As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Alcohol Exchange Network

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll be making my first sojourn to the PAX this year, and I'll be bringing a couple of things. I'm planning on at least 750 of Scotch (haven't decided between a Highland or Islay Single Malt) and a 750 of Chateau Tariquet VSOP Armagnac (cognac's must tastier cousin).

Looking at the Washington laws, that might be all I risk.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You guys really need to stop fearmongering about interstate commerce laws. I've lived here almost all of my life, my family locally goes back three generations, and I've never even in the most tangental anecdote ever heard of somebody in their car being busted for violating interstate commerce laws.

I'm not saying anybody should break laws, but if you do, you really don't need to be paranoid about it. Unless you have drugs in your car, no LEO is going to care.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm flying in, so I'm more afraid of the TSA and airport security ruining my trip.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Taking a brief look at the price lists for both states, there really doesn't appear to be that much difference (Oregon, Washington - Hit "Display List", the out-the-door price is bolded).

I'll definitely be bringing booze up with me; right now it'll probably be Skittles Vodka, provided I can come up with a less pain-in-the-ass way of making it.

Skittles.. Vodka?
    Skittles, as in the candy?
    Vodka, as in the alcohol?
    YOU CAN COMBINE THEM?

SergeantAuberie on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Taking a brief look at the price lists for both states, there really doesn't appear to be that much difference (Oregon, Washington - Hit "Display List", the out-the-door price is bolded).

I'll definitely be bringing booze up with me; right now it'll probably be Skittles Vodka, provided I can come up with a less pain-in-the-ass way of making it.

Skittles.. Vodka?
    Skittles, as in the candy?
    Vodka, as in the alcohol?
    YOU CAN COMBINE THEM?

So I can get drunk and have a sugar rush at the same time?! This is either gonna be really fun or leave lot's of videos to blackmail me with.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Skittles vodka is pure AWESOME. :D

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Methos645Methos645 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh I will definately be bringing some booze. And the skittles vodka just has me curious beyond belief. My brother is currently designing a large alcohol-friendly duffle bag...who am I to argue? I will post pictures once it is finished.

Methos645 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    I will trade nearly anything for SkittleVodka.
    Like cookies.. or Ohio-related alcohol.
    Or teach me how to make it.
    Skittles are my favorite thing in the whole world..
    aside from PAX, of course.

SergeantAuberie on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I will trade nearly anything for SkittleVodka.
    Like cookies.. or Ohio-related alcohol.
    Or teach me how to make it.
    Skittles are my favorite thing in the whole world..
    aside from PAX, of course.

Seconded.

Hell I think I might just have to bring a pack or 2 of my fav type of Skittles for some more fun.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, that was a really delayed reaction. I guess now I have to bring some, although before I make any large quantities I want to experiment with Jolly Rancher vodka. It should be easier to make because Skittles has a bunch of stuff that's insoluble that you don't want to digest.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Skittles Vodka sounds intriguing. I will have to try that sometime! I'd say one of the best "portable" ways to drink Vodka at conventions is to add some to a 20oz bottle of Pepsi. 8-) Jack & Coke is another good option...

However, I shall be alcohol-free at PAX though since I will be driving home in the evening.

padmeamanda on
  • splinx001splinx001 Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    I know it's a drinkable thread, but anything smokable being talked about here? ;-)

splinx001 on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    splinx001 wrote: »
    I know it's a drinkable thread, but anything smokable being talked about here? ;-)

This sounds like a trap.

Highfire on
    edited May 2007
    Highfire wrote: »

This sounds like a trap.

Especially considering it's his first post.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2007

Not that I've seen to this point. Although I'm sure I'll have a few purro's to enjoy over the weekend. I'm thinking of some Romeo et Julieta's, although if I have enough some Cohibas aren't out of the question.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GoudeifGoudeif Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll be sure to bring some Chimay and a few other good beers. Hopefully I can find some place that sells some Stone. All I can find out here is the Arrogant Bastard and the IPA. I may even bring my bottle of 2005 Sam Adams Utopias.

Goudeif on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Skittles Vodka sounds intriguing. I will have to try that sometime! I'd say one of the best "portable" ways to drink Vodka at conventions is to add some to a 20oz bottle of Pepsi. 8-) Jack & Coke is another good option...

However, I shall be alcohol-free at PAX though since I will be driving home in the evening.

There's also no alcohol permitted in the convention itself.

b0wser on
    edited May 2007
    Goudeif wrote: »
    I'll be sure to bring some Chimay and a few other good beers. Hopefully I can find some place that sells some Stone. All I can find out here is the Arrogant Bastard and the IPA. I may even bring my bottle of 2005 Sam Adams Utopias.

I've been meaning to try Utopias, a naturally fermented beverage topping out at or above 20% facinates me. Although I'm not a big fan of the Chimay trappists, I'm a Rouchefort or Westveltern kind of guy.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

This sounds like a trap.

Obligitory penis comment

Grath on
  • GoudeifGoudeif Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Goudeif wrote: »

I've been meaning to try Utopias, a naturally fermented beverage topping out at or above 20% facinates me. Although I'm not a big fan of the Chimay trappists, I'm a Rouchefort or Westveltern kind of guy.

The 2005 brew is supposed to be around 25%.

I love the Rochefort 8. The 10 and the 6 weren't too bad but I like Chimay Blue and White better. Still haven't been able to find any Westvleteren though I hear it's amazing. It's getting to the point where I'd consider trading my Sam Adams Millennium for a bottle or two of each of the Westy's.

Goudeif on
  • uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Grath wrote: »

This sounds like a trap.

Obligitory penis comment

Buttsecks?

uc4life on
    edited May 2007
    uc4life wrote: »

This sounds like a trap.

Obligitory penis comment

Buttsecks?

^Surprise

(I happen to like "traps" but then I suppose I'll save that for the F3 boards. *cough*)

Back on topic: why is it that I cannot find a domestic wine that doesn't totally suck? I think in my life I have found one, maybe two that were palatable. I have bought bottles which after half a glass I've poured down the sink. What's wrong with American wineries? I keep hearing that Washington state itself is some hot new property on the wine market, becoming especially popular in the emerging wine markets of Asia, but most of it I can't stand, and I've never met a Californian... wine I didn't hate.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2007

This sounds like a trap.

Obligitory penis comment

Buttsecks?

^Surprise

(I happen to like "traps" but then I suppose I'll save that for the F3 boards. *cough*)

Back on topic: why is it that I cannot find a domestic wine that doesn't totally suck? I think in my life I have found one, maybe two that were palatable. I have bought bottles which after half a glass I've poured down the sink. What's wrong with American wineries? I keep hearing that Washington state itself is some hot new property on the wine market, becoming especially popular in the emerging wine markets of Asia, but most of it I can't stand, and I've never met a Californian... wine I didn't hate.

Stop by my place before Pax, ive got some good domestic stuff in my cellar
    2020.jpg

uc4life on
    edited May 2007

2020.jpg

"Fortified wines of minimal price and quality have a reputation as the intoxicant of choice among the underage and poor; in the United States they are often known as "bum wines", due to their perceived association with the homeless. They are typically fortified with grape alcohol. The most popular US beverages typically included in this category are Thunderbird, MD 20/20, Cisco, Night Train, and Wild Irish Rose."

Surely you jest. If I could find a clip or still image from A New Leaf of Walter Matthau's expression when he tried Mogen David's Extra-heavy Malaga Wine, I would post that in response.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2007

2020.jpg

"Fortified wines of minimal price and quality have a reputation as the intoxicant of choice among the underage and poor; in the United States they are often known as "bum wines", due to their perceived association with the homeless. They are typically fortified with grape alcohol. The most popular US beverages typically included in this category are Thunderbird, MD 20/20, Cisco, Night Train, and Wild Irish Rose."

Surely you jest. If I could find a clip or still image from A New Leaf of Walter Matthau's expression when he tried Mogen David's Extra-heavy Malaga Wine, I would post that in response.

I find it hard to find a good Merlot, myself. But I'm picky about it. I like mine to have age a the least six years. I was stun to find a seven year old bottle, for $20 bucks. That had a smooth taste.

Highfire on
    edited May 2007
    I'm not too surprised you're finding gems, the Merlot industry was ruined by all the plebes who watched Sideways. Suddenly it was hip and cool to denigrate Merlot and worship Pinot Noir.

Personally they can all go hang, my favorite is Gewurtztraminer, which does get grown in Washington, but I've only seen one vintner get it right. Every year my fiance and I go to Leavenworth to a small basement shop that specializes in German wine imports and buy a diverse case of Gewurtz-es and Rieslings, most of which have proved to be awesome.

I also like a Greek Retsina now and then.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2007
    I'm not too surprised you're finding gems, the Merlot industry was ruined by all the plebes who watched Sideways. Suddenly it was hip and cool to denigrate Merlot and worship Pinot Noir.

Personally they can all go hang, my favorite is Gewurtztraminer, which does get grown in Washington, but I've only seen one vintner get it right. Every year my fiance and I go to Leavenworth to a small basement shop that specializes in German wine imports and buy a diverse case of Gewurtz-es and Rieslings, most of which have proved to be awesome.

I also like a Greek Retsina now and then.

Someone gave me sometime back a few bottles of Zinfandel, but I can't do that. I find it too much for me. For one, the white(which is pink for fuck sake) is very sweet. And is like candy to me. And two, the red has a port feel to it. Which I've never enjoyed at all.

Highfire on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Which is rather fascinating, because who wants to emulate a short, balding nebbish who has to steal money from his mother in order to go on a week-long bender? Maybe they all hope that in spite of all that, some Virginia Madsen-calibre hottie will suddenly fall in love with them if they eschew Merlot. Good luck with that.

He did have a point, though. Pinot Noir is sublime when grown right. And lucky me, I live biking distance from some awesome Willamette Valley vineyards (Chateau Lorraine and King Estate are my two faves). If anyone wants to sample some of that, post here.

Otherwise, I'm bringing Charles Shaw Cabernet. By far the best value/price ratio the planet has ever known.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Two buck Chuck? You'll nay get anything from me for that. :P

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Two buck Chuck? You'll nay get anything from me for that. :P

Actually, it's Three Buck Chuck here in Oregon.

And yes, I know such an admission is akin to walking into a microbrew pub and ordering a Shlitz. But man, three bucks for a bottle of wine. I can't understand why anyone goes the fortified route when you could be drinking this stuff. Huh. Maybe that does explain the large, drunken homeless situation in my town.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mmm, three buck Chuck. I have no taste for wine, and my wine-snob friends would hate me for this, but I actually like the stuff (well, watered down or with juice, the way I like any red wine). I've discovered it goes very well in Dr Pepper.

Note to self, remember to bring Dr Pepper to PAX.

Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
    edited May 2007
    Euphasie wrote: »
    ...I've discovered it goes very well in Dr Pepper.

You mix wine... and Dr... Pepper............... O_o D:

A part of me is dying whilst yelling iiiiieeh like a Japanese schoolgirl getting raped in a hentai. There really is no accounting for taste.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll be putting my effort into finding Amstel Light again this year. I can't get it in Canada, and I support it as being a far better sponsor of the UEFA Champions League than Heineken.

b0wser on
    edited May 2007
    ...I've discovered it goes very well in Dr Pepper.

You mix wine... and Dr... Pepper............... O_o D:

A part of me is dying whilst yelling iiiiieeh like a Japanese schoolgirl getting raped in a hentai. There really is no accounting for taste.

I agree, while reading that post I went through a few different emotions.

-water or juice
    "HUH? That sure is weird, but I guess whatever floats your b.."

-Dr. Pepper
    "OH GOD, NO, THIS CREATURE MUST BE STOPPED, BURN IT!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! DON'T LET ANYONE EVER KNOW ABOUT THIS ATROCITY, IT WILL BE CHAOS, CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER. CAPITAL LETTERS!!!!!"

uc4life on
  • EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, the water is just because the taste is too strong for me, and because I have a bunch of classics-major friends I feel that i'm following in the grand Roman tradition. Juice, well, really, sangria is the most delicious thing.

The Dr Pepper I fully acknowledge as an abomination upon thinking creatures, but it's better than you think. They drink wine and coke in Spain, and the Dr Pepper's slight fruitness really goes with cheap red wine, while also making some of the flavor that makes it *cheap* wine.

...also, it was totally my boyfriend's fault and I would never have tried it if he hadn't mixed it for me. We were out of rum, I was young and desperate!

Edit: Oh, and sparkling pomegranate juice and red wine are fantastically delicious, as we discovered one Thanksgiving.

Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
  • ZenbuZenbu Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    My fellow alaskans and I could plan on bringing some growlers from moose's/bear tooth full of some homebrew ale.

I'll probably bring down 2 growlers full of apple ale, it's sooooo damn good!

Zenbu on
    edited May 2007
    Well, the water is just because the taste is too strong for me, and because I have a bunch of classics-major friends I feel that i'm following in the grand Roman tradition. Juice, well, really, sangria is the most delicious thing.

The Dr Pepper I fully acknowledge as an abomination upon thinking creatures, but it's better than you think. They drink wine and coke in Spain, and the Dr Pepper's slight fruitness really goes with cheap red wine, while also making some of the flavor that makes it *cheap* wine.

...also, it was totally my boyfriend's fault and I would never have tried it if he hadn't mixed it for me. We were out of rum, I was young and desperate!

Edit: Oh, and sparkling pomegranate juice and red wine are fantastically delicious, as we discovered one Thanksgiving.

In Ohio, we have a wine called Purple Trillium, it goes very well with Sprite.

We serve the wine (minus the sprite) where I work, and one afternoon, we had a paid wine tasting session. Upon sampling the Purple Trillium, my boss asked us what we knew about the wine (as we are supposed to know different things to tell the customers) and one of my coworkers blurted out "it goes really good with Sprite!" Of course, we all had to try it.

I generally don't like Dr. Pepper though. But to each his own.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2007

In Ohio, we have a wine called Purple Trillium, it goes very well with Sprite.

We serve the wine (minus the sprite) where I work, and one afternoon, we had a paid wine tasting session. Upon sampling the Purple Trillium, my boss asked us what we knew about the wine (as we are supposed to know different things to tell the customers) and one of my coworkers blurted out "it goes really good with Sprite!" Of course, we all had to try it.

I generally don't like Dr. Pepper though. But to each his own.

We do?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited May 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    We do?

Yup.
    Red Wine.
    Manufactured in Cincinnati.

Info from Cincy Winefest.

Read under "local wineries," toward the middle right of the page.
    Where in Ohio do you hail from?

SergeantAuberie on
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nonono, Dr. Pepper goes with Fireball.
    For caffeene and cinnamon whisky fueled insanity

teamquiggan on
This discussion has been closed.