As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lemming wrote: »
    It's a bad idea in general to loot villages. When you eventually take them over, you won't get as many recruits from there, plus they'll give you less money in taxes.

Gotta play the long game.

But unfortunately it is the only metric by which wars are considered won or lost.

"Okay we just took over five cities and we are crushing their armies, we are winning."

"NO WE'RE NOT WE'RE LOSING HORRIBLY YOU'RE A BAD GENERAL."

"...excuse me?"

"WE HAVEN'T LOOTED A SINGLE VILLAGE WE ARE GOING TO LOSE THIS WAR, YOU ARE NO LONGER THE MARSHAL."

MechMantis on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to have some of your soldiers wait for you somewhere if you don't own a castle/town? I need to sneak into a town to find the spy but I can't sneak up on the town because my army size is 150 (playing blood and steel).

My troops are all either Elite or Expert so I don't really want to have to disband them and start bringing them up again with fresh troops.

? There should be the option to disguise yourself and attempt to sneak past the gates, and if that doesn't work, beat the hell out of all the guards that spawn and you'll be able to wander around the town normally.

When I said town, I actually meant village whoops. So yeah, there is no option to sneak in

Cobalt60 on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I captured Ulric, he's offering me 27k to free him. Is there any way to get a Qualis out of him or should I just take the cash? I'm pretty loaded as is.

Also, did I correctly assume kings still won't ever join me AFAWK? I'm in WB PoP.

fadingathedges on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I think choosing pole arms was a mistake. On horse I can't hit anything. On foot I can maybe hit the air.

Lances are great when you're fighting on flat and slightly hilly plains.

Sword for every other place.

Haha, ahahaha. Swords are so lame.

It's all about maces, which crush through block.

Axes, that crush through shields.

Picks, that do bonus damage to armor.

Swords are just faster and have a bit more range. :P

SkutSkut on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm on horseback most of the time though so the reach is, you know, awesome.

I ran with a mace for a while but the reach was bleh. I have no idea what crushing through blocks mean.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited December 2010
    It means you still hit while they're blocking, and yeah you're going to be on horseback that's why you get a lance.

I think you can knock down too but I think that may just be maces in general.

SkutSkut on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy shit Anon, 78 hours in two weeks?!

Rhan9 on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Frei wrote: »
    I made an account just to talk about Warband.

That's right.

EatRC is my favorite mod right now. Worried that guns may imbalance things later on since I've not gotten very far on it but I'm sure it'll all work out okay in the end. Haven't had any crashes with it or anything.

What's everyone's experience with the mod so far?

Two things break EotRC in my mind. The AOE guns and the maps. The AOE guns make sieges involving the empire super dumb, as it is impossible for me as a player to actually participate in the battle without being killed in one shot within a couple of minutes, and that is with awesome armor and damage at 1/4. They are quite simply broken.

The maps just seemed incredibly hilly compared to native and PoP. Fighting the Empire was already unfair enough, but fighting up a 45 degree slope with a cavalry force is awful, and this happens on three maps out of four.

Basically I can not stand the empire in EotRC and PoP is retardedly difficult. I guess I might go back into native :(

Vic on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Holy shit Anon, 78 hours in two weeks?!

Pfff, lightweight.

118.9 here 8-)

Toxic Pickle on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Starting over with Warband is weird. And hard. I liked it better when I had my level 20-something guy with 100-dude army knocking on people's doors. Now I need to build all that back up again.

And PoP... I gotta get that for Warband. I remember running around with my Ravenstern army: a bunch of heavy cavalry and twice as many rangers. We killed elves, man. Elves.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited December 2010
    I hate the vaegirs now. I go to help Arwa out, and we almost take a city. 14 left in the garrisons. Then the vaegirs are all LOL DECLARE WAR ON SARRANIDS JACK YOUR SHIT!

SkutSkut on
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I gotta say, now that I've got my toon up to a decent level, cRPG mod is pretty fun once you move past the "worthless peasant" stage and can start getting some stabs in. I started a dedicated polearms character, just picked up the cheap crossbow, and I can get some kills on people around my level, and I can seriously annoy higher levels. I've become pretty good at piking those cavalry bastards who like to bump you to death with their armored tankhorses.

Fleeb on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the vaegirs and nords are going to be trouble to take out later on in my game

had to race them to take swadian cities first

L|ama on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I hate the vaegirs now. I go to help Arwa out, and we almost take a city. 14 left in the garrisons. Then the vaegirs are all LOL DECLARE WAR ON SARRANIDS JACK YOUR SHIT!

I'm having the same issue with those damned Vaegirs.

I took Khudan (a Vaegir city) single-handedly and got it awarded to me, but I took it away from the Khergits. Seriously guys, if you lose your city to the Khergits, you didn't deserve to have that city. Anyhow, the Vaegirs then declared war, and when I checked the Notes to see why, the reason listed was 'border provocations'.

The Rhodoks on the other hand are totally my bros. Each time my city has gotten sieged, they have charged clear across the map to come help me. Yes, they're always late because of the distance, so I have to hold off the first wave on my own, but after that they drive off the enemy and hang out to help protect me. In this last case they 'protected' me by taking Curaw from the Vaegirs, meaning I now have some friendly neighbors!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fleeb wrote: »
    I gotta say, now that I've got my toon up to a decent level, cRPG mod is pretty fun once you move past the "worthless peasant" stage and can start getting some stabs in. I started a dedicated polearms character, just picked up the cheap crossbow, and I can get some kills on people around my level, and I can seriously annoy higher levels. I've become pretty good at piking those cavalry bastards who like to bump you to death with their armored tankhorses.

I haven't played in several days, but yeah, if you stick with it for just a couple of hours, it becomes more fun. And it's not a couple of hours of just being a pin cushion. There is plenty you can do as a peasant to help out. Get a shield and create cover for an archer. Get a polearm and stop horses. Help double or triple team a tin can just to distract him long enough for someone to get the kill. It really is about teamwork.

Sir Carcass on
  • Zul the ConquerorZul the Conqueror Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After reading the nightmare stories about trying to keep lords happy when giving away fiefs (feast times a billion) I decided to get Diplomacy, even though I'm not at the point of starting my own kingdom yet. I have to say it's pretty sweet. Just got my first castle awarded to me (I'm a Sarranid vassal for now.) I like the ability to have the constable recruit and train troops; I really wasn't looking forward to trying to train enough troops myself to garrison the castle and keep my army strength up.

In other news, fighting the Khergit is annoying. Way too many dudes on horses to chase down.

Zul the Conqueror on
  • local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so the more I play the new version of PoP I realize that they made it way too fucking hard. You can't get high lvl units by freeing prisoners from someone else's army aka, no Noldor, no Immortals, no Hero Adventurers, no anything over lvl 40. Lords are running around with a bunch of fucking adventurers in their army. relations with the Noldor start at -20. Good fuckin' luck helping them out in a battle and then being able to get away afterward. In order to get any sort of knight you need to recruit the troop line from a castle, costing 500 gold for each shitty cavalry unit that then takes an eternity to lvl up to an actual Order Knight.

PoP was always difficult, but they took it from the 'sweet spot' of difficult and said "fuck it, lets crank it up by 10 levels! I'm sure these folks like slamming their heads agianst a fucking concrete wall in their spare time!"

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Lemming wrote: »
    It's a bad idea in general to loot villages. When you eventually take them over, you won't get as many recruits from there, plus they'll give you less money in taxes.

Gotta play the long game.

But unfortunately it is the only metric by which wars are considered won or lost.

"Okay we just took over five cities and we are crushing their armies, we are winning."

"NO WE'RE NOT WE'RE LOSING HORRIBLY YOU'RE A BAD GENERAL."

"...excuse me?"

"WE HAVEN'T LOOTED A SINGLE VILLAGE WE ARE GOING TO LOSE THIS WAR, YOU ARE NO LONGER THE MARSHAL."

That's why you man up and rule your own kingdom

Lemming on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm actually curious, how does one go about starting their own kingdom anyway? I have my own town but I'm obviously working for a faction at this point.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm actually curious, how does one go about starting their own kingdom anyway? I have my own town but I'm obviously working for a faction at this point.

First, you need to leave your current faction.

You can either go talk to your king and ask permission (heh) or, as usually happens for me, capture something and request it, and then use your king's refusal to give it to you as cause for repudiating your vassalage.

Then, talk to your senschal, and tell him that you're starting your own kingdom.

Voila!

Elvenshae on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Where's my seneschal? Or would it just arrive once I capture a castle?

And there are no good castle near the town I already have, aside from the one the Empire I'm in already owns and which I doubt I can take over by force. :(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited December 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Where's my seneschal? Or would it just arrive once I capture a castle?

Your seneschal is in your main hall. If you own a town, you've already got one - he's the guy you talk to in order to upgrade the town, etc.

Elvenshae on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think choosing pole arms was a mistake. On horse I can't hit anything. On foot I can maybe hit the air.

A little late, but I'm throwing my hat into the maces end of the ring, crush through blocks AND take prisoners.

There's no honor in war. Only winners, and slaves.

Xtarath on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish there was a way to I guess cheat up renown and relation points. I'd just sort of like to bypass the early game boring stuff and get into the meat of it.

Anon the Felon on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »

A little late, but I'm throwing my hat into the maces end of the ring, crush through blocks AND take prisoners.

There's no honor in war. Only winners, and slaves.

It's all about the morningstar. It crushes through blocks and does piercing damage, which ignores armour.

BionicPenguin on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish there was a way to I guess cheat up renown and relation points. I'd just sort of like to bypass the early game boring stuff and get into the meat of it.

You can use TweakMB to adjust how much relationship you get for completing tasks. I believe you can also edit renown gained from tournaments.

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2010
    Having become frustrated with Arwas plot of failure, I have edited it so I get 39million from tournies, have 888 party size and can recruit over 50 thousand mercs when they appear in a town.

SkutSkut on
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so the more I play the new version of PoP I realize that they made it way too fucking hard. You can't get high lvl units by freeing prisoners from someone else's army aka, no Noldor, no Immortals, no Hero Adventurers, no anything over lvl 40. Lords are running around with a bunch of fucking adventurers in their army. relations with the Noldor start at -20. Good fuckin' luck helping them out in a battle and then being able to get away afterward. In order to get any sort of knight you need to recruit the troop line from a castle, costing 500 gold for each shitty cavalry unit that then takes an eternity to lvl up to an actual Order Knight.

PoP was always difficult, but they took it from the 'sweet spot' of difficult and said "fuck it, lets crank it up by 10 levels! I'm sure these folks like slamming their heads agianst a fucking concrete wall in their spare time!"
    And then you go to the forums, and the posters there dismiss anyone who doesn't play on full difficulty.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've been playing a lot of Blood and Steel, and I'm noticing that the AI is much better at battles in general, but it is great at sieges. Now granted one thing the mod changes is the siege setups, giving the attackers more room to get setup and more cover. But the AI actually brings enough guys to assault the walls, picks weaker targets, and then actually takes the town or castle.

Swadia has almost been completely conquered. Nords and Vaegirs have traded Sargoth back and forth about 5 times, and Sarranids have taken one Khergit town and are really giving them the business. This mod has made the strategic warfare actually interesting.

My only dilemma now is which side to choose. I'm probably going the kingmaker route and supporting a claimant. That way you are automatically marshall and can boss guys around, but you don't have the hassle of handing out fiefs and shit.

bamjo on
  • local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    South host wrote: »

And then you go to the forums, and the posters there dismiss anyone who doesn't play on full difficulty.

Sounds like a cute little version of hell on earth. All it's missing is a Bjork song played extremely loudly for all of eternity.

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
    edited December 2010
    It was definitely hard for me early - some of that being the transition from MB to WB - but now that I'm L.23 I feel like I'm over the hump and owning shit.

Tournaments in any Sarleon city were particularly tough.

fadingathedges on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    none of my polearms couch :/

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I find that a lot of the polearms don't crouch. Makes it a little more meaningful to pick a good one I suppose.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited December 2010
    Low damage ones coach generally. Also why I don't use the ones that do coach, a bit reliant on coaching to do massive damage.

SkutSkut on
    edited December 2010
    It's couch.

Not crouch. Not coach.

Couch.

:x

Edit: And if you have advanced jousting or whatever on, you have to press X to couch.

Sir Carcass on
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So is the arcadian battle server vanilla WB, or is it running cRPG?

bamjo on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    vanilla, I don't know if Anon put it back up yet, since he had some school work to do.

Docshifty on
    edited December 2010
    I use the Manopener, which used to cooch in MB but no longer cruches in WB. Also, no more shield with it, but I still can only poke.
    :mrgreen:

I kept missing people as I've been learning to jab with it on the move, and have decided that aiming for the feet is the best bet. YMMV.

fadingathedges on
    edited December 2010
    which used to cooch in MB

This is a misspelling that I approve of.

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2010
    which used to cooch in MB

This is a misspelling that I approve of.

But only in regards to the Manopener.

And I'm glad you said something, SC, 'cause I was about to.

Elvenshae on