. So just use keystones whenever you can.

The next project you get is completely random. However, you will never get duplicates till you've gotten all the available projects (baring some special cases I'll talk about below). So if you are getting duplicates when you are below 525, you've gotten all the artifacts for that race that are available to you now.

Remember though, not all projects are available at all levels. Alot of the projects are skill level restricted, so some of them won't start appearing till your skill gets high enough to unlock them. For instance, if you almost exclusive do NE artifacts (pretty easy if you just stay on Kalimdor), you will be getting a bunch of duplicate commons in the 100s because some of the commons need a higher skill level before you unlock them.

As you level up, you'll start getting more then 3 fragments per looting. This will gradually increase till it tops out at 3-6 fragments somewhere in like the late 300s. It's still always 3 digs per site though. This means, at max level, you get 9-18 fragments per dig, plus a chance at keystones.

Keystones give you +12 fragments. There are no Fossil keystones. The spot to use them is just below the progress bar for a particular project. You can use between 0-3 keystones per project. The more fragments an item takes, the more keystones you'll be able to use on it. Basically, anything that takes less then about 33 will not let you use keystones. Anything between about 34-43 will let you use 1. Anything in the 40s will let you use 2. And the big rare items that take ~100+ will let you use 3.

Because you can only use a certain number of keystones per project and excess fragments spill over to the next project, you should ALWAYS use as many keystones as possible to maximize speed.

1-100: You get skill ups from looting artifacts till 100. After that, it's a grind of 5 skill ups per artifact completed all the way to 525. I'd suggest not completing any artifacts till you've hit 100 to maximize gains from looting.

300: At 300, you will open up 4 new sites in Outland. Outland sites are only Orc or Dranei.

Leveling in Outland is pretty quick since the vast majority of the spawns will be in Hellfire/Terrokar/Nagrand/SMV. You occasionally get sent to Netherstorm or Zangarmarsh, but it's not very common. With only 2 races to work on and sites pretty close together, you can quickly level in Outland and get all the artifacts for both races. (The rares for these 2 races are unlocked right from the start)

375: Now Northrend opens up with 4 more sites, bringing you to a total of 16 possible sites. Northrend has Vyrkul/Nerubian/NE/Troll sites available. More annoying to level here, especially since Vyrkul sites are BY FAR the most common, but they have very few artifacts, so you will quickly be making duplicate Vyrkul artifacts while trying to get the very rare Nerubian sites to pop up.

450: Once you hit 450, Kalimdor sites have a chance to appear in Uldum and these sites grant Tolvir fragments. These are pretty rare though. It's gonna be a grind.

The only other thing to note is that while the initial 4 races (NE/Troll/Dwarf/Fossil) have tiny projects, the rest of the races are either 45 fragment projects, or 100 fragment projects. But this means, if you lucky, you can use 2-3 keystones per item. This means they tend to level faster, as long as you are decently lucky with the keystone drops.

Anyway, getting back to how artifacts are selected, most of them will not take that long. At high skill levels, you will have unlocked all the available ones and you just need to cycle through common ones till the rare interesting artifacts pop up.

HOWEVER, not all of them are guaranteed. The 2H Troll Sword, the NE trinket and probably a few other of the nicer items are NOT guaranteed to appear. (This may or may not apply to the Fossil pet and mount, I'm not sure) They are a completely random, low chance to appear as your next project for that race. This means you can be 525, have completed all the troll artifacts available except the Epic Sword, and you will still be getting duplicate commons over and over and over again, without ever seeing the sword.

So, basically, you are NOT guaranteed to ever see the fun lvl 85 shit.

The only other thing to note is that most races don't have many items. It's very easy to get every item for Vyrkul, Orc and Dranei and all the non-rare-epics from Troll and Fossil. Most of the goodies are in Tolvir and Night Elf, with a few in Dwarf. Nerubian has only a few too, but their sites are rare to get so it's hard to get all their stuff.

So generally at max level, your gonna be grinding in Kalimdor for NE stuff and hoping Tolvir sites pop. The only thing you want that you won't find a ton of on Kalimdor is Troll. For that you'll have to hit EK or Northrend.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
azith28 on

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought there was supposed to be a new-esque crafting GUI that would show that rare/epic recipes have a chance to grant multiple skill-ups, but from a cursory glance at my DK's leatherworking panel, it didn't look like there was anything to indicate that. Did that never make it in?

I've only been playing my DK so far to get him ready for raiding as soon as possible, and he's JC/LW, so without any gathering skills to get those up, it's going to be a while before the AH prices for ore, gems, and leather hit a point where I feel like I can afford to get those skills up.

forty on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cloth drops get a bit better once you hit Deepholm, in particular there's one quest area around where you get pebble, there's aoe packs of 5-7 10k hp mobs that seem to drop 4-5 cloth per pack.

It looks like about 10 stacks of bolts to hit 500 tailoring based on wowhead

Phyphor on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote: »
    I thought there was supposed to be a new-esque crafting GUI that would show that rare/epic recipes have a chance to grant multiple skill-ups, but from a cursory glance at my DK's leatherworking panel, it didn't look like there was anything to indicate that. Did that never make it in?

I've only been playing my DK so far to get him ready for raiding as soon as possible, and he's JC/LW, so without any gathering skills to get those up, it's going to be a while before the AH prices for ore, gems, and leather hit a point where I feel like I can afford to get those skills up.

It did make it in, some orange recipes will have an up arrow and a 5 next to them. I had a few on my scribe, one that required multiple different volatiles and another that uses limited quantity white items from a vendor in twilight highlands.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited December 2010
    Adda wrote: »

It did make it in, some orange recipes will have an up arrow and a 5 next to them. I had a few on my scribe, one that required multiple different volatiles and another that uses limited quantity white items from a vendor in twilight highlands.

Okay, I must have missed the chance for multiple skillups, that changes some things... it might not be as bad as I thought it would be to level some stuff

Phyphor on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's in. It only applies to Orange recipes. You'll see a big number with an up arrow next to the recipe.

shryke on
    edited December 2010
    I guess I'll have to check again because I could swear my DK has some WotLK cloak recipes that are still orange (he's only 440 skill) and didn't have anything like that.

forty on
    edited December 2010
    I guess I'll have to check again because I could swear my DK has some WotLK cloak recipes that are still orange (he's only 440 skill) and didn't have anything like that.

Doesn't apply to all orange recipes, even some of the Cata ones.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010

It depends on the recipe. For instance, a Blue Sword I can make might be +5, but the Green Gloves that take way less mats just looks normal and is thus, +1.

Generally, they seem balanced so that the amount of materials needed is basically the same per point.

Inscription makes it easy to see this at work. A recipe that takes 1 ink gives 1 skill up, a recipe that takes 3 ink gives 3.

shryke on
    edited December 2010
    I didn't find that kind of conversion in inscription, you only had some 5 skill recipes for those requiring way over the normal mats or needing rare (rarity not item quality) components but not a one for one rate as you mentioned. Some 3 ink recipes when orange were just giving a single skill point, the quest scroll for example.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    I didn't find that kind of conversion in inscription, you only had some 5 skill recipes for those requiring way over the normal mats or needing rare (rarity not item quality) components but not a one for one rate as you mentioned. Some 3 ink recipes when orange were just giving a single skill point, the quest scroll for example.

I'm leveling an alt's Inscription right now and it's definitely holding at lower levels.

At the same time, in BS, alot of the recipes in the same range are like "20 Folded Obsidium for recipe = 5 Skill Point" vs "4 Folded Obsidium for Recipe = 1 Skill Point".

It's not perfect and it varies based on level and other mats needed and such, but generally it seems balanced around "More Mats = More Points".

shryke on
    edited December 2010
    I thought it was implied in my posts here, but those cloaks are rares, not uncommons. I definitely wouldn't expect plain old green (uncommon) recipes to give more than one skill-up.

forty on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The multi skillups are only for Cata level crafting except for Inscription which has it apply to all levels due to the 3 inks thing with glyphs now.

Opty on
    edited December 2010
    I thought it was implied in my posts here, but those cloaks are rares, not uncommons. I definitely wouldn't expect plain old green (uncommon) recipes to give more than one skill-up.

It depends. Blues aren't guaranteed to give more then 1 skill up. It seems to all depend on the number of mats needed and how many of the item will be needed and such.

Opty wrote: »
    The multi skillups are only for Cata level crafting except for Inscription which has it apply to all levels due to the 3 inks thing with glyphs now.

Or this apparently.

shryke on
    edited December 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    What? Really? That's a huge load of shit. That still leaves tons of rare recipes from the 100-450 range that are essentially worthless to craft while skilling up.
    shryke wrote: »

It depends. Blues aren't guaranteed to give more then 1 skill up. It seems to all depend on the number of mats needed and how many of the item will be needed and such.
    Right, and they're definitely the "takes a shitload of mats compared to the other things I could make" variety. Which I guess is explained by Opty's post, much to my dismay.

forty on
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For reference, I've got some mail shoulders that were claiming they'd give me 3 skill ups if I got 20 deepsea scales. By the time I left Vashj'ir I had 16. The multiple skill ups seem to be enough of a pain to make to ignore them.

Syrdon on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I noticed the multiple skill-up arrow on some of my 375 blacksmith paladin's epic recipes (the named items like Blazefury, etc).

Note - I haven't played WoW since April 2008 - they really changed a bunch of stuff!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Where is my magic dragon potion!?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Are gems gone from mining? I haven't gotten a single one.

Echo on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've gotten plenty of gems, I guess you're just unlucky.

-SPI- on
    edited December 2010
    Wow. Those have to be some interesting odds since I have about 120 obsidium bars on me. (That's bars, not ore.)

Echo on
    edited December 2010
    I haven't played my miner yet, but my friend got an uncommon gem off his first Cataclysm node.

forty on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have gotten a bunch of green and blue quality gems from mining.

MrIamMe on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How how the drop rates been looking for the green quality gems that you can't learn from the trainer? I haven't seen any yet, although I'm just barely over 450 skill at the moment.

LockeCole on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Try finding obsidian - its a nightmare.

On the other hand I have something like 300 elementium bars I can't use until my blacksmithing is out of the obsidian phase. :|

MrIamMe on
    edited December 2010
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Try finding obsidian - its a nightmare.

On the other hand I have something like 300 elementium bars I can't use until my blacksmithing is out of the obsidian phase. :|

I was bitching about this on the General WoW discussion thread.

And believe me, that Obsidium phase lasts a long time. All the way up to 500 at least.

shryke on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Con: You can only level JC on two distinct green gems for a looong stretch (curiously so if you ask me, other greens are garbage in comparison).
    Pro: People are paying out their asses for these Nightstones and Hessonites.

Panda4You on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    JCing is an absolute whore to level this time.

I'm at 500 and will probably not get more then a point a day unless I also level a transmuter.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Transmutes have NO cooldown and are an easy way for an alchemist to skill up. So I highly suggest making friends with one.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2010
    Gem prices are crazy right now. 50 gold for a green-quality gem... at the best. Some gems go for 100+.

Guess I'll just farm some ore and nag at a guild jewelcrafter instead.

Echo on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have on character mining and skinning to supply the other character with LW and JC. Have been sending the gems I've mined to him but the obsidian is worth entirely too much on my server right now so I've just been flying around hyjal with the druid and getting one or two points in JC a day from mining random gems.

Where exactly are the rest of my JC recipes though?

I think I get a new fist weapon to make soon but that's about it for crafting on the trainer.

initiatefailure on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ilevel requirement on Cata gems sure are annoying. Got some quest rewards in Hyjal, noticed that the BS sockets take trivial mats now and discovered that these early quest rewards are too low even for Cata green gems!

Arrath on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have on character mining and skinning to supply the other character with LW and JC. Have been sending the gems I've mined to him but the obsidian is worth entirely too much on my server right now so I've just been flying around hyjal with the druid and getting one or two points in JC a day from mining random gems.

Where exactly are the rest of my JC recipes though?

I think I get a new fist weapon to make soon but that's about it for crafting on the trainer.

If you don't much care how you get those skill ups, I spent from 450-475 flying around Sholozar Basin hitting mining nodes.

... and if you're JCing, you can still make epic gems from Northrend to try and push that up a bit more so you can skip Obsidium altogether to be able to prospect Eternium.

mrsnackroad on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm up to 465 in JC from the random gems I pick up while mining. All those gems are still yellow to me so I figure I'll get at least a few more point from them. I'll have to find out when I can start prospecting the middle ore so I can still make money selling the obsidium

initiatefailure on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I could do it right when I ran into the stuff so its probably 465-475ish.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Leveling blacksmithing is a nightmare. Obsidium is simply too frakking expensive right now, with too many people just selling the ore rather than farming it for their own use. (For what reason, I can't tell - it's not like there's a significant gold sink in Cata.) I've probably spent a couple thousand gold on Obsidium, in addition to what I've mined, and I've still not reached 500 (although my BS was only 425 when Cata dropped.)

Frankly I think if they just gave nodes in Deepholm an equal chance to spawn as Obsidium and Elementium, we'd be much better off. Vash'jir being as freaking huge and hard to farm as it is doesn't help, either.

Salvation122 on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hit 85 yesterday and decided to see about getting a few points in tailoring. I didnt have enough of the fire element to do more then 2 enchanted spellthreads but they got me 6 points in, and ill wait to get more before doing more tailoring. However I did notice something that has me a little dumbfounded. Tailoring has a dozen or so receipies to make dreamcloth. and at least on the trainer, nothing to make with it.

Seriously Blizzard needs to hire one person whos sole job is to come up with new profession content.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    I hit 85 yesterday and decided to see about getting a few points in tailoring. I didnt have enough of the fire element to do more then 2 enchanted spellthreads but they got me 6 points in, and ill wait to get more before doing more tailoring. However I did notice something that has me a little dumbfounded. Tailoring has a dozen or so receipies to make dreamcloth. and at least on the trainer, nothing to make with it.

Seriously Blizzard needs to hire one person whos sole job is to come up with new profession content.

Have you looked at your profession vendor in Twilight Highlands? For Horde, I found all the profession vendors in Dragonmaw Bay. Recipies up to 525, but buyable with materials rather than gold. For BS recipies its smelted bars of the highend ores.

Visskar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    azith28 wrote: »

6 actually. The recipes that use them are available on a vendor in Twilight Highlands (but not in the default phase so if you're not 84 to start the quest line, screw you!)

Phyphor on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    (For what reason, I can't tell - it's not like there's a significant gold sink in Cata.)

The ~$30,000ish cost of materials for the alchemy mount(a rare discovery itself) might qualify.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alchemy's really starting to pay off and I'm getting lucky with my transmute spec'd procs. Also the price of Truegold is crazy. Now I just need to get that Alchy mount recipe and wheeee.....

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT