As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So when CAN you call someone a racist?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Come now, Yar. Any definition of "career destroyed" that includes "currently running for president" might want a bit of revision. And it's not like Michael Richards had much of a career beforehand, as the gentleman in the comedy club so aptly pointed out.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Ok, then tell me, exactly how does it work. Because although quotas may not be common, they do exist.

What other means are used to accomplish the goals of affirmative action?

You can say that "quotas arent the norm!" But that doesnt mean that they 100 percent dont exist. But the very concept of giving one race preferential treatment over another is what Im arguing, not the means in which it is done.

And regardless of how its accomplished, I stand by the fact it will NOT serve to stop minorities from being discriminated against with racially biased hiring practices. It may balance the overall scales but again its not going to do anything on an individual level. Do you really think the black guy who wasnt hired because the owner was a white racist is going to be able to take solace in the fact some other black guy somewhere did get a job? Policies which try to balance the numbers from such a large, impersonal scale arent going to do shit about the issues.

Like I said, the key is to find out the core behind these racially biased hiring practices. For example find out WHY a white guy wouldnt want to hire a black guy. And then try to address those reasons. Is it because he has seen too many rap videos and now has a twisted point of view about all black men? Is it because of crime statistics? Is it because of the stereotypes portrayed on TV and movies?

Its like if you want a gray wall, but right now its 100 percent white. So you go in and paint a bunch of black squares all over to make a checker pattern. From a distance, sure its gray, but when you get up close you realize you still just have a bunch of white and black squares, you didnt fix the problem, you just made it look nicer from a distance.

You really need to do some reading. You don't seem to understand how cultural, social, and economic institutions are inherently biased towards whites and how whiteness is constructed in a way that gives those who are "white" an automatically privileged position. Here are some places to start:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Law-Construction-Critical-America/dp/0814751377

http://www.amazon.com/Possessive-Investment-Whiteness-Identity-Politics/dp/1566396352/ref=pd_sim_b_2/002-5297072-7574422

http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Fairness-History-Affirmative-Action/dp/0195182456/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/002-5297072-7574422?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179773246&sr=8-4

Those are a start. There's a lot more out there but I chose ones that would be pretty easy for a layperson to understand, I think.

sanstodo on
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited May 2007
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Ok, then tell me, exactly how does it work. Because although quotas may not be common, they do exist.

You can say that "quotas arent the norm!" But that doesnt mean that they 100 percent dont exist. But the very concept of giving one race preferential treatment over another is what Im arguing, not the means in which it is done.

And regardless of how its accomplished, I stand by the fact it will NOT serve to stop minorities from being discriminated against with racially biased hiring practices. It may balance the overall scales but again its not going to do anything on an individual level. Do you really think the black guy who wasnt hired because the owner was a white racist is going to be able to take solace in the fact some other black guy somewhere did get a job? Policies which try to balance the numbers from such a large, impersonal scale arent going to do shit about the issues.

Like I said, the key is to find out the core behind these racially biased hiring practices. For example find out WHY a white guy wouldnt want to hire a black guy. And then try to address those reasons. Is it because he has seen too many rap videos and now has a twisted point of view about all black men? Is it because of crime statistics? Is it because of the stereotypes portrayed on TV and movies?

Its like if you want a gray wall, but right now its 100 percent white. So you go in and paint a bunch of black squares all over to make a checker pattern. From a distance, sure its gray, but when you get up close you realize you still just have a bunch of white and black squares, you didnt fix the problem, you just made it look nicer from a distance.

You really need to do some reading. You don't seem to understand how cultural, social, and economic institutions are inherently biased towards whites and how whiteness is constructed in a way that gives those who are "white" an automatically privileged position. Here are some places to start:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Law-Construction-Critical-America/dp/0814751377

http://www.amazon.com/Possessive-Investment-Whiteness-Identity-Politics/dp/1566396352/ref=pd_sim_b_2/002-5297072-7574422

http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Fairness-History-Affirmative-Action/dp/0195182456/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/002-5297072-7574422?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179773246&sr=8-4

Those are a start. There's a lot more out there but I chose ones that would be pretty easy for a layperson to understand, I think.

So, basically what you're saying, sans, is that (to go back to the race analogy...heh, homonyms) all the races are unfair, so trying to give runner D a balancing advantage is fair, because he's running uphill, too, as are all people who look like runner B and D.

That makes sense, to me.

Ultimately, AA doesn't seem like a terribly effective solution, at minimum, but it does seem to be the best we've got at the moment, so we might as well go with it until more fundamental causes for racial discrimination can be addressed.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • roastghostroastghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I do think that not understanding the dominant language is a problem, and that people should be strongly encouraged to learn it, maybe by better access to classes. I don't think it's a fault or the result of laziness.

Not speaking english does restrict employment opportunities, social circles and integration. Also, I'm sure people have seen situations where the men and kids in a household from a traditionally "oppressive" background can speak english, but the mother can't and only has friends within her own cultural group. That's never sat well with me, mostly because the daughters seem strikingly more open-minded and free in comparison. I know there's more factors at play there than simply being able to speak to native women, but still.

So I think "learn English or GTFO" is a pretty shitty attitude, but that wanting everyone in a country to know the dominant language is itself not racist.

Back to the question, plenty of people make (reciprocated) matey jokes about their friends' races and it's sometimes difficult to know when they've crossed a line. I've seen some huge rows that precipitated when someone made one joke too many. Some of these comments do stem from racism. However, I think it's easy for affluent, educated people to hear the casual way racially charged words are slung around in certain areas and miss the fact that there's insensitivity rather than malice behind them. They're probably doing more harm by nervously crossing the street to get away from a young black guy. Or not bothering to get to know the new Indian family ever though they're on kidney-donating terms with the rest of the street. Or whatever. I just see a lot of people frowning at scalllyish teenage lads who actually count more ethnic minority people among their closest friends the frowners can name (LOLZ, hyperboley) and it makes me think

Legitimately criticisism of culture and racial intolerence get confused to much, but I think it's safe to accuse someone of racism if they're showing inconsistancy toward different racial groups or speaking explicitly about racial superiority, as in the OP. Less substantial accusations make me edgy. E.g. I don't like it when proposals on immigration are immediately branded racist. They should be discussed on their own merits (or lack therof :P )

roastghost on
  • taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    roastghost wrote: »
    I do think that not understanding the dominant language is a problem, and that people should be strongly encouraged to learn it, maybe by better access to classes. I don't think it's a fault or the result of laziness.

Not speaking english does restrict employment opportunities, social circles and integration. Also, I'm sure people have seen situations where the men and kids in a household from a traditionally "oppressive" background can speak english, but the mother can't and only has friends within her own cultural group. That's never sat well with me, mostly because the daughters seem strikingly more open-minded and free in comparison. I know there's more factors at play there than simply being able to speak to native women, but still.

So I think "learn English or GTFO" is a pretty shitty attitude, but that wanting everyone in a country to know the dominant language is itself not racist.

Just a funny story I heard somewhat related to this. A lot of the shops in the (I think it was) Asian parts of town around here used to get horrible response times to any sort of emergency calls. The problem? The emergency responders couldn't read most of the signs, as they were not in English. Supposedly a decent stink was raised when they started demanding that the signs be in English.

taeric on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    taeric wrote: »

Just a funny story I heard somewhat related to this. A lot of the shops in the (I think it was) Asian parts of town around here used to get horrible response times to any sort of emergency calls. The problem? The emergency responders couldn't read most of the signs, as they were not in English. Supposedly a decent stink was raised when they started demanding that the signs be in English.

I assume these are the privately-owned signs. Did it occur to the emergency responders that they might have gotten better results if they had requested that the signs be bilingual for safety reasons? Seems to me that walking into an ethnic neighborhood and saying, "You there! Take down that moon language!" is destined for failure.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This question of whether you should learn English if you go live in America is an interesting one.

I'm an immigrant, I'm learning the local language. Something I've seen in my home country, and here, is that if you don't speak the language you are MASSIVELY disadvantaged. I think immigrants should be pushed/encouraged/assisted to learn the local language. Not some lazy 'Learn English or get out' rhetoric, but real help and perhaps some pressure. After all, it's definitely in your best interests.

Just to muddy the waters, am I right that the USA doesn't have an official language? Yeah, English is overwhelmingly common, but not official?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Less substantial accusations make me edgy. E.g. I don't like it when proposals on immigration are immediately branded racist. They should be discussed on their own merits (or lack therof :P )
    I absolutely agree that immigration is its own debate separate from racism. However, I think they keep getting mixed up in the discourse because it's hard not to notice when a party that theoretically supports free trade and the unimpeded movement of labor and capital ("demand creates its own supply" and all that hooha) has a massive allergic reaction to the free movement of labor when it happens to come from certain parts of the world. (Conversely it's also hard not to notice when the same people who march against globalism and sweatshops in other countries take to the streets to support the right of minorities to work for sweatshop wages in this country.)

So yeah. Race has a way of insinuating itself into all sorts of debates that in an ideal world would be completely unrelated - which is why it's so important that it be dealt with, and why I react so strongly against people who pop into discussions like these only to say "gee whiz hey guys i'm colorblind why are we talking about this unimportant old fashioned issue instead of my pet issue #471". It's not just insultingly belitting, it betrays a rather pitiable ignorance.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Less substantial accusations make me edgy. E.g. I don't like it when proposals on immigration are immediately branded racist. They should be discussed on their own merits (or lack therof :P )
    I absolutely agree that immigration is its own debate separate from racism. However, I think they keep getting mixed up in the discourse because it's hard not to notice when a party that theoretically supports free trade and the unimpeded movement of labor and capital ("demand creates its own supply" and all that hooha) has a massive allergic reaction to the free movement of labor when it happens to come from certain parts of the world. (Conversely it's also hard not to notice when the same people who march against globalism and sweatshops in other countries take to the streets to support the right of minorities to work for sweatshop wages in this country.)

So yeah. Race has a way of insinuating itself into all sorts of debates that in an ideal world would be completely unrelated - which is why it's so important that it be dealt with, and why I react so strongly against people who pop into discussions like these only to say "gee whiz hey guys i'm colorblind why are we talking about this unimportant old fashioned issue instead of my pet issue #471". It's not just insultingly belitting, it betrays a rather pitiable ignorance.

Actually, it's fairly amusing, because you pretty much foreshadowed this would happen with your first post: "Schrodinger, I'm very upset that you're wasting our time talking about "racism" instead of the obviously much more important issues that I, a white guy, am interested in."

Schrodinger on
    edited May 2007
    jacobdamus sees all and knows all

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    On the language and integration thing, I think it stems largely from people immigrating not because they love a culture, but because they want money.

I think you'd lose many race issues if they weren't badges for culture wars.

Not all, of course.

Incenjucar on
  • taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    I assume these are the privately-owned signs. Did it occur to the emergency responders that they might have gotten better results if they had requested that the signs be bilingual for safety reasons? Seems to me that walking into an ethnic neighborhood and saying, "You there! Take down that moon language!" is destined for failure.

As much as "You there! Take down that moon language!" made me laugh, I seriously doubt that is how it happened. I was just relating a somewhat funny story, so I didn't care much about the details. My understanding was that they said the address had to be in English. The name of the store could still be in whatever the desired language was. Again, just my limited understanding, as I didn't exactly follow the story, just had it explained to me by a friend.

taeric on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I've studied consttitutional law and I'm here to clarify that quotas are illegal when talking about higher ed admissions and is very very frowned upon in the corporate world.

Okay a couple things. I've studied consttitutional law and I'm here to clarify that quotas are illegal when talking about higher ed admissions and is very very frowned upon in the corporate world.

And "solace" has nothing to do with it. Getting at the root causes is fine but then the government will start limiting expression and so forth so that's very dangerous territory. However, if we help minorities that we have taken advantage of in the past, then gradually people will see that one race is just as capable or incapable as another.

You also seem to infer that someday we will get to a point where racism won't exist in its current form. Sorry, not going to happen. Skin color is the first thing one notices about a person and it's impossible not to make subconscious assumptions based on that. The most one can do is try to recognize these internal biases and correct them.

This is also applicabe on a societal level since society consists of... people.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »
    This question of whether you should learn English if you go live in America is an interesting one.

I'm an immigrant, I'm learning the local language. Something I've seen in my home country, and here, is that if you don't speak the language you are MASSIVELY disadvantaged. I think immigrants should be pushed/encouraged/assisted to learn the local language. Not some lazy 'Learn English or get out' rhetoric, but real help and perhaps some pressure. After all, it's definitely in your best interests.

Just to muddy the waters, am I right that the USA doesn't have an official language? Yeah, English is overwhelmingly common, but not official?
    Yeah, no official language here. Personally, I do think that learning the language is a good deal. But if an area is very much okay with you not knowing english... there's no real reason to learn it, is there? I mean, my family could have stayed in Turner's Falls and spoken Polish, but my Grandpa decided he'd make more money knowing english. If you're doing fine in your native-language speaking area, more power to you.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, no official language here. Personally, I do think that learning the language is a good deal. But if an area is very much okay with you not knowing english... there's no real reason to learn it, is there? I mean, my family could have stayed in Turner's Falls and spoken Polish, but my Grandpa decided he'd make more money knowing english. If you're doing fine in your native-language speaking area, more power to you.

...Except that you are woefully unprepared should, say, the economic situation in your area change for the worse and you need to move.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited May 2007

...Except that you are woefully unprepared should, say, the economic situation in your area change for the worse and you need to move.

Well, yes. Like I said, my family sure as hell didn't stick to Polish, because they wanted out of Turners Falls. It should be easy to learn whatever language is dominant in your country. It's also prudent to. But you're only obligated to learn the language you need to do what you want to do. And sometimes, English isn't necessary.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Well, in honesty, I think that failing to learn English does a real disservice to the immigrants and citizens who don't learn it. At the same time, I'm not really all that comfortable with what feel like jingoist proclaimations of English Our National Language and the whole English or GTFO movement.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Well, in honesty, I think that failing to learn English does a real disservice to the immigrants and citizens who don't learn it. At the same time, I'm not really all that comfortable with what feel like jingoist proclaimations of English Our National Language and the whole English or GTFO movement.
    I don't think it does them a disservice necessarily. There are large communities that function to great success in other languages, and there have always been.

Yar on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    I don't think it does them a disservice necessarily. There are large communities that function to great success in other languages, and there have always been.
    I agree in certain contexts. I grew up in New Mexico, and there were certainly families there that had been doing fine in their Spanish-speaking communities for several hundreds of years. It's just madness to wade into those communities and demand that they change their ways to suit some dude in Nebraska who finds English-only policies quite suitable to his tastes.

But, yeah, the lack of English in some of these communities really does limit the opportunities of some of the people to succeed outside of their increasingly diminishing groups, and the very lack of easy interaction with most of the rest of the country can be a blight in and of itself.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited May 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    I agree in certain contexts. I grew up in New Mexico, and there were certainly families there that had been doing fine in their Spanish-speaking communities for several hundreds of years. It's just madness to wade into those communities and demand that they change their ways to suit some dude in Nebraska who finds English-only policies quite suitable to his tastes.

But, yeah, the lack of English in some of these communities really does limit the opportunities of some of the people to succeed outside of their increasingly diminishing groups, and the very lack of easy interaction with most of the rest of the country can be a blight in and of itself.

That's my major problem with it, really. It means that if you want to leave a non-english speaking area, it can be very hard, because there's very little there that can prepare you for the larger community. It's fine if you're happy in the community, but if you're 18 and want to leave to make your way in the world, it seems like it would suck. Of course, my family's last experience was in 1930, so it might be less of an issue now.

durandal4532 on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I think people should maek an effrot to integrate somewhat. I'm willing to accept that this may take a generation or two. However much more than that i see it as willfully not integrating which kinda bugs me.

nexuscrawler on
  • ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I think people should maek an effrot to integrate somewhat. I'm willing to accept that this may take a generation or two. However much more than that i see it as willfully not integrating which kinda bugs me.

I agree with the sentiment of your statement, but I also think we need to be careful when we talk about "integration" to realize that it's a two-way street, and that the USA's history of immigration and assimilation isn't nearly as rosy as we'd like to believe.

What looks on the surface from one perspective to be "willfully not integrating" could in fact be an immigrant community becoming insular to protect itself against subtle and not-so-subtle racism and rejection by the "native" community.

Elaboration: in my experience, those who point out others' "willfull non-integration" often have made absolutely no effort to reach out to the "non-integrating" community in the first place, thus contributing to an unwelcome atmosphere resulting the noted non-integration.

Zalbinion on
    edited May 2007
    I would like to present this sample to this discussion:

Asian Prom:
    80011x17copy.jpg

Note: This is a UNIVERSITY ORGANIZATION that holds this (there's also a goth prom and a gay prom around here... oy). As such, the people in charge of this are not only English speaking, but fairly well educated.

They still choose to seperate themselves in an arbitrary manner (though, to be frank, that it's Asian and not Hmong-only, is impressive, yet all the more wrong, at the same time).

I can't provide much detail, since I come from another area. My only real awareness in this regard is that my bluntly racist white coworker is happily married to a Hmong woman, and that there are Hmong forced-prostitution rings that sell 12 year old ass with the aid of community isolation.

Incenjucar on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can sort of understand the Gay Prom, but still think it's stupid because segregating gay people isn't going to solve the underlying problem of homophobia. But I suppose some areas of the country the reaction to gays dancing at the normal prom would be too violent and the local law enforcement wouldn't bother to stop it.

As for the goth and asian proms...

What the hell?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Everyone's a racist. If they deny it, they are lying.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
    edited May 2007
    People in this area really really love to segregate themselves, even though the racism here is mostly along the lines of tasteless jokes.

Of course I'm racist, I'm a hybrid.

Anyone who can qualify as having a race may as well be royalty.

Incenjucar on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know anything about the above group, but I have a hunch that if a white couple wanted to go in, they would probably let them. They might give you a funny look or something, but they would probably just assume that you were friends with someone there. When I was attending college, I usually had a bunch of Asian groups try to push their events on me, and I would usually throw them away. No idea what goes on there.

I'm guessing that these clubs probably have more to do with culture than race. Like if a white anime fanatic wanted to join the Japanese club, I doubt they would stop him. And of course, no one would ever complain about more culturally oriented events, like if this was a Jewish prom, Christian Prom, Mormon Prom, Polish Prom, etc.

One of the more awkward moments I had in college was during my freshman year, when an Asian guy approached me out of the blue and asked me point blank, "Hey, let me ask: Or are most of your friends white, or are most of your friends Asian?" Very uncomfortable.

Schrodinger on
    edited May 2007
    "Asians" do not share a single culture. In many cases, if you confuse a Japanese and a Chinese person, they will be rather insulted.

"Asian" is the (East Asian?) equivalent of "White."

Incenjucar on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    "Asians" do not share a single culture. In many cases, if you confuse a Japanese and a Chinese person, they will be rather insulted.

So...are you chinese or japanese?

_J_ on
    edited May 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

Technically I'm Mongolian.

Incenjucar on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Chipanese?

I wish I was Chipanese.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

Technically I'm Mongolian.

Like the Wok. Neat.

_J_ on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Demerdar wrote: »

"Shot that never misses" fallacy.

ViolentChemistry on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I believe that if a black man and a white man walk into a job with the same degrees and experience the chance of a callback should be the same for both, with race not mattering at all.

You know, you always hear this example when people talk about racism, of equally qualified people applying for a job and race coming into play. I honestly want to know how often two candidates are so rigidly similar in experience, education, professional manner, and having a god damn personality that it actually warrants this sort of comparison.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    DVG wrote: »
    I believe that if a black man and a white man walk into a job with the same degrees and experience the chance of a callback should be the same for both, with race not mattering at all.

You know, you always hear this example when people talk about racism, of equally qualified people applying for a job and race coming into play. I honestly want to know how often two candidates are so rigidly similar in experience, education, professional manner, and having a god damn personality that it actually warrants this sort of comparison.

I hear it happens all the time to racists, since I always see those guys bumbling around groaning about how everything "tuk rrr jorbs!" and such.

ViolentChemistry on
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Demerdar wrote: »

"Shot that never misses" fallacy.

I've never heard of anyone coming out of an unconscious bias test without some form of statistically significant racial bias. If anyone has, please tell me.

sanstodo on
    edited May 2007
    DJ Pho Real

lol

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am not a racist.

JohnnyCache on
    edited May 2007
    I am not a racist.
    Your avatar shows a clear bias in favor of scary ugly screaming bearded white men.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am not a racist.
    Your avatar shows a clear bias in favor of scary ugly screaming bearded white men.

That's not a white man - that's a texan.

JohnnyCache on