As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wedding Cheese [chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    you dudes are way too PC about stupid stupid beliefs

smack him upside the head and tell him to stop being a twat

I see no difference beetween his belief and that of any other religious person and I don't go around smacking people upside the head

Those beliefs have, through time and historical accident, gained a certain amount of acceptability. Depending on your inclination, this is somewhat unfortunate.

But you don't make the situation better by throwing up your hands and deciding to accord every idiotic belief respect and equal time. You definitely don't want to expand the idiocy privilege any wider than you have to; you want to keep cracking down on that shit.

"Everybody has the right to worship their crystal alien gods, man" is a recipe for stupidity.
    but why?

Crack down on the blatant criminals and money hucksters... but so long as what a person believes doesn't pick your pocket or cause you harm, why does it fucking matter aside from your inherent desire to show them the wrongness of their ways?
    Listen, I don't know if you have noticed, but there is a lot of fucking ignorance in the world.

It is mostly a crazy ignorant place!

So I am advocating cracking down on that shit anywhere you can get away with it. It is socially acceptable to mock the idiocy of believing in Lizard People from the Center of the Earth.

It is not currently (universally) socially acceptable to mock the idiocy of Sarah Palin's belief that the Great Sky Beard means Global Warming can't be a threat.

So flip it around; why would extending the "oh your beliefs are a special unique snowflake" privilege to the Lizard People believers make the world a better place, instead of a place even more over-run with people whose heads are so far up their asses they can see Russia from the lungs?

honest answer: I'm optimistic enough to think that it gets better slowly and I don't think it would matter what I do so I'd rather just not champion a cause

I mean if I talk to someone about religion then I won't be all "yes yes this all sounds good" but there's no reason to get vicious about it

in the end, I don't really care what people believe

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I think the difference senj is that we consider respectful argument to be a more effective rhetoric than mockery

you goose

:wink:

*sprays with water*

Galahad on
    edited December 2010
    Why? The new bullshit is the least durable stuff

Most hippy-dippy crazy NRM ideas die off because they tend to face resistance, massive criticism, and intolerance.

You know, the things you are advocating doing away with?

actually I'm advocating not introducing them, not doing away with them

I dunno what kind of world you live in where this kind of thing is okay

it sounds like a bad place

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Most hippy-dippy crazy NRM ideas die off because they tend to face resistance, massive criticism, and intolerance.

you miss the point

you can provide all those things without mockery and without being a douchegoose

Arch on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Eddy wrote: »
    I have never understood the internet's hard-on for Putin.

He is so comically and unapologetically Russian and manly

you may disagree with his politics but he gets shit done

no compromise, all virility

Very different than current Western-style politicians

Oh and by the way, he tortured a load of guys in the KGB.

What a guy.

Leitner on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Like Scientology, Sikhism, the Moonies, Rastafarianism, etc. You know, the ones that are still alive and well today.

Or maybe you are talking about pseudoscience like crystals and shit that are still popular.

Couscous on
    edited December 2010
    I think I'll let it sit for a week or two and then just kinda suggest Cosmos. Carl Sagan should deliver the message I need and provide the sense of wonder my brother hungers for.

maybe you should talk about how you actually do accept it, that you are going to humor him as you humor your dad, first

even if you don't

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sleight of hand requires no particular technology. The only difference is that people now understand that words or thoughts alone cannot create, destroy, or redirect any form mass or energy. So they will categorically reject any act of magic as trickery. 2000 years ago this was not the case. I don't understand what causes people not to take this realization and question a lot of the events in the bible which were crucial in the formation of their faith.

This is literally how I became an atheist. At a young age I realized that people thousands of years ago were wildly unreliable witnesses to events, even if their observations survived perfectly translated and unbiased to today (which also is not true, but is a slightly weaker, more deniable point).

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited December 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Like Scientology, Sikhism, the Moonies, Rastafarianism, etc. You know, the ones that are still alive and well today.

Or maybe you are talking about pseudoscience like crystals and shit that are still popular.

you put sikhism beside scientology. Uh, okay.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

There is a mini photo blog for everything now.

This morning I saw a link for sexy ladies wearing batman shirts. I'm sure you can find it yourself if you want.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure why I became an atheist. I know it was sometime in the fifth grade, but my childhood memory sucks.

Couscous on
    edited December 2010

I was just using them as an example of fairly recent religions.

I think I just looked at it and thought Christianity was kind of stupid around that age.

Couscous on
    edited December 2010
    I've always been non-religious

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited December 2010

Crazy European people with their crazy state religions with churches nobody attends but are still the state religion for some reason.

Couscous on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Putin would be the kind of person you wouldn't want to tell a joke around, because you don't know if he's laughing at the joke, or laughing at the thought of what he's going to have happen to you later.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was raised Catholic. Lapsing is just what we do.

Thomamelas on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I remember going to Sunday school back in the day. I think my mom just gave up forcing us to wake up and get dressed for any kind of mass, and we stopped altogether before it got ingrained. I don't remember ever actually believing, even back then. Like, I remember bullshiting my Sunday school teacher.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think reasoned argument alone is enough. It's good, it's important, it's vital. But it isn't enough.

It's unrealistic to expect that effective techniques for performing science will be at all effective for promoting science; in fact, we have ample evidence that trying to promote science via reasoned engagement doesn't work very well. Anti-scientific proponents of vaccine-avoidance or evolution-denial continue to gain the mindshare of a significant and powerful segment of the voting population that "better evidence" has been unable to sway.

You have to be willing to also be the side that shouts louder and takes the cheap shots; these are time-tested, evidence-based methods for effectively capturing peoples attention. They are 100% science-backed promotional methods that the pro-science crowd, perversely, rejects.

And that's a deeply un-scientific attitude. Many, many people believe what they hear first and what gets shouted loudest. Not liking that fact, and therefore refusing to engage in those tactics, doesn't make it any less true; it simply cedes a large segment of the population to anti-science proponents who are willing to do what it takes to get their message heard.

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2010
    tumblr_lcgjg7ZASh1qer2pyo1_500.jpg
    A classic eyeballing from a 2009 energy dispute. Bulgarian prime minister Boiko Borissov is startled into silence as images climb unbidden into his consciousness: an icy wasteland, bodies in pits, and a suddenly cut-off scream in the darkness

hahahaha

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man cheesecake is delicious but you need to have a good ratio of berry to pie otherwise the entire thing is just ruined.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited December 2010
    I remember going to Sunday school back in the day. I think my mom just gave up forcing us to wake up and get dressed for any kind of mass, and we stopped altogether before it got ingrained. I don't remember ever actually believing, even back then. Like, I remember bullshiting my Sunday school teacher.

I always hated going to church.

Couscous on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, crazy beliefs represent harm, because they breed a non-secular empiricist belief system, and suddenly they think vaccines cause autism.

And the ‘well that’s just their opinion man, leave them be’ – leads to the simpering mess that is the democratic party.

Leitner on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aww are you guys having a hurf durf Atheist Jamboree? How cute.

So are you United Atheist League or Allied Atheist Alliance?

Ludious on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

yeah holy crap

And while rastafarianism may seem like a kooky personality cult it is not an engineered one like scientology or moon's church

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Priceless

FroThulhu on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Putin ruins his whole shtick by being way too obvious about doing it for the exact kind of attention he gets from internet people

Nerdgasmic on
    edited December 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Yeah, crazy beliefs represent harm, because they breed a non-secular empiricist belief system, and suddenly they think vaccines cause autism.

And the ‘well that’s just they’re opinion man, leave them be’ – leads to the simpering mess that is the democratic party.

Sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office there was a vaccinate your child commercial. Infants of dying of whooping cough. WHOOPING COUGH. That's the kind of illness that was rendered pretty much a silly name and now it's killing people. I'm glad my sister is siding with medical science for her kid, because not too long ago that's the kind of thing she'd latch onto.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited December 2010

Crazy European people with their crazy state religions with churches nobody attends but are still the state religion for some reason.

because people don't care

it's kind of annoying

people aren't christian

what people will say is like "I believe in god, I think, but not like the stuff in the bible"

or something even more wishy-washy

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Putin ruins his whole shtick by being way too obvious about doing it for the exact kind of attention he gets from internet people

Nerd you do realize he has been linked to actual murders right? He's former KGB and not a very nice person at all.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2010
    shut up, ludious

shut up

Nerdgasmic on
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Nerd you do realize he has been linked to actual murders right? He's former KGB and not a very nice person at all.

that's all real, sure, but wrestling bears and fishing for salmon with his hands and all of that is a series of a fairly silly publicity stunts

Nerdgasmic on
    edited December 2010
    Look, people are agreeing. Hurf durf echo chamber.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think reasoned argument alone is enough. It's good, it's important, it's vital. But it isn't enough.

It's unrealistic to expect that effective techniques for performing science will be at all effective for promoting science; in fact, we have ample evidence that trying to promote science via reasoned engagement doesn't work very well. Anti-scientific proponents of vaccine-avoidance or evolution-denial continue to gain the mindshare of a significant and powerful segment of the voting population that "better evidence" has been unable to sway.

You have to be willing to also be the side that shouts louder and takes the cheap shots; these are time-tested, evidence-based methods for effectively capturing peoples attention. They are 100% science-backed promotional methods that the pro-science crowd, perversely, rejects.

And that's a deeply un-scientific attitude. Many, many people believe what they hear first and what gets shouted loudest. Not liking that fact, and therefore refusing to engage in those tactics, doesn't make it any less true; it simply cedes a large segment of the population to anti-science proponents who are willing to do what it takes to get their message heard.

I think the pro-science crowd, when rejecting those methods, is doing so with a long-term goal in mind.

Those methods work because people are generally poorly educated and reactionary. I would think that continuing those methods just because they work right now would reinforce the behavior that they'd rather discourage.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited December 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

United Athiest Alliance

SPLITTER

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited December 2010
    Hey, I like Sikhism. IT has the most badass symbol of all religions.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Khanda1.svg/70px-Khanda1.svg.png

Couscous on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    shut up, ludious

shut up

Wait, what?

No. Why am I being told to shut up?

Ludious on
    edited December 2010

Wel it's not even atheism per se. Proper organised christianity is rather good at stopping the more kooky beliefs as well. A cardinal is going to tell you to fuck off with your ghosts idea.

Leitner on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I was raised Catholic. Lapsing is just what we do.

hi5

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited December 2010

United Athiest Alliance

SPLITTER

We must all fight together!

We are referencing the much better Life of Brian instead of that South Park episode, right?

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.