As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 12-15-10: You don't get to "mansplain" to me!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Graphic Violence
Batman & Robin #18, Cornell's new villain is pretty good at walking the line between a threat and crazy:
She got shot in the head, and survived because of the chemicals in the Gotham River. But the hole in her head makes her absorb more oxygen into her brain (what's left) and she's a bit crazy. Bruce (who was Hush at the time) didn't even show up to her funeral so she's taking it out on Batman Inc. and previous girlfriends of Bruce.

br18a.jpg

And then she visits Vicki Vale with giant scissors:

br18b.jpg

And the cover to Avengers vs. Pet Avengers #3 is accurate, as it's a rumble between the teams; Lockjaw shows Mockingbird how to fight:

avpa3a.jpg

And there was a splash page where Spider-Man hits Lockjaw with webbing, the Spider-jerk

Ig Guara really deserves a shot at drawing an arc of New Avengers or something, because his people are just as expressive as his pets.

TexiKen on

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Spider-Man doesn't like cats?

I hate him now

Solar on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love him now

wait I've always loved him

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Spider-Man recognize Ms. Lion?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Was that a Black Cat dig?

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does Spider-Man recognize Ms. Lion?

No, but Ms. Lion actually says that he's the nephew of his owner, so should they really be fighting one another?

We see in one page that Wolverine and Hairball actually have the same mindset though. It was just a fun issue, but all Pet Avengers stories are (and they have enough minis now to make a nice deluxe hardcover, do that Marvel).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So what exactly did she get shot with that left such a big damn hole?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really enjoyed Thunderbolts this week. My scanner's busted, so I can't post the scenes, but Ghost going all Punisher on the people that ruined his life is really cool. Kev Walker drew him in a version of his old outfit, and it looked really, really cool.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So what exactly did she get shot with that left such a big damn hole?

A regular handheld pistol, just at point blank range.

And I'll bail you out Munch, here's some pages from T-Bolts #151; it was a good issue, and at first I was a bit annoyed it was going to be a whole issue telling us about Ghost, but it did enough original things at the end to make it work, and I liked how they black out Ghost's real name the whole way through. And Karla was written pretty well in character. I do wonder why Walker drew this issue, as it seemed more like a one-off fill-in type issue, but maybe Walker's more punctual than I thought.

Ghost was a programmer for a tech company who was creating something big, and the boss actually hires a girl to make him more responsive to creating the system (ie sex the nerd up). He delivers and then the boss kills the girl and Ghost, but he uses the technology on himself to "ghost" halfway out of the explosion meant to kill him and also finds out about everyone setting him up and using him like he's expendable. He exacts revenge on these people:

tb151a.jpg

tb151b.jpg

And also kills his boss by making his plane crash into an oil tanker.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    During Batman & Robin I noticed the art getting a lot better and then had to check and yep, Scott McDaniel didn't draw all of it

Sometimes I like his art, but sometimes it's too exaggerated. The other artist, Christopher Jones, was just the right mix, though. I don't think I've noticed his art before but I really liked it.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    During Batman & Robin I noticed the art getting a lot better and then had to check and yep, Scott McDaniel didn't draw all of it

Sometimes I like his art, but sometimes it's too exaggerated. The other artist, Christopher Jones, was just the right mix, though. I don't think I've noticed his art before but I really liked it.

Man

I don't know. I look at that stuff and I'm really happy I haven't bought any of the new B&R.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Unless the complaint is that the style doesn't match the dark and serious Batman (which I do get) I really don't get all the whinging about the B&R art; it's characterful, well laid-out, and expressive. Maybe I'm just too used to comics that aren't about superheroes.

admanb on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My comic book shop didn't get Thor: TMA 7 for me last week so I got it this week :)

Jane and Thor having too much fun during the night to hear an entire street get trashed outside of their home? Wow. Still bummed out that the next issue is the last one. :(

kfrooster on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, I felt like Ghost's backstory was the stereotypical tragic background, though it had some neat wrinkles at the end

There's also the chance he's just making shit up to throw Moonstone off the trail

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    See, I think that's why it worked for me. It's almost an anti-climax. We finally learn what this dude's deal is, and.. he's just some geek who was happy for about five minutes, and has spent the last few years having a massive overreaction.

It sort of ties into his appearance at the start of Parker's run. When he's Ghost, he's a terrifying corporate terrorist, the guy who's always ten steps ahead of everyone else. When he's [name redacted], he's just some dude.

Munch on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really like Absence's backstory, it was silly in just the way I like

Tairu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2010
    Supergirl #59 had Krypto in the holiday spirit

10zct5e.jpg
    wcjts0.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

CarbonRod on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

10zct5e.jpg
    wcjts0.jpg

Looks like I'm buying Supergirl next week, is there more Krypto in the issue?

I'm surprised there hasn't been a holiday story where Krypto carries Santa's sleigh around the world because Lex Luthor poisoned all the reindeers (I'm gonna write this story right now patent pending).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, I felt like Ghost's backstory was the stereotypical tragic background, though it had some neat wrinkles at the end

There's also the chance he's just making shit up to throw Moonstone off the trail

I got that kind of impression as well, considering what he says to her after recounting his tale.

Also holy shit at the new Thunderbolt

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    who is the new thunderbolt?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Daaaaaaaaaaamn!

Solar on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    oh holy fuck

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

10zct5e.jpg
    wcjts0.jpg

Looks like I'm buying Supergirl next week, is there more Krypto in the issue?

I'm surprised there hasn't been a holiday story where Krypto carries Santa's sleigh around the world because Lex Luthor poisoned all the reindeers (I'm gonna write this story right now patent pending).

Nope, that's his appearance right there (and one more panel with superboy playing with him)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Which one is it? The Squadron Sinister villain? When was he captured?

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I believe it's the one from Nicieza's T-Bolts finale, yeah.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Saw this on S_D, and it was a neat HERBIE moment. From Iron Man Legacy #9:

This takes place when Tony was broke the first time, and in LA trying to get a tech company started up.

iml9a.jpg

HERBIE with check writing ability, that's classy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    For a super genius with crazy technology why does Reed still use cheques? It's like having a star trek teleporter but still using the bus.

Style points are won, certainly, but come on!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    For a super genius with crazy technology why does Reed still use cheques? It's like having a star trek teleporter but still using the bus.

Style points are won, certainly, but come on!

Because the art of the "wow... that's a lot of zeros" moment hasn't yet been developed for the 21st century.

admanb on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, it's a flashback thingo.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I wonder what kind of magic allows her to have that big a hole in her head and not die.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    T-Bolts Member:
    I didn't read Nicieza's Thunderbolts, but I did read Exiles where Hyperion wrecked everyone's faces. (Including my beloved blue-skinned Namora... *sadface*) What's the deal with this Hyperion?

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    T-Bolts Member:
    I didn't read Nicieza's Thunderbolts, but I did read Exiles where Hyperion wrecked everyone's faces. (Including my beloved blue-skinned Namora... *sadface*) What's the deal with this Hyperion?
    Looks like it's the original, who was resurrected by the Grandmaster, to fight Zemo's Thunderbolts.

I'm going to enjoy seeing Parker justify Luke getting rid of a psychopathic racist, who at least wasn't much of a threat to the rest of the team, and replacing him with a guy who's basically Evil Superman.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I wonder what kind of magic allows her to have that big a hole in her head and not die.

They explain that.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Did anyone buy Strange Tales II #3? Because going by the Weekly Crisis reviews it has one of the best stories ever that I've never read:
    Benjamin Marra then offers up John Walker: U.S. Agent and he’s up against terrorism, spliced with ‘raptor DNA, and with a nuclear weapon on its back. That intro alone should tell you the type of awesome this tale work with. On route to heroism, Walker regales his female companion with tales all about how awesome he is. Then her clothes are ripped off by the Terror-Saur. Walker steps in with countless moves of his own terror and saves the day with John Wayne’s gun. If you can’t see Bruce Campbell in this role then you aren’t reading it right, I say. This tale might be stupid but it’s definitely my kind of stupid.
    usagentiscool.jpg

:^::D:^:

Need that book.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    admanb wrote: »

They explain that.

I should hope so, because even if the shot somehow didn't kill her, the infection will.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Infections, like gamma radiation, provide super powers not death. Though radiation has been replaced by nanobots and genetic/DNA manipulation in recent years.

I can't wait for a superhero who has black hole powers because his high school class had a field trip to the LHC.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Infections, like gamma radiation, provide super powers not death. Though radiation has been replaced by nanobots and genetic/DNA manipulation in recent years.

I can't wait for a superhero who has black hole powers because his high school class had a field trip to the LHC.

Gravity got his powers from falling into a miniature black hole in Lake Michigan I believe

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »

Gravity got his powers from falling into a miniature black hole in Lake Michigan I believe

In the Spider-man animated series from the 90's, The Spot got his powers from falling into an artificially made black hole as well.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So I was amused by Creole getting into a pissing contest with The God-damned Batman in BoP. Yeah, Batman is just going to lay out all the weapons on his person because the doorman asks him to.

Just_Bri_Thanks on