As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

COD:BLOPS - Play on the Black Wang, Friday night!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Figures. The days of the week I am traveling for business the patch hits. Can't wait to get home and try it out. Anyone have any impressions?
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Post-patch I keep getting disconnected from the server. Might just be a fluke, though, guess I'll check tomorrow.

Do you need me to log into the main web site and bounce it?

There were some on the previous pages but they can pretty much be summed up as "Patch? What patch? Nothing changed!" and "I give up, it's MORE broken!" It seems to have broken the game for those last lucky people the last patch didn't fuck over.

Well, serves me right for getting my hopes up. I'll still try once I land and get to the house tonight, but... I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. :(

At least not without the Scout perk.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    image0039.png

If it looks extremely uncomfortable, awkward, and carpal tunnel inducing, that's because it is!

Ah yes, the SNES Mario Kart grip.

I know you all too well.

Burtletoy on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    twmjr wrote: »
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I've definitely been killed less by the knife since the patch, and have killed more people who were flailing wildly with it.
    They borked the goddamn knife. :x

I r not happy about this.

The knife has been borked since day 1. I'm going to come out and say it: I miss commando. At least Commando was predictable. Now, I have no idea whether my knife is going to work or not. The answer is usually "probably not."

That's good - maybe people will actually use bullets instead of trying to knife someone.

Ganluan on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've definitely been killed less by the knife since the patch, and have killed more people who were flailing wildly with it.

The knife has been borked since day 1. I'm going to come out and say it: I miss commando. At least Commando was predictable. Now, I have no idea whether my knife is going to work or not. The answer is usually "probably not."

That's good - maybe people will actually use bullets instead of trying to knife someone.

This is pretty much my response. It might result in a lot more droopshooting, though.

I played a round of Nuketown this morning before heading off to the Education Camp, and literally every single person in the lobby was using a Skillet and three of them (including myself) were using the John Mccain version.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I used to want killstreaks mapped to left, down and right (first killstreak, second then third) so you could activate them independently. Now I think I'd rather they map the knife to down to be used like in Counter Strike. There are so many bullshit kills where the person isn't even CLOSE to aiming at their target, yet they get a kill. But, whatever.

Fawst on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Uhhhhhh, people use bullets all the time in this game. Maybe you've noticed all of those little things shooting at you all the time. I bet if you look at the things you're most frequently killed by, the kinfe's not really all that high up on the list.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I hate the knife because its a one hit kill. All they need to do is change it to a 2 hit kill and 1 hit kill from behind and it's fixed. The fact that a knife is more effective than a shotgun within 6 feet is stupid.

jonny439 on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jonny439 wrote: »
    I hate the knife because its a one hit kill. All they need to do is change it to a 2 hit kill and 1 hit kill from behind and it's fixed. The fact that a knife is more effective than a shotgun within 6 feet is stupid.

Cmon, what did the knife ever do to you?

*runs*

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2010
    That speaks more to how they've broken the shotguns, than to the knife being broken.

I don't understand what the difference between stabbing you in the front and stabbing you in the back is. Either way you just took a knife to some vital organ/part. Up front I can get you in the throat or heart or any other place, from behind I can ram the knife into the back of your noggin or into your spine. Either way you'd be goin' down. ... Not that realism really plays much of a role here; we play within the world that CoD says we're in. One where it takes multiple assault-rifle rounds to penetrate peoples' skulls.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    whats this patch business? i haven't played for awhile but when i launched steam this morning i didn't see anything get downloaded. console only?

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Uhhhhhh, people use bullets all the time in this game. Maybe you've noticed all of those little things shooting at you all the time. I bet if you look at the things you're most frequently killed by, the kinfe's not really all that high up on the list.

Sure, from longer range. But when my first reaction at close range should be "hit melee button" instead of "shoot bullets at mans" then the melee attack needs to be re-examined.

If the guy is literally hugging me and knifes before I get a shot off, well good for him. If he lunges through bullets or some other bullshit, that's when I get pissed off.

Ganluan on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010

Sure, from longer range. But when my first reaction at close range should be "hit melee button" instead of "shoot bullets at mans" then the melee attack needs to be re-examined.

If the guy is literally hugging me and knifes before I get a shot off, well good for him. If he lunges through bullets or some other bullshit, that's when I get pissed off.

It's a tiered system.

If you want more realism then play hardcore.

Sheep on
    edited December 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    It's a tiered system.

It's not realism, it's a design decision. Why should a melee attack overpower any gun within a certain range? If that's the case, why even have guns designed for short range encounters like that?

The knife is, at least from my view, in the game for stealth kills or when you stumble right into somebody. It's not there for running at people shooting at you hoping you can reach them prior to falling over dead.

Ganluan on
  • bhdavis1bhdavis1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, my initial response to the patch was raging frustration but I have to say that last night was one of my most enjoyable gaming sessions since release. I had an Open NAT type(for the first time) and got from lv 2 through lv 18 in about 3 hours playing HC Headquarters.

ps. I have to agree, the knife is almost useless now since the patch...making Lightweight pro and Ninja pro harder to get :(

bhdavis1 on
    PSN: bhdavis1
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can't say I gave a shit about the knife.

A guy could kill me in one hit because I was close to him...whoop de damn doo.
    It's not realism, it's a design decision. Why should a melee attack overpower any gun within a certain range?
    it's a design decision.

Dragkonias on
    edited December 2010
    Eh... I'm not quite that ambivalent about it. If I'm shooting the guy, then yeah I'm going to be unhappy that he transported through my bullets. Of course, I could have had a connection issue where not all of my bullets were hitting him, or I could have just not gotten enough bullets into him in time. Sometimes it does piss me off, but for the most part it seems to be OK to me.

Sometimes it's broken, but I feel like most of the time it's legitimate enough.

I get much more pissed off about my bullets not hitting people when I'm told I've got 4 bars. The lag can sometimes be a real bitch in this thing.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I stand by my idea of nerfing the knife range to the point where you you stab yourself.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    First prestige - loved the FAMAS. second - fell in love with the Galil, ignored the FAMAS. Third prestige - I'm going back to the FAMAS.

Still hating on the Enfield forever.

VaLiantine on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Meh, I just think basing your gameplay changes on pandering is pretty stupid, but whatever.

Dragkonias on
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh, I just think basing your gameplay changes on pandering is pretty stupid, but whatever.
    As in you think Treyarch basing their gameplay changes on pandering is pretty stupid? That's kinda... interesting, and depends a whole lot on what you define as "pandering."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Game now hardlocks on the server browser after patch

Pretty much resolved myself to the fact that I'm never going to be able to play this

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Pandering would have been bringing back quickscoping or removing the timer from the grenade launcher.

Knives still kill in one hit, but you don't have the stupid lunge that makes kniving far too effective in CQC then the CQC guns.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited December 2010
    Meh, like I said, whatever. Pandering is pandering, no matter what crowd you do it for. I really don't want to argue it either way.
    As in you think Treyarch basing their gameplay changes on pandering is pretty stupid? That's kinda... interesting, and depends a whole lot on what you define as "pandering."

Not really, I just see a lot of half-assed design decisions in the game that is obviously based on knee-jerk reaction to player commentary. But you can't say that without people biting your head off and I'm not on a crusade nor am I trying to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the game. So, like I said, whatever.

Dragkonias on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To someone it's going to be "listening to the community" to others it's going to be pandering. It depends on whether or not you actually like the design choice.

People, including the developers, have ideas of what makes CoD good/great. I think getting feedback from the community and listening to it is pretty rad, but then, they haven't nerfed anything that I like yet, so there's that.

belligerent on
    edited December 2010
    @Holi: I agree pretty much entirely. I'm glad Treyarch seems to be listening, and making some improvements. I personally have noticed the change in the knife lunge, and it's annoyed me a few times where I've missed a knife that would have previously hit, but it really doesn't affect how, and how much, I'm going to play the game. I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

Now, if they break down and bring back quick-scoping then I'll probably get a little upset.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • YetiMindTrickYetiMindTrick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Pandering would have been bringing back quickscoping or removing the timer from the grenade launcher.

Knives still kill in one hit, but you don't have the stupid lunge that makes kniving far too effective in CQC then the CQC guns.

But they did bring back quickscoping....

Prior to the patch I think I was killed maybe 4 times total by sniper rifles and it was by a person looking through the scope, following my movement, waited for me to stop and then domed me.

Last night I shot 4 times in one game by sniper rifles and they were all quickscoping. Allegedly its supposed to be more difficult than MW2 but the fact that it even exists to even a fraction is dumb.

YetiMindTrick on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i miss lightweight pro + marathon pro + command pro

knifin er'one

189% Jason Statham

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    You're a bad, bad man, DUE.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited December 2010
    Holi said what I wanted to say better, so moving on.

But they did bring back quickscoping....

Prior to the patch I think I was killed maybe 4 times total by sniper rifles and it was by a person looking through the scope, following my movement, waited for me to stop and then domed me.

Last night I shot 4 times in one game by sniper rifles and they were all quickscoping. Allegedly its supposed to be more difficult than MW2 but the fact that it even exists to even a fraction is dumb.

Were they using an ACOG? Because as Scat said, that's basically a bolt-action.

Otherwise unless the patch gives them the benefit of SoH Pro and/or auto-aim (keeping in mind that typically, QSing involved never actually looking through the scope), I don't think much has changed. Wasn't the benefits in the patch increased headshot multipliers and accuracy? Because they need something.

In saying that, if I do get QSed feel free to say 'I told you so'.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    @Holi: I agree pretty much entirely. I'm glad Treyarch seems to be listening, and making some improvements. I personally have noticed the change in the knife lunge, and it's annoyed me a few times where I've missed a knife that would have previously hit, but it really doesn't affect how, and how much, I'm going to play the game. I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

Now, if they break down and bring back quick-scoping then I'll probably get a little upset.

I wouldn't care that I couldn't knife people reliably if I felt like other people couldn't knife me reliably.

I imagine this discrepancy is due to lag/netcode bullcrap. That just aggravates me further. It seems like 75% of whether or not you do well in this game is based on whether or not you have a real 4-bar connection.

twmjr on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, netcode issues are about 99% of my frustration with the game right now. It causes all sorts of wacky hijinks.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited December 2010
    If EA can put up dedicated servers for Bad Company 2, Activision should be able to put them up for CoD. In fact, dedicated servers would eliminate a large majority of complaints about the game, from all sides, because a lot of the game's frustrations stem from connection.

Ganluan on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All of my issues with the game are due to the terrible netcode.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited December 2010
    If they could ensure that the servers could hold the playerbase and didn't break down constantly, I would be down with servers.

It would eliminate the Murphy's Law involving the other team always getting host.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    It's a tiered system.

It's not realism, it's a design decision. Why should a melee attack overpower any gun within a certain range? If that's the case, why even have guns designed for short range encounters like that?

The knife is, at least from my view, in the game for stealth kills or when you stumble right into somebody. It's not there for running at people shooting at you hoping you can reach them prior to falling over dead.

Or as they fall over dead, in case of second chance.

Also, I feel for our PC brethren. Some effort, any at all, would be nice when porting a product like this to the PC. :cry:

npc.EXE on
    edited December 2010
    npc are you trying to scare people into going to your Twitter/Formspring :P

(Because it's kinda working).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If they could ensure that the servers could hold the playerbase and didn't break down constantly, I would be down with servers.

It would eliminate the Murphy's Law involving the other team always getting host.

Would it be that difficult to make it an option? Give me the option of looking for a dedicated server, and if that fails I can always fall back on P2P until the servers are back up.

TheCanMan on
  • AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If EA can put up dedicated servers for Bad Company 2, Activision should be able to put them up for CoD. In fact, dedicated servers would eliminate a large majority of complaints about the game, from all sides, because a lot of the game's frustrations stem from connection.
    100% agree.

AhiMahi on
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think i'll just repost what Ganluan said because 90% of my bitching is about my bars. The other 10%?
    GOD DAMN JOHN McCAIN'S!

Tridus1x on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    For the past few days, I decided to revisit the thermal scopes.

Those things are worse than useless, literally: if you use one when you have hacker as your perk, you can't see equipment while scoped.

Doc on