Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Wedding Cheese [chat]

15051525456

Posts

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have never understood the internet's hard-on for Putin.

    Captain Carrot on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

    smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

    I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

    Those beliefs have, through time and historical accident, gained a certain amount of acceptability. Depending on your inclination, this is somewhat unfortunate.

    But you don't make the situation better by throwing up your hands and deciding to accord every idiotic belief respect and equal time. You definitely don't want to expand the idiocy privilege any wider than you have to; you want to keep cracking down on that shit.

    "Everybody has the right to worship their crystal alien gods, man" is a recipe for stupidity.

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

    smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

    I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

    Cept one is indoctrinated into society and the other is a person willingly and individually making the choice to be loony.

    I think saying that generally, christians et al haven't made an individual choice about their beliefs is being down on them more than the alien cult dude

    i am much more willing to accept

    "i come from a long family of christians who celebrate christian traditions and holidays that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember."

    than

    "i came up with like. . this theory man."

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    it is interesting that when someone says they believe in alien gods you're all "make him see reason" but when someone says they believe in regular old gods doing that is bad

    unless he's going to drink the spirit juice to pierce the veil just try to make him keep it more to himself

    man that is completely wrong-headed

    Old timey religions that have survived to this day have a certain amount of acceptability due to age and historical accident. There's no getting around this.

    However, the take home message is not "therefore when some dullard starts spouting hippie-dippy alien crystal nonsense that would need 3 rewrites just to be a below-average episode of Stargate, treat him with respect and dignity because hey it's all cool man"

    it's

    "berate his stupid ass until he cries". Don't expand the privilege accorded to certain schools of sloppy thought to everything. That's just insane.

    No.

    old timey religions are every bit as loony as this. I don't care if it's old bullshit or new bullshit. So the same courtesy should be extended to people who believe either thing.

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    what's not to get about 30 rock

    nexus is clearly a lizard person

    DON'T QUESTION ME I HAVE A RIGHT TO MY BEAUTIFUL SNOWFLAKE BELIEFS

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey Mori, you might just point out that Von Daniken who was the idiot who popularized the idea was convicted of fraud a few times.

    Thomamelas on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

    smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

    I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

    Those beliefs have, through time and historical accident, gained a certain amount of acceptability. Depending on your inclination, this is somewhat unfortunate.

    But you don't make the situation better by throwing up your hands and deciding to accord every idiotic belief respect and equal time. You definitely don't want to expand the idiocy privilege any wider than you have to; you want to keep cracking down on that shit.

    "Everybody has the right to worship their crystal alien gods, man" is a recipe for stupidity.
    but why?

    Crack down on the blatant criminals and money hucksters... but so long as what a person believes doesn't pick your pocket or cause you harm, why does it fucking matter aside from your inherent desire to show them the wrongness of their ways?

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

    smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

    I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

    Those beliefs have, through time and historical accident, gained a certain amount of acceptability. Depending on your inclination, this is somewhat unfortunate.

    But you don't make the situation better by throwing up your hands and deciding to accord every idiotic belief respect and equal time. You definitely don't want to expand the idiocy privilege any wider than you have to; you want to keep cracking down on that shit.

    "Everybody has the right to worship their crystal alien gods, man" is a recipe for stupidity.

    I think you are missing his point Senj

    it is just as bad to worship crystal alien gods as it is jesus or allah or whatever, but that doesn't mean you should be disrespectful to one and not the other

    Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have never understood the internet's hard-on for Putin.

    Real life Bond villain.

    Thomamelas on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    it is interesting that when someone says they believe in alien gods you're all "make him see reason" but when someone says they believe in regular old gods doing that is bad

    unless he's going to drink the spirit juice to pierce the veil just try to make him keep it more to himself

    man that is completely wrong-headed

    Old timey religions that have survived to this day have a certain amount of acceptability due to age and historical accident. There's no getting around this.

    However, the take home message is not "therefore when some dullard starts spouting hippie-dippy alien crystal nonsense that would need 3 rewrites just to be a below-average episode of Stargate, treat him with respect and dignity because hey it's all cool man"

    it's

    "berate his stupid ass until he cries". Don't expand the privilege accorded to certain schools of sloppy thought to everything. That's just insane.

    No.

    old timey religions are every bit as loony as this. I don't care if it's old bullshit or new bullshit. So the same courtesy should be extended to people who believe either thing.

    salmon for bad, wrong, terrible idea

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    what's not to get about 30 rock

    How anyone could find Tina Fey funny.

    Preacher on
    Shameless Link whoring updated Fridays starting 1/26/17
    http://exterminatorsassistant.blogspot.com/
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

    smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

    I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

    Cept one is indoctrinated into society and the other is a person willingly and individually making the choice to be loony.

    I think saying that generally, christians et al haven't made an individual choice about their beliefs is being down on them more than the alien cult dude

    i am much more willing to accept

    "i come from a long family of christians who celebrate christian traditions and holidays that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember."

    than

    "i came up with like. . this theory man."

    honestly i am much more willing to accept the second

    at least they thought about what they are believing in

    Arch on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

    "i come from a long family of christians who celebrate christian traditions and holidays that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember."

    than

    "i came up with like. . this theory man."
    I'm more willing to accept the latter. At least that involved some thought instead of refusing to look at one's beliefs simply because it they are old.

    Couscous on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have never understood the internet's hard-on for Putin.
    vladimir_putin_01.jpg
    putinanddolphins.jpg

    yes. he's that good.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

    smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

    I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

    Those beliefs have, through time and historical accident, gained a certain amount of acceptability. Depending on your inclination, this is somewhat unfortunate.

    But you don't make the situation better by throwing up your hands and deciding to accord every idiotic belief respect and equal time. You definitely don't want to expand the idiocy privilege any wider than you have to; you want to keep cracking down on that shit.

    "Everybody has the right to worship their crystal alien gods, man" is a recipe for stupidity.

    I don't respect it, I tolerate it. There's a difference.

    I'm just not a crusading sort of atheist and to be frank I have little but distaste for the notion

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    it is interesting that when someone says they believe in alien gods you're all "make him see reason" but when someone says they believe in regular old gods doing that is bad

    unless he's going to drink the spirit juice to pierce the veil just try to make him keep it more to himself

    man that is completely wrong-headed

    Old timey religions that have survived to this day have a certain amount of acceptability due to age and historical accident. There's no getting around this.

    However, the take home message is not "therefore when some dullard starts spouting hippie-dippy alien crystal nonsense that would need 3 rewrites just to be a below-average episode of Stargate, treat him with respect and dignity because hey it's all cool man"

    it's

    "berate his stupid ass until he cries". Don't expand the privilege accorded to certain schools of sloppy thought to everything. That's just insane.

    No.

    old timey religions are every bit as loony as this. I don't care if it's old bullshit or new bullshit. So the same courtesy should be extended to people who believe either thing.

    salmon for bad, wrong, terrible idea

    pink for i disagree with you

    Arch on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When they only person who agrees with you is Preacher you may have no soul

    nexuscrawler on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I have never understood the internet's hard-on for Putin.

    Real life Bond villain.

    Seriously, he got like a tiger AS A PET!

    Preacher on
    Shameless Link whoring updated Fridays starting 1/26/17
    http://exterminatorsassistant.blogspot.com/
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hahahaha couscous

    hi-5
    this is one of the reasons that while i don't agree with passer re: religion, i respect her for it more than i would someone who is christian/muslim/jewish because their family is

    Arch on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When they only person who agrees with you is Preacher you may have no soul

    Hey being soulless is pretty fun times, we even get dental. True its because we rip the teeth out of others to replace our own, but its not my painful impromptu surgery!

    Preacher on
    Shameless Link whoring updated Fridays starting 1/26/17
    http://exterminatorsassistant.blogspot.com/
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I have never understood the internet's hard-on for Putin.

    Real life Bond villain.

    PutinShirtless.jpg

    Couscous on
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fail day

    presentation went horribly, just shoveled my driveway

    didnt get my internet installed ... still leeching off neighbors

    going to go to walmart to actually accomplish something today >.<

    msmya on
    38993_100.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

    "i come from a long family of christians who celebrate christian traditions and holidays that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember."

    than

    "i came up with like. . this theory man."
    I'm more willing to accept the latter. At least that involved some thought instead of refusing to look at one's beliefs simply because it they are old.

    yes but when those lines of thought are completely broken, disregard occam's razor, and founded by more logical fallacies than actual coherent thought there is a problem. This is a person willingly without any sort of stimulus choosing to believe goosery.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    it is interesting that when someone says they believe in alien gods you're all "make him see reason" but when someone says they believe in regular old gods doing that is bad

    unless he's going to drink the spirit juice to pierce the veil just try to make him keep it more to himself

    man that is completely wrong-headed

    Old timey religions that have survived to this day have a certain amount of acceptability due to age and historical accident. There's no getting around this.

    However, the take home message is not "therefore when some dullard starts spouting hippie-dippy alien crystal nonsense that would need 3 rewrites just to be a below-average episode of Stargate, treat him with respect and dignity because hey it's all cool man"

    it's

    "berate his stupid ass until he cries". Don't expand the privilege accorded to certain schools of sloppy thought to everything. That's just insane.

    No.

    old timey religions are every bit as loony as this. I don't care if it's old bullshit or new bullshit. So the same courtesy should be extended to people who believe either thing.

    salmon for bad, wrong, terrible idea

    Why? The new bullshit is the least durable stuff

    I mean the old stuff has been around for a long time, it's not going to die on it's own anytime soon

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey Mori, you might just point out that Von Daniken who was the idiot who popularized the idea was convicted of fraud a few times.

    He's getting really defensive now, so I'll have to save it for later.

    He's doing the whole "it isn't a belief if you can test it" thing, which doesn't even make sense, and he seems pretty set in the notion that since he isn't condemning non-believers, there isn't really anything to argue about. He even said "humor me like you would humor dad," which is like shit dude... I thought I was being gentle but now he's really hurt that I trashed something he was so excited to share.

    I just sent him a text that says "You are entitled to your faith" but I don't really believe it and I think he'll see the incredulity it's meant to obfuscated.

    Now I'm back to all shaken about this. Why did this have to happen to him?

    Also THoma, I read up on Von Daniken just now and yeah, I suspect my brother might be reading his shit.

    Silas Brown on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

    "i come from a long family of christians who celebrate christian traditions and holidays that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember."

    than

    "i came up with like. . this theory man."
    I'm more willing to accept the latter. At least that involved some thought instead of refusing to look at one's beliefs simply because it they are old.

    yes but when those lines of thought are completely broken, disregard occam's razor, and founded by more logical fallacies than actual coherent thought there is a problem. This is a person willingly without any sort of stimulus choosing to believe goosery.

    see uh

    i make the same arguments about classical religion

    so they are almost indistinguishable in my mind, one just has the authority of establishment

    and i would argue that it is better to argue respectfully in all cases than in some versus others

    Arch on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    it is interesting that when someone says they believe in alien gods you're all "make him see reason" but when someone says they believe in regular old gods doing that is bad

    unless he's going to drink the spirit juice to pierce the veil just try to make him keep it more to himself

    man that is completely wrong-headed

    Old timey religions that have survived to this day have a certain amount of acceptability due to age and historical accident. There's no getting around this.

    However, the take home message is not "therefore when some dullard starts spouting hippie-dippy alien crystal nonsense that would need 3 rewrites just to be a below-average episode of Stargate, treat him with respect and dignity because hey it's all cool man"

    it's

    "berate his stupid ass until he cries". Don't expand the privilege accorded to certain schools of sloppy thought to everything. That's just insane.

    No.

    old timey religions are every bit as loony as this. I don't care if it's old bullshit or new bullshit. So the same courtesy should be extended to people who believe either thing.

    salmon for bad, wrong, terrible idea

    pink for i disagree with you

    rainbowed for fabulous

    EDIT: Man, ROYGBIV is such bullshit. Indigo and violet? Get the fuck out of here.

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

    smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

    I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

    Those beliefs have, through time and historical accident, gained a certain amount of acceptability. Depending on your inclination, this is somewhat unfortunate.

    But you don't make the situation better by throwing up your hands and deciding to accord every idiotic belief respect and equal time. You definitely don't want to expand the idiocy privilege any wider than you have to; you want to keep cracking down on that shit.

    "Everybody has the right to worship their crystal alien gods, man" is a recipe for stupidity.
    but why?

    Crack down on the blatant criminals and money hucksters... but so long as what a person believes doesn't pick your pocket or cause you harm, why does it fucking matter aside from your inherent desire to show them the wrongness of their ways?
    Listen, I don't know if you have noticed, but there is a lot of fucking ignorance in the world.

    It is mostly a crazy ignorant place!

    So I am advocating cracking down on that shit anywhere you can get away with it. It is socially acceptable to mock the idiocy of believing in Lizard People from the Center of the Earth.

    It is not currently (universally) socially acceptable to mock the idiocy of Sarah Palin's belief that the Great Sky Beard means Global Warming can't be a threat.


    So flip it around; why would extending the "oh your beliefs are a special unique snowflake" privilege to the Lizard People believers make the world a better place, instead of a place even more over-run with people whose heads are so far up their asses they can see Russia from the lungs?

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have never understood the internet's hard-on for Putin.

    He is so comically and unapologetically Russian and manly

    you may disagree with his politics but he gets shit done

    no compromise, all virility

    Very different than current Western-style politicians

    Eddy on
    “Even as a gengar she was lovely.” ― Ovid, Metamorphoses
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I am advocating cracking down on that shit anywhere you can get away with it. It is socially acceptable to mock the idiocy of believing in Lizard People from the Center of the Earth.
    Mocking something usually isn't a very good way to kill it.

    Couscous on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey Mori, you might just point out that Von Daniken who was the idiot who popularized the idea was convicted of fraud a few times.

    He's getting really defensive now, so I'll have to save it for later.

    He's doing the whole "it isn't a belief if you can test it" thing, which doesn't even make sense, and he seems pretty set in the notion that since he isn't condemning non-believers, there isn't really anything to argue about. He even said "humor me like you would humor dad," which is like shit dude... I thought I was being gentle but now he's really hurt that I trashed something he was so excited to share.

    I just sent him a text that says "You are entitled to your faith" but I don't really believe it and I think he'll see the incredulity it's meant to obfuscated.

    Now I'm back to all shaken about this. Why did this have to happen to him?

    Also THoma, I read up on Von Daniken just now and yeah, I suspect my brother might be reading his shit.

    Most likely. There are some other people who push that theory but most of them trace their shtick back to him, and he's still the most popular of that kind of crazy. De-programing him of stupid crazy isn't worth the effort, faster to simply think those pushing that theory are simply out to scam him.

    Thomamelas on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'll let it sit for a week or two and then just kinda suggest Cosmos. Carl Sagan should deliver the message I need and provide the sense of wonder my brother hungers for.

    Silas Brown on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh thank god. instant watch is back

    i can watch Weeds now.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the buses here woke me up. beep beep. like the kids need to get honked to be able to catch the bus

    msmya on
    38993_100.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the difference senj is that we consider respectful argument to be a more effective rhetoric than mockery

    you goose

    :wink:

    Arch on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Why? The new bullshit is the least durable stuff

    Most hippy-dippy crazy NRM ideas die off because they tend to face resistance, massive criticism, and intolerance.

    You know, the things you are advocating doing away with?

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I think the difference senj is that we consider respectful argument to be a more effective rhetoric than mockery

    you goose

    :wink:

    I know you guys do

    and I think that's very precious

    someday I believe you geese will figure out that it isn't working, and that social pressure is the more powerful tool

    much love

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Why? The new bullshit is the least durable stuff

    Most hippy-dippy crazy NRM ideas die off because they tend to face resistance, massive criticism, and intolerance.

    You know, the things you are advocating doing away with?

    Mockery just tends to make people defensive.

    Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.