As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA XII: Congratulations to Spectrum, Dana White

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Man, its too bad Paul Daley is a dumbass.

It would have been the awesomest thing ever if he fought this rejuvenated version of Thiago Alves.

I'd probably pick Alves to win it though, just because he actually has a ground game to go along with his wicked striking. You don't train at ATT and not know how to grapple.
    This was my first thought after the Alves fight this weekend, too. I think Daley would take it if they stood up, but no one should be standing with Daley at 170 even though his TDD is underated.

Me too, both made weight and both looked way more crisp and motivated.

I would have to pick Daley just because, as you say, Daley's TDD gets too much shit. Getting taken down by Kos and Shields and not at will (he sprawled and defended several) does NOT mean anyone can take you down.

Kampmann tried, and failed.

As it is, I think Noons will duck Daley (he called Daley a UFC cast off, which is funny considering Noons could do fuck all in the UFC and Daley was fighting title contenders) as he wants to go to 155 and not get knocked the fuck out.

Daley is right though, he needs another win to call out Nick Diaz, a fight I think he could win frankly.

Venkman90 on
    edited December 2010
    Man, Mayhem dissed Stockton?

It's on.

Mayhem really wants this fight, he will stop at nothing to get it too.

I want Mayhem in the UFC, he almost beat Shields and Jake is now getting treated like the GOAT despite scraping by Kampmann.

Venkman90 on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's on.

http://dontbescaredhomie.com
    “I’m at the table,” Miller said. “I’m at the table with a plate of yams, sitting there ready to spank his ass, but he doesn’t want to come to the table. He wants to sit in his bedroom with Cesar Gracie and cuddle.”

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »

It's on.

Mayhem really wants this fight, he will stop at nothing to get it too.

I want Mayhem in the UFC, he almost beat Shields and Jake is now getting treated like the GOAT despite scraping by Kampmann.

I'm just really surprised people think that Shields has much of a chance against GSP. His stand-up blows but his ground game is awesome. Think of the last two people that GSP fought that aren't amazing standing but are good at getting it to the ground: Fitch and Koscheck.

I really don't think there's much more to discuss here. Shields is just one more guy for GSP to put on his record. Let's get it out of the way so the inevitable Silva/GSP fight can happen by the end of the year (and then it can be the new "BIGGEST FIGHT IN UFC HISTORY"). Gotta give Georges time to bulk up, anyway.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd like to see that fight regardless of who wins in the Belfort Silva match. Sorry, but Silva and GSP are my main man gods.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited December 2010
    As it is right now, based on the past year, I would have to pick GSP.

Look how Sonnen molested Silva, look how even Maia took it too him at points, then look at how well GSP did against Alves, Kos and Fitch...

The guy has won 30 straight rounds now and looks better every fight imho. Silva has never fought a guy so well rounded and his matrix shtick won't mean shit when GSP double legs him and merks him to a solid UD.

Venkman90 on
    edited December 2010
    I think we were looking at a bored Silva and a completely motivated GSP. I don't think he'd approach GSP with the same level of disrespect as he has some of his previous competition.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    I get the feel Silva is generally in a decline and at the end of his career. I think GSP takes it as well, but I'd love to see how he'd do it.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited December 2010
    I see GSP winning the fight. Silva has a supposed size/length advantage, but I really don't think that means anything. Silva is only going to get slower from here on out and GSP is just entering the prime of his athletic life. Even with the extra weight he'll pack on to fight Silva, he'll be faster. I really don't think Silva's length is going to matter too much at that point. Silva being larger in general won't matter, either. GSP regularly trains with guys like Rashad, Carwin and Cote. Wrestling and sparring with guys that outweigh him is a common occurence and will not rattle him, nor do I think it will matter.

And once GSP has Silva on his back, he's not going to get caught in a submission like Chael. I see a takedown and GnP fest for 5 rounds if they fight.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's on.

To be fair, California is the armpit of America, and Stockton is the Asshole of california.

I mean, Stockton really sucks. It's a generally shitty place (excluding Starbucks Girl <3).

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's on.

To be fair, California is the armpit of America, and Stockton is the Asshole of california.

I mean, Stockton really sucks. It's a generally shitty place (excluding Starbucks Girl <3).

So armpits have assholes? Damn you high school biology for not teaching me these things...

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited December 2010
    I feel like you missed the point. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone wanna avatar bet Cruz v Jorgensen?

My money's on Cruz!

DemonStacey on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »

It's on.

So armpits have assholes? Damn you high school biology for not teaching me these things...

Little fleas have lesser fleas. And so on, ad infinitum.

adytum on
    edited December 2010
    Assholes all the way down.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited December 2010
    The dreaded Möbius Asshole.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited December 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Assholes all the way down.

...and at the top of the goatce chain, you can see earth coming out of the asshole.

D:

ChillyWilly on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    This string of posts reminds me of this clip from Lucky Louie.

NSFW Language

JustinSane07 on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think we were looking at a bored Silva and a completely motivated GSP. I don't think he'd approach GSP with the same level of disrespect as he has some of his previous competition.

I completely agree, I honestly think he was just screwing with Sonnen. Rewatching the positioning when he threw that triangle on, it was available for most of the fight. I see GSP getting KOed pretty early.

Snarfmaster on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I completely agree, I honestly think he was just screwing with Sonnen. Rewatching the positioning when he threw that triangle on, it was available for most of the fight. I see GSP getting KOed pretty early.
    See: your avatar and title/location.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    As it is right now, based on the past year, I would have to pick GSP.

Look how Sonnen molested Silva, look how even Maia took it too him at points, then look at how well GSP did against Alves, Kos and Fitch...

The guy has won 30 straight rounds now and looks better every fight imho. Silva has never fought a guy so well rounded and his matrix shtick won't mean shit when GSP double legs him and merks him to a solid UD.

I don't see GSP being able to control Silva on the ground. GSP couldn't keep Alves down, Alves got up multiple times (and then GSP would just take him down again). Anderson is bigger than Alves with better grappling and TDD. Chael was able to hold Anderson down, but Chael's said that his true fight weight is 205-210 lbs.

Anderson's muay thai is also better suited to face GSP than Alves'. Anderson's more of a counter-striker, which allows him to use more of his arsenal against a wrestler. Alves is more of an attacking striker, using all of his arsenal makes him much more vulnerable to takedowns. Pretty much every time Alves threw a kick, GSP shot successfully. As a result, Alves simply stopped kicking, and lost his #1 striking weapon (his kicks are better than his punches).

Anderson, as a counter-striker, wouldn't lose his ability to throw kicks because they wouldn't be exposing him further to takedowns, because he's be waiting for GSP to attack first.

BubbaT on
    edited December 2010
    And also he can fuck you right up with punches.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really badly want to see this fight, but since it's so high profile I won't hold my breath until it's actually official. GSP will bring in an interesting game-plan, I'm sure, likely one that does involve a fair amount of striking for takedowns. He had to see the Sonnen fight and think about some holes in Silva's game, even if they're misread signs of an injury or something. Anderson, on the other hand, has the best striking that GSP will have faced and, if he's motivated, the quickness to make GSP's striking style much less effective. It would be a fucking great fight to see, whatever the outcome. There's still so many assumptions, though, about the whole thing. I'd like to see them fight at a catch weight of 180, but I'm not sure Silva can give up five more pounds.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The dreaded Möbius Asshole.

:^::^::^::^:

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited December 2010
    This is a thing that is going to happen:
    A press release today announces that Bellator Fighting Championships has reached an agreement with MTV Networks to air live events on MTV2.

This is a thing that is hopefully going to happen: (maybe with some better editing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJSnl0tRFiU&feature=player_embedded

This is a thing that already happened:

5258442095_c0dde08356.jpg

Butterbean%202.jpg

adytum on
    edited December 2010
    What is the cage potato thing? Find the fattest guys that can move and have them fight?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited December 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    This is a thing that is going to happen:
    A press release today announces that Bellator Fighting Championships has reached an agreement with MTV Networks to air live events on MTV2.

This is a thing that is hopefully going to happen: (maybe with some better editing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJSnl0tRFiU&feature=player_embedded

This is a thing that already happened:

5258442095_c0dde08356.jpg

Butterbean%202.jpg

1. Great news for Bellator. Their deal with FSN was terrible because they were always getting pre-empted by some silly football game. The more exposure for them, the better. Not necessarily great news for me because I don't get MTV2, but hopefully this will mean as they get bigger, they move to a bigger network.

2. I would watch that show in a heartbeat.

3. In that first picture with Butterbean, his shorts have the American Top Team logo on the left leg. I didn't know he trained there and I'm quite surprised that he does.

ChillyWilly on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    You don't train at ATT and not know how to grapple.
    3. In that first picture with Butterbean, his shorts have the American Top Team logo on the left leg. I didn't know he trained there and I'm quite surprised that he does.

Butterbean%202.jpg

I lol'd.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited December 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    What is the cage potato thing? Find the fattest guys that can move and have them fight?

Butterbean is a totally legitimate MMA fighter that has fought a long list of people nobody has ever heard of.. and Genki Sudo.

It's worth noting that the black guy submitted due to exhaustion after the second round.

adytum on
    edited December 2010
    Omg, that's Butterbean? That dude got even fatter...

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited December 2010
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What has 2 thumbs and tickets to UFC 127? This guy! (I'm pointing to myself with my thumbs all cool like). Buddy just got us some tickets to go which I'm stoked about. I didn't realise they split these events into alcoholic and non-alcoholic sections. I'm both excited and nervous to be in the booze section :P Gonna be fun though and I really can't wait to see what kind of pop Sotiropoulos gets

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    B:L wrote: »

See: your avatar and title/location.

I didn't actually think Kos would pull it off, but nobody else was going to take that bet.

Snarfmaster on
    edited December 2010
    ChillyWilly on
    edited December 2010
    "Jake Shields is comfortable standing with GSP, wants to fight him at UFC 131 in Toronto "

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

EDIT: Why hasn't NickTheFace been hired by the UFC?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gotta say I disagree with your assessment of this one, CW, Gracie's camp have been all over the place trying to get this fight not to happen; they were saying last week that Mahem had turned it down but Mahem was on Bruce Buffer's horrible radio show the other day saying the fight hasn't even been offered to him to turn down yet. The fight will probably never happen because Strikeforce is awesome at not making fights happen. :( Plus Gracie bringing up Shields' win over Miller isn't a great idea when IIRC Shields was saved by the clock during that fight.

Bellator on MTV2 is awesome news, I hope it applies to the UK, too.

Also Jake Shields bringing up the Hendo and Daley fights as how he's comfortable standing with people is pretty funny stuff, there is no way on earth he actually intends to stand with GSP.

edit: oh yeah this has been on my mind today, after JDS vs Cain, say Cain wins, what good fights are there for him in the UFC HW division? The only really interesting fights for Cain right now are JDS, Overeem and Fedor, to me.

815165 on
    edited December 2010
    "Jake Shields is comfortable standing with GSP, wants to fight him at UFC 131 in Toronto "

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

EDIT: Why hasn't NickTheFace been hired by the UFC?

Why do they need him when they have Drowning Pool music and gladiators?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Gotta say I disagree with your assessment of this one, CW, Gracie's camp have been all over the place trying to get this fight not to happen; they were saying last week that Mahem had turned it down but Mahem was on Bruce Buffer's horrible radio show the other day saying the fight hasn't even been offered to him to turn down yet. The fight will probably never happen because Strikeforce is awesome at not making fights happen. :(

I'm not really pulling for one side or the other. Both sides have been completely retarded in the way they've handled this. One side says a fights been offered, one side says the opposite. I don't really know which side to believe, honestly. I'd like to just get both fighters in a room with a mediator and have them lay everything out on the table to figure this BS out.

I just thought the link was hilarious because Cesar worded it pretty well. It'll be interesting to hear Mayhem's next response.

ChillyWilly on
    edited December 2010
  • Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Apparently Randy Couture may have just retired

If its true, I think it was a good decision by Randy. He is just getting too old and lately his fights haven't been all that exciting.

Hocky27 on