As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heir wrote: »
    So how exactly do I acquire Noldor troops? I've got that one companion guy...but that's it.

Heck, I haven't even seen any Noldor roving bands in my game. Odd.

Which companion guy?

To recruit Noldor, you have to get a positive relation with them, then find Quigfen, or something like that. I believe he hangs out at the Laria tavern. I think you have to pay a qualis gem and he'll give you a random assortment of troops to choose from, possibly. You can also buy Noldor equipment from him.

Crap, so I can't even get their equipment by defeating them? Fooey.

I have some noldor companion...starts with a L. I don't see him in the list of companions in the wiki...but I've got him. I was mean and took his noldor sword for my own too. :)

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So how exactly do I acquire Noldor troops? I've got that one companion guy...but that's it.

Heck, I haven't even seen any Noldor roving bands in my game. Odd.

Which companion guy?

To recruit Noldor, you have to get a positive relation with them, then find Quigfen, or something like that. I believe he hangs out at the Laria tavern. I think you have to pay a qualis gem and he'll give you a random assortment of troops to choose from, possibly. You can also buy Noldor equipment from him.

Crap, so I can't even get their equipment by defeating them? Fooey.

I have some noldor companion...starts with a L. I don't see him in the list of companions in the wiki...but I've got him. I was mean and took his noldor sword for my own too. :)

Huh, didn't know there was a Noldor companion.

And you can get equipment by defeating them, but it's random just like usual.

Sir Carcass on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh, they still drop loot.

Lethaldin is my best archer, dude kills a dozen Ravensterns before my longbowmen get out of bed in the morning

Scooter on
    edited December 2010
    Scooter wrote: »

Lethaldin is my best archer, dude kills a dozen Ravensterns before my longbowmen get out of bed in the morning

Yeah that's his name. He is pretty damn good in close combat too. He's something like lvl 40 I think.

It's annoying when he joins the tournaments I'm in. Especially if he gets a bow.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Yeah that's his name. He is pretty damn good in close combat too. He's something like lvl 40 I think.

It's annoying when he joins the tournaments I'm in. Especially if he gets a bow.

don't ever join a tournament in d'shar lands then, everyone gets bows and javelins, i'm a pretty good archer but the javelins kill me, i usually look for a bow or wait til we get down to just a few people then aim for their horse and run them over til they die

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited December 2010

don't ever join a tournament in d'shar lands then, everyone gets bows and javelins, i'm a pretty good archer but the javelins kill me, i usually look for a bow or wait til we get down to just a few people then aim for their horse and run them over til they die

Yeah I stick to Empire, Sarleon or sometimes Ravenstern.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuck the Jatu, though. I play a mostly Ravenstern heavy army in my PoP game and even small warbands scare me the hell way. Notwithstanding the fact that my guy is pretty much a god, unkillable in melee unless I royally fuck up, the Jatu are the only things that will consistently one-shot me because of their goddamn lancers. I hate Jatu Lancers oh so much, since I know that a few people will die regardless of how quickly I kill them because it doesn't matter who's standing out front if a lancer manages to keep charging.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    uh

in Blood and Steel my new lords Artimmener and Jeremus are sieging my castles and looting my towns

anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

edit: someone else on the bug thread for BnS is having the same thing and I also posted there

MrDelish on
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So we should not make our companions into lords? This is good to know. Hope it gets fixed soon.

bamjo on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That's hilarious.

"Yeah remember how you used to work for the Blue Nation's king and then fucked him over? This is like that, but you are him and I'm you."

It's not a bug, it's part of their [TRAIT:AMBITION] coding :lol:

fadingathedges on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I should have also noted that I'm peasant mcrevolutionary which probably has something to do with it

Also likely related was the first quest line with the merchant was that after I finished the quest and tried talking to him he said "I'm not scared of you! To arms!" or something of the like

MrDelish on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    uh

in Blood and Steel my new lords Artimmener and Jeremus are sieging my castles and looting my towns

anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

edit: someone else on the bug thread for BnS is having the same thing and I also posted there

Huh, Alayen and Rolf are doing no such thing to me, opting instead to loot Nord villages so deep inside their territory I'd have to fight through every Nord lord just to reach them.

Docshifty on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Starting to warm up to Blood and Steel, hard to get started but when you do, hoo boy!

SkutSkut on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so i haven't found any info on the problem i'm having.
    i have all the settings turned down because i don't really have a high end comp. anyway i have been trying to play lately and the game will momentarily freeze every 3-5 seconds and i have try fixing my computer and reinstalling and patching and everything but it keeps doing it. I have had it for a while and it hasn't started doing it till recently. Any tips, suggestions, etc?

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Does it happen in other games? And have you updated to new drivers lately that you could rollback? If the problem started in the last week or two it may have to do with the new patch. A number of people have been having performance related issues since then. Take a peek at the taleworlds support forums, maybe others are having the same issue?

bamjo on
    edited December 2010
    i frigging hate pop's memory issues, i was in a siege against my castle, 400 defenders, 1500 attackers, and we were destroying them terribly, my strategy of standing in front of the siege tower and just blocking makes a lovely killing area for the archers, anyways halfway through the siege i kept freezing, normally alt tabbing and going back in fixes it, but it did it about 4 times in a row and then had such a terrible memory leak my computer was shitting itself for about 15 minutes :(

TheKoolEagle on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Normally alt-tabbing alone has a 50% chance of shutting M&B down for me.

Make sure your corpses aren't set to unlimited, no computer alive can handle 1000 at once.

Scooter on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I must have hit the M&B lottery because in 48 hours of Warband, most of that PoP, I haven't had a single crash, and I alt+tab like crazy.

Sir Carcass on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i frigging hate pop's memory issues, i was in a siege against my castle, 400 defenders, 1500 attackers, and we were destroying them terribly, my strategy of standing in front of the siege tower and just blocking makes a lovely killing area for the archers, anyways halfway through the siege i kept freezing, normally alt tabbing and going back in fixes it, but it did it about 4 times in a row and then had such a terrible memory leak my computer was shitting itself for about 15 minutes :(

Someone in the PoP WB support thread pointed out that the game is horrifically inefficient, beyond even the worst commercially produced games.

You need at least 2GB of active, free memory for the game to use to actually begin to run efficiently PoP because of that. Keep in mind that that means you have to tweak your boot.INI file for Windows if you run XP due to memory restrictions put on the OS. Otherwise you'll encounter all sorts of problems.

Of course, removing those memory restrictions in the boot file will cause all sorts of other problems if you play actual, modern, optimized games as well. Given what i've found, the issues in question can range from crashes to your desktop, to your graphics card drivers deciding to melt.

When called on the fact that the game is stupidly inefficient, and could easily be made more efficient, Fawzia posted a long ranting post about how "all this hard work went into the game and you should be grateful, etc, etc, the problem isn't the game, it's just you're not good enough (The Star Trek ENT approach to defending your position!), etc, etc, i'm important!".

Unsurprisingly, the people who were actually interested in making the game better from a technical standpoint stopped posting shortly after that.

Archonex on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    With issues like that and responses like that, coupled with Blood and Steel/Anno Domini/TEATRC sitting right there, I have no urge to bother with PoP.

Too bad, really.

Docshifty on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »
    With issues like that and responses like that, coupled with Blood and Steel/Anno Domini/TEATRC sitting right there, I have no urge to bother with PoP.

Too bad, really.

The 2GB memory issue is especially egregious when you look at a mod like Anno Domini, that simulates the entire continent of europe, and a good portion of the middle east in life-like size, has a map and battlefield system that is incredibly beautiful (Nevermind realistic.), 28 fully realized factions with their own territories, the ability to sail across the ocean, and has possibly over a thousand armies running around at one point. AD is basically Total War: Medieval Commander in everything but name at this point.

All this, while PoP is working with maybe half that many armies, the traditional small MnB WB style map, not the giganti-huge AD map, and their environmental graphics are nowhere near the level of AD.

It just seems really sloppy. I'm not sure what PoP cocked up, though I suspect that it's the battlefield armors since most of the issues are battle related.

In porting them over alot of changes were made to the graphics, and I suspect some of those graphical changes weren't optimized to work well with WB, despite what Fawzia and co. claim.

It's a shame really, too. PoP in it's MnB form was one of the best mods despite some of it's late-game balance related flaws.

But they're really just getting crushed and out-performed by some of the other mods out there at the moment, and it seems like the mod makers response to this is to stick his fingers in his ears and go "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.".

Archonex on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PoP really does just seem slopped together from the original MB version. It isn't just code and stuff too a lot of the graphics will look good but be right next to something that looks just hideous. There's just no quality control to it.

I've been having tons of problems with PoP and finally I just gave up cause it wasn't worth dealing with it. Like everyone said you got all these other really good mods that work just fine. There just isn't a point in dealing with the unwieldy lump that is PoP.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And this is how mod's die. Egotistical mod creators who think they have made their own game and deserve the reverence people have for actual studio's.

They forget that they are just amateur developers, who make mistakes. The second a mod creator starts to get a big head because of something mildly successful, their mod starts to suffer.

Sad times, it was a good concept.

Anon the Felon on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I ended up choosing my companions by choosing whoever was cheapest to hire first and it has worked out pretty well. Now when I hire one on and it starts up an argument or whatever, I take all their equipment and let em loose - so sometimes my tavern visits have a strip club vibe ... Borche is one ugly male stripper.

I sure hope the pair of Book Merchants running around eventually get new books, I could have sworn in past playthroughs in the version previous to Warband there were more books to read and collect for their +1 to a skill than that.

Is it just me or are all Kings/Sultans/Whatevers dicks when it comes to awarding tax bases? My character is sitting at a ton of points (2000+ rep, 20 rule, 100+ honor, a ton of lordly friends (21+ attitude [highest is 90 IIRC]) from partying and beating on bandits of all sorts, etc) and the Saranid Sultan pretty regularily denies my character tax bases that were hard won and instead awards them to himself. He awards a lot of places to himself, I am so going to smoke this fool just as soon as I finish building my business empire and buy a set of the best armor and situational weapons I can find.

Speaking of building, I thought someone mentioned there was a Seneschal at the Castle or somewhere around town and I am finding only my wife at one places Castle and the Guild Master walking around towns. Is my Warband native game bugged or was that poster referring to a mod that is native+? I love using my engineer skill to build stuff.

In fact, wouldn't it be sweet if there was a mod that let one use the engineer skill to build things on the map, I figure it should be possible considering the Bandit Lairs that pop up. So far all I am finding to do with the engineer skill [9(+3) on my character IIRC] is sieging faster (certainly helpful) and some reduction in the time (not sure if it is cost too) in messenger & prison for towns/castles and manor/mill/messenger/etc for the villages. Sure would be sweet if I could build roads, ranger cabins/lookouts, bridges, aqueducts, great walls, and whatever on the overland map and have more options to improve the villages/castles/towns - I remember something like that for the last version of M&B with the native expansion I think it was. Oh well, I could always go re-install one of the Age of Wonders or Civilization games I suppose, I just thought it would be a lot of fun to do some Alexander the Great / Roman empire building stuff with this game, so understandably I love trying to improve the lot of the villages/castles/towns/country faction I am put in charge of, bugs me that they keep hovering around poor/average, I want to see these buggers rich when I visit them and read their descriptions ... so far I am a horrible landlord apparently and my citizens live in squalor.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It should be noted that Pendor 3.0 for the original M&B (by the original creator, who did not do the Warband port) is almost the exact same game as the Warband version and is very very playable, even without some of the newer Warband doodads and features sloppily ripped from other Warband mods.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited December 2010
    What cannon does the Merc Cannoneers in Blood and Steel use? I want to use that one on my cannon man.

SkutSkut on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can someone explain Fantasy Persistant World to me?

Kadoken on
  • NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    What cannon does the Merc Cannoneers in Blood and Steel use? I want to use that one on my cannon man.

I don't know but oh man even on the non merc cannoneers in B&S singlehandedly won a siege for me. It was pure slaughter.

Noquar on
    edited December 2010
    It's either the Mortar or the Handgonne something, as those two share the same model, I think it may be the Mortar.

It appears they have unique shells

SkutSkut on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Can someone explain Fantasy Persistant World to me?

It's a roleplaying server essentially. You pick a role then run around pretending to be it.

Morkath on
    edited December 2010
    wow so I loaded up blood and steel mod, it is mount and blade on steroids.

The battle sizes were so much better the pop and i didn't have to worry about the game crashing every battle.

much cooler to cleave through like 50 guys then get ass pounded by guys in plate that i can't hurt but they can do crazy damage to me

TheKoolEagle on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I may end up modding the cannons out of Blood and Steel. They almost feel a little broken balance wise.

Phoenix-D on
  • AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok, I can't resist the lure of this thing anymore. As someone who has absolutely no idea how to play this game, should I get the original Mount and Blade, or go for Warband? Can I mod myself into a magic user in both games, or just the original?

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
    edited December 2010
    Only magic mod I know of is for old M&B, not sure if it is even being supported anymore. It was kinda glitchy anyway, but the spells were cool. Teleporting, fireballs, necromancy, it was amazing what they added in.

But if it were me I'd get warband. It adds some new core mechanics and all the mods are getting ported over (way too slowly for us impatient types).

bamjo on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Success!

I have managed to get Blood & Steel working on this piece of shit, 1 GB RAM, intel integrated (I think) holiday period computer with minimal battle lag when on the field. I've only had to turn everything down to Low or Off and run it in 800x600 with battle size at 85. But it doesn't chug no more.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited December 2010
    Agahnim wrote: »
    Ok, I can't resist the lure of this thing anymore. As someone who has absolutely no idea how to play this game, should I get the original Mount and Blade, or go for Warband? Can I mod myself into a magic user in both games, or just the original?

Warband. The only reason to go with the original is because of the mods, but like mentioned they're all slowly being ported. I think all of the big ones are on Warband now.

Sir Carcass on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Quick question for you guys - I bought the original M&B years ago and I know I still have the code somewhere (though it may take some effort to dig out). Does that code work with Warband as well, or is it a separate purchase?

CyberJackal on
    edited December 2010
    It's a separate purchase.

Sir Carcass on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Welp, I'm finally going to give in and try Blood and Steel. Anything I should know before I begin?

Xtarath on