As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medal of Honor - Wherein we valiantly struggle to maintain relevancy against BLOPS

12345679»

• Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The patch is pretty good. At first I was suprised how little has changed. But after playing a bit you can just feel the aiming has to be a bit more precise. Not much though. I was scoring as many kills as before. I must have survived a quite few snipershots, as I noticed how few snipers actually managed to kill me. Well done EA, now for more content.
    The frustration now though, comes from watching my skill rating. I just had a match in which I went 21/11 and came in third and was docked 21 skillpoints, probably for surviving the sniperfire in an unfair manner. In truth though, playing 3 days of CoD4 must have tarnished my MoH skills.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alrighty so I've put the patch through it's paces for the last couple of hours. Here's what I've discovered so far:

Snipers? yeeeaaah, they won't be a problem anymore. In fact I don't think that people will play them anymore, at least not as much as we're used to seeing. In fact in the few hours I did play, I hardly saw any...Like...at all....you see in their quest to make Snipers not as OP'd, I think they swung a bit hard on the nerf bat and made them...well....kinda useless. Bolt Actions take two shots in close succession to kill someone, unless you land a headshot. The semi-auto (M21/SVD) take about 3-4 shots now unless you land a headshot; kinda like the Old G3, and the G3? Hahahaha....no, you'll only whip this out if the thought of tac-hammering your balls to some particle board sounds appealing. On the limited testing I managed to do with it, it seemed to take 1-2 shots to the head to kill someone and easily 5-6 shots to take someone down, making this rifle about as effective at killing as slapping someone to death by trout. It was kinda hilarious that while I was running around as a sniper, I got more kills with my pistol than with my rifle. Pistols are still as Op'd as ever.

Shotguns - No changes that I could notice.

Assault Rifles/Carbines - The only noticeable difference is that it definitely is taking more shots to kill someone unless you're rocking those headshots. Pretty much every rifle behaves like the old F2000, in where you pretty much have to dump 10-12 shots into someone to kill them. I haven't noticed any significant recoil/accuracy changes that I can see.

Machine Guns - No changes I could notice, still pretty much outclassed by the rifles.

New Game Mode Clean Sweep AKA "HEY GUYS IT'S COUNTERSTRIKE AGAIN! LETS CAMP AND WAIT FOR THE ROUND TO END! EVERYBODY TUCK THEMSELVES INTO A CORNER AND SNIPE!"

This mode wouldn't be so bad if there was more to do, but unfortunately, all you can do is only switch 3rd person cam views from members of your own team. You're treated to a bevy of info about the soldier, but the text chat overlaps with the soldier's stats which makes everything a jumbled mess.

Spawning - Still retarded, I'm still getting spawn camped on lopsided games, still getting airstriked just as often.

New bug? Maybe, new to me at least - Apparently I can't call in the guided missile (aka predator missle) if I try, I guide it down about halfway and I crash to desktop, no fix seems to be available, and I tried updating my drivers.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Snipers? yeeeaaah, they won't be a problem anymore. In fact I don't think that people will play them anymore, at least not as much as we're used to seeing. In fact in the few hours I did play, I hardly saw any...Like...at all....you see in their quest to make Snipers not as OP'd, I think they swung a bit hard on the nerf bat and made them...well....kinda useless. Bolt Actions take two shots in close succession to kill someone, unless you land a headshot. The semi-auto (M21/SVD) take about 3-4 shots now unless you land a headshot; kinda like the Old G3, and the G3? Hahahaha....no, you'll only whip this out if the thought of tac-hammering your balls to some particle board sounds appealing. On the limited testing I managed to do with it, it seemed to take 1-2 shots to the head to kill someone and easily 5-6 shots to take someone down, making this rifle about as effective at killing as slapping someone to death by trout. It was kinda hilarious that while I was running around as a sniper, I got more kills with my pistol than with my rifle. Pistols are still as Op'd as ever.

To be honest, I was kind of worried about this. Figuring out how to work snipers into a game is always tough, because they have such a propensity for ruining things. I think this is where bolt-actions will have to stay, but the semi-autos could probably use some love.

Assault Rifles/Carbines - The only noticeable difference is that it definitely is taking more shots to kill someone unless you're rocking those headshots. Pretty much every rifle behaves like the old F2000, in where you pretty much have to dump 10-12 shots into someone to kill them. I haven't noticed any significant recoil/accuracy changes that I can see.

How is this? The only thing I saw in the notes was them decreasing the close range damage on assault rifles, ostensibly to highlight carbines as filling that niche. Am I missing something?

rndmhero on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    To be honest, I was kind of worried about this. Figuring out how to work snipers into a game is always tough, because they have such a propensity for ruining things. I think this is where bolt-actions will have to stay, but the semi-autos could probably use some love.

How is this? The only thing I saw in the notes was them decreasing the close range damage on assault rifles, ostensibly to highlight carbines as filling that niche. Am I missing something?

Well, now they're less accurate when you hold the trigger down. If you fire in short bursts with the assault rifles or the carbines, you won't even notice the effect of the patch.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aye echoing the same thing. You reeeeallly get punished for holding down the trigger now. It's most apparent with machine guns now in particular as shots will just stop registering even when you e got the target in your sights. Muzzle climb is also noticeably increased as well.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, I got this because I wanted a new shooter. I've always been a moderately good FPS player.

I've never been terrible, and can usually go 1:1 or worst case 1:2 in FPS games I've played in the past.

I feel very...ripped off when playing MoH. Maybe it's just that everyone else is orders of magnitude better then me, but sweet jesus. I was going 1/13 or at best 5/11 in a lucky game.

I don't know, I guess I'm just terrible now or something. I was just getting rocked. I can never see people before they see me, people tend to kill me in 2 shots when it takes me half a clip...blarg.

Displeased.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, I got this because I wanted a new shooter. I've always been a moderately good FPS player.

I've never been terrible, and can usually go 1:1 or worst case 1:2 in FPS games I've played in the past.

I feel very...ripped off when playing MoH. Maybe it's just that everyone else is orders of magnitude better then me, but sweet jesus. I was going 1/13 or at best 5/11 in a lucky game.

I don't know, I guess I'm just terrible now or something. I was just getting rocked. I can never see people before they see me, people tend to kill me in 2 shots when it takes me half a clip...blarg.

Displeased.

Aye unfortunately MOH suffers from a severely difficult learning curve for newbies. All the maps make identifying targets really difficult so you pretty much have to carefully dart from cover to cover in order to avoid getting picked off. Also stay away from the Sniper class post patch. Unless you're rocking headshots every time, it'll only frustrate you, especially starting out.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have noticed that they add in a visual effect to help spot guys at medium to long range. When they're at a distance, their bodies actually glow golden a bit. This effect gradually weakens the closer they get to you. I first noticed it when watching my teammates through the ACOG scope.

Still won't stop you from getting raped if you're new to the game, but it's better than nothing.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Man is it fun to actually play the objective games without snipers. Oddly enough, though, it's a lot harder to push and capture points now that I can't neutralize half their team with a smoke grenade.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Man is it fun to actually play the objective games without snipers. Oddly enough, though, it's a lot harder to push and capture points now that I can't neutralize half their team with a smoke grenade.

Heh, I hear that! It's funny I actually fear the assault class more now than snipers since their rifles work better at longer range (heck, half the time they'd outsnipe me even as a sniper so it's not really that surprising)

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually I should retract my previous statement about shotguns now.

It seems they got hit by the nerfbat too, so no more 60 yard sniper shotties killing in one hit.

If you equip slugs you can indeed hit your target, but unfortunately you now require 2 hits to kill, with one hit killing only at about 2-5 feet now. And you have to, as they put it in single player, "A-Box" it. IE upper chest/head only to 1 hit kill, any other region even in that range and there is a possibility of requiring a follow-up.

So yeah! Shotguns! Useless too!

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    aarx3aarx3 Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    I feel that the new patch is rediculous. I for one love to snipe, and i was appreciative of a game that inaly realised that if you take a large sniper round to the chest, chances are, youre not going to make it. So the one shot sniper kill was in my opinion, wonderful. And think of it this way, in real life are you going to run accross a field or through the center os a street? No, youre butt is gonna be hugging the edge of a building and youre going to take it slow and use tactics. Granted, getting shot in the foot once with a sniper round might not kill you, but youre still out of comission. Not to mention the G3 and other rifles, they still take 2 shots to the head from even a moderate distance to kill someone, and im sure that ski mask those taliban snipers wear wont delect a rifle round... And hardcore on this game is a joke. Other than you lose youre HUD, its the exact same. There is no greater damage, or less health. Im just waiting for Black Ops to come out, and hoping that the game designers at infinity ward are not as retarted.

aarx3 on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    aarx3 wrote: »
    I feel that the new patch is rediculous. I for one love to snipe, and i was appreciative of a game that inaly realised that if you take a large sniper round to the chest, chances are, youre not going to make it. So the one shot sniper kill was in my opinion, wonderful. And think of it this way, in real life are you going to run accross a field or through the center os a street? No, youre butt is gonna be hugging the edge of a building and youre going to take it slow and use tactics. Granted, getting shot in the foot once with a sniper round might not kill you, but youre still out of comission. Not to mention the G3 and other rifles, they still take 2 shots to the head from even a moderate distance to kill someone, and im sure that ski mask those taliban snipers wear wont delect a rifle round... And hardcore on this game is a joke. Other than you lose youre HUD, its the exact same. There is no greater damage, or less health. Im just waiting for Black Ops to come out, and hoping that the game designers at TREYARCH are not as retarted.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think I might keep playing this game after Black Ops comes out, just because of ammo boxes constantly feeding you more ammo. Playing Sector Control, there's nothing better than laying down a constant stream of fire with an MG while defending a flag. That's something you just can't do in CoD, where ammo only comes from pickups off dead bodies.

Don't get me wrong, limited ammo makes sense when you're dealing with no respawn game modes like those in Rainbow Six or Counter-Strike. But it really doesn't make any sense when you're having players spawning back in every second.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I feel that the new patch is rediculous. I for one love to snipe, and i was appreciative of a game that inaly realised that if you take a large sniper round to the chest, chances are, youre not going to make it. So the one shot sniper kill was in my opinion, wonderful. And think of it this way, in real life are you going to run accross a field or through the center os a street? No, youre butt is gonna be hugging the edge of a building and youre going to take it slow and use tactics. Granted, getting shot in the foot once with a sniper round might not kill you, but youre still out of comission. Not to mention the G3 and other rifles, they still take 2 shots to the head from even a moderate distance to kill someone, and im sure that ski mask those taliban snipers wear wont delect a rifle round... And hardcore on this game is a joke. Other than you lose youre HUD, its the exact same. There is no greater damage, or less health. Im just waiting for Black Ops to come out, and hoping that the game designers at infinity ward are not as retarted.

If you take any round to the chest, you're not going to keep running around. And in real life, I don't assault armed enemies for fun.

I have an incredible time comprehending how you're hoping a game with dual-wielding pneumatic knife launchers, gold-plated uzis with pink heart reticles, and exploding children's toys is going to take realism more seriously than this.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Honestly, if games were 'realistic' about snipers it'd take a minute and a half to just set up on the ground. Real snipers aren't jumping back and forth, bunny hopping all over the goddamn place, and still accurately making a shot across several hundred yards.

Mind you, I don't play FPS games, and I don't have this or MW or whatever, but I hear complaints from my brother all the damn time when he's trying to snipe about the weapon shooting even a teensy bit off while he's bunny hopping across rooftops and I've gotten to the opinion snipers are retarded by extension. "Realism" indeed.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I suppose it's the "selective" realism card that gets played sometimes that annoys us. Like in this game for example. I find it hard to believe that an MP7 submachine gun would be more accurate at extreme ranges than an M249, but there you go, on the other hand pre-patch, I felt the game correctly showed what happens when big sniper rifle round hits any part of your body...ie...you gon' down son!

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I suppose it's the "selective" realism card that gets played sometimes that annoys us. Like in this game for example. I find it hard to believe that an MP7 submachine gun would be more accurate at extreme ranges than an M249, but there you go, on the other hand pre-patch, I felt the game correctly showed what happens when big sniper rifle round hits any part of your body...ie...you gon' down son!

I agree that a big sniper rifle round is gonna wreck a person in real life. But on the other hand... in real life, you have to take wind and bullet drop into account when making long distance shots. You have to control your breathing, to get rid of scope drift. You can't just bring the scope up to your eye and aim perfectly down its crosshair in the span of a second. Sniping in real life isn't easy, it's a lot of work. In MoH, it feels more like point and click. That's the problem here, and why I'm glad they're nerfing sniping. They gave the player all the advantages of sniping with none of the drawbacks. And that's wholly unrealistic.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, this was a huge waste of money for me.

I realize there is a learning curve, and I am out of practice with FPS's. But I just can't take this game. I've seen some shit that is down right laughable, and I'm not talking realism, I'm talking imbalance.

I was using the standard rifleman rifle, I got in a gun fight with another rifleman using a standard rifle. I get nothing but hits, and still die. I later find out that...as you get better, you get slightly more powerful weapons. Brilliant fucking idea.

Alternate weapons? and weapon loadouts? That's awesome. Outright more powerful weapons? Hahaha, that's a ton of fun for newbies.

Now, I unlocked the SAW, I was thinking "Sweet, I've noticed some bullets can go through cover, thats realistic! The m60 should pound through these soft walls!" Nope, my bullets bounce off while the spec ops guy I am shooting at...whose head is just barely poking out? He levels me.

Hmm...Well that is unfortunate, maybe I'll try burst firing instead of suppressing with full auto...Nope, killed by a p90 while my rounds go flying all around him.

Ok, I'll use the standard rifle. Shoot a 203 round right next to a guy, it blows up right fucking next to him. I do not kill him, and he kills me with some uzi like bullshit.

In what world do nearly point blank 203 rounds not kill you even if they land next to you...SAW rounds can't chew through clay huts but a spec ops gun can?

Not the game for me, either I am missing something, or their design of "As you kill more, you will get guns that kill better, meaning people who are already not doing well, will continue to to worse!" just isn't for me.

And my absolute favorite: I'm firing my m60 into a ally to suppress while my team mates move up. I notice a guy pretty much all the way across the map. I think, crap sniper. I bring up my gun to push him back inside the building and fall back. He full auto fires at me, killing me WITH A RIFLEMAN WEAPON, FROM ACROSS THE MAP, ON FULL AUTO.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I realize there is a learning curve, and I am out of practice with FPS's. But I just can't take this game. I've seen some shit that is down right laughable, and I'm not talking realism, I'm talking imbalance.

I was using the standard rifleman rifle, I got in a gun fight with another rifleman using a standard rifle. I get nothing but hits, and still die. I later find out that...as you get better, you get slightly more powerful weapons. Brilliant fucking idea.

Alternate weapons? and weapon loadouts? That's awesome. Outright more powerful weapons? Hahaha, that's a ton of fun for newbies.

Now, I unlocked the SAW, I was thinking "Sweet, I've noticed some bullets can go through cover, thats realistic! The m60 should pound through these soft walls!" Nope, my bullets bounce off while the spec ops guy I am shooting at...whose head is just barely poking out? He levels me.

Hmm...Well that is unfortunate, maybe I'll try burst firing instead of suppressing with full auto...Nope, killed by a p90 while my rounds go flying all around him.

Ok, I'll use the standard rifle. Shoot a 203 round right next to a guy, it blows up right fucking next to him. I do not kill him, and he kills me with some uzi like bullshit.

In what world do nearly point blank 203 rounds not kill you even if they land next to you...SAW rounds can't chew through clay huts but a spec ops gun can?

Not the game for me, either I am missing something, or their design of "As you kill more, you will get guns that kill better, meaning people who are already not doing well, will continue to to worse!" just isn't for me.

And my absolute favorite: I'm firing my m60 into a ally to suppress while my team mates move up. I notice a guy pretty much all the way across the map. I think, crap sniper. I bring up my gun to push him back inside the building and fall back. He full auto fires at me, killing me WITH A RIFLEMAN WEAPON, FROM ACROSS THE MAP, ON FULL AUTO.

Yeeeeeeup, welcome the wacky world of Medal of Honor Post patch, where Mp7s can out range m249s, M16/ak47s can out range/accurate sniper rifles, and a G3 rifle, which normally is chambered for 7.62mm, takes 6 shots to take someone down....2 to the head even!

Enjoy your stay! The wall is to your right for bashing of heads/mouse/keyboard/game controllers :(

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeeeeeeup, welcome the wacky world of Medal of Honor Post patch, where Mp7s can out range m249s, M16/ak47s can out range/accurate sniper rifles, and a G3 rifle, which normally is chambered for 7.62mm, takes 6 shots to take someone down....2 to the head even!

Enjoy your stay! The wall is to your right for bashing of heads/mouse/keyboard/game controllers :(

The patch hit consoles?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's a good question, I haven't heard anything specifically, but I don't play on xbox360, so someone will probably have to chime in with the info.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What outright more powerful weapons are we talking about? I thought the "veteran" versions are just cosmetic changes? The F2000/P90 are certainly sidegrades at best.

I guess I just don't get a lot of the hate. The whole "getting killed by someone's forehead" has existed in every shooter since the dawn of time; it's because the player camera is mounted in the model's head and not their gun barrel. I've never seen asymmetrical bullet penetration, so I have a really hard time believing thats a balance issue and not a lag/geometry issue. Explosives, both the underslung launcher and the RPG/AT-4, are pretty toned down because they are prone to such abuse in these games. You can still kill people with them, but they need to be a pretty direct hit.

G3 is garbage, though. They need to buff the semi-auto battle rifles asap.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What outright more powerful weapons are we talking about? I thought the "veteran" versions are just cosmetic changes? The F2000/P90 are certainly sidegrades at best.

I guess I just don't get a lot of the hate. The whole "getting killed by someone's forehead" has existed in every shooter since the dawn of time; it's because the player camera is mounted in the model's head and not their gun barrel. I've never seen asymmetrical bullet penetration, so I have a really hard time believing thats a balance issue and not a lag/geometry issue. Explosives, both the underslung launcher and the RPG/AT-4, are pretty toned down because they are prone to such abuse in these games. You can still kill people with them, but they need to be a pretty direct hit.

Aye, for me it's a blend of variety and function. I guess I got spoiled by MW2, where I had a literal smorgasbord of weapons and unlocks to customize my soldier, whereas here, basically the assault/specops classes with their original weapons and open tip ammo are all you really need to win the day. I'm personally hoping for more free updates, but with BLOPS already launched, it'll be hard pressed to remain on the radar of a lot of gamers...

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Aye, for me it's a blend of variety and function. I guess I got spoiled by MW2, where I had a literal smorgasbord of weapons and unlocks to customize my soldier, whereas here, basically the assault/specops classes with their original weapons and open tip ammo are all you really need to win the day. I'm personally hoping for more free updates, but with BLOPS already launched, it'll be hard pressed to remain on the radar of a lot of gamers...

Yea, I hear that. I play around with the F2000 from time to time, but other than that, the default weapons + open tip ammo is all you'll ever need, and you have that by level, what three? I like the leveling systems, but there's just not enough of a reward to care past the first few.

Also, I approve of the new thread title.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hehe, it was either that or "Help! I've been BLOP'D and I can't get up!"

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Whelp, logged in today to see only 1000 people online. Guess BLOPS made quick work of this.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

The main group of people complaining about Black Ops are people who were quickscope sniping.

Coincidence? I think not.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MOH just needed a lot more polish before release, esp. with respect to FPS slowdown and THE GODDAMN NETCODE.

Snipers were fine prepatch for most maps. You have smoke for a reason.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fired up this game. It seems a lot prettier than BLOPS and oddly runs smoother too.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    taketheblacktaketheblack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like this game. I feel like it was thrown under the bus by blops hype.

It offers a genuinely alternative experience. With a good team its almost as fun as the R6 days.

taketheblack on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got this game as an early Christmas gift from a friend and I just finished single player. It was quite a refreshing change of pace from Modern Warfare 2, and the ending got to me a little. :(

Is there a point of doing multiplayer? Or is everyone on BlOps now?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got this on sale (cyber monday) and just finished the campaign.

I thought it was very well done and the environment (Afghan mountains) felt unique and realistic. I also thought the pacing was fantastic; I had a really hard time putting the game down.

However, it felt strange to have everything called by its proper name (Al Qaeda, Afghanistan, etc), and having read Lone Survivor a year ago made this feeling more prevalent. I can't articulate exactly what the feeling was, but it was powerful; I kept thinking of what I had read in Lone Survivor (and all the other Iraq/Afghanistan war memoirs I've read).

Daemonion on