As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Cata Profession information and discussion.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ... and if you're JCing, you can still make epic gems from Northrend to try and push that up a bit more so you can skip Obsidium altogether to be able to prospect Eternium.
    You can't get too far off them. They go gray at or before 460 skill. I think they're green around 453 skill. What JC skill is required to prospect Elementium?

Also, what idiot dev thought it was a good idea to have Obsidian spawn only in the starter Cata zones?

forty on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote: »
    ... and if you're JCing, you can still make epic gems from Northrend to try and push that up a bit more so you can skip Obsidium altogether to be able to prospect Eternium.
    You can't get too far off them. They go gray at or before 460 skill. I think they're green around 453 skill. What JC skill is required to prospect Elementium?

Also, what idiot dev thought it was a good idea to have Obsidian spawn only in the starter Cata zones?

475 is the number for prospecting - and even if you get around 460, that's quite a bit less Obsidium than you'd have to track down before.

Honestly, I saw maybe three Obsidium nodes in Vashj'ir altogether, and thought Hyjal is probably better?

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote: »

475 is the number for prospecting - and even if you get around 460, that's quite a bit less Obsidium than you'd have to track down before.

Honestly, I saw maybe three Obsidium nodes in Vashj'ir altogether, and thought Hyjal is probably better?

Hyjal is better yes, I got a stack of Obsidium (sold for 400g woo!) in the first hour of basically just questing

Phyphor on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there a way to speed up JC token acquisition rates? It's gonna be March before I learn everything I want.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Someone have to say this : you NEED to have 475 JC as soon as you can, as it unlocks the JC dailies in SW / Orgr.

My main, Blacksmith / JC, is an ore vortex. It doesn't help that, to buy all the BS recipes you can get from Twilight Highlands, you need something like 200 elementium bars, 40 hardened elementium bars and 20 Pyrium bars.

At least the epic belts are promising me to give me 5 skill ups if i can find someone ready to shell over 7K worth of mats on it, not counting the two Chaos orbs i'll have to go compete against idiots in heroics (i'm looking at you, huntard who won the last one i saw and which i armory'd after to see that he was herb/skinner)

quaigy on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cloth drop rates in the new Cata heroics is terrible. Deadmines and SFK throw out absolute tons of cloth, but I'm lucky to finish others with a stack. I get 5-7 cloth at a time in DM/SFK and 1-3 at a time in the new ones.

Artereis on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »

Hyjal is better yes, I got a stack of Obsidium (sold for 400g woo!) in the first hour of basically just questing
    I got a veritable mountain of Obsidium in Hyjal.

Still, they should've split the spawns in Deepholm, imo, half Obsidium and half Elementium.

It just seems odd that there's so much more Elementium than Obsidium.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Didn't this happen already in WoTLK? Cobalt was found mainly in the starting areas and phased out for Saronite almost immediately.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thankfully i got my massive massive amounts of ore before the nerf. Tho with the amount of green quality gems needed especially the purple and orange ones you will never have enough of them. In fact, they are worth a lot more than blue quality gems on my server. Tho you can make a nice chunk of change with some cuts right now. Im making a killing.

Sammich on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Transmute alchs aren't that hot right now due to the prices of green quality gems.

I can buy a demonseye for 100g(and this is one of the pricer ones, it started at 50g on saturday but then I bought all of them multiple times) or transmute one for 3x nightseye which on my server go for 130g a pop. This is an extreme example due to nighteseye and hessonites being the only way to get passed a certain skill level for JC.

Its about the same for the cheaper gems though, a blue quality will go for 50g, gems to transmute it will go for 40g each and you need 3.

The best proc i've gotten with xmute master was a x2 with cata gems, I only saw an x3 in wotlk once or twice and I have multiple alch alts.

So right now its not a make/break thing to have an alch friend/alt, but it will be soon enough if you are doing any kind of volume.

Once you get to the 475jc and can start doing the dallies, assuming you pick a cut smartly, you start making cash hand over fist as usual.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well the 2 cuts ive gotten are the Demonseye that gives you +20int/+20Hit. I sell that for around 200. And its going to be a fight for that now since another JC got it as well. And the green one that gives you +20 haste/+20 hit that im selling for 300 i think it was. All greens sold. The purples im selling as well, just not as much.
    I use the green gems for the Meta Gem transmute which i sell for 500 each and they sell. I dont create fire prisms anymore. Im at 427 JC(Didnt get realm first due to dranei and needed 10 more points so i gave up at that point, next day someone else got it.)

Sammich on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I suppose everyone and their mom is getting the +Str cut and the +Stam cut huh? What are other popular cuts? Is +Mastery a decent one?

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Try finding obsidian - its a nightmare.

On the other hand I have something like 300 elementium bars I can't use until my blacksmithing is out of the obsidian phase. :|

What sucks is even once you get into using the Elementium recipes start calling for mixes of both!

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mastery is a gamble at this point I would think. Its still too new of a stat to be widely understood by the masses. Its one of those things I will be keeping an eye out for, if people are asking for it in trade and the market is constantly empty, might be worthwhile.

I don't do fire prisms anymore either, once prices normalize in a month or two, sure.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So Archaeology - is the last "race" on the list anything? I have max Archaeology and it's still grayed out for me. It almost looks like a generic archaeology tab (like a fedora and some books and picks). Anyone know what this is for?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am at 500 JC. Should I just chill here for a while?(not bother with Fire prisms) To make money, would one recommend getting a blue cut normal gem or getting a meta gem?

All the uncommon level Gems are selling for peanuts on my server. A little part of me dies when I prospect 500g worth of ore and get 60g worth of gems just to level my JC.

I want to make bank, bro. I wanna drive a range rover. I have 3 JC Tokens today. Caster vs Melee DPS gems. Blue Gem vs Meta gems. What are you guys doing?

Buddies on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So Archaeology - is the last "race" on the list anything? I have max Archaeology and it's still grayed out for me. It almost looks like a generic archaeology tab (like a fedora and some books and picks). Anyone know what this is for?
    It's listed as "Other" when I use the API to see what race it is, but besides that no idea.

Speaking of Archaeology, I discovered that there's a daily quest in Throne of Tides for Archaeologists where you give a Night Elf keystone and get a zone buff that increases damage against Naga. It was near 60k exp and 9g and I don't know if it's in the heroic version or not yet.

Also I quickly threw together a function within my personal mod that tells me which items I'm missing from each race. I've fully completed Orc and Draenei so I don't need to bother with Outland anymore.

Opty on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buddies wrote: »
    I am at 500 JC. Should I just chill here for a while?(not bother with Fire prisms) To make money, would one recommend getting a blue cut normal gem or getting a meta gem?

All the uncommon level Gems are selling for peanuts on my server. A little part of me dies when I prospect 500g worth of ore and get 60g worth of gems just to level my JC.

I want to make bank, bro. I wanna drive a range rover. I have 3 JC Tokens today. Caster vs Melee DPS gems. Blue Gem vs Meta gems. What are you guys doing?

Check the AH.

Meta if you want to level, but remember that as of right now items with meta sockets that can actually take those gems are RARE AS SHIT while everyone who wants 525 is making and trying to sell them.

If you want money try getting the str, agi, crit, int cuts. If you want serious money in a week or two start selling chimera eyes.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I know this happened in WotLK too but dammit I hate that leveling gear does not have sockets.

EDIT: I'm gonna buy a blue cut tonight; gonna check the AH first tho. If you can corner a market for a few days, you're set. But this is gonna depend a lot on your server. When in doubt, go for DPS gems (+Str, +Int, +Hit and any combination of those stats).

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The mastery gems have been jumped on by all the JCs on my server it looks like; lots of competition there.
    I seem to be, after 4 days, still the only person on server with the Deft Amber Topaz recipe. They're going for 300g a pop, quite slowly but they are selling.

If you have a transmute spec alchemist, shadowspirit diamonds are nice. I got the Chaotic recipe today (day 7 of the JC dailies) and they're going for 1250g each. Again, seems to be very little if any competition there. That won't last though.

Nightstones, as others have said, are the major bottleneck for me right now. I'm blaming that silly JC daily and the damn perfect cuts. I had to cut 5 gems today to get my 3 gems for the daily. Nightstones are 200g each at the moment...

dylman on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would stay the hell away from hit actually as the equipment seems to overflow with it.

I've had decent success with the ember metagem lately, making a few hundred gp off of each one while leveling.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    dylman wrote: »
    The mastery gems have been jumped on by all the JCs on my server it looks like; lots of competition there.
    I seem to be, after 4 days, still the only person on server with the Deft Amber Topaz recipe. They're going for 300g a pop, quite slowly but they are selling.

If you have a transmute spec alchemist, shadowspirit diamonds are nice. I got the Chaotic recipe today (day 7 of the JC dailies) and they're going for 1250g each. Again, seems to be very little if any competition there. That won't last though.

Nightstones, as others have said, are the major bottleneck for me right now. I'm blaming that silly JC daily and the damn perfect cuts. I had to cut 5 gems today to get my 3 gems for the daily. Nightstones are 200g each at the moment...

When do you start getting that "Make 3 of __" Daily? I've only done 2 Dailys so far and they both were "Go sprinkle 10 people with this dust"

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's random, I've had the sprinkle one once, and the nightstone one about 5 times :(

dylman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Speaking of Archaeology, I discovered that there's a daily quest in Throne of Tides for Archaeologists where you give a Night Elf keystone and get a zone buff that increases damage against Naga. It was near 60k exp and 9g and I don't know if it's in the heroic version or not yet.

Does this do anything besides the buff? Does it help with research or anything?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's random, I've had the sprinkle one once, and the nightstone one about 5 times :(

Sprinkle dust > make 3 gems >>>>>> go out to hyjal and farm elementals for 20 minutes to get a moderate drop rate item.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »

Sprinkle dust > make 3 gems >>>>>> go out to hyjal and farm elementals for 20 minutes to get a moderate drop rate item.

I did that one on the beta, please tell me it didn't make live...

dylman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

The elementals? Oh yes it did.

First daily i got at 475, from reading wowhead i got off easy at 20 minutes and that was chain pulling in the burning forest part of hyjal (which i now know is a phased area).

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

First daily i got at 475, from reading wowhead i got off easy at 20 minutes and that was chain pulling in the burning forest part of hyjal (which i now know is a phased area).

Glad I never did Hyjal, and sounds like I never will.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I'm quitting JC for skinning.
    Well, maybe not...

dylman on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Embersilk prices are insane. Bronzebeard is running on avg 15g per SILK. Not bolt. I saw three bolts on sale and each one was for about 50g+

I know we are making good money but ... argh.

void fires, waters, and and ablino cave fish are selling well though.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm quitting JC for skinning.

Amusingly, I actually get a LOT of elements from skinning. They added the "Bloated Stomach" thing which always has 1-2 random elements in it.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Didn't this happen already in WoTLK? Cobalt was found mainly in the starting areas and phased out for Saronite almost immediately.
    No? In WotLK, cobalt was found in the first two zones, Dragonblight, Grizzly Hills, and Zul'drak. That's quite a few questing zones worth of cobalt.

forty on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buddies wrote: »
    When do you start getting that "Make 3 of __" Daily? I've only done 2 Dailys so far and they both were "Go sprinkle 10 people with this dust"
    I wish I was as lucky.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    void fires, waters, and and ablino cave fish are selling well though.

What? Why?

Should I be fishing those up while I grind Elementium nodes in Deepholm?

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, which profs have dailies?

Cooking/Fishing obviously.
    JC has a daily.
    There's apparently Archeology ones? I haven't ever seen them anywhere. Is there a min level or skill required?

Anything else?

Also, Cooking dailies are ok enough now (no more Baby Spice :( ), but the Fishing dailies are so useless now. You get a bag full of nothing worth no money. The Dalaran Fishing Daily was cool. It was a decent source of interesting stuff and integrated well with Cooking and Alchemy and stuff.

shryke on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've hit 500 JC

It's nice to be out of Obsidium. Elementium seems much more plentiful.

What would be the best JC daily recipes to buy?

I would assume the high stam one would sell most frequently, but what else?

Endomatic on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alchemy so far has not been a good moneymaker. I sold a couple of flasks and some blue gems for a good amount over the weekend, but even that didn't cover the cost of buying the mats I needed to hit 525. I noticed that nobody had put up any treasure findnig potions, except for 1 or 2 at about 500g each, so I stuck 3 on there, and depending whether or not they sell I may start putting those up regular.

Over the weekend I was excited that flasks were selling from anywhere between 300-500g, but when I looked yesterday somebody had put a bunch up for 200g. It's really disappointing that people undercut that much when profit can be shared by all if we would only conspire to rip people off! Fortunately I didn't pick up alchemy to make money, but rather for the neat potions and (now) the mount. That said, it would be nice to recoup some of the leveling costs from buying green gems.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Most cuts are already down to 5g on my server. Fucking retards with automated addons set up to undercut by huge amounts.

(Yes, i hate automated auctions, sue me)

quaigy on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I agree. Stupid people undercutting by ridiculous amounts.

Shit, I was gone for the weekend and my sweet market on Elementium Rods went from 600g per rod to 10g per rod.

WTF people?

shryke on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    So, which profs have dailies?

Cooking/Fishing obviously.
    JC has a daily.
    There's apparently Archeology ones? I haven't ever seen them anywhere. Is there a min level or skill required?

Anything else?

Also, Cooking dailies are ok enough now (no more Baby Spice :( ), but the Fishing dailies are so useless now. You get a bag full of nothing worth no money. The Dalaran Fishing Daily was cool. It was a decent source of interesting stuff and integrated well with Cooking and Alchemy and stuff.

Arch quests are inside dungeon entrances and involve handing over the +12 items for xp and gold.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.