As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Implementation of changes?

Vince...Vince... Registered User regular
I've heard through the grapevine that there are going to be some changes to SE++. I'm skeptical, since they were rumor, but I figured I should ask anyway. Are there changes going to be made to SE? If so, when would they happen?

The reason I ask is because, frankly, the sooner the better. Something needs to be done to clean up SE. But I won't clutter Ramius' Place with my complaints unless he (or someone else, like a mod) would like to hear my (probably unimportant) opinions and rantings.

ohsnapussmall.jpg Updated 6/18/2005 New Music
Vince... on

• OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    I think SE is a bit beyond help. In order to be good, it needs the freedom, but if people abuse that freedom by being idiots it sucks.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    And, since people are abusing the freedom...

matthias00 on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    matthias00 wrote:

SE will continue to be full of rubish.....

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    matthias00 wrote:

'tis not full of rubish. there are diamonds in there. I've seen 'em

futility on
    edited January 2004
    futility wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:
    matthias00 wrote:

'tis not full of rubish. there are diamonds in there. I've seen 'em

Diamonds in the rough.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    We could start temp-banning people whose only contribution to a thread is to call for it to be moved. It could be like H-scroll rule mark 2.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • 8.3 Fl Oz8.3 Fl Oz Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    bone daddy wrote:
    We could start temp-banning people whose only contribution to a thread is to call for it to be moved. It could be like H-scroll rule mark 2.
    You know, I would hate this. How come it is our fault if someone comes into SE++ and posts "OMG LOTR VIDEO IS HARD/SHOULD I BUY MARIO KART?" and we tell them where to go. I mean, I hate the "well, this is the only forum that people will answer me" or "No one goes to Help/Advice" and complaints like that.
    We're damned if we don't answer them, or damned when we answer them and they are all "you guys are too off topic/help me with my problem that shouldn't have been asked in here anyway" and stuff.
    We need a bigger "THERE BE MONSTERS" in the SE++ description.

8.3 Fl Oz on
    Ingredients: CARBONATED WATER, SUCROSE, GLUCOSE, SODIUM CITRATE, TAURINE, GLUCURONOLACTONE, CAFFEINE, INOSITOL, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM-PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HCL, VITAMIN B12, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS.
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    8.3 Fl Oz wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:
    You know, I would hate this. How come it is our fault if someone comes into SE++ and posts "OMG LOTR VIDEO IS HARD/SHOULD I BUY MARIO KART?" and we tell them where to go. I mean, I hate the "well, this is the only forum that people will answer me" or "No one goes to Help/Advice" and complaints like that.
    We're damned if we don't answer them, or damned when we answer them and they are all "you guys are too off topic/help me with my problem that shouldn't have been asked in here anyway" and stuff.
    We need a bigger "THERE BE MONSTERS" in the SE++ description.

You make good points, 8.3.

But we are trying to change the culture of SE++ here just a little bit. We don't want people playing "backseat mod" and showing up in a thread just to say MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT. We want it to be clear that SE is a place for any topic, just discussed in a more casual format. It is going to take some time to get people to realize this and to stop posting OMG LINKZVIL in every link thread in SE++. But we mean to do it as it'll improve the variety and amount of good stuff in SE.

The way I'm going to handle it is as follows. If someone posts, say a game thread, the first person to post OMG G&T gets duly bitched out and warned about not doing that anymore. If the thread creator starts bitching and moaning about how he's not getting his answer or the on-topic discussion he thinks he deserves, then the thread gets locked.

Anyway, yeah, we're trying to make a change here so help us out and support us, because having more variety and more stuff people feel they can talk about, is going to be good for SE++. And this will be better for other forums, who don't have to deal with hijacked SE threads being moved into their territory all the time.

150cc on
  • meddleRPImeddleRPI Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    I find it funny when a few weeks ago I posted that the forums have changed, got flamed for it, and now we're trying to change the culture of the forum.

meddleRPI on
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, great ... all well and good, but usually it is us trying to be helpful. I mean, I know, we are such angry retard fish that we are incapable of trying to help people, but I like how we are going to be the ones that get punished for a person's ignorance and illiteracy. If we can't warn people about posting a wrong topic in the wrong place at the wrong time, then tell me how are we supposed to help?

8.3 Fl Oz on
    Ingredients: CARBONATED WATER, SUCROSE, GLUCOSE, SODIUM CITRATE, TAURINE, GLUCURONOLACTONE, CAFFEINE, INOSITOL, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM-PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HCL, VITAMIN B12, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS.
    edited January 2004
    I think the point is that often people post LINKSVILLE or G+T when it could just as easily be a SE topic. There is no reason that games can't be discussed in SE.
    The majority of the time, the thing that determins weather the wrong forum flames appear is just who posts the topic.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited January 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    I think the point is that often people post LINKSVILLE or G+T when it could just as easily be a SE topic. There is no reason that games can't be discussed in SE.
    The majority of the time, the thing that determins weather the wrong forum flames appear is just who posts the topic.
    Yeah, I know, we usually though hijack bad threads with video game shit only. I mean, I'm not coming out too clear with my point ... but it is like I'm saying that I feel that SE++ folks are the only ones who understand that there are multiple forums to post at, and where ever you post at isn't your little cliche only. I'm looking at AC and G&T, with their chat threads, that want to only keep to one group of people no matter what the subject and if someone new comes in and posts something that they don't like, they can always "just dump it into SE". I'm thinking you guys are telling us that SE++ really doesn't have that option. We have to buck up and answer "LOOK AT THIS COOL LINK/MY SHITTY WEBCOMIC/HELP ME WITH FINAL FANTASY XI" because we need to grow up. or something.

8.3 Fl Oz on
    edited January 2004
    I see what you mean, but I think that is more that they shouldn't move their shitty threads to SE instead of locking them.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited January 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    I see what you mean, but I think that is more that they shouldn't move their shitty threads to SE instead of locking them.
    This I have always agreed with.

8.3 Fl Oz on
    edited January 2004
    I don't care if someone answers, then adds "but this should really be in *other forum name here*." Call the author a goddamn fucking retard if that's what they're being. But if a person's only response is H/A or EE or LINKSVILLE in giant red letters, it gets annoying. Especially if the thread's shit anyway. Throwing your trash over the fence only works if your neighbor's a blind alcoholic seventy-five-year-old.

*If a thread should be locked, it should be locked. It shouldn't be shrugged off on someone else because you don't feel like dealing with it. Redx could probably tell you how annoying that gets.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
    edited January 2004
    bone daddy wrote:
    Throwing your trash over the fence only works if your neighbor's a blind alcoholic seventy-five-year-old.

Exactly why the other forums shouldn't move rubbish to SE.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited January 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:
    Throwing your trash over the fence only works if your neighbor's a blind alcoholic seventy-five-year-old.

Exactly why the other forums shouldn't move rubbish to SE.

If it's a decent thread but not H/A material, I might move it. If the author asks that it be moved to a more appropriate forum, I will move it. That rarely happens, though. It's usually more something along the lines of someone who's started a stupid thread in order to troll. Then it gets locked, not moved. Weptastic was bad about crap like that.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    edited January 2004
    bone daddy wrote:
    I don't care if someone answers, then adds "but this should really be in *other forum name here*." Call the author a goddamn fucking retard if that's what they're being. But if a person's only response is H/A or EE or LINKSVILLE in giant red letters, it gets annoying. Especially if the thread's shit anyway. Throwing your trash over the fence only works if your neighbor's a blind alcoholic seventy-five-year-old.

*If a thread should be locked, it should be locked. It shouldn't be shrugged off on someone else because you don't feel like dealing with it. Redx could probably tell you how annoying that gets.
    See, I'm going to need examples. The only examples I usually see is "N00B1E MCMORAN" types in "Xbox is huge/What games should I buy for it" and we tell him where to go, because it is about to get ugly, Noobie McNooberson tells us "but nobody goes there/answered me" and you guys are going to temp ban us for a couple days. Over that one idiot not reading the rules (Is this going to be banned soon too, then?) and posting wrong.

8.3 Fl Oz on
    edited January 2004
    I havn't noticed you doing it, but there is the occassional thread that is absolute shit in G+T or EE that gets moved into SE.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited January 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    I havn't noticed you doing it, but there is the occassional thread that is absolute shit in G+T or EE that gets moved into SE.
    I know you two know this, and most SE++ mods know this ... I'm just asking why you guys are so bothered with this. THIS is the biggest problem with SE++?

8.3 Fl Oz on
    edited January 2004
    8.3 Fl Oz wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:

See, I'm going to need examples. The only examples I usually see is "N00B1E MCMORAN" types in "Xbox is huge/What games should I buy for it" and we tell him where to go, because it is about to get ugly, Noobie McNooberson tells us "but nobody goes there/answered me" and you guys are going to temp ban us for a couple days. Over that one idiot not reading the rules (Is this going to be banned soon too, then?) and posting wrong.

A good example was this. That thread should have been locked, not moved. If he wanted to repost it in H/A, maybe minus the 'you whores' and plus a few system details, that would have been all well and good. As it stood, it smacked of trolling and asshattery.

Suggesting H/A or EE isn't necessarily a bad idea, but some people have gotten into the habit of howling for blood anytime someone tries to start a thread that might possibly by some definition qualify for another forum in SE++. It's like they're convinced that SE++ regs are incapable of giving advice, talking about games, or having any kind of decent discussion not involving titties, buttsex, or the minutia of Shoe's day.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    edited January 2004
    By that definiton I agree. It's annoying as fuck when someone tries to discuss a game and gets nothing but flames.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    Everyone listen to bone daddy.

150cc on
    edited January 2004
    BoneDaddy wrote:
    A good example was this. That thread should have been locked, not moved. If he wanted to repost it in H/A, maybe minus the 'you whores' and plus a few system details, that would have been all well and good. As it stood, it smacked of trolling and asshattery.

Suggesting H/A or EE isn't necessarily a bad idea, but some people have gotten into the habit of howling for blood anytime someone tries to start a thread that might possibly by some definition qualify for another forum in SE++. It's like they're convinced that SE++ regs are incapable of giving advice, talking about games, or having any kind of decent discussion not involving titties, buttsex, or the minutia of Shoe's day.
    The reason we get so pissed off is for the same reason we hate "Hi! I'm new!" threads ... we have seen them SO MANY TIMES IT IS PAST FUNNY. I think I was one of the first guys in SE++ when we branched to start this stuff, and I gave up because it wouldn't do anything. We have dry spots in between mod moves/locks, and sometimes they leave it open FOR us to destroy. I'm not in the position to do anything about it, but again why should someone be banned for trying to rail into the brain of a moron (which even with the bright letters they STILL DON'T GET IT) of reading the rules/post in the right forum. I guess my answer is a bigger, bright red "HERE BE MONSTERS" or something. :D
    Orthanc wrote:
    By that definiton I agree. It's annoying as fuck when someone tries to discuss a game and gets nothing but flames.
    Yeah, yeah, but regs also know how to do it. We talk about games in other threads, we don't make a new fucking topic about it. The problem is FLOODING THE PRECIOUS FIRST PAGE WITH NON-SE++ GOODNESS. And who wants to talk to us about games anyway, SniperGay?

8.3 Fl Oz on
  • TezkahTezkah Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    bone daddy wrote:
    It's like they're convinced that SE++ regs are incapable of giving advice, talking about games, or having any kind of decent discussion not involving titties, buttsex, or the minutia of Shoe's day.

Wait wait, they/we are capable of this?

And 150CC should have superhuman powers.

Anyways, can you really do anything to tame SE++? Its really that place where you can go crazy and not cut your head open on the walls, like that crazy institution with the padded walls...

Tezkah on
    edited January 2004
    8.3 Fl Oz wrote:
    BoneDaddy wrote:

The reason we get so pissed off is for the same reason we hate "Hi! I'm new!" threads ... we have seen them SO MANY TIMES IT IS PAST FUNNY. I think I was one of the first guys in SE++ when we branched to start this stuff, and I gave up because it wouldn't do anything. We have dry spots in between mod moves/locks, and sometimes they leave it open FOR us to destroy. I'm not in the position to do anything about it, but again why should someone be banned for trying to rail into the brain of a moron (which even with the bright letters they STILL DON'T GET IT) of reading the rules/post in the right forum. I guess my answer is a bigger, bright red "HERE BE MONSTERS" or something. :D

Let me say this a little more clearly:
    Hey, guys--I wanna get a gun but I don't know what kind. I like pistols. And cheese. Could you tell me what to do?
    Shoot yourself in the face with the nearest available Colt 45. And go with the nacho-dip. And, seeing as we're hear to chat and have fun, not waste valuable time giving you advice about shit we don't care about, please to be finding the Help/Advice forum on the index page, you dumbass.

This would not get you banned.
    Hey, guys--I'm having trouble in photoshop. Some of my sprays are saving as this really wonky blue fuzz. I've never had this problem before. Does anyone know what this is?
    Um, the place for this would really probably be AC. You're not going to get many replies here. But you might want to try checking your defaults.

Hy, yuz guys--my computrs n0t werkin no more im postin frm my moms wut shuld i dooooooooo? kthnxbai
    H/A fucktard

This would get you banned.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    edited January 2004
    bone daddy wrote:
    Let me say this a little more clearly:
    Hey, guys--I wanna get a gun but I don't know what kind. I like pistols. And cheese. Could you tell me what to do?
    Shoot yourself in the face with the nearest available Colt 45. And go with the nacho-dip. And, seeing as we're hear to chat and have fun, not waste valuable time giving you advice about shit we don't care about, please to be finding the Help/Advice forum on the index page, you dumbass.

Hey, guys--I'm having trouble in photoshop. Some of my sprays are saving as this really wonky blue fuzz. I've never had this problem before. Does anyone know what this is?
    Um, the place for this would really probably be AC. You're not going to get many replies here. But you might want to try checking your defaults.

Hy, yuz guys--my computrs n0t werkin no more im postin frm my moms wut shuld i dooooooooo? kthnxbai
    H/A fucktard

This would get you banned.
    How about ....but the sould still burns.? I'm thinking that is where it came from ... actually.

8.3 Fl Oz on
    edited January 2004
    Calling him a fucktard without mentioning another forum is still kosher, you know.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    edited January 2004
    bone daddy wrote:
    Calling him a fucktard without mentioning another forum is still kosher, you know.
    I know. I'm thinking that we learned something today. I think that some of us learned not to just reply with big fucking letters telling them what forum it should have been in, and some of us learned not to dump our trash in SE++. That, and women have germs.

8.3 Fl Oz on
    edited January 2004
    I'm still partial to ENGLISH FUCKTARD in cases like your final example

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited January 2004
    I have no quarrel with the classics.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    i'm always pissed of because people don't read the rules.

futility on
    edited January 2004
    futility wrote:
    i'm always pissed of because people don't read the rules.

This has been an uncle Futility announcement

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Grayman222Grayman222 Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. Now to fix my avatarz.

Grayman222 on
    "A TRUE POSTHUNK" -150cc
  • Vince...Vince... Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    This is the reason why SE is bad:
    8. Thou shalt maintain the sanctity of the board divisions.
    Don't post a question about a video game or your webcomic in Social Entropy. Take it to the appropriate forum.

Now, I realize SE is about chatting and things, but what are we supposed to chat about if we're not allowed to talk about art, Video games, technology, LOTR, FFXI, interesting links, asking advice, etc? The only thing that this rule allows is really just a haphazard amalgamation of postwhores, hijackers, and trolls. This rule bascially says "The only thing you can do here is be an asshole". And I believe this is one of the things that should be eliminated if and when changes occur.

Vince... on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited January 2004
    Vince... wrote:
    Don't post a question about a video game or your webcomic in Social Entropy. Take it to the appropriate forum.

Now, I realize SE is about chatting and things, but what are we supposed to chat about if we're not allowed to talk about art, Video games, technology, LOTR, FFXI, interesting links, asking advice, etc? The only thing that this rule allows is really just a haphazard amalgamation of postwhores, hijackers, and trolls. This rule bascially says "The only thing you can do here is be an asshole".

I believe this is one of the things that should be eliminated if and when changes occur.
    Rule 8 has now been removed.

Changes are constantly occuring. Some are more major or noticable than others, and so they might be considered "landmark" changes, but most are just implemented on an ad-hoc basis. That whole rules thread is a great example of this. As well as the forum descriptions on each of the subforums. They were put in because something had to be put in, and ever since are what I would consider a "work in progress".

If anyone at any time wants to discuss or revise any rules anywhere on the forum, feel free to do so here in Ramius's Place. Some stuff just doesn't get updated or rewritten simply due to a lack of time. If someone has free time and wants to take a stab at updating or rewriting some rules, by all means contact me. Some rules I might feel strongly about, but many I would be willing to reconsider.

Ramius on
  • Vince...Vince... Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    Vince... wrote:

Now, I realize SE is about chatting and things, but what are we supposed to chat about if we're not allowed to talk about art, Video games, technology, LOTR, FFXI, interesting links, asking advice, etc? The only thing that this rule allows is really just a haphazard amalgamation of postwhores, hijackers, and trolls. This rule bascially says "The only thing you can do here is be an asshole".

I believe this is one of the things that should be eliminated if and when changes occur.

Changes are constantly occuring. Some are more major or noticable than others, and so they might be considered "landmark" changes, but most are just implemented on an ad-hoc basis. That whole rules thread is a great example of this. As well as the forum descriptions on each of the subforums. They were put in because something had to be put in, and ever since are what I would consider a "work in progress".

If anyone at any time wants to discuss or revise any rules anywhere on the forum, feel free to do so here in Ramius's Place. Some stuff just doesn't get updated or rewritten simply due to a lack of time. If someone has free time and wants to take a stab at updating or rewriting some rules, by all means contact me. Some rules I might feel strongly about, but many I would be willing to reconsider.

<3

This place would fall apart without you. Thanks. I've been to other boards where the admins didn't give two shits about the forumers, but you sir, do an impeccable job.

Vince... on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    Vince... wrote:

I'm glad you're open to change. It's nice to know that the forums won't be permanently stuck one way and the same mishaps continually happening. Personally, I'd like to redo the rules in G&T but it isn't really my place. I might PM Alpha about it however, just to see what he says.

Shogun on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited January 2004
    there should be new G&T rules coming out some time this month. We discussed and rewrote a large portion of them in the mod forum, but with the holidays, it sort of fell by the wayside.

Ramius on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    there should be new G&T rules coming out some time this month. We discussed and rewrote a large portion of them in the mod forum, but with the holidays, it sort of fell by the wayside.

Well then. *superhero voice* My work here is done.... *fly away*

Shogun on