As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xavier's Institute For Higher Burning --School Thread

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Callius wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    That's good bro

In similar news I just had my essay returned, and I got a 2:1, nearly a first, which is pretty great because damn that essay was hard.

If I get a 2:1 this year overall I will be pleased I think.
    I have no idea what that grading scale means. I'm only familiar with percentage and the 4.0 scale.

2:1 is second best, first is first best (cunningly enough) basically I got a B, nearly an A (if you get my meaning), on an essay which I found really tough, so I am proud of myself.

Solar on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also Evil_Reaver, complain bro. If he's terrible and effecting your grade grab a bunch of people from your class and feel the same way and complain, you might catch a break on your current work or you might simply stop that happening for other students. Both is good and will reward desires of revenge festering within.

You wouldn't have any way to know this, so don't take this as me being all "better than you" or whatever.

But it doesn't work that way in law school. Professors teach the way they do because of tradition. They had to go through this bullshit 40 years ago when they were in school, so they're going to teach that way because they think that's the way it should be done. The Socratic Method isn't bad when professors have enough awareness to realize that you can't rely on Question-Question teaching. The good professors mix the Socratic Method with discussion/lecture because most students aren't going to be able to pick up the material otherwise.

My civil procedure professor takes it to a whole new level by actively playing games while he doesn't teach us. It's called "hiding the ball" and it's the most annoying thing ever. He honestly tries to make it more difficult by not answering questions and teaching in a way that doesn't make any sense. And to top it off, there's no way to self-teach some of the material because the case law on it is less than 12 months old (meaning, no one has written anything or done any research on it).

We have teacher evaluations every semester, but I've had law professors admit that they don't read them and they don't care what we think.

It's the nature of law school. Now, I've had some really great professors, but this semester has been especially bad. 3 of 5 professors have been absolutely worthless in class, but there's nothing I can do because "that's just the way it is."

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    2:1 is second best, first is first best (cunningly enough) basically I got a B, nearly an A (if you get my meaning), on an essay which I found really tough, so I am proud of myself.
    That's excellent man. What was the essay topic?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's excellent man. What was the essay topic?

"Assess the significance of warfare for the Carolingian Aristocracy in the eighth and ninth century"

Which was tough for me because I had never studied that period before and was only half way through the course due to stupid essay deadline dates. Quite fun though, and a good lecturer who is both knowledgeable, passionate and a great teacher, which means overall I have enjoyed this module.

And Evil_Reaver that sucks man, hope it works out for you and you pass despite crappy teachers.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    "Assess the significance of warfare for the Carolingian Aristocracy in the eighth and ninth century"

Which was tough for me because I had never studied that period before and was only half way through the course due to stupid essay deadline dates. Quite fun though, and a good lecturer who is both knowledgeable, passionate and a great teacher, which means overall I have enjoyed this module.

And Evil_Reaver that sucks man, hope it works out for you and you pass despite crappy teachers.
    Oh man, see, that sounds like a really fun essay. Though, admittedly, military history is hellaciously boring.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Oh man, see, that sounds like a really fun essay. Though, admittedly, military history is hellaciously boring.

Yes suprisingly so, though at times it can be great (for me anyway, I'm sure others might feel differently)

But it was pretty fun, despite being tough.

Solar on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I used to have the same problem Callius does. It can be nightmarish to go reference hunting for a very basic point when it's late and the deadline's creeping closer and goddammit can I just finish this sentence and get on with the rest of the project.

These days my rule for deciding whether or not something needs a reference is: If this were to be published in a journal, read by my peers from related disciplines, would any reasonable member of that audience challenge or question the validity of the point/statement I'm making? If the answer is "no" then you probably don't need to reference it.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    Yeah I used to have the same problem Callius does. It can be nightmarish to go reference hunting for a very basic point when it's late and the deadline's creeping closer and goddammit can I just finish this sentence and get on with the rest of the project.

These days my rules for deciding whether or not something needs a reference are: If this were to be published in a journal, read by my peers from related disciplines, would any reasonable member of that audience challenge or question the validity of the point/statement I'm making? If the answer is "no" then you probably don't need to reference it.

Yes that seems like a really good way of looking at it which I will now steal.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Butler wrote: »

These days my rule for deciding whether or not something needs a reference is: If this were to be published in a journal, read by my peers from related disciplines, would any reasonable member of that audience challenge or question the validity of the point/statement I'm making? If the answer is "no" then you probably don't need to reference it.
    YES!!!

Thucydides died of the plague in 430, but I couldn't fucking find a primary source that said this!!! Thucydides just says that he died (and doesn't even give a year). So, y'know what I did? Instead of saying it and citing it I just reworded two sentences.

fucking fuck fuck fuck I hate this.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So glad I only have one module which required any sort of referencing.
    I am so bad at that stuff.

In other news Dstl has the absolute worst application for ever.
    Finally finished the damn thing, and receive an e-mail asking me to resend.
    because the form was blank.
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

101 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dear Fifth Century Athens,

Stop being so fucking convoluted.

Love,
    Me~

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I am sitting in the library writing my essay which is hard

and some fucking pussy decided that because it was vaguely cold outside they would put the heating on the "scorching death" setting

So no I am writing something I do not like in horrible conditions

I can smell my own sweat just sitting here.

Solar on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just one more final and I'm done. DL, are you still leaving for that hunting trip after you're done?

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    OK this essay is basically just a glorified book review

What the fuck

I hate this

Solar on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Marth wrote: »
    Just one more final and I'm done. DL, are you still leaving for that hunting trip after you're done?

yeah, although who knows if any hunting will actually get done. game is scarce according to my dad!

then friday i get cavities filled yaaaaaaaaaay

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Paper Status: All the editing I can possibly do to it in my current state has been completed. After Natasha looks over it, I shall entrust it into His Noodley Appendage.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also Evil_Reaver, complain bro. If he's terrible and effecting your grade grab a bunch of people from your class and feel the same way and complain, you might catch a break on your current work or you might simply stop that happening for other students. Both is good and will reward desires of revenge festering within.

You wouldn't have any way to know this, so don't take this as me being all "better than you" or whatever.

But it doesn't work that way in law school. Professors teach the way they do because of tradition. They had to go through this bullshit 40 years ago when they were in school, so they're going to teach that way because they think that's the way it should be done. The Socratic Method isn't bad when professors have enough awareness to realize that you can't rely on Question-Question teaching. The good professors mix the Socratic Method with discussion/lecture because most students aren't going to be able to pick up the material otherwise.

My civil procedure professor takes it to a whole new level by actively playing games while he doesn't teach us. It's called "hiding the ball" and it's the most annoying thing ever. He honestly tries to make it more difficult by not answering questions and teaching in a way that doesn't make any sense. And to top it off, there's no way to self-teach some of the material because the case law on it is less than 12 months old (meaning, no one has written anything or done any research on it).

We have teacher evaluations every semester, but I've had law professors admit that they don't read them and they don't care what we think.

It's the nature of law school. Now, I've had some really great professors, but this semester has been especially bad. 3 of 5 professors have been absolutely worthless in class, but there's nothing I can do because "that's just the way it is."

man that sucks, my professors are all super smart and great, one was a supreme court clerk. they're also really solicitous of feedback. the only complaint i have is that two of them were kind of boring.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hooray, my physics exam was easy!

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fuck you, civil procedure. I'm glad I never have to deal with that professor ever again now that the final is over.

Fuck. You.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You know what is hard gentlemen?

Comparing textbooks when one of the textbooks is not available because some shithead has taken it out and hasn't brought it back even though it was due for a week back.

I don't know who you are

But a pox on your house you little fucker

Solar on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You know what is hard gentlemen?

Comparing textbooks when one of the textbooks is not available because some shithead has taken it out and hasn't brought it back even though it was due for a week back.

I don't know who you are

But a pox on your house you little fucker
    In October I checked out some books from the public library for my group project. I lent one to a fine gentlemen so he could look at it to help with the information for our presentation. He never came back to class. He didn't withdraw, he doesn't respond to his official school email or the personal email he gave the school, the personal email he gave me bounced, and the phone number on file with the school is disconnected. Was he killed in a car crash? Was he kidnapped by gypsies? I may never know. If he is still breathing and is attempting to register for classes, I'm hoping maybe if I file a police report they'll block him from registering until he resolves this with me. If I can fuck up the next 3 months of his life, at least that would be something.

Coinage on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    So who wants to teach me all about the Erie doctrine of when to apply state or federal laws in federal court?

By tomorrow?

And if we could also go over personal jurisdiction, federal jurisdiction, removal, and collateral orders, that'd be great.

haaaaahahahahahahahha

you're so fucked

print this out and start praying

Do you want to know why my civ professor is a huge asshole?

We didn't even start with Erie or any of those other cases.

We jumped in to "Erie Doctrine" by reading Hanna first and then we read Shady Grove. I'm assuming you haven't read Shady Grove.

That's because no one has.

SCOTUS only heard it last year.

And it completely changes how you deal with FRCP under Erie.

My civ professor is a douchenozzle and I hate him.

Yeah I squeaked by since they weren't going to give a ruling on it for ages after I was done

don't worry you won't remember any of this one year from now

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    i have books. they should go to the library.

books have words in them

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFff does anyone know a good, reputable web-school thing where I can take some math courses early next year?

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    a good, reputable web-school thing
    Unless your local community college offers online or hybrid courses, I don't believe such a thing exists. I haven't done a whole lot of research, so maybe the education from University of Phoenix, Devry, ITT Tech, etc. isn't completely worthless, but you're going to be paying out the ass for it.

Coinage on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All for profit schools are literally the devil.

Langly on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God fucking damnit I need like 6 weeks of math to get into this school. Fuck. Ing. Fuck.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the good news is, there actually ARE community colleges with online math classes

start with your local one and work your way out from there?

Quoth on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    my calculus exam tomorrow is going to gruesomely murder me

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alex just have sex with your teacher you'll be fine

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    no I don't want to

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So who wants to teach me all about the Erie doctrine of when to apply state or federal laws in federal court?

By tomorrow?

And if we could also go over personal jurisdiction, federal jurisdiction, removal, and collateral orders, that'd be great.

haaaaahahahahahahahha

you're so fucked

print this out and start praying

Do you want to know why my civ professor is a huge asshole?

We didn't even start with Erie or any of those other cases.

We jumped in to "Erie Doctrine" by reading Hanna first and then we read Shady Grove. I'm assuming you haven't read Shady Grove.

That's because no one has.

SCOTUS only heard it last year.

And it completely changes how you deal with FRCP under Erie.

My civ professor is a douchenozzle and I hate him.

Yeah I squeaked by since they weren't going to give a ruling on it for ages after I was done

don't worry you won't remember any of this one year from now

I have no doubt about that. I don't want to remember any of this.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought I would fail the science final. The teacher gave me extra time at the end of the day!

And at the end he let me burn the test.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yesssssssss

Antimatter on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got a 94 in APUSH right now cause of 2 extra points worth of extra credit.

Freaking yes.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guys that is why it is so important for your teacher to like you.

People underestimate the importance of that but it makes a world of difference when you are in a crunch.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the only teacher who I don't think likes me is my art teacher, but I'm at the top of that class so who cares

not that art class is hard by any stretch

like at all

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

People underestimate the importance of that but it makes a world of difference when you are in a crunch.

It is an under appreciated art form.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like a fire at my school has rescheduled my ECON2000 midterm.

Good thing too. Gives me some more time to study Tobin's Q.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pharezon wrote: »

It is an under appreciated art form.

It gets even better when you can have an entire department like you.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.