As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wedding Cheese [chat]

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have never understood the internet's hard-on for Putin.

Captain Carrot on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

Those beliefs have, through time and historical accident, gained a certain amount of acceptability. Depending on your inclination, this is somewhat unfortunate.

But you don't make the situation better by throwing up your hands and deciding to accord every idiotic belief respect and equal time. You definitely don't want to expand the idiocy privilege any wider than you have to; you want to keep cracking down on that shit.

"Everybody has the right to worship their crystal alien gods, man" is a recipe for stupidity.

Senjutsu on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Proffem

Donkey Kong has the right idea here

Arch on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

Cept one is indoctrinated into society and the other is a person willingly and individually making the choice to be loony.

I think saying that generally, christians et al haven't made an individual choice about their beliefs is being down on them more than the alien cult dude

i am much more willing to accept

"i come from a long family of christians who celebrate christian traditions and holidays that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember."

than

"i came up with like. . this theory man."

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it is interesting that when someone says they believe in alien gods you're all "make him see reason" but when someone says they believe in regular old gods doing that is bad

unless he's going to drink the spirit juice to pierce the veil just try to make him keep it more to himself

man that is completely wrong-headed

Old timey religions that have survived to this day have a certain amount of acceptability due to age and historical accident. There's no getting around this.

However, the take home message is not "therefore when some dullard starts spouting hippie-dippy alien crystal nonsense that would need 3 rewrites just to be a below-average episode of Stargate, treat him with respect and dignity because hey it's all cool man"

it's

"berate his stupid ass until he cries". Don't expand the privilege accorded to certain schools of sloppy thought to everything. That's just insane.

No.

old timey religions are every bit as loony as this. I don't care if it's old bullshit or new bullshit. So the same courtesy should be extended to people who believe either thing.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited December 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    what's not to get about 30 rock

nexus is clearly a lizard person

DON'T QUESTION ME I HAVE A RIGHT TO MY BEAUTIFUL SNOWFLAKE BELIEFS

Senjutsu on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey Mori, you might just point out that Von Daniken who was the idiot who popularized the idea was convicted of fraud a few times.

Thomamelas on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2010

Those beliefs have, through time and historical accident, gained a certain amount of acceptability. Depending on your inclination, this is somewhat unfortunate.

But you don't make the situation better by throwing up your hands and deciding to accord every idiotic belief respect and equal time. You definitely don't want to expand the idiocy privilege any wider than you have to; you want to keep cracking down on that shit.

"Everybody has the right to worship their crystal alien gods, man" is a recipe for stupidity.
    but why?

Crack down on the blatant criminals and money hucksters... but so long as what a person believes doesn't pick your pocket or cause you harm, why does it fucking matter aside from your inherent desire to show them the wrongness of their ways?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited December 2010

I think you are missing his point Senj

it is just as bad to worship crystal alien gods as it is jesus or allah or whatever, but that doesn't mean you should be disrespectful to one and not the other

Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Real life Bond villain.

Thomamelas on
    edited December 2010
    it is interesting that when someone says they believe in alien gods you're all "make him see reason" but when someone says they believe in regular old gods doing that is bad

unless he's going to drink the spirit juice to pierce the veil just try to make him keep it more to himself

Old timey religions that have survived to this day have a certain amount of acceptability due to age and historical accident. There's no getting around this.

However, the take home message is not "therefore when some dullard starts spouting hippie-dippy alien crystal nonsense that would need 3 rewrites just to be a below-average episode of Stargate, treat him with respect and dignity because hey it's all cool man"

it's

"berate his stupid ass until he cries". Don't expand the privilege accorded to certain schools of sloppy thought to everything. That's just insane.

No.

old timey religions are every bit as loony as this. I don't care if it's old bullshit or new bullshit. So the same courtesy should be extended to people who believe either thing.

salmon for bad, wrong, terrible idea

Senjutsu on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    what's not to get about 30 rock

How anyone could find Tina Fey funny.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2010

Cept one is indoctrinated into society and the other is a person willingly and individually making the choice to be loony.

I think saying that generally, christians et al haven't made an individual choice about their beliefs is being down on them more than the alien cult dude

i am much more willing to accept

"i come from a long family of christians who celebrate christian traditions and holidays that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember."

than

honestly i am much more willing to accept the second

at least they thought about what they are believing in

Arch on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

than

I'm more willing to accept the latter. At least that involved some thought instead of refusing to look at one's beliefs simply because it they are old.

Couscous on
    edited December 2010
    vladimir_putin_01.jpg
    putinanddolphins.jpg

yes. he's that good.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010

I don't respect it, I tolerate it. There's a difference.

I'm just not a crusading sort of atheist and to be frank I have little but distaste for the notion

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited December 2010

it's

No.

pink for i disagree with you

Arch on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When they only person who agrees with you is Preacher you may have no soul

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Real life Bond villain.

Seriously, he got like a tiger AS A PET!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2010
    hahahaha couscous

hi-5
    this is one of the reasons that while i don't agree with passer re: religion, i respect her for it more than i would someone who is christian/muslim/jewish because their family is

Arch on
    edited December 2010
    When they only person who agrees with you is Preacher you may have no soul

Hey being soulless is pretty fun times, we even get dental. True its because we rip the teeth out of others to replace our own, but its not my painful impromptu surgery!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2010

Real life Bond villain.

PutinShirtless.jpg

Couscous on
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fail day

presentation went horribly, just shoveled my driveway

didnt get my internet installed ... still leeching off neighbors

going to go to walmart to actually accomplish something today >.<

msmya on
    edited December 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

than

I'm more willing to accept the latter. At least that involved some thought instead of refusing to look at one's beliefs simply because it they are old.

yes but when those lines of thought are completely broken, disregard occam's razor, and founded by more logical fallacies than actual coherent thought there is a problem. This is a person willingly without any sort of stimulus choosing to believe goosery.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010

it's

No.

Why? The new bullshit is the least durable stuff

I mean the old stuff has been around for a long time, it's not going to die on it's own anytime soon

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey Mori, you might just point out that Von Daniken who was the idiot who popularized the idea was convicted of fraud a few times.

He's getting really defensive now, so I'll have to save it for later.

He's doing the whole "it isn't a belief if you can test it" thing, which doesn't even make sense, and he seems pretty set in the notion that since he isn't condemning non-believers, there isn't really anything to argue about. He even said "humor me like you would humor dad," which is like shit dude... I thought I was being gentle but now he's really hurt that I trashed something he was so excited to share.

I just sent him a text that says "You are entitled to your faith" but I don't really believe it and I think he'll see the incredulity it's meant to obfuscated.

Now I'm back to all shaken about this. Why did this have to happen to him?

Also THoma, I read up on Von Daniken just now and yeah, I suspect my brother might be reading his shit.

Silas Brown on
    edited December 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

than

yes but when those lines of thought are completely broken, disregard occam's razor, and founded by more logical fallacies than actual coherent thought there is a problem. This is a person willingly without any sort of stimulus choosing to believe goosery.

see uh

i make the same arguments about classical religion

so they are almost indistinguishable in my mind, one just has the authority of establishment

and i would argue that it is better to argue respectfully in all cases than in some versus others

Arch on
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »

it's

No.

pink for i disagree with you

rainbowed for fabulous

EDIT: Man, ROYGBIV is such bullshit. Indigo and violet? Get the fuck out of here.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited December 2010
    i think hi-5 abdhys?

Arch on
    edited December 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

but why?

Crack down on the blatant criminals and money hucksters... but so long as what a person believes doesn't pick your pocket or cause you harm, why does it fucking matter aside from your inherent desire to show them the wrongness of their ways?
    Listen, I don't know if you have noticed, but there is a lot of fucking ignorance in the world.

It is mostly a crazy ignorant place!

So I am advocating cracking down on that shit anywhere you can get away with it. It is socially acceptable to mock the idiocy of believing in Lizard People from the Center of the Earth.

It is not currently (universally) socially acceptable to mock the idiocy of Sarah Palin's belief that the Great Sky Beard means Global Warming can't be a threat.

So flip it around; why would extending the "oh your beliefs are a special unique snowflake" privilege to the Lizard People believers make the world a better place, instead of a place even more over-run with people whose heads are so far up their asses they can see Russia from the lungs?

Senjutsu on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

He is so comically and unapologetically Russian and manly

you may disagree with his politics but he gets shit done

no compromise, all virility

Very different than current Western-style politicians

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited December 2010
    So I am advocating cracking down on that shit anywhere you can get away with it. It is socially acceptable to mock the idiocy of believing in Lizard People from the Center of the Earth.
    Mocking something usually isn't a very good way to kill it.

Couscous on
    edited December 2010

He's getting really defensive now, so I'll have to save it for later.

He's doing the whole "it isn't a belief if you can test it" thing, which doesn't even make sense, and he seems pretty set in the notion that since he isn't condemning non-believers, there isn't really anything to argue about. He even said "humor me like you would humor dad," which is like shit dude... I thought I was being gentle but now he's really hurt that I trashed something he was so excited to share.

I just sent him a text that says "You are entitled to your faith" but I don't really believe it and I think he'll see the incredulity it's meant to obfuscated.

Now I'm back to all shaken about this. Why did this have to happen to him?

Also THoma, I read up on Von Daniken just now and yeah, I suspect my brother might be reading his shit.

Most likely. There are some other people who push that theory but most of them trace their shtick back to him, and he's still the most popular of that kind of crazy. De-programing him of stupid crazy isn't worth the effort, faster to simply think those pushing that theory are simply out to scam him.

Thomamelas on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'll let it sit for a week or two and then just kinda suggest Cosmos. Carl Sagan should deliver the message I need and provide the sense of wonder my brother hungers for.

Silas Brown on
    edited December 2010
    oh thank god. instant watch is back

i can watch Weeds now.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the buses here woke me up. beep beep. like the kids need to get honked to be able to catch the bus

msmya on
    edited December 2010
    I think the difference senj is that we consider respectful argument to be a more effective rhetoric than mockery

you goose

:wink:

Arch on
    edited December 2010

Most hippy-dippy crazy NRM ideas die off because they tend to face resistance, massive criticism, and intolerance.

You know, the things you are advocating doing away with?

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I think the difference senj is that we consider respectful argument to be a more effective rhetoric than mockery

you goose

:wink:

I know you guys do

and I think that's very precious

someday I believe you geese will figure out that it isn't working, and that social pressure is the more powerful tool

much love

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2010

Most hippy-dippy crazy NRM ideas die off because they tend to face resistance, massive criticism, and intolerance.

You know, the things you are advocating doing away with?

Mockery just tends to make people defensive.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.