As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Tourneys

• Options
    dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Call of Duty: United Offensive

Call of Duty 2

:P

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Call of Duty: United Offensive

Call of Duty 2

:P

No and No.

The only one up in the air right now is the Quake wars/BF2 battle. The rest of the FPS's are set. As well as the RTS's (assuming everything pans out)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm.

I wonder what the RTSes of choice are going to be.

I'm not up with current ones, so... I doubt I'll be attempting a tournie in one of those.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    pNopNo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So basically I'll be bringing a real team to this years CS:S tournament (hopefully), unlike the last 2 years where I've pugged it. :'(

<3 Enforcers

EDIT: Damn Account Retrieval was taking too long, so I just made a new one. BLAST IT ALL! Expect to see a party boy at this years PAX.

pNo on
  • Options
    specspec Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is there going to be a DOD:S tournament???

spec on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    spec wrote: »

Did you read the thread before asking?
    My guess is a big negative.
    BigRed wrote: »

No and No.

The only one up in the air right now is the Quake wars/BF2 battle. The rest of the FPS's are set. As well as the RTS's (assuming everything pans out)
    Profs wrote: »
    I don't mean to be a pest...but what the fuck? This *list*; who was it chosen by?

Me, DiscoDave, the other people running tournaments, and PA.

[edit]
    If you are asking what is the list, here it is.

1. CS:S
    2. HL2: DM
    3. QuakeWars (Replace BF2 here if quakewars turns out to be a pile of bugs and suckage)
    4. RTS1 (TBA LATER)
    5. RTS2 (TBA LATER)
    6. Profit+++ (FTW)

[/edit]

BigRed on
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think there should be a HL2 Garry's Mod tourney with the game where one team is birds and the other are people. Its probably the best game ever, since it involves shitting on your opponents from the sky. Dive bombing is hilarious.

That or just have a garry's mod tournament with a mix of the team games, change it up every round.

I'll also try to come back to defend my caffeine consumption title. Man I had problems waking up for weeks after pax.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    I think there should be a HL2 Garry's Mod tourney with the game where one team is birds and the other are people. Its probably the best game ever, since it involves shitting on your opponents from the sky. Dive bombing is hilarious.

That or just have a garry's mod tournament with a mix of the team games, change it up every round.

I'll also try to come back to defend my caffeine consumption title. Man I had problems waking up for weeks after pax.

Tournaments have been chosen already. you are welcome to organize any tournament you want in the BYOC area (assuming you are a BYOC attendee of course).

Also unless you can beat 19grams in the 3 days of pax im pretty sure i already have you beat :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Also unless you can beat 19grams in the 3 days of pax im pretty sure i already have you beat :P

You scared me... You crashed so hard after tear-down.

pNo on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2007
    spec wrote: »
    Between CSS and HL2: DM, we figured that's probably enough Source for official tournaments.

It also means no "official" Garry's Mod tournament, but I think that game is best suited for something slightly more informal anyway.

Stay tuned, though, especially if you're bringing your own computer. ;)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    pNo wrote: »

whoareyou?

BigRed on
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    True but you weren't recording it on the page because you probably had more more important things to do(I know I should have had better things to do). There is a slight chance I will actually play in a tourney this year instead of using the byoc room as more of a bawlz storage/relzation area like I did last year. Although I guess I did play alot of Garry's mod and other random crap.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    pNo wrote: »

whoareyou?

Pinnochio.

pNo on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so, is the gravity gun going to be allowed in the HL2: DM tournie?

been playing HL2: DM a bit, seeing if i was any good...

i tear it up with the gravity gun, hit #1 spot on a public server. i was quite proud.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    so, is the gravity gun going to be allowed in the HL2: DM tournie?

been playing HL2: DM a bit, seeing if i was any good...

i tear it up with the gravity gun, hit #1 spot on a public server. i was quite proud.

Uhh yeah, if theres no gravity gun then its not really HL2 :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Any updates? Im itching to know if we are playing a Battlefield product or Quake wars.

uc4life on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    please gun game? I want to win at least one tourney....

Shade on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    uc4life wrote: »
    Any updates? Im itching to know if we are playing a Battlefield product or Quake wars.
    It looks like QW has been delayed (again) and won't be out. Most the comments I've seen on the forum regarding BF2 vs. BF2142 have leaned towards BF2, so it looks like we'll probably stick with that.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    It looks like QW has been delayed (again) and won't be out. Most the comments I've seen on the forum regarding BF2 vs. BF2142 have leaned towards BF2, so it looks like we'll probably stick with that.

I received a hope-dashing email:
    Dear Customer,

You have signed up to receive release date changes for:

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B646561A

Old Release Date - 6/5/2007
    New Release Date - 7/2/2007

Thank you for visiting EBgames.com!

NOTE: The product release date is the best estimate as to when the product will become available. These dates are subject to change at anytime. EBGames.com is in constant communication with product vendors to provide you with the most accurate release dates possible.
    I guess I'm not a big enough customer for Splash Damage to send over a representative to personally kick me in the nuts, but this is close enough.

Given that SD has yet to make any kind of official announcement regarding the release date, it sounds like they have no idea when, or possibly if, it will ever be done. They don't even know what they are going to pack in with the Collector's Edition yet.

We can hope for PAX '08, but I wouldn't bet on it.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah its sadface :(

I was hoping to see it there too.

BigRed on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Two months isn't enough lead time? That sucks, especially since ET>>>>BF.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Two months isn't enough lead time? That sucks, especially since ET>>>>BF.

I agree and nope.

Theres never really been an official launch date by SplashDamage and things need to be decided by the middle of june so.... yeah. Sadface :(

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ok, now that it seems like its back to BF. Which battlefield?

My vote goes to BF2 with the DCON mod, a little nod to the first Pax where TFH took the championship in Desert Combat.

If that doesnt strike your fancy, then I still say BF2>BF2142

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It will most likely be BF2.

Online stats still say that bf2 players outnumber 2142.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yea, as much as we'd love to get newer games into the mix, I think in this particular case it'll be better to hang back with BF2. The comments I've seen on the forums here seem to agree.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've actually decided to build a computer for pax. Do I really need an 8800gts 320 for tournament competion or is byoc not allowed to compete? I know theres the bling part too about bringing a nice videocard along and showing off.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've actually decided to build a computer for pax. Do I really need an 8800gts 320 for tournament competion or is byoc not allowed to compete? I know theres the bling part too about bringing a nice videocard along and showing off.

Man, dont be bringing that weak sauce up in here, you aint shit unless you gots 8800 ultras in SLI!!

uc4life on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Man, dont be bringing that weak sauce up in here, you aint shit unless you gots 8800 ultras in SLI!!

I don't have 1800$ to spend on 2 redicilously stupid videocards. I wish I did, but I don't.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I don't have 1800$ to spend on 2 redicilously stupid videocards. I wish I did, but I don't.

Me neither man, i just ordered a 8800gts 640 myself, it will be plenty fast.

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I have one of those. It's a decent card. I'm just not sure a 7900gt/gs will be sufficent for the BYOC room or not. I'd love to run two 8800's 320mb's in sli but I don't know yet.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I have one of those. It's a decent card. I'm just not usre a 7900gt/gs will be sufficent for the BYOC room or not. I'd love to run two 8800's 320mb's in sli but I don't know yet.

I don't think we are gonna have a "Highest 3dMark Score" tourney, so you should be safe.

This is the card I just ordered evga 8800gts 640 superclocked
    I think its a pretty good deal right now

You could always get this bad boy
    special deal on 8800 ultra

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

We've always allowed and encouraged byoc people to compete in tournaments using their own machines, but we've only had a few people take us up on that offer, and it tends to complicate things. This year, partly to ensure fairness, partly to keep teams together, and partly just because we've got the space and resources to do it, all official tournaments will be on a special section of machines specifically for that purpose.

However, I fully endorse the idea of upgrading your system for PAX, and on a personal level, I consider the 8800 320 GTS a smart buy.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

zOMG! RICKROLLED!

My eyes! My ears! The pain!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    slacktron wrote: »

zOMG! RICKROLLED!

My eyes! My ears! The pain!

OMG OMG, my first rickroll got someone!

My e-penis is so frickin hard right now

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    But seriously, is there any chance of Dcon getting some love?

http://desert-conflict.org/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXIEbkF10U <--- not a rickroll, i promise

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The concern is every time you use a total conversion, you chop up the game's player base. Just about everyone who's played Dcon is going to be familiar with BF2, but not everyone who's played BF2 has played Dcon. Because of that, and without seeing more feedback on this issue here on the forums, I'm leaning more towards straight BF2.

Comments/concerns/complaints/...uh...cwestions....are welcome.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yeah, i know :(

I just remember the first Pax we played DC for BF1942 and it was awesome

Dont worry, Team Fucking Huge will return to glory and take the championship back no matter what game it is =)

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Dont worry, Team Fucking Huge will return to glory and take the championship back no matter what game it is =)

Thats because DC was more popular and sucked less than straight bf1942 :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Thats because DC was more popular and sucked less than straight bf1942 :P

You take back those nasty words about 1942!!!:x

Im not saying DC didnt make it better, but I had some good times with 42.

Me and my team are curious why dcon isnt more popular, its a REALLY good translation of DC's badass stuff to BF2's engine. Even the chopper controls bring it back to that DC style, a little harder to fly but you are able to do way cooler stuff, much more control.

uc4life on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is there going to be an Internet connection in the BYOC room? I dont want to play WoW or anything, but checking my e-mail and posting here to tease all the non-PAXer would be nice

uc4life on
This discussion has been closed.