As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wedding Cheese [chat]

• BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just Cause 2 75% off today

must... resist... temptation...

Bama on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I may have become a chemist on accident
    LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THESE SOLUTIONS OKAY!!!!

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Ugh. This kitty is in heat and has expectations of me I'm just not going to carry out.

Go away, kitty!

Christ I remember that happening the first year we had our cats, before they were fixed.

We had to shut them in seperate rooms (we have a boy cat and a girl cat) and the boy cat shredded a huge area of carpet trying to tunnel under the door, or something.

Luckily we only have female cats, but the one is especially persistent in following me and meowing and chirping and climbing on me and just go away cat I am petting you and that is it

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    what about monarch butterfly migration

I'm not arguing for genetic memory mind, the butterfly stuff is just fascinating and I want to see a geek opine on it

that is a much better example, and I know i saw some research on it

hold on

Arch on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Okay, so it is just words that are messing you/me up then.

You can accept that a creature knows how to do some things without being trained on how to do them, but you do not want to call it memory, even though these rote responses (like the fucking crazy dances the birds of paradise do) require some level of brain activity to recall them, even if its not from a conscious place.

No, we do not want to call it memory because it is due to something that is entirely unlike memory, simple as that

also you seem to be implying that you think inheritance of acquired characteristics (look up lamarck) is a thing

I am in no way defending Assassin's creed's level that they took it, and I sure as shit am not defending Lamarck-style genetics in any way whatsoever.

I am just saying that there are some things, NOT related to parent but perhaps species or regional evolution over a very VERY long time that lend themselves to pre-aquired, NON-physical inheritance of ability. Some of which can be hauntingly complex (again, see birds of paradise). These things are recalled by the performer of them as they are needed.

This is not what is happening in Assbro at all, but it is fascinating, and I am sure was part of the cornerstone that they used to craft their plot about aliens and the garden of eden and lolconspiracy.

yeah I'm not talking about asscreed

also there's quite a few posts up there for example, birds of paradise learn that stuff

and, no, I don't think there's no such thing as pre-acquired non-physical inheritance of an ability I'm pretty sure that's impossible

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, so it is just words that are messing you/me up then.

You can accept that a creature knows how to do some things without being trained on how to do them, but you do not want to call it memory, even though these rote responses (like the fucking crazy dances the birds of paradise do) require some level of brain activity to recall them, even if its not from a conscious place.

No, we do not want to call it memory because it is due to something that is entirely unlike memory, simple as that

also you seem to be implying that you think inheritance of acquired characteristics (look up lamarck) is a thing

I am in no way defending Assassin's creed's level that they took it, and I sure as shit am not defending Lamarck-style genetics in any way whatsoever.

I am just saying that there are some things, NOT related to parent but perhaps species or regional evolution over a very VERY long time that lend themselves to pre-aquired, NON-physical inheritance of ability. Some of which can be hauntingly complex (again, see birds of paradise). These things are recalled by the performer of them as they are needed.

This is not what is happening in Assbro at all, but it is fascinating, and I am sure was part of the cornerstone that they used to craft their plot about aliens and the garden of eden and lolconspiracy.

no way man.

i don't care how many of your ancestors were awesome at throwing a rock at a rabbit and having dinner. You're not just going to "remember" how to do it because it has been done for countless generation.

Now on the other hand could you be compelled to hurl a rock at a rabbit when you see both a rock and a rabbit as a result of the action playing such an important role in so many bodies?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Just because there are floaty nucleotides in AC, does not mean AC uses genetics in any real way.
    It is purely made up bullshit.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We have a new guy who's job is to improve process and actually make the sales people accountable. He just put a spray bottle full of water on my desk and permission to spray sales people doing something dumb. This man is growing on me.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2010

its okay i forgive you

[crosses out another name on the list of biologists who were swayed by chemistry and her wiles]

Arch on
    edited December 2010
    I would like to point out that everyone arguing against Syndalis right now, is also arguing against evopsych. Please remember this next time you also spout evopsych bs if you ever feel the need to!

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, have a link on the whole birds of paradise learning the dance from a successful male thing? Would like to read about that.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »

its okay i forgive you

[crosses out another name on the list of biologists who were swayed by chemistry and her wiles]
    I'm moving into physics land too!
    I left my uh, previous lab, for reasons you probably remember.

edited December 2010
    although important side note
    lamarck wasn't totally wrong
    that was one of the sadder anecdotes of science
    poor lamarck ):

moral of the story: fuck up once, be mocked forever
    we didn't know about epigenetics then
    whoooooops

addendum to moral: You might not know you fucked up, or, you might not even have objectively fucked up, because you simply drew the most logical conclusion from the evidence that was availible

but you will still be mocked forever

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Okay, so it is just words that are messing you up then.

its because the words are intrinsically important syndalis.

instincts are NOT memories, and genetic memory ala ass creed is a silly idea that is demonstrably false

and the modern day dude being an awesome assassin because his parents were is dangerously lamarck

but it is a game so whatever

oh sure arch

lamarck is your best bud

he is gonna stretch your tallness genes out because you spend so much time on your tippie-toes

but get into a corner

and you turn viciously on lamarck

villain

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AC2
    My brother just sent me this text:
    Dude, the bible was written by men who met aliens and thought they were a god. All the scriptures are legitimate though religion may not be.

And I was like "Hey, we were just talking about that in [chat]!

Silas Brown on
    edited December 2010
    Also, have a link on the whole birds of paradise learning the dance from a successful male thing? Would like to read about that.

Yeah hold on, trying to find a non-technical one

Arch on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Just Cause 2 75% off today

must... resist... temptation...

Just curious, but have you been onto GoG today?

Cinders on
    edited December 2010
    also yes i love lamarck

i want his ideas to be real

Arch on
    edited December 2010
    Oh for fuck's sake. He's like "Wait, I was being serious."

Silas Brown on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    We have a new guy who's job is to improve process and actually make the sales people accountable. He just put a spray bottle full of water on my desk and permission to spray sales people doing something dumb. This man is growing on me.

It's "whose"!!

*sprays Thomamelas with water spritzer bottle*

emnmnme on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010

I've met people who think that.

God being a "light on the mountain," etc.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's "whose"!!

this approach sounds like it would just piss people off

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yeah, with that last sentence I was thinking "Wait is he joking, or..."

Rear Admiral Choco on
    edited December 2010
    Jacob, how much babysitting does the patching process for STO need? I'm thinking of using my lunch break to pick the game up and start the patch so it's finished by the time I get home.

Silas Brown on
    edited December 2010
    also where is that butterfly stuff Arch I don't got all day

*spritz*

Hakkekage on
    edited December 2010
    by the way I don't think asscreed actually does all lamarck - desmond isn't a natural assassin

they just use the "genetic memory is actually all your ancestors' memories ever, stored in your genes. Alright? This is silly, but we're gonna use it" thing

but when you relive your memories you learn that stuff

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited December 2010
    OKAY HERE I GO TO TAKE MY EXAM

(formulas in head check, knowledge of all banal equilibria check, two calculators check, two pencils check)

BYE GUYSSSSSSSSSS
    wish me luuuuuuck

edited December 2010
    Most dudes, when they get experimental in college, just kiss other dudes.

My brother becomes a PUA and joins an alien cult.

Silas Brown on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Jacob, how much babysitting does the patching process for STO need? I'm thinking of using my lunch break to pick the game up and start the patch so it's finished by the time I get home.

I don't remember it needing any - after I installed, I just fired it up and let it do its thing. It took me about ninety minutes on a decent connection.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2010
    eh, alien cult is as good as any other cult

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also today I had my annual performance review and was put in the highest possible banding. It needs to be approved by a Director because in theory nobody should be getting that. Feeling pretty good about that.

It's probably bad that my first thought about it was that the performance review bandings are the main consideration when deciding where the redundancy axe will fall, so this means I'm pretty much safe if the worst happens (although we have been repeatedly assured that it won't and we seem to have weathered the rough patch where huge groups of people were let go).

japan on
    edited December 2010

*spritz*

It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

Arch on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought people weren't born with the knowledge to have sex inborn. Like there have been cases of religious couples visiting doctors and finding out they're doing it wrong.

Or is this one of those 'little known facts!'?

Leitner on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's "whose"!!

have you ever worked with salespeople

it is like herding excitable ten year olds with access to an unrestricted supply of sugar

japan on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Mori Mori Mori wait

if you're doing this, PM me with a good email address and I'll send you a ten-day trial code

set that up and then activate it with your account and you'll have forty days right off the bat, and you'll get a couple special temp powers, and I'll get an awesome new crewman

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What does one do in STO? I'm assuming there are ships and phasers, and perhaps beaming of things in a vertical direction.

Are there raids, like a bunch of cadets standing in a circle firing their lasers?

Genuinely curious.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited December 2010

*spritz*

It has something to do with them being able to use the sun as a compass, but i got distracted by other ethology research instead

*spritz spritz*

bad scientist, very bad! Don't make me get out the newspaper

*spritz*

Hakkekage on
    edited December 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    I thought people weren't born with the knowledge to have sex inborn. Like there have been cases of religious couples visiting doctors and finding out they're doing it wrong.

we're not born with the knowledge of how but we're sure as hell born with the desire to try

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited December 2010
    japan wrote: »

It's "whose"!!

have you ever worked with salespeople

it is like herding excitable ten year olds with access to an unrestricted supply of sugar

that's all the drugs/5 Hour Energy they typically do

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

I think most people could figure it out, but if your training in life is telling you thats a horrible thing, you might do it wrong. Mostly thats been a joke since catch 22 days, probably earlier.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.